Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

I'm looking for a program that will allow me to lock input on a machine so it cannot be hosed with, while still showing the display. I want to also password protect this functionality. Not finding much on google. Any suggestions?

There's plenty of utilities for blocking input

Password protection is useless because ctrl+alt+del -> task manager -> end program can't be blocked by a standard app. The windows APIs that let you mess with input get pre-empted whenever task manager is focused. So it's not possible to secure in any meaningful way. To make that work you'd have to do something weird like make a new keyboard driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GigaFuzz posted:

Are you using a VPN by any chance? Only some providers do port forwarding and your router's settings won't matter.

If not, can you post a screenshot showing the details of the rule you made on the router? What you posted sounds like it's correct but there might be something not quite right.

I have PrivadoVPN, but it's not connected.

Here is the rule on the Netcomm:

The WAN interface there was chosen from a list of 3 options. That's the only one that showed any upload/download stats so must be the correct one, surely.

(Yes, I know that's not port 54000 - I just posted a general number with my opening info. Rest assured all port number references match in what I've done.)

Gromit fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 13, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't most routers have those higher numbered/ephemeral ports open regardless? Or have you explicitly blacklisted anything not named? Are you able to temporarily disable the firewall and see if the port works at all? I've sometimes had a port just "not work" for reasons beyond my then-understanding with torrent software. I just randomised it and restarted my client until I found one that did.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've tried 2 or 3 different port numbers, but I've not tried turning off my Windows firewall. I'll give that a go tomorrow in the morning.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Gromit posted:

I have PrivadoVPN, but it's not connected.

Here is the rule on the Netcomm:

The WAN interface there was chosen from a list of 3 options. That's the only one that showed any upload/download stats so must be the correct one, surely.

(Yes, I know that's not port 54000 - I just posted a general number with my opening info. Rest assured all port number references match in what I've done.)

Hmm, seems okay. Just to check off some other things:
  • What's your ISP, or do you know if they use CG-NAT (Carrier Grade NAT, where you don't get your own IP address, and share one with others)? If they do, you won't be able to do this, or perhaps have to pay for a dedicated IP. (Edit: or use a VPN which can do port forwarding - e.g. ProtonVPN, I don't know about Privado)
    You can check by comparing your router's WAN address (which should be on Summary > Internet), and the IP address you get from e.g. https://whatismyipaddress.com/. If they are different, or your IP address starts between 100.64. 0.0 and 100.127., you're on CG-NAT :(

• eth4.1 should be correct as long as you're plugged into the blue WAN port, not DSL. Is that right?
  • Is the rule enabled - i.e. in the Action column just out of frame?
  • Are you running the port test while you have qBitorrent open?
  • Have you tried temporarily turning off the Windows firewall just to make sure that's not getting in the way?

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 13, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thanks for helping out with suggestions here.

GigaFuzz posted:

Hmm, seems okay. Just to check off some other things:
  • What's your ISP, or do you know if they use CG-NAT (Carrier Grade NAT, where you don't get your own IP address, and share one with others)? If they do, you won't be able to do this, or perhaps have to pay for a dedicated IP. (Edit: or use a VPN which can do port forwarding - e.g. ProtonVPN, I don't know about Privado)
    You can check by comparing your router's WAN address (which should be on Summary > Internet), and the IP address you get from e.g. https://whatismyipaddress.com/. If they are different, or your IP address starts between 100.64. 0.0 and 100.127., you're on CG-NAT :(

• eth4.1 should be correct as long as you're plugged into the blue WAN port, not DSL. Is that right?
  • Is the rule enabled - i.e. in the Action column just out of frame?
  • Are you running the port test while you have qBitorrent open?
  • Have you tried temporarily turning off the Windows firewall just to make sure that's not getting in the way?

Checked my IP address. Router says 100.105.xxx.xxx and WhatsMyIP says 220.233.xxx.xxx, so it looks like I'm dead in the water? Sounds like I should contact my ISP (Superloop in Australia) and see if it's something I can get changed.

For the rest of your questions, the rule is enabled and I just tried turning off my firewall but no improvement. But if my ISP is the issue then the rest of that stuff is probably fine. At the end of the day I'm glad it isn't just my own incompetence!

Am I best off asking them about it because I want to host online games with friends every now and again (which is very true), rather than my opening gambit being "torrents don't work!"?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Most of the results I got from "Austrailia superloop torrent" (Austrailia added as I'm not there) seemed to suggest your ISP is blocking the protocol.

