Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Laundry detergent measuring caps are now intentionally confusing and unexplained. I know they were already lying about how much to use and were telling you to use more of the product than necessary, but now they're completely arbitrary.

I swear I never noticed this until about a month ago, and I've been doing my own laundry for over 20 years, but the box of dryer sheets actually suggests using up to THREE if you are drying a lot of clothes. Legit one of the biggest crocks of poo poo I've ever seen, anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Don't tell anyone but I found that if you rip a sheet in half it's usually still enough, if dryer sheets are your kinda thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i still eat the whole sheet, half isn't enough

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bad Purchase posted:

i still eat the whole sheet, half isn't enough

You gotta smoke it in a light bulb for maximum efficiency.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

PlutoTV has gotten much shittier over the past year or so. When I first started using it ~3 years ago each channel usually played a variety of things. I liked the kids channels because they played a good variety of old cartoons that I could put on as background noise and ignore. Same went for all of the other channels, usually a decent rotation of content. I noticed a while ago that most of the channels were doing 6 or so hour blocks of one show instead of a variety, and I thought that maybe they had lost the rights to a lot of their content library…but I was checking the on demand section and they still have pretty much everything.

This is especially annoying because most of the channels seem to be on a playlist that loops and lasts for around 2-3 weeks or so and get changed out every few months. Since it’s not like someone is picking out the shows every day, why do this? Why not use everything they have? I guess I can’t be too picky over free but I liked seeing the weird offbeat stuff.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

a strange fowl posted:

posting on this site was much more fun before i realised there were all these hidden people reading and discussing and judging everything among themselves in secret channels, but then again i used to post like a dipshit so i only have myself to blame

if I've learned one thing from being a very online person, it's that you can obviously tell that so many internet/nerdy/gamer/online/goony/reddit people carry a secret wish deep inside that they have always wanted nothing more than to be the catty stuck up bitchy popular mean girls holding dominion over their high school's cool kid table.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

costco 6packs of bone-in chicken thighs: last year you'd get a max of 4 thighs per individual pack in the 6pack. Now you get up to 6 smaller thighs which is a higher ratio of bone to meat. Silver lining is the chickens were culled earlier and didn't have as long of a poo poo existence

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

ProperCoochie posted:

if I've learned one thing from being a very online person, it's that you can obviously tell that so many internet/nerdy/gamer/online/goony/reddit people carry a secret wish deep inside that they have always wanted nothing more than to be the catty stuck up bitchy popular mean girls holding dominion over their high school's cool kid table.

I mean we used to do it and still kinda do; we are all catty stuck up bitches toward Reddit & other sites & have loads of threads punching at them.

Previously Fark, Digg, eBaumsworld, the body building forums, etc

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hammu-rob-i posted:

costco 6packs of bone-in chicken thighs: last year you'd get a max of 4 thighs per individual pack in the 6pack. Now you get up to 6 smaller thighs which is a higher ratio of bone to meat. Silver lining is the chickens were culled earlier and didn't have as long of a poo poo existence

Pretty bad example you even hinted at a likely reason in your post.

Did you forget about the reason that eggs were so expensive until recently?

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Wendigee posted:

Pretty bad example you even hinted at a likely reason in your post.

Did you forget about the reason that eggs were so expensive until recently?

I'll be better

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

bus hustler posted:

I mean we used to do it and still kinda do; we are all catty stuck up bitches toward Reddit & other sites & have loads of threads punching at them.

yet we remain whereas they have perished

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bus hustler posted:

forgot nudeweb

line em up :911:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

line em up

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
You can’t order sushi anywhere without getting a load of spicy mayonnaise dumped all over it. Sometimes I forget to explicitly specify that I don’t want it and oops! Now I’ve got a couple rolls of something inedible. poo poo’s so nasty. It’s the ranch dressing of Japanese cuisine.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Man YouTube succumbed so quickly. Barely a year ago you used to be able to search a term and get search results related to the term you searched. Completely impossible now, it's like someone set the "how much related/sponsored content" percentage to 90 in the last few months. There is no real way to search YouTube by word anymore, period

