Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

haveblue posted:

(c) have a cultural claim to it like Maoris, which is also almost certainly not the case here

Even then, while I don't have the right to set standards, it probably doesn't apply to random designs inked by a buddy's buddy. I imagine many Maoris would scoff at someone who did that if they used "It's part of my culture!" as the reason.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking an older man to show me his ID before he could purchase beer and cigarettes?

"I believe strongly in following the rules by the book": I love you Gen Z, I really do, but you can be exhausting on this point.

[huffs and puffs then hands over ID he had with him]: Come on, Gen X. That be Boomer ish.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

AITA for refusing to shave my hair and donate it??

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bright Bart posted:

Even then, while I don't have the right to set standards, it probably doesn't apply to random designs inked by a buddy's buddy. I imagine many Maoris would scoff at someone who did that if they used "It's part of my culture!" as the reason.

"I believe strongly in following the rules by the book": I love you Gen Z, I really do, but you can be exhausting on this point.

[huffs and puffs then hands over ID he had with him]: Come on, Gen X. That be Boomer ish.

I just read an article about how Gen Z is disgruntled and the most likely age group to leave jobs and the comments section was a giant wankfest of retirees complaining about young people and tHeY'rE aLwAyS oN tHeIr PhOnEs. It was pathetic. I'm so glad employees have real power all of a sudden. It's such a drastic change some people will never get over it, and I'm happy.

quote:

DEAR ABBY: I am a 29-year-old housewife with a loving husband, a caring mother and equally supportive in-laws. I’m writing because I feel useless. I don’t even have a hobby I’m good at. Although I like to play music, draw and play with cats, I don’t think I’m good at any of them, despite others telling me otherwise.

My friends and family are better off than I am. My friend is participating in a skating competition, my brother is working toward becoming an electrician, and my husband’s first cousin is an illustrator whose book recently got published. Because of this, I have developed low self-esteem and argue with those around me.

I can’t afford college because I have no job. I tried applying for a few only to be turned down. Abby, I haven’t accomplished anything special. All I want is to be good at SOMETHING, but I’m afraid it will blow up in my face. I can’t accept criticism.

I’m at a loss about what to do. I’m ready to give up on everything. Why should I keep trying when I know I will get the same bad results? -- TALENTLESS IN OHIO

And a headline from the "what did you think would happen files: Dear Annie: I remarried my ex and our relationship is mediocre at best

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bright Bart posted:

If you work at a gas station or whatever, they are random stings constantly so its way better to play it safe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
AITA for refusing to change how I talk?

quote:

For context, I'm (21F) Chinese. If you're east asian or know anyone from there, you're probably familiar with the expression "Ai Yah". Similar to how people would say Jesus Christ in western culture if something surprising happens or if you're disappointed with something is another example.

I work in a cafe. I've been doing this for a few years now and know the shop and procedures inside out. I'm in charge with training new baristas and teaching them the things we do for health and safety and how to keep the cafe running efficiently.

There's someone new who I'm in charge of training up, Elisa (19F). I don't want to be harsh but she isn't good at the job, nothing has stuck in her brain. Everything I tell her seems to go in one ear and out the other. She has a review in a few weeks and i'm 99% sure she's going to fail.

Today on the job, she lowered the milk jug from under the steam wand when the wand wasn't turned off and hot milk went everywhere. She screamed, I turned and saw it which is when I exclaimed "Ai Yah" out of shock and turned it off because she was frozen. This is Day 1 stuff when we teach newbies how to use the espresso machine safely. Luckily, neither of us were burned and it was just a blip.

After our shift, Elisa asked what I meant when I said Ai Yah so I told her. I was surprised about what happened and I thought she would have remembered to turn the steam wand off because it's not exactly quiet. She asked me why I couldn't say something else because Ai Yah felt like I was using my own language to insult her knowing she doesn't speak it. I told her that it was just how I talk given I am Chinese and that she's being ridiculous, and it was lucky that I was around to turn the steam wand off because she was too scared to do it.

