Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
disney buys star trek, then we can finally have the official star wars x star trek crossover we've always wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

At least one star wars film (the patty Jenkins star fighter) has been canned and one of their mcu TV shows that nobody asked for (echo) has been thrown into one day all episodes streaming hell. They are doing alright comparatively with wb and paramount but they are not hitting numbers as well. The actual good pixar movies turning red and luca were dumped at streaming while elemental which on face value is zootopia but no furries gets destroyed in the box office. Indiana Jones cost 200 m + but is not expected to make a profit either. Like, nowhere near the disaster of the flash but that is such a unique problem I don't know who else could replicate it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Will EA and Activision swallow the old and truly metamorphize into the new monsters

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing makes me happier than seeing Disney fail while Spiderverse does gangbusters.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Disney is also already doing the "removing finished shows that they own" thing, it's just lower profile.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/disney-plus-hulu-content-removed-willow-dollface-1235618280/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't it just the Disney Vault?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

Isn't it just the Disney Vault?

No, that's about artificial value through scarcity of stuff they actually care about.

This is just cutting costs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gaius Marius posted:

Nothing makes me happier than seeing Disney fail while Spiderverse does gangbusters.

Even while Spiderverse is doing great, Sony is also sawing off the branch behind them trying to build up that dumb Sinister Sixverse so who really knows what's going to happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even while Spiderverse is doing great, Sony is also sawing off the branch behind them trying to build up that dumb Sinister Sixverse so who really knows what's going to happen.

They want Part 2 to the Spiderversw film out in March 24, and literally everyone who knows anything behind the scenes on the making of that film is saying "Lol, no".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

At least we got Venom, that sub series owns. Jury is out on Kraven, although I'm not hopeful. And Jared Leto is currently wanted by the Hague for crimes against acting; House of Gucci, Suicide Squad, and Morbius being held as evidence.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I got so mad when the big moment of the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

At least one star wars film (the patty Jenkins star fighter) has been canned and one of their mcu TV shows that nobody asked for (echo) has been thrown into one day all episodes streaming hell. They are doing alright comparatively with wb and paramount but they are not hitting numbers as well. The actual good pixar movies turning red and luca were dumped at streaming while elemental which on face value is zootopia but no furries gets destroyed in the box office. Indiana Jones cost 200 m + but is not expected to make a profit either. Like, nowhere near the disaster of the flash but that is such a unique problem I don't know who else could replicate it

Deciding to premiere Indy at Cannes was an odd choice. Like it's mostly fine by all accounts but that wasn't the right audience for it so it's had all of its momentum swept at the knees by people trashing it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shinji2015 posted:

Now I'm just imagining Star Trek getting the Star Wars treatment and shuddering in horror

You're not thinking big enough.

This summer... Wars vs Trek

(With CGI Spock)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Deciding to premiere Indy at Cannes was an odd choice. Like it's mostly fine by all accounts but that wasn't the right audience for it so it's had all of its momentum swept at the knees by people trashing it.

They wanted to show their recommitment to Theatres after the last two Pixar releases on Disney Plus, and they thought they would get the same insane reaction Top Gun Maverick did. They miscalculated, Tom Cruise and practical filmaking can win a critics crowd at cannes, cgi and centenarians cannot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

They wanted to show their recommitment to Theatres after the last two Pixar releases on Disney Plus, and they thought they would get the same insane reaction Top Gun Maverick did. They miscalculated, Tom Cruise and practical filmaking can win a critics crowd at cannes, cgi and centenarians cannot.

That makes sense. I mean, in theory. Needed more than 'it's not Crystal Skull, we promise.'

Does remind me of seeing D&D in theaters, my first time back and there was this two minute thing before the movie of the cast telling me they may fight dragons but I was the REAL hero for seeing a movie in theaters. Chris Pine did most of the talking and most of the other cast had the good decency to look vaguely embarrassed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Leto's performance in House of Gucci is:

Everyone else is an insane melodramatic person in that movie, but Leto moves himself into histrionic i'm-a-mario levels of Italian, seemingly without any hint of irony. The person it's based on surely was very ridiculous but leto's portrayal lends an air of "do not invite, he's a lot" in people's group chat messages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMariVQnHM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jered Leto is doing loving Tron now, which is really horrible for me. I adore Tron Legacy and wanted to see more of that story

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wonder why all the streaming services have turned out to be money pits. It's weird because I thought Disney plus was still doing really well.

