Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Tone is for suckers, play acoustic imo

alternatively, record the raw input and then layer multiple takes into different models or amps and gently caress with it until you're happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tying yourself to one specific instrument is not the smartest idea. The cool part happens when you put together a nice palette of sounds.

Maybe I’ll make a jam track on my Volca Drum sometime.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Coming from touching synths, I can’t help but miss a lot of the weird poo poo I used to do with synths. Guitars don’t have nearly as much or as interesting modulation options. Chorus, flanger, phaser, and delay are all here, and you can get like 10 different flavors of distortion, but man what I wouldn’t give for a filter envelope, or a wavefolder, or gated plate reverb, or a mod matrix, or something off-the-wall like an FM operator.

Granted half the fun of synths is sequencing volt-per-octave, but still.

Get a USB interface and run your guitar through VCV rack. Some of the most gnarly distortion I've gotten from running the signal through a wave folder.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ughhhh poo poo that’s a really good idea. Once I have my office/music room set up, for sure.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Many of those are available as pedals, although some are expensive.

edit poo poo if you were using physical synths instead of softsynths you could just plug your guitar into the filter section of a synth and use the guitar as the oscillator.

I think Joyo has a cheapo pedal with a bunch of synth modules in it like a ring mod and stuff like that? It could have been Caline?

Edit: Joyo actually makes a nice one for 140 usd, but I couldn’t find the crappy one I was looking at a few months ago. Caline has a “Modulated Reverb” pedal that looks cool.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 28, 2023

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The problem is that guitar has a very distinctive attack/decay profile that’s hard to get away from. FX can only do so much. Most of the cool stuff synths can do comes from the ability to manipulate the sound generator itself.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ethanol posted:

mac or pc? apple silcon is undetectable latency for me. my roundtrip is something like 10ms in logic

I can't remember my roundtrip time right now but my latency on Windows is undetectable with a decent interface.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Here’s some cool guitar synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6I02UdoT6w

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Idk what half the settings in ASIO4ALL mean or do, but after 5 min of randomly toggling them around, I got rid of any noticeable latency running my guitar into Guitar Rig via a Rocksmith USB cable. With default settings, I had some weird clipping but decreasing the buffer sizes seemed to get rid of that? Idk it was all trial and error

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah running through a synth is nothing new - Pete Townsend was doing it 52 years ago, it still sounded mostly like a guitar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s all voltage, so in the end, does it really matter?

Also oh my god there’s so goddamn much to learn on guitar. Scales, barre chords, CAGED, fingerings, picking, strumming, fingerstyle, bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, palm muting, alternate picking, chord voicing, the tone knob, the tone switch, steel vs. nylon, that one string delta that’s four goddamn semitones instead of five. Not to mention why we do all that. It’s overwhelming.

I thought figuring out what note I should play next was hard! :gonk:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 28, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Everything is just sound. Some of the most beautiful ambient pads I've ever made are snippets of industrial equipment slowed and fed through guitar amps

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
on the topic of playing your guitar thru a synth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4l61JKSm4

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been thinkin’ about my lessons too.

I worry that my teacher is too high level for me. He speaks a lot about high-level music theory concepts that do interest me, but that I can’t speak meaningfully about yet - and certainly not at the speed he does. And I might be projecting and/or just being my usual anxious self here, but I think he gets frustrated at how slow I am to recognize the chords he’s playing, replicate his fingering, and think at a higher level as opposed to a lower one (i.e. bust out a V7 or whatever for any particular root instead of fumbling around for the open C chord).

He really knows his poo poo, and he’s a phenomenal resource for experienced guitarists and musical college students, so I don’t mean to downplay him or anything. I just wish this wasn’t the equivalent of discussing Camus with a toddler :(

dont worry about this, its a good problem to have! just try to absorb it as best you can, and someday you will remember something he said and be like "oh thats what he was talking about".

