Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xand_Man posted:

Not really because that sounds sick as hell

You could probably make it awesome if you just leaned fully into the absurdity of it, which is what Equilibrium did. But as it is the main characters are often just moving to their preplanned positions to line up their weapon with the next guy who comes into frame. Just add some sizzle and it'd be great - maybe there's psychic flashes, maybe it's spider sense, maybe it's math. I don't care, I just get bored with stuff like this

And that's frankly done a lot better than most. It's even worse when they're moving into position too early - not far off from fight scenes being worse when the hero starts to telegraph his blocks before the adversary is swinging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

In fact, someone mentioned before about a film scene with someone's shooting being too perfect, but Punisher had an example "flawless multiple gun kills" done right. The alleyway scene where you see the 6 man group leader talking but Frank is already sizing up the targets and planning his move instead of engaging in the talk. When it's go time you see him execute his plan while moving his body and focusing on each target quickly but effectively.

That's actually a great comparison/contrast. All six or so guys are right in front of him, he can see them all and plan out what he's going to do. John Wick 2 pulls the same thing at the beginning of the museum shootout, in a shot that was so extremely cool they stuck it front and centre in the trailer. Switching between targets that are all in your field of vision is something that has a comprehensible cognitive process behind it. It's just the speed with which the actors/characters can do it that's exceptional.

Also, yeah, the whole scene through the bar was excellent. Punisher season 2 was kind of poo poo but goddamn it had two absolutely outstanding set pieces.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Everyone thinks that Daredevil's famed hallway fight is amazing because its a oner. And sure! that's true. But its also fantastic because you can physically see Daredevil gradually tire, punch by punch.

Interesting. I thought it was the opposite. As he gets more tired, his choreography includes more elaborate poo poo. It ends with a leaping spinning downward kick into a breakfall. Their idea of 'he fights tired' is to throw flipkicks in between extremely limp punches that the stuntman nevertheless sells like they were thrown by Deontay Wilder. They did a much better job in the subsequent seasons.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

There was a similar (if more Hollywood) scene in Rambo (4th movie) on the boat where you see him sizing up the targets while trying to talk his way out and then unleashing a barrage of pre-planned pistol shots. It doesn't feel miraculous, it feels like "holy gently caress, this guy is a highly trained monster"

Yesssssss!

It starts at about 1:22. He’s been trying to talk his way out of it but once he realizes that’s not going to work, he starts slowly scoping out each pirate, and then…

https://youtu.be/h_N5IH-bWNE

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

All the stuff about fun stunts made me think of district 13. That movie was great

C'EST BAGHDAD

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I finally remembered to watch Hard Boiled last night

Wish I'd seen it in fuckin 1992, it would have blown the top of my skull off. Still really great as is. Where the gently caress did Mad Dog keep getting those grenades from??

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phy posted:

Where the gently caress did Mad Dog keep getting those grenades from??

The Woo Zone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This six-shot revolver has over a 200 round capacity!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

This six-shot revolver has over a 200 round capacity!

Reload by leaping through broken windows

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shotguns not only take out the enemy but the wall behind and around them.

Goddamn, Hard Boiled was really good.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I played a tabletop character who was a planar entity from the elemental demiplane of John Woo. It was a dual-wielding flock of doves in a trenchcoat

Gamma World

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 5, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Phy posted:

I finally remembered to watch Hard Boiled last night

Wish I'd seen it in fuckin 1992, it would have blown the top of my skull off. Still really great as is. Where the gently caress did Mad Dog keep getting those grenades from??