She did not press further but then our boss messaged me later saying that Elisa felt uncomfortable on the shift today and I was asked to refrain from speaking in my language on the job. I refused and explained my view that for Elisa to say that to me felt like she was being discriminatory and now both Elisa and I have to come into work earlier to sort this out with our boss. AITA?

This one is really dumb because "ai yah" doesn't even have a formal meaning, it's just an exclamation of surprise or exasperation

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

trickybiscuits posted:

I just read an article about how Gen Z is disgruntled and the most likely age group to leave jobs and the comments section was a giant wankfest of retirees complaining about young people and tHeY'rE aLwAyS oN tHeIr PhOnEs. It was pathetic. I'm so glad employees have real power all of a sudden. It's such a drastic change some people will never get over it, and I'm happy.

Yeah, my previous employer tripled my workload and when the time came to renew my contract, faffed around for months and eventually only offered me a one year extension. Then when I walked out because I had been jobsearching for the past two months they were shocked that I would do this to them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

For anyone curious who doesn’t know, the red hat society is from this poem:

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/
That's mostly cool...

quote:

And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
But gently caress that part. That's just theft.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

CitizenKain posted:

If you work at a gas station or whatever, they are random stings constantly so its way better to play it safe.

Even without stings, you'd be shocked at how old people can look. A lot of people where I work are straight out of high school, but could easily pass for 25 or 26 when grungy and worn from work. Could probably push that even higher with a deliberate effort.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Americans get so loving weird about people speaking other languages, I think I already told my dude muttering "speak English" at Norwegians.... in Norway.

It's not like OP is cursing at her in Chinese for 5 minutes, she explained what ai yah means! You can Google it!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Please don't lay that on all of us. Having a complex about people speaking more than one language is just one more flag for the insecurity collectathon.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Elviscat posted:

Americans get so loving weird about people speaking other languages, I think I already told my dude muttering "speak English" at Norwegians.... in Norway.

It's not like OP is cursing at her in Chinese for 5 minutes, she explained what ai yah means! You can Google it!

And for that matter, you can probably tell from the tone what she's saying too. "Ai yah!" "Oh, are you discussing stock prices?"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
TIFU by kissing my girl best friend and now I think I’m in love

quote:

I (16M) went to a party to have some fun and relax after finals with my class, we were all pretty drunk and having a blast, I remember going indoors because most of the people were outside and I needed to lay down, next thing I know she (15F) is laying besides me, basically on top of me, we lay like that a bit while most of the people left to go home, a bit later we end up talking with three others who were still there and we end up kissing right there on the couch.
A couple days go by and I think nothing much about it, but when we met up today I felt kind of a tingling in my stomach and I think I’ve fallen for her.

Please help me I don’t know what to do, and I don’t want to mess up our friendship.
TL;DR I messed up by kissing my girl best friend and now I think I’m in love with her

Usually TIFU is someone’s humiliation fetish Jack material but this one was cute.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the coworker is nervous about her speaking another language, coworker should just also start saying ai yah and get other people to pick it up so it’ll become English and then there’s no problem

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Tonight on Dateline: When Kissing the Homie Goes Wrong

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Weight loss cruise lmao

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The whole point of a cruise is to eat as much as you want while doing nothing and not feel bad about yourself because you're in International Waters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A weight loss cruise is just one of those trips where everyone catches giardia from the salad bar or something and gets stuck quarantined in the harbor

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bright Bart posted:

The whole point of a cruise is to eat as much as you want while doing nothing and not feel bad about yourself because you're in International Waters.

Yeah. Do that whilst losing weight, and bingo! You're on a weight loss cruise.

Just steal some money from your grieving siblings to fund it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bright Bart posted:

Makes me think about the crab dude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pirate Radar posted:

If the coworker is nervous about her speaking another language, coworker should just also start saying ai yah and get other people to pick it up so it’ll become English and then there’s no problem

Is that how Gesundheit got started

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is that how Gesundheit got started

See also: the entire English language

But isn't "ai yi yi" basically the same thing, and widely used in American media as an expression of shock/dismay?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atticus_1354 posted:

AITA for demanding that my girlfriend clear out her " escape" bank account?