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

finally got this recording from music camp, of my song "In the Buds"!

https://voca.ro/1ndtDzhzZcN1

this is from "Band-in-a-box" where you get to play your song with a bunch of extremely good session musicians. this was done in 20 minutes, start to finish. recording quality isn't great, but the experience was truly one of the coolest things ever. i'm supposed to give credit to "Miles of Music" for it, so there it is!

for comparison, here's my solo recording: https://soundcloud.com/user-656458997/in-the-buds

drat, thats cool that a bunch of legit musicians learned your song and recorded it -- im jellly

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Plank Walker posted:

Idk what half the settings in ASIO4ALL mean or do, but after 5 min of randomly toggling them around, I got rid of any noticeable latency running my guitar into Guitar Rig via a Rocksmith USB cable. With default settings, I had some weird clipping but decreasing the buffer sizes seemed to get rid of that? Idk it was all trial and error

the idea is to make the buffer size as small as you can without hearing audio glitches. but if you ride the line, then do something to increase your CPU load (like loading up a new VST), the glitches may come back. so you might not have seen the last of the dreaded ASIO4ALL control panel!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I was using an m-audio interface and had terrible latency. I switched to a lexicon one and all my latency problems went away.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

chippy posted:

I can't remember my roundtrip time right now but my latency on Windows is undetectable with a decent interface.

in logic, you can turn down the buffer to reduce latency. not sure how that works on various windows DAWs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I was in school Mboxes were notorious for their terrible latency issues when using literally anything other than ProTools.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ethanol posted:

in logic, you can turn down the buffer to reduce latency. not sure how that works on various windows DAWs.

The same, you can adjust the buffer size in samples. I think mine's at 32 currently? I think how low you can set it is mainly determined by your CPU and how well optimized the drivers for your interface are. I know that when I got a new PC I was able to set it much lower, using the same interface (Scarlett 18i20).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
With radio shack closed, where can I physically go to in order to find discrete analog electronic components? I need a few things for an electronics project and don't want to order them online

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have a microcenter nearby they sometimes have that stuff.

I know off an old school electronics place near Baltimore that I used to go to all the time for things. If you're lucky you might still have one around you.

Otherwise if I'm ordering parts for projects I'll buy whatever amount it takes to get to the next volume purchase level discount from mouser and hoard it "just in case"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Spanish Manlove posted:

With radio shack closed, where can I physically go to in order to find discrete analog electronic components? I need a few things for an electronics project and don't want to order them online

You'll have to find a local hobby shop of some kind. There is one in my town, but it's still cheaper to order online for literally any amount because they mark up everything so much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's what I figured. I remember buying some discrete components a long time ago from a little shop in a very industrial area, but it's no longer open. Oh well, time to buy literally every kind of resistor just to get enough to make a janky voltage divider that likely won't work as I don't have a buffer

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I lost a back ferrule so I am using toothpick and duct tape. It's working OK.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I've been playing on and off for the past 7 or so years, but never took it seriously so I'm quite bad. I've decided to start playing more "seriously" (read regularly) and I usually follow through when I make such decisions.

I've been playing on a yamaha acoustic for all that time and I'm thinking of buying my first electric guitar in a month or two if I stick with a regular routine to help motivate me.

My current plan is to get a Pacifica. I could afford a 612, but I'm not sure if there's a point in doing so since I'm pretty much a beginner and I don't plan on ever playing in front of people. Is it worth it to spend 2x as much to get the 612 over the 112? Chances are this will be my only guitar forever (I know that I may laugh at that sentence in 5 years, but let's assume I actually manage to not purchase any other guitar)

As far as amp goes I was planning on getting a THR (not sure which version yet) since I only ever plan on playing by myself at low-ish volumes (and probably using headphones 50% of the time). If I ever want to become cool and play with people I figure I'd buy another amp for that when the situation arises.

I'll probably mainly be playing blues and jazz, but would like to have as much versatility as possible.

So pacifica 112 or 612? THR good option for solo playing at home?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 1, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've got a thr and it rips, sick practice amp

the 612 is going to have nicer sounding pickups and feeling hardware and will be a lot more instrument to grow into, but the 112 will more than likely be fine to learn on. up to you and your budget if that's worth 400 bucks to you.

i honestly think i'd get the 112 and figure out what you actually like in a guitar before investing in a nicer one.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
The pawn shop here has a Jackson Performer for two hundred dollars. I don't need any more guitars and I have an Ibanez rg that I barely play and am trying to sell, but this Jackson has the hockey stick headstock, a bitchin mirror blue paint job and otherwise seems like the pure undistilled essence of lovely 80s metal in the best possible way. I'm lucky enough to be at a point in my life where I can afford a stupid $200 impulse buy.

