Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Ashes 2023: MCC suspends three members over Australia Long Room confrontations - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66082409

There was absolutely racism

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Eh I dunno, if there was racism Khawaja would have described it as a bit more than 'disrespectful'

Probably just called em cheating cunts as is good and proper

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Didn't get to watch live unfortunately but

There is a lovely compilation of broad being a glorious oval office on the BBC sport website

The Ashes: England's Stuart Broad clashes with Australia after Bairstow dismissal - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66082649

As much as broad annoys me that is hilarious.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Broad was perfect, I'll take no notes on his performance.

Full oval office, mouthing off, complete hypocrisy considering his history. And he stood there and copped a beating in bouncers.

He should get a knighthood for it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I like Broad. He might be the funniest test cricketer ever. His career has been ridiculous for these strange comedy moments.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Broad owns. He’s so funny.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
:allears: 10:55 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmiw2O_vsY

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Even better with the English commentators loving it

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
That's the thing it's so loving common that the backlash comes off as completely bizarre to me.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Trip report.

So went to day four and day five of the test at Lords, the bouncer barrage was a bit tiresome and the crowd chanting "same old Aussies, always cheating" pretty continuously was very effectively annoying.

Got to watch Lyon's last hurrah on English soil, watched Stokes masterclass in concentration (seeing the 50-partnership for Stokes/Broad sign come up with Broad on 1 was funny) that should have been taken on by Bairstow. Broad pantomiming getting back in the crease for the rest of his stay was pretty funny too.

All in all, was glad I spent the weekend there. If you don't like a bit of bant, it won't be fun to be an Aussie in the crowd at Leeds I am sure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It wasn't even a cuntish thing to do, it was just smart cricket. The malding from the english press and players is just pathetic, especially after all the footage emerging of them doing the exact same thing. The hypocrisy alone should cost them the moral ashes.

lol I did that to someone when I was still playing. Gloved the ball, held it for a couple of seconds and then got the bails off when the batsman lifted his foot to rebalance. Didn't bother appealing to the umpire, just started celebrating so the umpire just gave him out assuming he'd missed something blatant.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

a real chump posted:

That's the thing it's so loving common that the backlash comes off as completely bizarre to me.

It's way less bizarre when you just assume they are terrible sports who are crying about being on the wrong end for once

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

iajanus posted:

It's way less bizarre when you just assume they are terrible sports who are crying about being on the wrong end for once

Also the poms don't need much of an excuse to have a big old whinge. Anything to distract from the weather and the dying economy since brexit I guess

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

It wasn't even a cuntish thing to do, it was just smart cricket. The malding from the english press and players is just pathetic, especially after all the footage emerging of them doing the exact same thing. The hypocrisy alone should cost them the moral ashes.

lol I did that to someone when I was still playing. Gloved the ball, held it for a couple of seconds and then got the bails off when the batsman lifted his foot to rebalance. Didn't bother appealing to the umpire, just started celebrating so the umpire just gave him out assuming he'd missed something blatant.

Anything bad anyone has ever done in world cricket from ball tampering, to racism, to corruption and bribery has been done as bad as or worse by England and they still try so hard to paint themselves as the moral standard and playing the game the right way.

Theyre honestly just a bit poo poo at cricket and worse at losing.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I think an extra point in Carey's favour is that he throws the ball at the stumps before Bairstow even moves out of his crease. He pretty much catches the ball and almost instantly throws it at the stumps.

It's not a case of waiting for him to get half way down the pitch and then stumping him. He pre-empts that Bairstow will probably just walk out of his crease before the ball is dead because he's been doing it for his entire innings, and sure enough he does exactly that.

Contrast that with Bairstow literally hovering over the stumps with the ball right next to the bail, poised just waiting for a player's foot to lift for a split second.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 3, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Australia’s greatest newspaper on point as usual

Betoota Advocate posted:

Stuart Broad Apparently Now A Judge On The Spirit Of Cricket

In some breaking news from the ‘home of cricket’ this morning, it can be confirmed that English fast bowler Stuart Broad is now the moral arbiter on what is and isn’t within the ‘spirit of cricket.’

The man known for being a cheat, and bragging about being a cheat, and laughing about being a cheat has come out to reveal that the Australian cricket team are a bunch of bad sports.

The furore comes following Alex Carey’s decision to catch big dopey Johnny Bairstow napping down the wicket before the play is dead.

That legally and morally valid play has incensed the English cricket team and the pompous toffs that made up the crowd at Lords, with unanimous cries of cheating and foul play.

With chants of cheats ringing through the crowd, it was confirmed that everyone had forgotten Bairstow tried to get Marnus out in the exact same fashion earlier this test match, Stuart Broad celebrated wildly when Ollie Pope took a Kiwi wicket in similar circumstances and the spiritual guru Brendon ‘Baz’ McCullum literally whipped the bails of Murali’s stumps when he went to celebrate Kumar Sangakkara making a hundred or when Baz did the exact same thing to Paul Collingwood.

