Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly the weird thing to me is that it's a zerg virus. That's not a strategy they've ever used before or ever will again, infestation to them has always been more direct. There's nothing wrong with the zerg developing new strategies, of course, but it would probably have helped the writing to highlight that fact and make this storyline a bit more focused on containing and/or curing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quote:

I'll be honest, I don't like Donny and Kate's whole gimmick.
I've already said what I think about Donny&Kate running joke, I'll just add that if I wanted to see one unfunny joke repeated ad nauseam, I would go to r/hearthstone.

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the narrative point behind Kate is to introduce the idea that there are competent, moral, and likeable people in the Dominion, not just bastards, but I don't think making her an anchor on space Fox News alongside Tucker Carlson With Worse Hair was a good way to do it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There is one point in the game where they could have done something interesting with Donny, but because you can do these missions in any order, it doesn't lead anywhere.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Cythereal posted:

I think the narrative point behind Kate is to introduce the idea that there are competent, moral, and likeable people in the Dominion, not just bastards, but I don't think making her an anchor on space Fox News alongside Tucker Carlson With Worse Hair was a good way to do it.

Or if they still wanted to, they could easily have her do the reports for Space Tucker 'straight' and then have a separate "real" report she texts over to Raynor or is on the space internet with a nome de plume. Just getting interrupted after 5 seconds of a report to show this is dumb.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slaan posted:

Or if they still wanted to, they could easily have her do the reports for Space Tucker 'straight' and then have a separate "real" report she texts over to Raynor or is on the space internet with a nome de plume. Just getting interrupted after 5 seconds of a report to show this is dumb.

Oh that would have been neat. Have her play along with the Dominion narrative on their show then half of the broadcasts are instead her on some underground rebel network reporting the real news.

Although that opens the question of how widespread the rebel movement really is. The game is very clear that basically everyone in the Dominion is a potential rebel that just needs a push to start rising up against their oppressors, while at the same time Raynor's Raiders themselves are a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters reliant on mercenaries for muscle and shady business dealings for funding. Could have been some neat storytelling if the sector is actually full of rebel groups that are already rising up for themselves anywhere the Dominion doesn't have solid control, and you're interacting to support and/or make deals with them. That's pretty close to how it works for both the Hanson and Tosh storylines, just give them a bit more formality as their own factions that are working with you on their stuff.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Rhonne posted:

There is one point in the game where they could have done something interesting with Donny, but because you can do these missions in any order, it doesn't lead anywhere.

You mean "I had a brother there?" moment? Yeah, I hoped that will be some fresh air, but they just turned it into ableist joke.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Having the doc working on a "cure" to the Zerg virus is a bit of a weird thing. It's like, "Didn't anyone think of that earlier?" I mean, yeah, okay, we're led to believe that the Terrans were all like, "Oooh, biological weapons," and the Protoss were all like, "Burn the unclean!", but you'd think someone would've also been all like, "Can we fight it?"

And I don't think you should...? Because yeah, I never thought of it as a virus thing. A parasite, sure, that eats into you and integrates you into it. Like the Many in System Shock, or yes, obviously the Tyranids.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

painedforever posted:

Having the doc working on a "cure" to the Zerg virus is a bit of a weird thing. It's like, "Didn't anyone think of that earlier?" I mean, yeah, okay, we're led to believe that the Terrans were all like, "Oooh, biological weapons," and the Protoss were all like, "Burn the unclean!", but you'd think someone would've also been all like, "Can we fight it?"

And I don't think you should...? Because yeah, I never thought of it as a virus thing. A parasite, sure, that eats into you and integrates you into it. Like the Many in System Shock, or yes, obviously the Tyranids.

This also makes me think that the "zerg virus" in this storyline is a different thing from their normal infestation. A new vector for it that you could potentially build some sort of immunisation against, or treat people that have been infected but proper assimilation into the Swarm hasn't begun yet. Not a cure for the basic concept of zerg infestation.

They could definitely have afforded to make that clearer if that was the intention though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

This also makes me think that the "zerg virus" in this storyline is a different thing from their normal infestation. A new vector for it that you could potentially build some sort of immunisation against, or treat people that have been infected but proper assimilation into the Swarm hasn't begun yet. Not a cure for the basic concept of zerg infestation.

They could definitely have afforded to make that clearer if that was the intention though.

Strange as it sounds, I do think the idea is she is somehow trying to research a cure for Zerg Infestation in general - Zerg Infestation and the "Zerg Hyperevolutionary Virus" have come to refer to the same thing, from what I understand.

