Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

And yes, it is!

The rule is basically always build your roads at the best capacity you can foresee wanting them at, because god loving help you if you have to close a road to upgrade it to asphalt. But that's also how they get you, cos gravel is really easy to lay, just ship gravel out and bulldoze it flat, bish bosh simple as. But do not be seduced by the siren song, asphalt and electrify the hell out of everything.

There is an entire phase of gameplay in W&R which is just planning out infrastructure before you actually build anything near it because trying to retrofit pipes, electrics, roads, rail etc, is such a loving nightmare when you have to source, transport and install every ounce of building material and supply the labour time to do it.

Do not get me loving STARTED on trying to electrify an in-use rail network.

This actually sounds really loving cool, let’s take a look at the spec requirements and see if I can…

…god drat it why did I ever think buying a MacBook was a good idea :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If it's M1/M2 you might be very shocked at what it's capable of, especially with them working on stuff like this.

Sorry not sorry

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s also from 2015 so quite frankly I’m shocked it can run anything at this point lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some more explanation on Traffic AI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j557Tg_qkZU

Although not that much more on the AI than we already know. They do say that traffic lights lower the chance of accident though.

You can import/export things like electricity! Time to make all my rubbish somebody else's problem!

And you can create external transport lines to other specific cities via connection or air. And things like set up a bus connection to another city for more back-and-forth with them. So there's specific cities beyond you, not just 'the nation'.

Some of the info displays imply some neat stuff too

Tram line things:

Per-road info display with over-time graphs

Police cars will often be out on general patrol, not just dispatched when there's an incident. And service buildings like police can be assigned to specific districts or sets of districts, they're not just radius-based (they mention this one was a common request from users). Note the descriptions listing the possible upgrades.

district panel with, presumably, ordinance toggles on top

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 29, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm curious about these buildings:

Those look a lot like row houses with varying setbacks to match a curved road? Rather than the plots being always perpendicular to the road?

E: although, that could also be a terrain height change and it just looks curved cos of the camera angle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 29, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's height.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I am assuming the paw print is pets? Did CS1 track pets/animals? I wonder if we will have options to provide/grow veterinary services. All those screenshots are getting me super hyped up seems like the SIM is going to be a lot more in-depth than the previous game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeJF posted:

Some more explanation on Traffic AI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j557Tg_qkZU
This does kinda make me wonder how we're gonna get anyone on mass transit. It sounds like everyone owns a car and wants to use it, and mass transit is always going to lose to direct driving on time by its very nature.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Lord of screenshot

That’s an insane amount of detail :eyepop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

This does kinda make me wonder how we're gonna get anyone on mass transit. It sounds like everyone owns a car and wants to use it, and mass transit is always going to lose to direct driving on time by its very nature.

I would assume that you would do it with good ticket prices, low parking/car accessibility due to deliberate planning measures, and building things right near transit stops, just as we have done historically.

I never found it hard to block almost all car traffic with those in CS1 so I can't imagine it's much harder in CS2.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 29, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CapnAndy posted:

My first city is going to try to be as car free as possible. I'm going to provide literally zero parking. If the game shits itself doing that, I'll only use lots and always charge the maximum amount. There will be no high cost of free parking in my realm. :colbert:

As much as I hope things like mode share are open for modders, if it works and you can actually get people to use transit by doing things real cities do to get people to use transit, that will be neat. Like the reason Tokyo has extremely high transit use isn't because Japanese people inherently don't like cars, it's because the transit is excellent, the city is dense and walkable just about everywhere, and there is no street parking anywhere, you gotta pay $$$$$$ for lots. There are a decent number of parking lots around (most of them are pretty small so they're not obvious like aerial shots of American cities) but nowhere near enough for everyone. The main thing missing is you can't buy a car there unless you own a parking space at your house or are long-term leasing one in a lot, so most people simply don't even have a car to begin with.

One thing I wish they'd change is that motorcycles are just reskinned cars. You should be able to park a lot more motorcycles/scooters in a smaller space. Encourage Vietnam-level scooter use by only providing bike parking. I have a suspicion that is going to be changed with the inevitable bike infrastructure DLC.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With the "driving like an idiot" capability you could also potentially make bikes/motorbikes more prone to taking shortcuts :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, they're probably not just reskinned cars - given the parameters they've discussed I except motorbikes are probably cheaper to operate, can't carry passengers, and have a lower comfort rating.

