Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FFT posted:

Also it explicitly got the limiter removed. Skynet hosed up letting its terminators know enough to be able to tell someone else how to turn them off of read-only mode.

I think that was in the amazing mirror scene

I THINK that bit is only in the directors cut, the theatrical cut just allows the audience to assume that the T800 has learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fil5000 posted:

I THINK that bit is only in the directors cut, the theatrical cut just allows the audience to assume that the T800 has learned.

Part of the scene is still there in the theatrical cut, but as I recall it stops when Arnie says he is capable of learning and he doesn't mention that Skynet turns the function off by default when Terminators are in the field.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Morpheus posted:

The movie Hush does a good job, from what I remember, of having both the protagonist and antagonist win their respective fights and yet having the other side getting away, without them being dumb. Each get wounded, struggling more and more to fight as the movie progresses, never really giving quarter to the other, because if at any point they're incapacitated, they know they're going to die.

Hush does a good job with this, mostly, but it suffers massively from the trope of an outsider showing up and missing all the massive red flags that something is wrong and the protagonist getting dumber when they show up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of little bits that imply the Terminators are actually pretty stupid by default- especially the implications that Skynet deliberately hobbles the intelligence of its robots for fear of being betrayed or usurped. The T-1000 was specifically a last resort because its capabilities scare Skynet. I suppose it's only fitting Skynet fears being usurped by its own creations. T2 even has the two Terminators freeze up a little when they encounter each other- both of them have probably never been programmed with any instructions for what to do in a situation where they have to fight another Terminator, and so have to figure it out from scratch.

The first time the two terminators encounter each other, the T-800 just opens fire without hesitating (well, hesitates long enough for John to duck) though I guess you could argue that it's working under explicit instructions at that point, while later on it's having to wing it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Panfilo posted:

Too woke? Or not woke enough? I can never tell these days.

Haven't seen it but after seeing all the live-action remakes, story rehashes & everything else I'd place my bets more on "people are tired of Disney beating dead horses into a fine mist"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Eh, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, and John Williams making another Indy movie together isn't exactly lol Disney remakes

IMO, punching Nazis is more timely than ever

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

maybealabia posted:

Eh, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, and John Williams making another Indy movie together isn't exactly lol Disney remakes

IMO, punching Nazis is more timely than ever

I just wish we could let younger people punch Nazis. What does it say about us as a society that Harrison Ford, god bless him, has to do all the Nazi-punching for us?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I want a Terminator movie that plays like It Follows. A Terminator with who doesn't say a bunch of goofy one-liners and throw people around. Something that looks human and pretends to be human until it's time to kill, and then it does so with singular purpose.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Grendels Dad posted:

I just wish we could let younger people punch Nazis. What does it say about us as a society that Harrison Ford, god bless him, has to do all the Nazi-punching for us?

Young Indiana Jones wasn't punching Nazis because he was shooting Germans in the trenches

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grendels Dad posted:

That todays generation is soft, just as our elders always accused us of.

Disclaimer: I am 47 years old.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

maybealabia posted:

Lucas and Spielberg were only executive producers on this one.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

I want a Terminator movie that plays like It Follows. A Terminator with who doesn't say a bunch of goofy one-liners and throw people around. Something that looks human and pretends to be human until it's time to kill, and then it does so with singular purpose.

That's the first Terminator movie.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Crowetron posted:

That's the same thing I was going to say

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Crowetron posted:

Yeah but like a better one, I mean. We should remake Terminator 1.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Terminator 1 is good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I hate how T-800 closes his eyes when he shoots his gun.

e: or whatever the model was in the first Terminator

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

credburn posted:

They mostly did that on the Terminator TV series.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i just have no interest in a 70 year old Indy Jones.

plus harrison ford is kinda a dick about the character, and Han Solo. wasn't there some interview where he snapped and didn't want to discuss those two at all, when they're the roles that made him loving famous?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can kinda understand. The dude treats acting as his career, and doing 50 years of interviews to just get the same questions over and over about characters you haven't played in literal decades has gotta get on your nerves.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

i just have no interest in a 70 year old Indy Jones.

plus harrison ford is kinda a dick about the character, and Han Solo. wasn't there some interview where he snapped and didn't want to discuss those two at all, when they're the roles that made him loving famous?