The Doctor is honestly probably fighting a losing battle - she herself says that conventional wisdom says a cure is impossible, as the virus mutates too quickly. But I suppose we'll see how she does.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if the zerg virus is truly a virus, all you'd need is a single larvae to obtain a pure, unmutated sample. that's the purpose of larvae, they're the genetic libraries of the zerg and that's how they morph into any zerg unit (and if they become a drone first, any zerg building)

it's pretty loving stupid that Dawn Of War II has a more believable and reasonable "curing the virus" storyline than SC2 where you can toss a larva in a bag and be like "alright let's get your wiggly rear end to the lab"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

painedforever posted:

I think in the SC1 manual when they talked about the origins of the Zerg (so le-ancient lore) The original form of the zerg was a bug/parasite that would hook to the base of the spinal cord/nervous system and seize control that way.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Calax posted:

I think in the SC1 manual when they talked about the origins of the Zerg (so le-ancient lore) The original form of the zerg was a bug/parasite that would hook to the base of the spinal cord/nervous system and seize control that way.

That's pretty much what was in my head. A ganglia of nerve cells that insinuate themselves into the person's CNS and then slowly take over. Instruct the body to form different types of cells that produce mucus or organic barbs or whatever weird stuff is part of Zerg bio-weaponry.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep, and each zerg form is actually a separate species that the zerg took over entirely at some point in their expansion. So they took over a planet and adapted the 'best' lifeform for the hive, consuming the rest.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Slaan posted:

Yep, and each zerg form is actually a separate species that the zerg took over entirely at some point in their expansion. So they took over a planet and adapted the 'best' lifeform for the hive, consuming the rest.

Which makes the fact that their first instinct was to turn humans into bombs a bit of an insult to our usefulness.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

going back a bit to the cutscene at the end of mission 3 - matt tells the crew to spin up drives 3 and 6 instead of, you know, everything we got. and then he waits for his watch to hit 12. not like we're in a rush or anything.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Viruses being involved in infestation isn't that wild an idea, really. Some kind of retrovirus is probably their main means of twisting an infested lifeform to mutate zerg-y bits, even if it's delivered via parasites. But it's also never really explained in that way until this point, to my knowledge, so it feels like a bit of a leap. Plus the zerg just haven't done it this way before, and everyone's talking about it like it's known. Unless it was explained and presented in a book between the games, in which case, bleh, drat expanded universes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kith posted:

it's pretty loving stupid that Dawn Of War II has a more believable and reasonable "curing the virus" storyline than SC2 where you can toss a larva in a bag and be like "alright let's get your wiggly rear end to the lab"

In Dawn of War 2, it's a much more sensible story for trying to cure a particular toxin, not a disease. Coming up with an antidote to a particular chemical poison is very different from trying to cure a disease.

Starcraft 2's plot seems to struggle with the difference between diseases, parasites, acids, and toxins. It's all green goop to them.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Which makes the fact that their first instinct was to turn humans into bombs a bit of an insult to our usefulness.
I mean, they aren’t wrong, since Terrans/humans are basically all about tech rather than natural physical prowess. Marines and Firebats in their suits, special units like Ghosts and Medics with specialized tech, piloted vehicles, etc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah the dow 2 toxin plot is split into 2 parts

1) we need a sample of their special goop so that we can design a poison to yeet into their fleet via the whole hive mind thing.

2) I guess kill the animal that poisoned our buddy so we can save him.

2 isn't actually that far off reality. And while we don't have psychic hive minds in reality, understanding something's body is an important step in making a poison that breaks it.

As opposed to here, where everyone is being so loving vague the thread doesn't even have a consensus on what the hell is even being looked at for a cure.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cythereal posted:

Starcraft 2's plot seems to struggle with the difference between diseases, parasites, acids, and toxins. It's all green goop to them.

Oddly prescient, given that COVID hadn't happened yet. :v:

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah that's the major reason I'm not bothering with going over how units fare in multi like the SC1 LP.

Like the Hellion alone has major number differences going from Wings to Wings MP, gets a massive overhaul in HotS, and gets further changes in LotV. All the while other units are being added or tweaked which can all influence mech compositions. I'd either have to thoroughly research the life of a Hellion from day 1 of SC2, or cover just the modern era and talk about a unit that's completely different to what you see in the campaign. And that's for a unit that was mostly the same as their MP counterpart! By the time we hit LotV, every unit will have drastic upgrades and changes over MP so there'd be no real way to do an MP writeup.

It just isn't worth the effort, really.

While there are some significant changes (e.g., concussive shell isn't an AOE in MP), the biggest difference tends to be how the units are used. Most campaign upgrades are just very strong versions of what differentiates the MP from the Campaign unit.

Also, general question, but in Void the game clock was fixed to accurately reflect real world time. I haven't checked to see if that change was made retroactive in previous releases--Campaign or MP.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Felinoid posted:

disposablewords posted:

Viruses being involved in infestation isn't that wild an idea, really. Some kind of retrovirus is probably their main means of twisting an infested lifeform to mutate zerg-y bits, even if it's delivered via parasites. But it's also never really explained in that way until this point, to my knowledge, so it feels like a bit of a leap. Plus the zerg just haven't done it this way before, and everyone's talking about it like it's known. Unless it was explained and presented in a book between the games, in which case, bleh, drat expanded universes.