But yeah they'll probably do better with them come the Bike DLC.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Motorcycles will crash en masse during Summertime when citizens blow their lawn clippings out on the road

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope our own cims will go on off-map trips. Before the only people coming or going from your city were outside tourists, but your own cims never took business or tourism trips off the map.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to be able to set up intersections with hook turns to deal with tram lines and cims from other cities get confused and cause accidents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just put cowcatchers on the trams and if the cars can't figure it out they get the shove.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Just put cowcatchers on the trams and if the cars can't figure it out they get the shove.

That's basically how they do it in Melbourne but without the cowcatcher. Tram drivers a) are public transport drivers who don't give a gently caress b) know they have the right of way c) know the tram is built like a brick shithouse compared to a car and d) know they won't have to pay the repair bill. Never play chicken with a tram.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That's basically how they do it in Melbourne but without the cowcatcher. Tram drivers a) are public transport drivers who don't give a gently caress b) know they have the right of way c) know the tram is built like a brick shithouse compared to a car and d) know they won't have to pay the repair bill. Never play chicken with a tram.

:yeshaha:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CapnAndy posted:

They consider more than just speed. It costs money to drive since cars have gas, it costs money to park and parking may not be readily available at their destination so the amount of walking is weighed in as well. There's also whatever "comfort" is.

Baronjutter posted:

I hope our own cims will go on off-map trips. Before the only people coming or going from your city were outside tourists, but your own cims never took business or tourism trips off the map.

https://twitter.com/ColossalOrder/status/1674087557863206914

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking through their Twitter, they mention that tunnels have interiors, which makes me think we're going to get some form of street level cam.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The "comfort" metric for a trip sounds to me like the ease/simplicity. If you can ride your own car from your doorstep to destination, that's "comfort", even if the trip takes longer or has ridiculous cost.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

The "comfort" metric for a trip sounds to me like the ease/simplicity. If you can ride your own car from your doorstep to destination, that's "comfort", even if the trip takes longer or has ridiculous cost.

It was mentioned as something that increases the likelihood that people use public transportation, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks like comfort includes how far they have to walk from or between parking/transit stops to their destination building, how much they have to change lines if they're using public transport, how many times they have to switch roads or navigate intersections if driving, and stuff like bad traffic jam areas.

If there's an easy public transport ride from near their house to near their destination, that'll be more comfortable than navigating a nasty route or fighting traffic or parking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it takes into account the facilities, like changing lines at a big central station that's all interior and serves many transit types is preferred to waiting at a bus stop.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I assume/hope that most commercial buildings will provide their own parking. Most places have parking lots, you know!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

I assume/hope that most commercial buildings will provide their own parking. Most places have parking lots, you know!

I hope you can get underground parking

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's true, there are buildings with parking built in. Need BOB to come along quickly so we can delete those. No one will park in my city! Get on a loving train or begone!

VostokProgram posted:

Somewhere they mentioned there are underground garages along with above ground ones and surface lots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

That's true, there are buildings with parking built in. Need BOB to come along quickly so we can delete those. No one will park in my city! Get on a loving train or begone!

They've mentioned you can make pedestrian-only roads that only service vehicles can drive on. Here's a nice one with a tram line.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2023

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I am going to just...wait to continue my sci-fi car-free city tbh.

Everything I want to do and struggle with in CS1 sounds like it might be possible in CS2, plus I'll be able to have a basic city to renovate and make REALLY sci-fi as time goes on with custom assets.

Having an "old town" is always fun

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VostokProgram posted:

Check out the yellow car here at the bottom. Some buildings appear to have underground parking built in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j557Tg_qkZU&t=175s

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm going to make a city with no public transportation whatsoever and deliberately make foot traffic essentially impossible. My cims will all enjoy the privacy, comfort, and convenience of personal vehicles.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

New feature highlight just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwIfNxWzihU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Any dlc for 1 worth grabbing in the sale?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Any dlc for 1 worth grabbing in the sale?

2's right around the corner, seems prudent to just wait at this point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So the first lovely thing about CS2 is that they're simulating morning and evening rush hours but you can only adjust public transportation in day/night intervals. Having more buses run on a line between 4 and 7 PM is just not an option.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

turn off the TV posted:

So the first lovely thing about CS2 is that they're simulating morning and evening rush hours but you can only adjust public transportation in day/night intervals. Having more buses run on a line between 4 and 7 PM is just not an option.

Smells like a day 1 mod

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
this looks like they kept the completely idiotic way of placing subway stations from the first game

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So for some reason they're calling metro 'subway' even though it'll happily run at ground or elevated level.

I wonder if that's a Finnish<->English thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if that's a Finnish<->English thing.

No. The only Finnish 'subway' is named Metro in Finnish.