I loving despise this man.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tarezax posted:

AITA for refusing to change how I talk?

The malicious compliance approach to this would be to report every time a coworker uses a loan word.

Elise keeps calling the coffee shop a "café" and I don't appreciate her forcing foreign European words on us.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Someone very smart that I know once laughed at me for calling it a CV. What, are you French? he asked.

I'm like Oh sorry I'll use the very American word résumé.

Except he conceded the point. And he was an engineer so that was surprising actually.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I feel exhausted just reading this one!

AITA for telling my wife there is no point in wasting my time arguing with her?

quote:

Literally, not figuratively, every single time I have argued with my wife about anything important she ends up getting her way.

I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her but I have better ways to spend a few hours than arguing with her.

I have exactly two ways of dealing with her. I either give in immediately or I do whatever I want and then deal with her afterwards.

For example, I wanted to get a new propane grill as my old one was one that I bought on college and it was almost completely rusted out inside. So I popped over to Walmart and bought a new grill. Got home and tossed the old one.

She asked me why I hadn't talked to her about it and I said I was the only one who used it and it needed replacing. Showed her pictures of the rusty guys of the old one. She agreed but was still salty.

An example the other way is our vacation this summer. I wanted to go to Oregon and do some outdoors stuff. She wanted to visit her family in Vermont. Well there are plenty of outdoors on Vermont so I just agreed with her. Turns out she wanted me to argue for Oregon but last time I tried to argue for a vacation location she accused me of financial abuse and cried, for the record she has full access to all of our money.

Once she got off the phone with her folks she went off on me for not sticking to my guns on Oregon. I reminded her what she does when she doesn't get her way and she said I was being an rear end in a top hat for bringing it up.

I started over and pointed out that I tried to have input on our wedding and got none because, it was her day and she wanted it to be perfect". When we were house shopping she hated every house I liked and we ended up with one she loved and most of my stuff in a storage locker.

I told her I like to have an enjoyable life and I found out a long time ago that arguing with her wasn't worth my time.

She called me an rear end in a top hat and left. She went over to her sister's. I have been going through all the stuff I have recorded to watch that she doesn't like. I usually have to watch it when she has a weekend shift. It's been three days and she still wants me to apologize.

AITA?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Verdict: Stay married forever. But probably don't have any kids.

e: What's something both milder, because nobody has done anything truly harmful or terrible, and at the same time harsher than ESH, because it's more frustrating to read?

EHII, Everyone Here Is Insufferable?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 3, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gnoman posted:

Even without stings, you'd be shocked at how old people can look. A lot of people where I work are straight out of high school, but could easily pass for 25 or 26 when grungy and worn from work. Could probably push that even higher with a deliberate effort.

The cops also make drat sure to use the oldest-looking person they can find for the stings. I was in line behind one of the kids sent in to do a sting purchase and he had a nearly fully formed bald spot.

I guess sending the oldest looking one is the same thing that kids wanting booze for a party do but it feels slimy as gently caress.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
"Ai yah" shares etymological roots with similar expressions in other languages, like "ai yoh" in Sinhala, and "eheu" in Latin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Technocrat posted:

"Ai yah" shares etymological roots with similar expressions in other languages, like "ai yoh" in Sinhala, and "eheu" in Latin

I feel like it's just that whole set of noises that humans are prone to make when surprised, excited or otherwise feeling strong sudden emotion.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it's just that whole set of noises that humans are prone to make when surprised, excited or otherwise feeling strong sudden emotion.

I call those "personal insults" and my days are very interesting

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Evil Willow posted:

I feel exhausted just reading this one!

AITA for telling my wife there is no point in wasting my time arguing with her?