However, all those examples of breaching the spirit of cricket aren’t valid, as England play Bazball and that means they can do whatever they want.

It’s also believed that Stuart Broad refusing to walk after nicking a delivery to FIRST loving SLIP was totally within the spirit of the game, despite it being an incorrect decision in regards to a completely legal decision.

As a result of the above, it has now been definitively confirmed that Australia are a bunch cheating dogs who are ruining the fabric of cricket by being good.

Despite all that England are still philosophically up 2-0 in the Ashes series because they play Bazzzballlllll, ohhhhhhhhhh Bazzzzballllll and are saving cricket from itself.

More to come.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The whole thing is stupid. Bairstow did put his bat down, which is the universal sign of being "in." He shouldn't have walked off straight afterward though.

I get the feeling he will be throwing the ball at the wicket for every ball in the first innings of the next test, if he isn't dropped. Which will be funny to watch as he will probably miss 50% of the time.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Collateral posted:

The whole thing is stupid. Bairstow did put his bat down, which is the universal sign of being "in." He shouldn't have walked off straight afterward though.

He doesn't get to unilaterally decide the ball is dead. If he had of turned around instead of ambling straight out of his crease he would have seen the ball hurtling towards the stumps.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Yeh I'm looking forward to the English petulence for the rest of the series and awakening the Waugh era cuntism in Cumball.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

glasnost toyboy posted:

He doesn't get to unilaterally decide the ball is dead. If he had of turned around instead of ambling straight out of his crease he would have seen the ball hurtling towards the stumps.

Yeah, I know. Every batsman does it. If he had taken a breath Carey would have handed the ball off. He just grounded and walked.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

gay picnic defence posted:

Also the poms don't need much of an excuse to have a big old whinge. Anything to distract from the weather and the dying economy since brexit I guess

you got a source for poms doing that?

(but being serious, the embarrassing red trouser brigade antics seem to have taken some sting out of the media whinging thank god. playing devils advocate: the team have to scrounge together a siege mentality from anything they can cos they’re not very good, and they were always gonna do the steve peters positivity, 2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline, poo poo as well)

Potts and Ahmed have been dropped from the squad apparently. so at least they are not going to throw the young spinner to the wolves again. but I don’t see how they can rest broad and Anderson with the bowlers that leaves. gotta call someone up or hope broad can make it through all five on pure oval office energy

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Social media was a mistake

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has anyone in this thread said Carey did anything remotely wrong?

Feel like everyone is on the same page and just laughing at the hypocrisy.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

*Taps the sign*

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Collateral posted:

Yeah, I know. Every batsman does it. If he had taken a breath Carey would have handed the ball off. He just grounded and walked.

he absolutely never grounds, just scratches at the crease with his foot then walks off, the pure twisting and sooking going on, nonce island has the rickets

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Mister Chief posted:

A couple have said it shouldn't have been out (dead ball), i think someone else said the appeal should have been withdrawn, but not a word against Carey specifically as far as I recall.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Let's post about different funny things in this test match like Pope "fielding" with 1 arm and hurting himself even more.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Is it true that he was asked to field by the umpires? Something about playing with a known injury?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

That one Kiwi guy had an absolute meltdown over it

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hyperriker posted:

i think someone else said the appeal should have been withdrawn, but not a word against Carey specifically as far as I recall.

I'm in this camp. Carey's a wicketkeeper, a certain amount of cuntery is expected.

I thought they should have withdrawn the appeal, but completely understand why they didn't.

Also also, I've just seen the below article and now basically want Australia to try this every ball just to spite Boycott

https://twitter.com/telecricket/status/1675811452668485632?t=dMslMPAFog3_9MdTiFKSxQ&s=19

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Geoff Boycott is a wife beater. Also Theresa May's favorite cricketer.

So even if you ignore everything else about him:

He is by very definition a oval office of the highest calibre.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I thought he was dead.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Hyperriker posted:

Is it true that he was asked to field by the umpires? Something about playing with a known injury?

Yeh I dunno it seemed like they were talking to Stokes when he went off but I have no idea what they expected him to do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mister Chief posted:

I thought he was dead.

He was removed from TMS before the Pakistan series 3 years ago, at the time the official word was that covid restrictions weren't going to work with him being an 80 year old who'd just had a quadruple bypass. Boycott himself thinks it's because he's sexist and racist (he retweeted something along the lines of "not being allowed to be a white male at the bbc") and him not returning is not a surprise when they're trying to have more women in the commentary booth.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
boycott once hopped into my twitter DMs to call me a "loving idiot" because i took issue with his climate change denialism

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lol what a dickhead just die you old oval office

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

glasnost toyboy posted:

That one Kiwi guy had an absolute meltdown over it

I'm very calm actually, and this is victory wine.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Will all this nonsense fire England up for Thursday or exhaust them. Ordinarily you would assume the latter, but Stokes and Bairstow are completely loving bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Why should the appeal have been withdrawn though

"Sorry I embarrassed the guy by being able to do the thing he tried and failed to do"