Was this a problem on your previous OS, or is this literally a case of upgrading a machine and losing access?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/34k661wz?p=3

"You can Opt out of CGNAT in your members area"

"All I had to do was get on the live chat and ask them to opt out, they asked why and I told them why (Plex remote access) and they asked me to reboot the router and it was all done."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I switched to a new ISP, but I haven't done any torrenting or run any game servers for a while, and it also coincided with going to Windows 11 and also having a new router. So a lot of variables there.
I'll reach out to my ISP and see if they will fix it. Otherwise I'll check to see if other providers offer a better service.
Thanks everyone.

e: Chatted with my ISP and it seems fixed! Thanks again, all.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 14, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've been using AltDrag for some time to manipulate windows, and didn't know it was taken up by another author to create an updated version called AltSnap.

quote:

It allows you to move and resize windows by using the Alt key and clicking wherever on the window instead of relying on very precise clicking. This behavior is very common on Linux distributions and is not actually hard to implement on Windows.
Main differences: To simplify the code greatly the Hooks windows feature was removed, it allowed you have windows snapping while dragging them normally. It required however to inject a dll in every application and induced thus an obvious security risk. The amount of mess added to the code just for this feature was substantial and in addition forced to have both a 32bits and a 64bits version of the program running at the same time.

Never wait for MS to catch up on shell innovations.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 18, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Power Toys FancyZones does this, too, if I understood you correctly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Going through some old stuff and I've found some RealMedia videos I'd like to convert to MP4 or something. Can anyone recommend a converter for windows that can handle large files? I tried some free downloads and they all have paywalled limitations, and Handbrake can't read the file.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gromit posted:

Going through some old stuff and I've found some RealMedia videos I'd like to convert to MP4 or something. Can anyone recommend a converter for windows that can handle large files? I tried some free downloads and they all have paywalled limitations, and Handbrake can't read the file.

VLC has a converter and can read real video

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thanks, I didn't know VLC could do that.
It really hated the large file but I found a version of that one already in a different format. Testing VLC on other a few other RM files and I only get audio in the resulting MP4s.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Try giving XMedia Recode a try. I have never been able to throw a format at it, that didn't work:
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cheers Fart - just tested it and it worked perfectly. Thanks mate!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Windows 10. A while ago, I was using VeraCrypt with a USB drive and didn't want Windows to always pop up with the "Format disk?" dialogue. I did something so that it wouldn't come up with that dialogue, and the USB wouldn't show up in my list of drives. It still showed up (and shows up) in the devices and printers list though, and I could use it with VeraCrypt.

But now that I want to use that USB drive unencrypted as normal. Except it doesn't show up in the drive list and I have no way to open it, format it, or do anything with it. So what do you do that causes a certain USB thumb drive not to show up in the drive list in This PC, and how do you reverse it?

I should mention that this is only a specific thumb drive. Other ones I have still trigger the Format disk dialogue and can be opened if they're formatted.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Check disk management.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

c0burn posted:

Check disk management.

It looks like I just removed its letter assignment there, so I assigned one and it works now. Thanks!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Is there a Windows equivalent for AppleScript? Something which lets me glue together several bespoke applications with an interface that’s not genuinely demonic? I know about PowerShell, but that’s not really what I’m looking for

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://powerautomate.microsoft.com/en-gb/robotic-process-automation/ ?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Is there a Windows equivalent for AppleScript? Something which lets me glue together several bespoke applications with an interface that’s not genuinely demonic? I know about PowerShell, but that’s not really what I’m looking for

Autohotkey can go just about anything.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone know of a reputable seller of Windows 11 installation USBs? I find myself in an odd situation: the only Windows device I have is my work laptop which has mandatory Bitlocker for USB devices. So I can't self-create installation media that will work on a second laptop which currently can't boot (recently wiped - needs to have Windows re-installed).

I'd prefer paying $139 to Microsoft for another Windows 11 license on a USB they provide, but if that's the best option I'll do it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know of a reputable seller of Windows 11 installation USBs? I find myself in an odd situation: the only Windows device I have is my work laptop which has mandatory Bitlocker for USB devices. So I can't self-create installation media that will work on a second laptop which currently can't boot (recently wiped - needs to have Windows re-installed).

I'd prefer paying $139 to Microsoft for another Windows 11 license on a USB they provide, but if that's the best option I'll do it.

You don't have a friend that can create the USB drive for you?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Medullah posted:

You don't have a friend that can create the USB drive for you?

goons have friends? Yeah, that's also an option. I just don't like bothering people if I don't have to, and I'm okay spending a couple bucks. As I type this, though, "couple bucks" and "root access to stranger who isn't the OS provider" maybe isn't a great combination.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ynglaur posted:

goons have friends? Yeah, that's also an option. I just don't like bothering people if I don't have to, and I'm okay spending a couple bucks. As I type this, though, "couple bucks" and "root access to stranger who isn't the OS provider" maybe isn't a great combination.