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the way it just ends results and shows you a new section of "related searches" now after 6 already filtered results is absolutely insane to me. is there really no replacement search engine for google yet? is web hosting too expensive to do it with just normal advertising?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

seriously, tonight i searched youtube for "tonetta pressure zone" and among the first page of results was loving diablo 4 build videos

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Searching google for a local landmark in Kyrgyzstan using Kyrgyz seqrch terms, and after a few results that are relevant and in Kyrgyz, google gives up and just gives random results local to me in English

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004
Using the video length filter to remove all the dumb rear end shorts helps. But yeah, seems like anything boosted gets pushed regardless of search matching.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
removing "more results" entirely feels so insulting, it's incredible to me that apparently the MBAs that directed that decision didnt ever have to use that button :wtc:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
someone had to make the decision to make youtube only give you 6 videos semi-related to your search and no ability to dig further. that guy is worse than hitler

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004
How much dose youtube save by burying old videos on a slower server/drives? On top of forcing/encouraging channels to pay for a boost to even get listed now. Seems like an accounting decision.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they should call it notyourtube.com at this point

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
YouTube is a series of tubes

That all siphon poo poo straight out of a sewer into a larger sewer and than back into the original sewer

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Zelthar posted:

How much dose youtube save by burying old videos on a slower server/drives? On top of forcing/encouraging channels to pay for a boost to even get listed now. Seems like an accounting decision.

YouTube doesn't have a viable business model and never will. Longform HD video hosting is about the most expensive internet thing there is, eventually it will have to restrict itself to uploaders who can pay big money or go away.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

yet we remain whereas they have perished

Fark and bb.com are still going.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't tell if this thread exists because things are actually shittier or we're all getting old and nostalgia blind.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

YouTube doesn't have a viable business model and never will. Longform HD video hosting is about the most expensive internet thing there is, eventually it will have to restrict itself to uploaders who can pay big money or go away.

I mean just doing a quick check and with the numbers I could find it seems that youtube is currently profitable. The operating costs are high, but it does still get quite a bit of revenue from it leading to a small profit. Not as much as a company like google would want, but profit none the less.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
UK trains, god drat. I'm going to London this week and am staying overnight.

Old way: go to station, buy return ticket for specified dates, get on the next train to arrive.
New way: buy tickets in advance through (deliberately?) confusing website, end up with four single tickets for a two-way journey for some bizarre reason even though it's the same train, must go on that exact train and not an earlier or later one, get email saying one of the trains won't be running so I need to change my ticket, get contradictory information about whether I can or can't swap trains/get a refund. Also it costs almost as much to go one way as it used to for a return even with the cheapest possible deal. :argh:

Meanwhile, when I lived in Italy a few years ago, it went: go to station, buy return ticket, get on the next train. And it cost about a quarter of what it does in the UK to go the same distance.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

dr_rat posted:

I mean just doing a quick check and with the numbers I could find it seems that youtube is currently profitable. The operating costs are high, but it does still get quite a bit of revenue from it leading to a small profit. Not as much as a company like google would want, but profit none the less.

its another way to force people into creating a google account, which they force you to log into chrome with (its very aggressive with this) and then make a ton of money on that side as well. the fact that it makes any profit at all is a huge win for google, it would be (and was) worth it for them as a loss leader.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

dr_rat posted:

Making it easy to upload and share videos through a single megacorporate website keeps a lot of potentially problematic technologies from filling those needs. For example: P2P video streaming in the browser has gotten really good, if Youtube didn't exist for free while offering a slew of other advantages it could start at cheap vlogging and end in mainstream video piracy. Also bandwidth and storage gets cheaper and cheaper. It's slightly profitable now but will only get cheaper and cheaper in the future, it makes sense for Google to spend money keeping vloggers on lock.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been told they don't make 2x4's like they used to.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

redshirt posted:

They really don't, but then again, I don't know if we want them to? Lumber made from old-growth forests is definitely denser/stronger, but it's probably overall for the best that modern lumber is from managed forests grown specifically to just be cut down a couple decades later.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

No poo poo take a walk through your local big-box hardware store and look at the hosed-up chunks of wood they call "lumber". It's hilarious how badly warped the wood is and how impossible it makes it to fix dumb poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Payndz posted:

UK trains, god drat. I'm going to London this week and am staying overnight.