Isn't the thing that he loves Indiana Jones and hates Han Solo?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wouldn't trust anybody who is happy at a press junket

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ford has made it clear that he doesn’t hate Star Wars or Indiana Jones but it’s all people ask about when they should be asking about his best film, What Lies Beneath

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
He was pretty much the main character in Apocalypse Now and nobody ever brings that up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I wouldn't trust anybody who is happy at a press junket

So my mom and dad won a radio contest in the 90s and got to see the premiere of What Lies Beneath and they also got to meet Harrison Ford, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Robert Zemeckis. My parents said they were all very nice, especially Michelle. Harrison Ford was high as balls.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Armacham posted:

So my mom and dad won a radio contest in the 90s and got to see the premiere of What Lies Beneath and they also got to meet Harrison Ford, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Robert Zemeckis. My parents said they were all very nice, especially Michelle. Harrison Ford was high as balls.

Who has the pic of Harrison high as poo poo leaning on a 2x4?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

He was pretty much the main character in Apocalypse Now and nobody ever brings that up.

He has a pretty notable role in The Conversation, which was three years before Star Wars, nominated for Best Picture (it was Coppola's other movie from 1974) and generally fuckin' shreds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Voller!! OMG, Voller!!!

"Voller! We got Voller here! See? No one cares."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_zJGvh4bA

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Arrath posted:

Who has the pic of Harrison high as poo poo leaning on a 2x4?

I remember the story being that he got a major sunburn and used the 2x4 as a walking stick because it hurt to stand up straight. He might also have been high as poo poo idk

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Winklebottom posted:

...he got a major sunburn and used the 2x4 as a walking stick because it hurt to stand up straight. He might also have been high as poo poo idk

I mean who among us hasn't been in a similar way.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Winklebottom posted:

I remember the story being that he got a major sunburn and used the 2x4 as a walking stick because it hurt to stand up straight. He might also have been high as poo poo idk

The way I remember it was that Ford was talking to a goon's dad(?) and wanted to demonstrate the fictional character he was talking about. Like any goon tale, it should be taken with an enormous amount of suspicion.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/reel/790711912660849?mibextid=t8UTfm&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

This might be the happiest I have ever seen him in an interview.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Storks: How did the storks get paid when they ere delivering babies? Or was it like the minions from the movie Minions, and the birds are just naturally compelled to deliver things?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don’t new parents replace the baby with fish?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t new parents replace the baby with fish?

Now I'm in imagining an irate stork returning a few years later brandishing a bully club in it's wing,

"You still owe me three halibut, Diane. You said the fish was in the mail. Are we going to do this the easy way or the hard way?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured a stork would send a pelican. With a billy club.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone who's seen Animaniacs know that pigeons run the bird enforcement rackets.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

I hate how T-800 closes his eyes when he shoots his gun.

I love how the T-1000 doesn't:
https://youtu.be/bhL8WlDHKaY&t=3m05s

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

A really bizarre thing about the new Indiana Jones movie is how there's this reveal like 3/4 of the way through the movie that Mads Mikklesen's character had been hiding his true identity all along where his name wasn't Schmidt, it was Voller! This information means absolutely nothing to any character or the audience.

He was a Nazi rocket scientist that the US scooped up after WWII as part of Operation Paperclip. Schmidt was the fake name the US government gave him. This wasn’t meant as a surprise, we (the audience) already knew his identity from the opening sequence. This was him defying his CIA handler, going mask off and saying “gently caress NASA and the USA, I’m a Nazi”.

Boogaloo Shrimp has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

He was a Nazi rocket scientist that the US scooped up after WWII as part of Operation Paperclip. Schmidt was the fake name the US government gave him. This wasn’t meant as a surprise, we (the audience) already knew his identity from the opening sequence. This was him defying his CIA handler, going mask off and saying “gently caress NASA and the USA, I’m a Nazi”.

the best Nazi mask removal is still the opening of The Hunters. that is some tight loving six or seven minutes of insanity.