Just makes me very grateful that I have a wife that doesn't play mind games like that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bright Bart posted:

Verdict: Stay married forever. But probably don't have any kids.

e: What's something noth milder, because nobody has done anything truly harmful or terrible, and at the same time harsher than ESH, because it's more frustrating to read?

EHII, Everyone Here Is Insufferable?

Did You Only Marry This Person Because They Were The First Human Being You Met Who Was Willing To gently caress You?

The acronym sucks though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a while there's been verdicts of 'Stay together just so no one else has to deal with either of you'.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Shifty Pony posted:

The cops also make drat sure to use the oldest-looking person they can find for the stings. I was in line behind one of the kids sent in to do a sting purchase and he had a nearly fully formed bald spot.

I guess sending the oldest looking one is the same thing that kids wanting booze for a party do but it feels slimy as gently caress.

I'll never feel as cool as I did when the Korean guy that sold me cigarettes underage assured me that he'd continue to sell me cigarettes, even though he started ID'ing everyone else, after being busted and fined multiple times by the cops.

Later he sold me packs of Korean cigarettes for $2/pack with no tax stamp.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for not helping my little brother out when he got sick at a family wedding

quote:

I (M23) and my brother “Ryan” (19) went to a family wedding yesterday.

To cut to the chase, he’s an over eater. This has always been an issue but as of lately since he moved out it’s skyrocketed. During the wedding I noticed he was eating an abnormal amount of food. First he went to an all you can eat candy table and filled his plate to the top with candy. Then he ended up going back and forth from the candy table to the buffet.
I noticed he went back and forth at least 3 times with full plates. I decided to walk over to him and say something because it was out of control. I went over to him and warned him that he’s over eating and that he might get sick again like he has in the past. He got mad at me for bring up his past and told me to mind my business. I decided to ignore him and go to the dance floor.

A half hour later I see him briskly walking over to me with a horrified look on his face. He pulled me aside and right away I noticed something was wrong and he smelled. He told me to follow him to the bathroom and I realized as we were walking there that he was holding his rear end walking weird and smelling like poo poo. I immediately scolded him and flat out asked if he poo poo his pants. He said wait until we get in the bathroom but I snapped and started saying what the hell is wrong with you.

Once we got to the bathroom he told me to block the door and I said no other people need to use this. He said he has to clean his pants and if I can’t block the door while he does it then to get someone else to help him. At the point I was so mad I said gently caress no I’ll just mind my own business then and went to walk out. As I was walking out, our grandpa walked in and saw him taking off his pants to run it under the sink. Our grandpa just looked at us both and walked out. I walked out too because I was so embarrassed to be associated with this.

Somehow it spread and I heard people whispering about it and some even laughing. He ended up leaving and not going to the family brunch today. I never wanted to be involved in this and I tried to warn him, I’m upset because he’s not answering my texts and just want this to be forgotten.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hi grandpa

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bright Bart posted:

Someone very smart that I know once laughed at me for calling it a CV. What, are you French? he asked.

I'm like Oh sorry I'll use the very American word résumé.

Except he conceded the point. And he was an engineer so that was surprising actually.

But... But CV is Latin...

Elviscat posted:

Not to sound creepy, but I looked over your posts and couldn't find this anecdote. I'd like to hear it!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 3, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Samovar posted:

But... But CV is Latin...

He was from the USA and we were studying at McGill. So the joke was about being French Canadian and they do indeed use the term CV. But what I was pointing out was that the term people south of the border use is more French than the term the French use.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I'll never feel as cool as I did when the Korean guy that sold me cigarettes underage assured me that he'd continue to sell me cigarettes, even though he started ID'ing everyone else, after being busted and fined multiple times by the cops.

Later he sold me packs of Korean cigarettes for $2/pack with no tax stamp.

Being tight with smugglers or being tight with people who are tight with smugglers is an extremely good life hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for not helping my little brother out when he got sick at a family wedding

So, the brother is ill in some way and needs help?