Old way: go to station, buy return ticket for specified dates, get on the next train to arrive.
New way: buy tickets in advance through (deliberately?) confusing website, end up with four single tickets for a two-way journey for some bizarre reason even though it's the same train, must go on that exact train and not an earlier or later one, get email saying one of the trains won't be running so I need to change my ticket, get contradictory information about whether I can or can't swap trains/get a refund. Also it costs almost as much to go one way as it used to for a return even with the cheapest possible deal. :argh:

Meanwhile, when I lived in Italy a few years ago, it went: go to station, buy return ticket, get on the next train. And it cost about a quarter of what it does in the UK to go the same distance.

Ah 40 years of Tories and new labor, what can't you destroy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ikanreed posted:

Ah 40 years of Tories and new labor, what can't you destroy.

superhero guy sweating over two buttons dot gif

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
my work uses google drive for everything. When you were in a file or subfile it used to display the name of the file/subfile at the top of the page so you knew where you were, a few months ago as part of a revamp this is no longer displayed and you gotta click through a few times to get this up.

It's a tiny thing but when I want to know how my firm's numbered a client's file to reference it in the document it's a hassle where it wasn't before.

Also windows for some reason changed the function to rename a file from being a labelled, named button to some random shape that comes up when you right click on a file. Again, no purpose for this, no measurable benefit

Finally, loving google docs when you're writing in a document and type someone's name it offers to autofinish the name if you hit tab but then loving tags the person in the document. Ideal for when you're writing a privileged document, just share it with as many people as possible

In short, everything deliberately loving sucks and is getting worse with each passing day, apparently out of spite.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 3, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

olylifter posted:

Also window for some reason changed the function to rename a file from being a labelled, named button to some random shape that comes up when you right click on a file. Again, no purpose for this, o measurable benefit

I don’t know when the change happened because I don’t typically use Windows but it drives me absolutely insane that when you bring up the save window you can no longer type in a new folder name and have the system ask if you want to create the directory. You now have to click create a folder.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

is there really no replacement search engine for google yet?

I have to pimp Kagi every time I can, so... Kagi. You pay for the service of search, but it actually has features and I'm way happier with Kagi then I have been with Google for a very long time. If you have some disposable income, you could do a lot worse with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Windows 11 is a downgrade from its big brother. Want to open a picture? Cool, here it is, and here’s a row of thumbnails of the other pictures in the directory, that covers up the bottom part of the image. Okay you can close it I guess. Here it is again the next time you open a picture, keep hiding it every time like a chump. Want to turn it off entirely? gently caress you, ingrate.

Okay fine, you want the old version of Photos? Here’s a “Legacy” version you can use. Lol j/k that does it too.

Go ahead and open a folder of videos, if you don’t mind I’m gonna need 10 seconds to show their thumbnails, no you can’t open any of them in the meantime. Yes, it will happen every time you open the folder, lol caching wtf is that?

Meanwhile, search still works like poo poo. Want search options? Okay well start a search first, THEN we’ll let you change how you want to filter them. Here are the search results in an ugly format. Oh you want the detail view so you can sort them? Go ahead and click to do that, lol pardon me while I run the same search all over again, hope that’s cool.

How is any of this acceptable? 🤦🏻‍♂️ And why is there no native way to tag photos? How hard can that be? I could probably whip up a program that does it, seems easy enough, but drat it why should I have to. I can’t find a single decent free version of any photo viewing software that will do it either.