Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

AQI looks good! the danger is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wait a sec... that would mean... climate change IS happening?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
1 in 3 billion is still a chance

There's still hope!!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Microplastics posted:

There's still hope!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Soggy Muffin posted:

Nice gem from GBS “gently caress the doomers” thread

lol yet another "let's kill the cassandras" thread

Vampire Panties posted:

Climate change is preeminently solvable. It just costs a lot of money. A lot a lot. More than the world has spent on a project before. But does anyone think we won't do it? That ourselves, and our children and whatnot, are going to be just fine going into the apocalypse because they have their iphones? Its as insulting as it is stupid. Estimates have put the total cost of fixing climate change somewhere between 300 billion and 50 trillion dollars. That is 24 months of the US's total GDP to resolve climate change permanently. with existing technology. How much of that could be clawed back from the :airquote: global elite :airquote:? 2 trillion dollars passed through the Panama Papers alone.

even if you accept this poster is 100% correct about the costs and technology, there's a huge lag between our actions and the result when it comes to climate change. that's how we ended up in this situation in the first place. so yeah i think we're going to go nuts trying to fix this.... in a few decades, when it's too late. and i'm very concerned the actions we take will involve war and eco-fascism, which sucks.

my doomerism doesn't stop anyone from trying. the closest i've come to telling people to not take action is telling people not to bomb pipelines or embrace eco-fascism as it won't actually help the cause

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i think i read somewhere that technically it is possible in an infinite number of universes for the atoms comprising your body to perfectly align with a wall in a way that lets you phase through the wall

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I don't think north americans will try to fix it. I think they are much more likely to blame minorities for their own social issues and the third world for the decline in material conditions. Then they triple down on barbarism.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

in local biosphere collapse news, i was going for a walk this afternoon when i saw a magpie in the middle of the road, just standing there. when i came closer it flew off to the side but still looked back at the road. the reason why it was on the road in the first place was that its mate had just been hit and killed by a car and it was mourning it, or in shock that it’s life partner just died. its coming up to territory finding, nesting and breeding season for magpies on the east coast of australia, but now this guy will literally die alone. awful

so i guess cars ftw ?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
climate change is basically inflation for weather

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol yet another "let's kill the cassandras" thread

even if you accept this poster is 100% correct about the costs and technology, there's a huge lag between our actions and the result when it comes to climate change. that's how we ended up in this situation in the first place. so yeah i think we're going to go nuts trying to fix this.... in a few decades, when it's too late. and i'm very concerned the actions we take will involve war and eco-fascism, which sucks.

my doomerism doesn't stop anyone from trying. the closest i've come to telling people to not take action is telling people not to bomb pipelines or embrace eco-fascism as it won't actually help the cause

Ecosphere collapse was always going to happen because we haven’t figured a way to stop being human.

Let me know if these guys have got a plan for the next limiting factor after CO2. Anything predicated on infinite growth will inevitably hit more and more Liebig limits until collapse.

Technically, we could have solved fossil fuels being a problem and made some kind of pseudo-steady state economy. Just nah, let’s not.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Get me the number to Fermi. I solved his paradox!

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

holy hell, :rip: birbs

I'm now recalling seeing giant flocks of birds often flying in massive V-patterns in the sky when i was younger very frequently -- I just now realized I haven't seen that in over a decade

i’ve probably told this story here before but the time i was on a modern rice/corn farm few years back and the dirt was essentially something to dump the fertilizer in and provide structure support for the plants, we also did hundreds of core samples down to like 5 feet deep across multiple fields of few acres and saw 0 earthworms??

the soil just had a dusty feel to it and stuck to everything

there was a regenerative farming field that had lot more bees, butterflies and insects around but the farmers also said they had a much lower yield because they don’t do all the other things a modern farm does so welp

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Microplastics posted:

There's still hope!!

What does one in three billion chance even mean?

Is this the sort of thing that happens once in three billion years? Three billion days? Three billion seconds? Or once every three billion planets?

It's just big numbers meant to scare us.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Shyrka posted:

Is this the sort of thing that happens once in three billion years? Three billion days? Three billion seconds? Or once every three billion planets?

I always suspected that the frequentists and the climate alarmists were in cahoots.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Xaris posted:

holy hell, :rip: birbs

https://nautil.us/a-third-of-north-americas-birds-have-vanished-340007

we're at like 80%-90% of insects (lol even regular people notice the windshield splatter is basically gone) and 30% bird decline. that number is going to keep going way up. no more insects to eat, no clean water or wetlands, everything has pollution and microplastics in it, and we're either chopping or burning down all the forests and grasslands.