Given that Kerrigan spent 3 missions worth of time in a chrysalis (and that might have been months, given the situation/missions involved), it implies that turning Terran into gasbags is either the leftovers of a failed infestation or the Quick-And-Dirty version of infestation, which makes a lot of sense. In this way the fact that infesting a building now actually doesn't turn Terrans into explosive bags of gas is a progression, albeit one that doesn't really matter, since their main use is expendable shock troops and well, that's Zerg's whole thing. Certain expanded universe stuff implies that Kerrigan is doing the same thing the Overmind did to her, that is, experimenting with infesting various humans for genetic compatibility/psionic potential, which is internally consistent with the larger SC2 narrative structure.

Also, I've seen at least one theory that Tosh referring to Hanson as a 'Honeypot' and her situation at the end of this missions line (if you don't side with her) suggests the whole thing is a situation created by Kerrigan to distract Jim from the artifact business, in which case it would be a tailor made infestation virus strain. But that kind of strains credibility in the face of Blizzard 'subtlety' (Either Not telling you anything, but vaguely alluding to it, being very unsubtle).

I think it's probably just an excuse to show off Day/Night cycles and do a Zombie thing. A lot of SC2 Missions to me kind of feel like Blizzard doing RTS Stuff, but also Flexing the capabilities of the Engine to potential modders and the like, since at the time WC3 custom maps had extended the life of that game a hundredfold, not to mention the creation of DOTA and in a roundabout way probably WoW.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
There is also a chance that Hanson is making up all that "zerg virus" poo poo and she just want to experiment on zerg stuff and colonists as suggested by that renegade ghost guy who has yet to appear .

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Felinoid posted:

Yeah, canonically the only humans that Zerg had a use for beyond IED's were those with psionic potential, like Kerrigan.

Cythereal posted:

In Dawn of War 2, it's a much more sensible story for trying to cure a particular toxin, not a disease. Coming up with an antidote to a particular chemical poison is very different from trying to cure a disease.

I think you mean it's all green corruption to Chris Metzen. :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

Fair, but this is also a setting where someone was de-infested prior to this point (and it's not like the writers forgot about that character, considering that they show up later and get referenced several times before that). Solving the problem is something that's been done before - hell, Raynor was even there for it. My point remains that SC2's narrative of "find the cure" just kinda... sucks for multiple reasons.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unit Spotlight: Marauder

Overview:
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 25 gas, 2 supply
  • Production Structure: Barracks w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 100
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Attack: 10 (+1), +10 (+1) vs Armored
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1.5
  • Attributes: Biological, Armored
The Marauder is the perfect complement to the Marine. They're bulky, and their anti-Armored attack helps take down heavier targets a Marine would have to chip away at.

Armory Upgrades:

Concussive Shells
  • Cost: 70,000 Credits
  • Marauder attack slows all units in target area by 50%.
Concussive Shells actually form a gravitational warp when they detonate. This warp not only damages the target, but it also slows the movement speed of all nearby units to a crawl for a short period of time.

Concussive Shells make Marauders a great support unit against melee units, in addition to their traditional role of destroying armored targets.

Frankly, the anti-Armor is nice, but Concussive Shells is what makes a mixed Marine-Marauder army so deadly.

See, the thing about melee units is that until they can physically reach your army, they have effectively 0 DPS. A Zergling could do 1 damage a hit, it could do a million billion damage, it means absolutely nothing until it can cross the gap and start attacking.

Throw in a few Marauders, with their 50%, area slow, and every melee enemy in the game takes twice as long to become a threat, letting you thin out approaching attacks and reduce the damage you take. Any high threat ranged units which don't care about slows tend to be Armored, which the Marauder already deals with.

Grab this, throw a handful of Marauders in every army from here on out, laugh anything from Zerglings or Zealots all the way to Ultralisks and Archons become complete non-threats.

Kinetic Foam
  • Cost: 90,000 Credits
  • Unit gains +25 life.
Marauder armor can survive crushing impacts, but the same cannot always be said for the soldier inside. To help solve this problem, Wolfe Industries offers a Kinetic Foam undersuit that protects the soldier from the violent impacts the armor takes. Surely the lives of your Marauders are worth the small investment required to outfit them with Kinetic Foam.

A decent boost to survivability, but 90K credits is a bit of a steep cost for a unit that has respectable bulk out the box. Grab it if you can swing the cash, but don't be afraid to save it for other units.