I saw it in 1993 in the Army where some guy with family in Indonesia got a bootleg tape and it was pretty mindblowing.
Hong Kong movies were just getting some exposure at the time, I remember seeing a trailer for Saviour Of The Soul being played as part of a trailer reel in a video store and it also looking cool as hell, unlike anything else. Blocking the slide of a gun with your sword!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xvtifp2yUA

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Mark Dacascos is in the new season of warrior if you needed yet another reason to watch

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of, here's a fun story about how they landed him. https://www.polygon.com/23778565/warrior-season-3-max-hbo-move-cinemax-mark-dacascos-cast Always love to see more goodness from Dustin Nguyen

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Interesting. I thought it was the opposite. As he gets more tired, his choreography includes more elaborate poo poo. It ends with a leaping spinning downward kick into a breakfall. Their idea of 'he fights tired' is to throw flipkicks in between extremely limp punches that the stuntman nevertheless sells like they were thrown by Deontay Wilder. They did a much better job in the subsequent seasons.
This is accidentally a thing that does in happen in fights, but mosty with less experienced fighters. They start trying to finish the fight with big power moves, flying knees, spinning poo poo and whatnot because they dont have the gas to execute their gameplan so they start looking for a quick way out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's also Daredevil. When I watch/read Daredevil he better not be just throwing haymakers, tired or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I always forget that Joe Taslim is a really accomplished judo guy. I want to see him get grips and seoi-nage (shoulder throw) a guy through the floor.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Extraction 2 was fun, like a Strike Back highlight reel turned into a movie.

One thing that must have been a nod to video gaming was Hemsworth using a ladder as cover from heavy machine gun fire. Ladders are infamously solid in video games as no one bothers to make a complex object with holes, just a solid, transparent thing with a ladder picture.
Also, what's up with the Gunn's hate for Central Europan police department? First Prague and now Vienna had dozens of their cops mowed down.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

It's also Daredevil. When I watch/read Daredevil he better not be just throwing haymakers, tired or not.

Oh, he can throw them, and indeed should, but it's not what he should be throwing as he's running out of gas. The same guy who can barely throw a punch at that point in the fight also being able to throw flawless spinning kicks doesn't work for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know what you were saying, I just don't agree. Daredevil is a comicbook superhero so I want him going the extra mile with the fight choreography whether he's tired or not. I tune in to get '80s White Dude Ninja.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I know what you were saying, I just don't agree. Daredevil is a comicbook superhero so I want him going the extra mile with the fight choreography whether he's tired or not. I tune in to get '80s White Dude Ninja.

And that isn't what the Netflix show did.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is Rambo 4 more or less badass than I'm remembering it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

Could go either way I suppose. More because it feels more brutal and graphic than most action movies you see today, but also less because a lot of the digital stuff doesn't hold up so great.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Basebf555 posted:

Could go either way I suppose. More because it feels more brutal and graphic than most action movies you see today, but also less because a lot of the digital stuff doesn't hold up so great.

Fair enough.

You think there will ever be another scene like the punisher prison fight from daredevil in a marvel thing?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Google Butt posted:

I don't know how you remember it, but more.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Rambo 4 is certainly badass in places, but it has The Night Comes For Us-levels of uncomfortably vicious violence. Possibly even more uncomfortable since that violence mostly directed at harmless, innocent people instead of wave after wave of machete-brandishing goon. But when Rambo retaliates, he retaliates hard.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I might have said this upthread, but when I saw Rambo 4 there was a bunch of kids who were obviously treating it as a "let's go watch some cheesy action flick" date movie. They went very quiet after a few minutes, and there might have been some walkouts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Watched M:I Ghost Protocol again for my series rewatch and I totally forgot about the whole Hendricks/Wistrom fakeout. It's like they needed at least one mask moment in the film but it wasn't clear why the main bad guy would pose as his own henchman. For the audience, I suppose maybe it establishes for later that the bad guy can hold his own physically against Hunt but it feels like it was done just for adding salt to the wound when the mission fails because the whole point of the mission was moot in hindsight.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Grendels Dad posted:

Rambo 4 is certainly badass in places, but it has The Night Comes For Us-levels of uncomfortably vicious violence. Possibly even more uncomfortable since that violence mostly directed at harmless, innocent people instead of wave after wave of machete-brandishing goon. But when Rambo retaliates, he retaliates hard.