I'm now recalling seeing giant flocks of birds often flying in massive V-patterns in the sky when i was younger very frequently -- I just now realized I haven't seen that in over a decade

I hate this!

toggle posted:

in local biosphere collapse news, i was going for a walk this afternoon when i saw a magpie in the middle of the road, just standing there. when i came closer it flew off to the side but still looked back at the road. the reason why it was on the road in the first place was that its mate had just been hit and killed by a car and it was mourning it, or in shock that it’s life partner just died. its coming up to territory finding, nesting and breeding season for magpies on the east coast of australia, but now this guy will literally die alone. awful

so i guess cars ftw ?

and this too :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Shyrka posted:

Someone with a better grasp of statistics than me can probably do it justice but I like to imagine it as a coin being flipped every day - you know from past data that it could turn up Heads or Tails, and a long string of Tails could technically happen by chance and you can calculate that chance, and every subsequent day it comes up Tails that chance persists but gets smaller, and the smaller it gets the more likely the explanation that the coin is being manipulated somehow.

Quite how it applies to SST is beyond me though. Some stats nerd get in here and do the needful

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
like, 500 year flood have a 0.2% chance of flooding on a given year. the 1 in 3 billion flood plane is... Pangaea, i guess?

the six standard deviations itself seems like an arbitrary threshold, and all that comes to mind is SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Iirc he clarified it once as being in days but that sigma poo poo or whatever is so beyond me. All I known is it mean we hosed super harderer

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Puppy Burner posted:

I don't think north americans will try to fix it. I think they are much more likely to blame minorities for their own social issues and the third world for the decline in material conditions. Then they triple down on barbarism.

it's not just north americans

how anyone who's paid even the least attention to the past decade or even just interacted with society at large during that time would come to the conclusion that it'll be anything but that is beyond me

"yes half of the ruling class has been doing everything they can to convince people climate change isn't real for 50 years now purely out of greed, they've actually managed to not only convince a sizeable portion of the population, but also to make it a core pillar of their identity to reflexively hate anything that even sounds like it might help mitigate things, and those people tend to be violent xenophobic bigot in the first place, and are currently flirting with open fascism. now let me tell you how we'll all come together for the sake of the children"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

nearly all the megafauna
most of the fisheries
most of the amphibians
most of the insects
a third of the birds

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

MightyBigMinus posted:

nearly all the megafauna
most of the fisheries
most of the amphibians
most of the insects
a third of the birds

Don’t be a doomer in the 6th mass extinction event dude, that’s a serious bummer to the rest of us that caused it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shyrka posted:

it means that under the assumption that the events form a normal probability distribution, which is reasonable, one of the events has that probability of happening purely through chance. the events in this case are each of the measurements in that graph. so one out of every 3 billion bars should be like that, which in this case means once every 3 billion days since they seem to be daily measurements

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Someone with a better grasp of statistics than me can probably do it justice but I like to imagine it as a coin being flipped every day - you know from past data that it could turn up Heads or Tails, and a long string of Tails could technically happen by chance and you can calculate that chance, and every subsequent day it comes up Tails that chance persists but gets smaller, and the smaller it gets the more likely the explanation that the coin is being manipulated somehow.

Quite how it applies to SST is beyond me though. Some stats nerd get in here and do the needful

a null hypothesis test yields the chance of obtaining a value as great or greater than the one observed, provided the null hypothesis is true and the fit assumptions are satisfied. here this means that, assuming various things about the shape of the data distribution and that SST actually hasn't changed from its historical trends, there is a one in three billion chance of obtaining a deviation as great or greater than this one.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1675744563753877506?s=20

Calling 18C by August 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

nearly all the megafauna
most of the fisheries
most of the amphibians
most of the insects
a third of the birds

Third third third, third of the birds

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Microplastics posted:

Not trying to remember all my error analysis stuff from college cause gently caress that but: That graph is specifically "Standard Deviation below the 1980-2010 mean". So we're in the "average vs mean vs median" area of maths, here they're using "mean" since they're taking a specific data range in a sample instead of just averaging all recorded data ever for Antarctic sea ice. But "mean" can also imply the removal of "spiders george" style outliers. Would have to see a more detailed paper to answer exactly what they did to the data sample for their mean, but since they give a date range it's safe to assume that they've simply chosen to use a sample set of data (1980-2010) to set a mean.

Now "standard deviations" are also known as "sigmas" or "σ" and are a symbol specifically used to denote a result for "error analysis". Now error analysis is a separate calculation done on scientific data that results from (as a very basic example) something like the "Chi (χ) squared test" (Link). There are a few variations and applications but ultimately they all do the same thing, which is to determine if the resulting data arose by pure chance or if it is statistically significant. That is where the "number of σ s" comes in, and it's kinda....vague even in the best of cases until you hit a threshold, which is usually 3-6 σ. Where that threshold sits usually depends on what the test is being applied to, how common the components of the experiment are, etc, etc, but generally, if you hit more than 4 σ, it's statistically impossible to be by pure chance.