On the other end, it seems like movies in general aren't doing great (with the exception of spiderverse). If it was just one blockbuster not making back that would be one thing, but it feels like all the summer blockbuster movies aren't doing well right at this moment. It's still early enough in the summer but that still feels unusual. Like, none of the marvel or dc movies have done particularly well this year and you can't even really blame it on the pandemic anymore.

Barbie will fix things.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Of all the actors in Morbius, Jared Leto was like the third best.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Leto's performance in House of Gucci is:

Everyone else is an insane melodramatic person in that movie, but Leto moves himself into histrionic i'm-a-mario levels of Italian, seemingly without any hint of irony. The person it's based on surely was very ridiculous but leto's portrayal lends an air of "do not invite, he's a lot" in people's group chat messages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMariVQnHM

Now I really want him in a Gallagher biopic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I AM GRANDO posted:

Now I really want him in a Gallagher biopic.

Same but as the watermelon and it’s dogme 95 style

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Happy Landfill posted:

On the other end, it seems like movies in general aren't doing great (with the exception of spiderverse). If it was just one blockbuster not making back that would be one thing, but it feels like all the summer blockbuster movies aren't doing well right at this moment. It's still early enough in the summer but that still feels unusual. Like, none of the marvel or dc movies have done particularly well this year and you can't even really blame it on the pandemic anymore.

Barbie will fix things.

If we're strictly speaking Marvel/DC, I think a lot of people have just kinda soured on those brands at this point. Marvel isn't "consistently good" anymore, its "consistently bland" at best and "frustrating embarrassment" at worst. You still get some good stuff mixed in there from time-to-time but it feels so few and far between at this point. I know the last few Marvel films our family's watched together have all been at home - why drive all the way to the theater to watch this poo poo when it'll be on Disney+ in a few months anyway?

Don't even get me loving started on DC; someone could probably write an impressive book someday on the sheer number of gently caress-ups Warner Bros. made with that franchise. Spiderverse is a banger, but A) that's very explicitly Sony and not Disney/Marvel, B) it has nothing at all to do with the MCU.

Honestly I think people are also just sick of Disney and WB's poo poo. Modern Internet + social media mean a lot of their lovely business practices are common knowledge at this point; people might be more willing to forgive stuff like that, as lovely as it sounds, if their output was good enough to "make up for it", for lack of a better term - but it's really not and hasn't been for quite a while now. Good will for your previous output only takes you so far for so long, but the more people's expectations drop, the less likely they'll be to give a poo poo about your next billion-dollar tentpole film - especially if that film has just been mired in controversy after controversy (looking at you Flash).

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Nothing DC can do nowadays can ever top the DCAU.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Nothing DC can do nowadays can ever top the DCAU.

And Bruce Timm's repeated attempts to cash in on his DCAU clout without having other moderating presences around him keeps giving us trash batman animated movies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mycot posted:

I got so mad when the big moment of the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.

We should long be done with 'putting on suit' reveals. Show them doing some iconic stunt from the comic book already. If you make a Black Bolt movie, show him on the moon in some crazy space suit or barrier shouting an asteroid away from Earth or something, I dunno.

Arc Hammer posted:

And Bruce Timm's repeated attempts to cash in on his DCAU clout without having other moderating presences around him keeps giving us trash batman animated movies.

Is he to blame for the Killing Joke movie?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Marvel had a consistent path forward towards the goal of Endgame, so even something mediocre had some interest in seeing it to "keep up" with the buildup to that. Endgame was a good jumping off point for the series, and most people did.

There's a lot of resistance to keeping something like that going after a solid stopping point, because we've seen a full arc and being expected to lock in for another decade+ for payoff is a tall order. And saturating content with series AND movies makes it worse as now there's no easy entry point to jump back in.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

Is he to blame for the Killing Joke movie?