It is way too much in my opinion. Just watch the last 15/20 minutes because the majority of that film is just innocents being tortured or abused

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just remembered the existence of The Art of War. No wonder Snipes was so (rightfully) pissed off that he was being pushed out of the Blade franchise. Everything else was stink city.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It didn't even look good at the time. It's a very weird film. on the one hand, hundreds of people getting shot in half is a pretty good time. On the other, there's some impressively gratuitous and nasty violence directed towards civilians in the first half, including children getting bayoneted and babies thrown into fires spoilered just in case.

Rambo has always had that clear structure where he needs to be pushed to violence. Rambo 4 goes all in on the pushing being as brutal as possible.

The last film, however, is completely irredeemable poo poo. There's a whole essay on what a piece of poo poo it is. In addition to its racism, simplified politics and gender roles, it's just really poorly made.

Disposable Scud posted:

Just remembered the existence of The Art of War. No wonder Snipes was so (rightfully) pissed off that he was being pushed out of the Blade franchise. Everything else was stink city.

I have a soft spot for that movie. It's not that it's good, but there's a couple of very nice looking sequences that belong in a better movie. Plus Biehn is a surprisingly effective bad guys

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You've never seen the Abyss?

The mustache goatee situation alone

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was absolutely shocked when I walked out of the theater after seeing Rambo 4.

Like, it was a film that came out of the “ultra-realistic war violence” era and I’d seen most of those.

But R4 was just on a level way, way above that.

Having said all that, I have it on Blu and I do a marathon of Rambo: First Blood Part 2 and R4 about once a year. As disturbing as 4 is, I still think it’s a great watch. And 2 is just peak 80s action fare.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

It didn't even look good at the time. It's a very weird film. on the one hand, hundreds of people getting shot in half is a pretty good time. On the other, there's some impressively gratuitous and nasty violence directed towards civilians in the first half, including children getting bayoneted and babies thrown into fires spoilered just in case.

Rambo has always had that clear structure where he needs to be pushed to violence. Rambo 4 goes all in on the pushing being as brutal as possible.

The last film, however, is completely irredeemable poo poo. There's a whole essay on what a piece of poo poo it is. In addition to its racism, simplified politics and gender roles, it's just really poorly made.

I think I heard that Stallone wasn't in Creed III because there was some creative disagreement about what they wanted to do with Rocky in that movie, is there any truth to that? Because if Stallone cared about stuff like that, I have no idea how Rambo 5 came into existence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

I think I heard that Stallone wasn't in Creed III because there was some creative disagreement about what they wanted to do with Rocky in that movie, is there any truth to that? Because if Stallone cared about stuff like that, I have no idea how Rambo 5 came into existence.

Good luck sifting through all the nonsense when it comes to Stallone stuff. It seems like there's a story surrounding every movie he's ever been attached to. He's always feuding with somebody.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone on here, perhaps in this thread or the greenlighted thread, talked about the many rejected Rambo sequel ideas, including Rambo being called in when a group of genetically engineered super soldiers go rogue. I think he's a lot less...precious about what happens to John Rambo.

Also, 5 is just a list of right wing tropes based on a half remembered Tom Clancy novel, which is pretty in line with Stallone's politics in general. 4 is as well (keep in mind that Rambo helps Christian brown people) but it's a less commonly repeated trope so it's easier to look past. It's also just a better made movie. Seriously, the last Rambo is so loving bad I kind of still can't believe it exists.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Watched the two Extraction films today. Man, if they were cut down to a lean hour twenty then they'd be great. Unfortunately, we live in the era of every movie being too long so you have to slog through a bunch of generic Netflix movie to get to the good stuff. I have to imagine that the prison sequence in 2 was an homage to Raid 2.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

shovel wife ftw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh yea and thinking of it the church at the end is probably an homage to The Killer.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The structure of extraction 2 was really odd. After the big skyscraper setpiece,.it almost ended up being a nearly action free denoument but instead we got a wasted Daniel Bernhardt, dramatic hostage situation done poorly, then seemingly multiple endings lotr style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The prison sequence and the skyscraper sequence are like two great action shorts trapped inside a mediocre Russo Bros production