Mercenary: Hammer Security

A private security firm based in the Kel-Morian Combine. H-Sec provides corporate security, and often finds itself at odds with the Dominion.
  • Hiring Cost: 30,000 Credits
  • Mission Cost: 250 minerals, 75 gas, 4 supply
  • Squad Size: 2 Marauders
  • Hiring Cap: 2 squads
  • Cooldown: 6 minutes
  • Stat boosts: +25% Health, +20% Damage
They're dirt cheap, both to hire and to make, and they make your already good Marauders even better. Grabbing these are a no-brainer.

Field Manual Artwork

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Szarrukin posted:

There is also a chance that Hanson is making up all that "zerg virus" poo poo and she just want to experiment on zerg stuff and colonists as suggested by that renegade ghost guy who has yet to appear .

I was under the impression that that character was suggesting that Hanson was in fact infested, just covertly.

The Zerg going Invasion of the Body Snatchers on Terrans would probably be a lot more in-character than a virus with someone like Kerrigan at the helm who would understand the value of spying on the Dominion.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Marauders are great and never bought, because you only need a few and why build a tech lab when you can call Hammer Securities instead?

(Mercs are amazing).

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I absolutely love field manual.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I don't think it's that direct, but I'll wait to go into more detail about my thoughts until we reach the conclusion of the Hanson plot. We haven't gotten that far yet, after all.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Marauders are one of my favorite units in the game including expansions, in both SP and MP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, canonically the only humans that Zerg had a use for beyond IED's were those with psionic potential, like Kerrigan.

I think SC1 EU stuff (whether it was a book or a comic, I do not remember) showed that if a captured Terran didn't even have a sufficient psionic makeup they would basically go brain dead from the zergification process, and so the only use the Overmind could think up was to turn them into man-powered IEDs. The story I specifically remember this for was one where Kerrigan captured a UED medic and was experimenting to see if she could get the same results as the Overmind got when creating the Queen of Blades. After a certain point, the medic's personality got erased and Kerrigan's reaction was basically that Top Gear meme

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Aces High posted:

I think SC1 EU stuff (whether it was a book or a comic, I do not remember) showed that if a captured Terran didn't even have a sufficient psionic makeup they would basically go brain dead from the zergification process, and so the only use the Overmind could think up was to turn them into man-powered IEDs. The story I specifically remember this for was one where Kerrigan captured a UED medic and was experimenting to see if she could get the same results as the Overmind got when creating the Queen of Blades. After a certain point, the medic's personality got erased and Kerrigan's reaction was basically that Top Gear meme

How much SC1/SC2 EU stuff exists outside of the games, anyway? I assume smaller volumes than for Warcraft.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
These some pre and post Starcraft I EU stuff

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

not too sure on how much stuff SC1 had, the short story I was describing was this one https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/StarCraft:_Hybrid and it was printed in Amazing Stories back in 2000. I don't think Blizzard did a whole lot of EU stuff until the 00s, likely to bring new fans to series, and outside of small lore stories like this they didn't do much with StarCraft until Liberty's Crusade in 2001, around the same time as Lord of the Clans came out (the book version of the cancelled game) and Legacy of Blood (the first Diablo book).

I actually paid money for Legacy of Blood (though I never finished it) but I distinctly remember there being StarCraft and WarCraft novels nearby as well. I guess Blizzard did a big push all at once for their 3 big franchises at the time but I feel that WarCraft was the one that really took off with LOTS of EU works, probably because WarCraft 3 was on the horizon and then WoW not too long after as compared to StarCraft Ghost being cancelled and nothing happening with Diablo until 3 was announced in...2008 or 2009?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, a Diablo novel.

I'm sure it can't be as entertaining as it is in my mind.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PurpleXVI posted:

How much SC1/SC2 EU stuff exists outside of the games, anyway? I assume smaller volumes than for Warcraft.

Much smaller. There were a handful of tie-in novels and such released after Brood War but the EU engine didn't really get revved up until a year or two prior to SC2. There's been a respectable amount of novels, short stories, and comics since then, but nothing on the scale of Warcraft from what I can tell.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

PurpleXVI posted:

God, a Diablo novel.

I'm sure it can't be as entertaining as it is in my mind.

There's over a dozen. Most of them are by Richard K. Knaak, inventor of half of the worst self-insert WoW characters (Rhonin, Krasus, Broxigar)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pieces of Peace posted:

There's over a dozen. Most of them are by Richard K. Knaak, inventor of half of the worst self-insert WoW characters (Rhonin, Krasus, Broxigar)

...that's a lot of self-inserts for one man.

Hey Cyth, any chance of a look at the most atrocious writer self-inserts in one of the next lore posts? :v: Might be funny to have them all in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey Cyth, any chance of a look at the most atrocious writer self-inserts in one of the next lore posts? :v: Might be funny to have them all in one place.

Wrong thread. :v: I've never read a single Starcraft book and I don't intend to start.