Yes. Either him, Paul Dini, or both have been trying to push for Bruce/Barbara all these years (it was implied in Batman Beyond and slipped into the licensed BTAS comics) and The Killing Joke film is basically them getting their wish.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Honestly I think people are also just sick of Disney and WB's poo poo. Modern Internet + social media mean a lot of their lovely business practices are common knowledge at this point; people might be more willing to forgive stuff like that, as lovely as it sounds, if their output was good enough to "make up for it", for lack of a better term - but it's really not and hasn't been for quite a while now. Good will for your previous output only takes you so far for so long, but the more people's expectations drop, the less likely they'll be to give a poo poo about your next billion-dollar tentpole film - especially if that film has just been mired in controversy after controversy (looking at you Flash).
It's just a bummer because I'd hate for the conservatives to think their Disney boycott efforts are working, even though I think most of this is just franchise fatigue.

Honestly I actually thought The Flash was going to pull through and be a success, so that was a surprise. The DC movies were pretty hit or miss but they've been swinging nothing but misses this year.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I can’t care less about box office numbers, but Asteroid city beat its revenue projections and is Wes’s best opening weekend ever. Movies that are their own self contained story slap and you should go see it imo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They want Part 2 to the Spiderversw film out in March 24, and literally everyone who knows anything behind the scenes on the making of that film is saying "Lol, no".
Didn’t Enter have an original release date of last October?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Whoever would like Jelle's Marble Runs but Crockinole there's a channel for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRrpDAPk4w

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Happy Landfill posted:

It's just a bummer because I'd hate for the conservatives to think their Disney boycott efforts are working, even though I think most of this is just franchise fatigue.

I mean, conservatives were going to take credit regardless of how they performed. Anytime something they don't like underperforms in the slightest, it's because people are agreeing with them and are now boycotting woke media, and surely not because of *gestures at all sorts of plausible reasons why*

mycot posted:

Yes. Either him, Paul Dini, or both have been trying to push for Bruce/Barbara all these years (it was implied in Batman Beyond and slipped into the licensed BTAS comics) and The Killing Joke film is basically them getting their wish.

I always thought that it was mostly due to Timm, because Dini was horny for Zatanna and married someone who was basically her, which I think kept that kink from being in the DCAU more.

Well, that, and the Zatanna comic he wrote for a while

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought one or both said they liked how terrible the idea of Bruce and Barbara getting together is, or something weird like that, I forget what they said in an interview.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Shinji2015 posted:

I mean, conservatives were going to take credit regardless of how they performed. Anytime something they don't like underperforms in the slightest, it's because people are agreeing with them and are now boycotting woke media, and surely not because of *gestures at all sorts of plausible reasons why*

We saw this happen in real time with the Mario movie- it was getting blasted up to release, and I think underperformed on opening night. So you had a bunch of articles and cartoons about how the woke Mario movie (I think from Peach having agency and not being a prop to rescue and therefore... ?) and by extension Hollywood have been destroyed by being woke.

Then it started making bank and got decent/good reviews, so barely a week later the same people shifted to 'the chad Mario wrecks woke Hollywood'. There is no subtlety or self awareness for anyone banging on about the woke agenda.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought one or both said they liked how terrible the idea of Bruce and Barbara getting together is, or something weird like that, I forget what they said in an interview.

Going by the Linkara review of the Killing Joke adaptation, it sounds more like a Bruce Timm thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

Blockbusters have premiered at Cannes (and been well-received) before though. I think it might have been the wrong time to premiere it but not the wrong place.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Wonder how the flash would date if it was down at cannes lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Blockbusters have premiered at Cannes (and been well-received) before though. I think it might have been the wrong time to premiere it but not the wrong place.

I agree with the goon who said it was the wrong kind of blockbuster, thinking about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Reading about this is how I found out that Revenge of the Sith got a Cannes premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Well the people wondering whether Sterling is gonna be accept that he has to play more of FF16 to judge it are in for an unsurprising response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95NzwYg1ps&t=2s