Do you all know anything about Jackson performers? is there a reason it would be stupid to buy this guitar besides all of the obvious ones regarding it being a dumb impulse purchase that I will never actually need

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
They are the cheaper end of the older made in japan import line. If it's not beat up or in rough shape, I'd grab it. They are usually pretty great guitars, but I've never had a performer. Just the DXMG and DKMGs along with the SLSMG Soloists made during the same time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Doesn’t the 612 have locking tuners? The whole thing is sort of decked out. It’s great for the price and I would spring for it if you could.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you want to split the price difference between the 112 and 612, consider one of the Squier Classic Vibe guitars, which are terrific instruments that should last you forever

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the 612s have FR style trems, which would probably be kind of a lot and overwhelming for a relative newby to deal with. I'd go with the 112 personally and see how that does ya.

I have a THR and love it, it's not perfect and it doesn't work that nicely with a pedalboard but I can get a bunch of good sounds out of it very easily and it hooks up to my computer for recording very easily.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I've just got my first Floyd rose and it's taken me about a week to figure it out and dial it in correctly. Also muting is kind of weird to get used to compared to my hard tails.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the 612s have FR style trems, which would probably be kind of a lot and overwhelming for a relative newby to deal with. I'd go with the 112 personally and see how that does ya.

I have a THR and love it, it's not perfect and it doesn't work that nicely with a pedalboard but I can get a bunch of good sounds out of it very easily and it hooks up to my computer for recording very easily.

It has a Wilkinson which I think is just like a strat trem, and Yamaha makes a fixed bridge one with a similar name. It has locking tuners, but not a locking nut or anything.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The THR has solid ASIO drivers too

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
sorry to barrel in here but - does anyone that plays sat down get pins and needles in their left foot?

in recent years i've switched from the dodgy self-taught 'modern fingerpicking' type style i've used since i was 15 to a dodgy self-taught classical style, so i've now got the neck jacked up with an ergoplay support. the ergoplay is great imo and works a lot better for me than resting one foot on a stand or whatever. finally starting to feel like i've got somewhere with the style, playing some pieces with tremolo etc, and have managed to deal with a few old man issues like left thumb pain by making slight technique adjustments. but now whatever i do i get slight pins and needles/numbness in my left foot the second i sit my rear end down to play, which magically vanishes if i switch to playing the keyboard and doesn't happen playing my electric stood up with a strap.

could just be psychological and it's not a huge issue, just slightly annoying. wondered if anyone else has had it before i wait in line for six months for a physio to tell me to go and see a guitar teacher or vice versa

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shogi posted:

sorry to barrel in here but - does anyone that plays sat down get pins and needles in their left foot?

in recent years i've switched from the dodgy self-taught 'modern fingerpicking' type style i've used since i was 15 to a dodgy self-taught classical style, so i've now got the neck jacked up with an ergoplay support. the ergoplay is great imo and works a lot better for me than resting one foot on a stand or whatever. finally starting to feel like i've got somewhere with the style, playing some pieces with tremolo etc, and have managed to deal with a few old man issues like left thumb pain by making slight technique adjustments. but now whatever i do i get slight pins and needles/numbness in my left foot the second i sit my rear end down to play, which magically vanishes if i switch to playing the keyboard and doesn't happen playing my electric stood up with a strap.

could just be psychological and it's not a huge issue, just slightly annoying. wondered if anyone else has had it before i wait in line for six months for a physio to tell me to go and see a guitar teacher or vice versa

I get pins in needles in my strumming arm after playing any guitar without the shoulder contour for more than like 15 min. It feels weird, but I just go with it or switch to a strat.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

TheMightyBoops posted:

I get pins in needles in my strumming arm after playing any guitar without the shoulder contour for more than like 15 min. It feels weird, but I just go with it or switch to a strat.

the joy of pinch points and unergonomic musical instruments. at least we don't play violin i spose

aye not a huge thing, much rather have a couple of toes feeling weird compared to my fretting hand thumb feeling like it's coming off at the join. it's prob time i invested in a chair that isn't a lovely £15 piano stool

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/clt/d/mission-west-miley-cyrus-signed/7632679519.html

quick gimme 300 canadian dollers

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

rules