Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Byzantine posted:

I mean that's basically the core Avengers

Steroids, booze... more booze... radiation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well poo poo, RIP Alan Arkin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
For a sec I thought I was dead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

For a sec I thought I was dead

Have you checked?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/30/alan-arkin-oscar-winning-actor-little-miss-sunshine-dies-aged-89

Edit: misread what not.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 30, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Well poo poo, RIP Alan Arkin.

Gonna watch the Jerky Boys movie in his honor

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dr_rat posted:

I'm sure they make some really bad joke about it at the start and basically ignore it after that.

kalel posted:

the most tasteless unfunny thing I can think of is a joke about skin color/race where the punchline is the protagonist saying "check your privilege, jeez" so it's probably that

It was "she's canadian"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like all of these Mattel properties have been in development hell for ages.

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1675613828946468866?s=20

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/AniMat505/status/1675621142495653888
Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken is crashing and burning at the box office with the worst opening ever for a Dreamworks animated movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hollywood should probably start making good movies again if they want to make money

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's not about good

if hollywood released a grimace movie right this moment it would make a billy

one more week and it makes a milly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grimace shake meme gonna be dead in a couple days

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If being timely with memes was enough to turn a profit Morbius would have been a huge hit.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

it's not about good

if hollywood released a grimace movie right this moment it would make a billy

one more week and it makes a milly

Yeah this worked really great for Snakes on a Plane and Morbius.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The automatic AI greenlighter not being able to tell the difference between ironic shitposting and genuine affection is going to produce some interesting results. Morbius was just the beginning.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mycot posted:

The automatic AI greenlighter not being able to tell the difference between ironic shitposting and genuine affection is going to produce some interesting results. Morbius was just the beginning.

I’m just hoping people on social media figure out how to game it so that studios lose as much money as possible greenlighting and producing poo poo no one wants.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the anti-pope zaslav

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There was nothing in the ads for Rudy Giuliani: teenage kraken that looked even remotely interesting. gently caress, the Flash at least looked like the fun kind of train wreck (I didn't see that one either).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
None of my daughters had even heard of it. I only know about it because people in this thread posted about it a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure where it advertised, but those places didn't hit my family at all.

EDIT: The bigger problem is my kids don't even go to the movies anymore. They stream poo poo on their phones or on the TV with their friends. I don't think they've asked me to take them to a theater since I went to see the D&D movie and my youngest wanted to go with me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

None of my daughters had even heard of it. I only know about it because people in this thread posted about it a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure where it advertised, but those places didn't hit my family at all.

EDIT: The bigger problem is my kids don't even go to the movies anymore. They stream poo poo on their phones or on the TV with their friends. I don't think they've asked me to take them to a theater since I went to see the D&D movie and my youngest wanted to go with me.

The only place I saw ads for it was in front of other movies. But most of the streaming services I use don't have ads so who knows if it's on any of those

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

there was a period like three weeks ago where i saw a bunch of "rudy gillman" ads on the subway and i assumed it had already come out

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Len posted:

The only place I saw ads for it was in front of other movies. But most of the streaming services I use don't have ads so who knows if it's on any of those

Yeah I saw the trailer for it before Spider-Verse. But after seeing Spider-Verse, all other animated films just pale in comparison.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like all of these Mattel properties have been in development hell for ages.

What I don't get about how hard it supposedly was to find an acceptable "gently mocking but also celebrating in a self-aware way" tone for a Barbie movie is that Barbie: Life In The Dollhouse already exists and is exactly that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hollywood had a relatively stable model that lasted for decades and produced good movies and within 10 years the private equity/vertical integration/ip management crowd managed to largely destroy it. The only guys consistently making money are old 80s holdouts who do things their way.

They killed The Movies. Incredible!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mighty Max started out as toys that were just the boy version of Polly Pocket just have her meet up with the folks from the cartoon and get into crazy poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 3, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Surprise they didn’t announce an Uno movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of Greta Gerwig, she has agreed to direct two films for a new Narnia film series

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Uhhhh. They need to stop trying to make Narnia happen and move onto some newer fantasy. It’s dumb propaganda and won’t be improved significantly over the 00s versions. The last book won’t be any less unfilmable now than it’s ever been.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Speaking of Greta Gerwig, she has agreed to direct two films for a new Narnia film series

You forget to mention it's for Netflix. So it probably won't be as restricted as the theatrical movies. Greta can make it as bloody or blasphemous as she wants.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alan Smithee posted:

Surprise they didn’t announce an Uno movie

In a shocking reverse, they just did!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The MSJ posted:

You forget to mention it's for Netflix. So it probably won't be as restricted as the theatrical movies. Greta can make it as bloody or blasphemous as she wants.

The lion the witch and the wardrobe, the dark realistic remake where it's a real lion and a wiccan trapped in a small closet for an hour and a half.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

8one6 posted:

There was nothing in the ads for Rudy Giuliani: teenage kraken that looked even remotely interesting. gently caress, the Flash at least looked like the fun kind of train wreck (I didn't see that one either).

My kids and I watched Nimona last night and it was really good but I legit have never heard of the kraken movie so solid job by the studio on advertising there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m told upon his death Aslan recited the Shahada and accepted the light of Islam

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In a shocking reverse, they just did!

I wish they didn't draw four additional films then.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m told upon his death Aslan recited the Shahada and accepted the light of Islam

You won't trick me again, Tash!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Finally, the Narnia adaptation in which they attack and dethrone God

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Aslan was his slave name. Under the Tribe of Shabazz, he is Usama X.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

davidspackage posted:

Finally, the Narnia adaptation in which they attack and dethrone God

Think that's just His Dark Materials

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Mighty Max started out as toys that were just the boy version of Polly Pocket just have her meet up with the folks from the cartoon and get into crazy poo poo.

Sweet, can't open the lovely site to see the embedded pictures without logging in and had to instead read the article.

...It was in that article that I learned Sony grabbed the rights to Candy Land and tried to make an Adam Sandler movie out of it.

Edit: And "Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story" by Jerry Seinfeld

Prowler fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The "Lord of the Rings" proposal for Candy Land is one movie I wish did get greenlit because just lol that would have been something to see