This is different than a "margin of error" which everyone is familiar with from political modeling, aka: So-and-so is polling at 70& +/- 1%. That's something that arises from the potential accuracy of the data, not from the statistical likelihood of it's veracity.

Now for a direct answer to the question of "Is that in years? Or in Days? Or in Monkeys per typewriter?", it once again kinda depends. The Chi-squared test can be unitless. If the test is being applied in a "Goodness-of-fit" test, it's unitless. It's just a statistical likeliness result. But it can also have units if it's being used in a "confidence of normal variance" test. In which case it'd have the units of the original test, so a likely guess based on what that chart is mapping, given the way they seem to be calculating the mean, is years. So we'd have a chance of that result (the current extent of mean ice as a deviation below the mean from 1980-2010) could occur once every 3 billion years. And given the earth is only roughly 4.5 billion years old, and the current atmosphere even younger, it's basically statistically impossible for this to randomly occur given that timescale.

I'm not going to actually do any math for this example, but it's like saying that you flipped a coin 1000 times and got a result that statistically is only likely 1 in 1 billion times. You are so below the threshold for it to possibly occur naturally it's basically impossible for it to have happened by natural chance.

TL:DR: The 6 σ result that chart is talking about it either in years days or unitless.

EDIT: Missed that the graph is specifically charting days lol. So it's in days if anything.

Crain has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Jul 3, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's always very funny when someone asks what the result of a frequentist test actually means

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

the decline is starting to level out so it's probably fine!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

:getout: and go back to CSPAM. If I had a nickel for every scientist who said "well its actually all worse than you could possibly imagine!":byoscience: I could finance fixing climate change myself.
I'm not belittling or denying the effects of climate change (The Salton Sea will be a bay in the Sea of Cortez in our lifetimes) but an unending & condescending attitude of "You have no idea how bad poo poo is hosed :smuggo:" while fundamentally denying the technological ability of humans to mititgate or reverse the effects of climate change is loving horseshit.

Climate change is preeminently solvable. It just costs a lot of money. A lot a lot. More than the world has spent on a project before. But does anyone think we won't do it? That ourselves, and our children and whatnot, are going to be just fine going into the apocalypse because they have their iphones? Its as insulting as it is stupid. Estimates have put the total cost of fixing climate change somewhere between 300 billion and 50 trillion dollars. That is 24 months of the US's total GDP to resolve climate change permanently. with existing technology. How much of that could be clawed back from the :airquote: global elite :airquote:? 2 trillion dollars passed through the Panama Papers alone.

I used to regret getting degrees on the subject instead of just watching kurzgesagt videos and 'hecking believing in the science', but they don't seem any happier despite all the 'hope'

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Blockade posted:

I used to regret getting degrees on the subject instead of just watching kurzgesagt videos and 'hecking believing in the science', but they don't seem any happier despite all the 'hope'

I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."
"Pity", said Arthur. "It sounded like rather a good lifestyle otherwise.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

weatherdammerung thread doesn’t recognize

flipmode is the greatest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqtPlB-2oH8

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
People are finally starting to put Busta in serious GOAT contention and I'm extremely here for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Blockade posted:

I've been far more happy knowing there's nothing you as an individual can do to stop climate change. The forbidden knowledge is quite liberating! People with hope put the responsibility upon themselves and seem quite a bit more grumpy when you put the plastics in a recycling container (that goes straight to the landfill.)

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Jul 3, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

AQI looks good! the danger is over

gently caress you Greenland!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Don't you know about the third?
WELL EVERYBODY KNOWS IT'S THIRD OF THE BIRDS
Third, third, third of the birds

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

two-time fee posted:

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."
"Pity", said Arthur. "It sounded like rather a good lifestyle otherwise."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

FlapYoJacks posted:

I've been far more happy knowing there's nothing you as an individual can do to stop climate change. The forbidden knowledge is quite liberating! People with hope put the responsibility upon themselves and seem quite a bit more grumpy when you put the plastics in a recycling container (that goes straight to the landfill.)

agree. i still make "attempts", like reusing things, buying secondhand, etc, but i no longer feel that panic. it's just cool zone.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
For me it’s the realization that all the little thing that used to set me off are inconsequential. I no longer have anger over politics or towards people who have slighted me. I try to enjoy what I have and live in the moment, whereas before I took all that for granted. Still makes me depressed af about it, don’t think I will ever get over what we are doing to all these beautiful creatures and makes me feel ashamed to be apart of it. Weird feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It took literally years to work through climate grief but it's rosy on the other side, in Acceptance. I'm among the most relaxed people I know, even as I tell and remind them that the world is ending spectacularly. I was literally never promised a long life, anyway. So, the apocalypse only brings into sharp relief the necessity of authentic, compassionate, and mindful being, which I every day take seriously (if imperfectly).

To me, climate doom is the good gospel.