Just creating the USB media creation kit doesn't expose you to anything truly dangerous, just have a friend do it.

Hell, even if your work laptop puts bitlocker on the drive as long as you have the password you should still be able to boot to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could take a USB stick off a Goon, install Windows using it and then use that Windows installation to create a new installation USB key.

What devices do you have access to? You can use Rufus to write out a Windows 11 ISO to a USB key.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm just wondering if bitlocker would interfere with burning an iso to a usb dvd drive. Or maybe that would just be blocked altogether. Idk, just an interesting question I thought.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Purely a guess but if policies prevent writing out data to a USB stick without it being encrypted I assume writing out to optical media is just disabled

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I have access to:
  • A laptop running Windows 11 Enterprise. This is my work machine, and has Bitlocker mandatory for writing to USB devices. (I assume optical, too.)
  • A former work laptop which is now mine (hurray favorable corporate policies!), but which is wiped.

If I try to use the Windows Media Creation tool on my USB stick (which is now Bitlockered), it fails part-way through. I'm guessing that's because it wants to be on an unencrypted USB. I'm not even sure a laptop can boot from an encrypted USB installation media.

Getting a friend to make me one with their not-Bitlocker-mandatory personal machine is probably my best bet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure someone ITT would be happy for you to buy a USB stick off Amazon and send it to them, and then post it over to you. I'd do it but there's no point sending a flash drive internationally.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Getting a friend/family member to do it is the easiest way, but if not are there still places that will mail linux on a DVD for pretty much the cost of postage? You could do that to boot into a linux environment and use that to create the Windows USB.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

oh no computer posted:

Getting a friend/family member to do it is the easiest way, but if not are there still places that will mail linux on a DVD for pretty much the cost of postage? You could do that to boot into a linux environment and use that to create the Windows USB.

That's a great idea. Thank you!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I doubt this would work for one reason or another, I have never done this. I'm just trying to think of a solution for fun.

But, if the wiped laptop can boot from over the network turn windows into a PXE server (I think?) and install Linux that way and then use it to make the install media?

Edit: or, like, do you have a local library?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I doubt this would work for one reason or another, I have never done this. I'm just trying to think of a solution for fun.

But, if the wiped laptop can boot from over the network turn windows into a PXE server (I think?) and install Linux that way and then use it to make the install media?

Edit: or, like, do you have a local library?

That way lies madness....:cthulhu:

Then again, I do have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu. It's headless, so I wonder if I can struggle through figuring out how to use the command line to get the Windows installation media written to a USB drive attached to the Pi...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

That way lies madness....:cthulhu:

Then again, I do have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu. It's headless, so I wonder if I can struggle through figuring out how to use the command line to get the Windows installation media written to a USB drive attached to the Pi...

https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_start.html

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

I have access to:
  • A laptop running Windows 11 Enterprise. This is my work machine, and has Bitlocker mandatory for writing to USB devices. (I assume optical, too.)
  • A former work laptop which is now mine (hurray favorable corporate policies!), but which is wiped.

If I try to use the Windows Media Creation tool on my USB stick (which is now Bitlockered), it fails part-way through. I'm guessing that's because it wants to be on an unencrypted USB. I'm not even sure a laptop can boot from an encrypted USB installation media.

Getting a friend to make me one with their not-Bitlocker-mandatory personal machine is probably my best bet.

If you have admin access to your work machine, there's a registry key that disables the bitlocker on USB thing. It keeps getting re-enabled, so be aware of that. Be more aware that this is most likely a breach of company policy.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FVE]
"RDVDenyWriteAccess"=dword:00000000

Alternatively, if you have vmware workstation or similar installed, you can also just pass the USB device through to a VM, and write from there

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 3, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BrainDance posted:

I'm with you but the peak was right in the middle of beta 1 for XP.

Watercolor/Professional was infinitely better than Luna. Modern, a distinct style, yet still professional as the name implies. Ever since Luna it's just been downhill.

I'm the one nerd left in the world still mad about that.

Just look at it, it's so perfect

I used that theme always in XP before moving on to Vista.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

If you have admin access to your work machine, there's a registry key that disables the bitlocker on USB thing. It keeps getting re-enabled, so be aware of that. Be more aware that this is most likely a breach of company policy.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FVE]
"RDVDenyWriteAccess"=dword:00000000

Alternatively, if you have vmware workstation or similar installed, you can also just pass the USB device through to a VM, and write from there

Wait a VM can write to a USB device the host can't write to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

Wait a VM can write to a USB device the host can't write to?

in this instance, one of bitlocker policy forced on external devices; yes