Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

We are on Cookie Watch

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1675873497703227393?s=46&t=cm0JLAS35WZgvH8620lkzA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol at the posts elsewhere that proclaim Morey is just ANCHORING and he wants a superstar return and it’s how he held out and got Harden and all I can think is that that worked out great for him

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I don't post in the basketball forum much because I'm a Blazer fan and we are generally just mediocre. gently caress Lillard but this is probably the first time I'm excited for an upcoming season. Zero pressure to win, Sharpe looked great at the end of last season, and hopefully Scoot does well.

Maybe after all the drama I can enjoy basketball again :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Having a young team with potential and who are fun is the best. You just really get into the draft. And love watching young dudes learn and make mistakes...

Then when the Rookies don't improve and your team sucks still in year 3-4 of the rebuild is when you start to just want a bunch of veterans to hopefully watch a team actually win games and be competitive, and hope the young dudes learn something by being on a team of professional vets.

Then when that veteran team caps out at a play in/6th seed you start to think the best move is to blow it up and return to watching a bunch of bad young dudes, since you aren't going anywhere but getting washed in the first round if you make it there anyway.

Not speaking from experience or anything....

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hard for me to reconcile Blazer fan with "gently caress Lillard". The man has been the only worthwhile thing about the team for a decade. Whatever the outcome of his trade request there will be a statue of Damian Lillard outside the Moda Center.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

WhyteRyce posted:

Lol at the posts elsewhere that proclaim Morey is just ANCHORING and he wants a superstar return and it’s how he held out and got Harden and all I can think is that that worked out great for him

Morey's done a lot of shrewd deals to get the In Morey We Trust thing going in Houston but he's also had some major flops like trading for Ty Lawson or signing Dwight then poking the bear by offering to trade for Dirk. Guess we'll see how this unfolds

Westbrook doesn't count, I think that was all Harden and Morey's foot was out the door once Ferttita pushed that through

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hard for me to reconcile Blazer fan with "gently caress Lillard". The man has been the only worthwhile thing about the team for a decade. Whatever the outcome of his trade request there will be a statue of Damian Lillard outside the Moda Center.

Dame showed the org more loyalty than loyalty a fan base will ever show a player who finally hits a wall and says I want out.

It's why people were laughing knowingly at Dame's "run from the grind" statements.

Because unless he got lucky and fell into a roster that could win a ring, or was actually internally cool with never winning a ring and just being a lifer; this is always how it was gonna end.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a new study bible! posted:

The only NBA coach I actually believe in is Spo and maybe Pop. Kerr is a mega fraud.

Well if he's fraud, what's Mark Ja... okay, I see your point.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ammanas posted:

the only time I ever heard mid used to describe something was potheads talking about their plants, no one used it as a geneal term until like 2019

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is the poo poo that has been hard to deal with. Everyone in Portland wants to tell you how to enjoy the team (or specifically a player whose prime accomplishment is getting swept in WCF). I liked Dames time here, I hated how Olshey never made a real swing at contention, I could have done less with the Dame Loyalty Lore combined with the trade request rumors the last few years. And I really hoped he didn't do the "theres only one team I want to go to" on the way out schtick so the team could have more leverage getting a return.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Intruder posted:

Morey's done a lot of shrewd deals to get the In Morey We Trust thing going in Houston but he's also had some major flops like trading for Ty Lawson or signing Dwight then poking the bear by offering to trade for Dirk. Guess we'll see how this unfolds

Westbrook doesn't count, I think that was all Harden and Morey's foot was out the door once Ferttita pushed that through

Morey is great on a move by move basis. He always "wins" a trade. But I think thats at the expense of his team. Like, if he had Denver these last few years he would have over-reacted to Murray's injury and been messing with pieces instead of just letting that team gel and letting Murray come back with a defined role and place waiting for him. Its like he's got a baseball team where you slide pieces in an out instead of a basketball team that needs identity and defined roles for everyone. I think that hurt him a bit in Houston (I think bad luck was a big part, but they also knee-jerked because of that bad luck) but I think it's really showing up in Philly.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Dame is easily the best Blazer ever

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Papercut posted:

All-time points leader. Clyde scored more buckets and played more games/minutes but Dame has been Portland's star basically since he showed up.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Papercut posted:

It'll always be Clyde for me, maybe it's nostalgia but I got to watch those Finals runs with my dad. Still have the shirts :-)

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Papercut posted:

Bill walton?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Everyone is just using whatever leverage they have to get the outcome they want
It's fair for Dame to ask to be traded somewhere specific, just like it's fair for the team to seek the best deal for themselves.

Dame's not being an rear end in a top hat for caring and wanting to be in the best possible position for he and his family, now that it's clear it's not gonna work out in Portland.

Player overall probably has the most leverage overall, but their leverage comes at far more of a personal cost to execute on.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Papes posted:

Bill walton?

Also easily the most Portland person ever, despite his falling out with the Franchise the dude was really the embodiment of Portland in both good and bad ways.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It'll always be Clyde for me, maybe it's nostalgia but I got to watch those Finals runs with my dad. Still have the shirts :-)

Same and I mean my dog is named Clyde but he did the same thing as Dame and Dame is just better than he was

Papes posted:

Bill walton?

He played like two seasons for them

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Word is the Nets want a pick in exchange for Herro’s contract lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Papercut posted:

Same and I mean my dog is named Clyde but he did the same thing as Dame and Dame is just better than he was

He played like two seasons for them

Different era, and accomplishments mean a bit more to me than stats. Also its weird with stats, are we talking greatest individual season? Longest good run? Defense not count? Like Waltons championship season was probably the best individual season. Drexlers accomplishments were better (and his defense was a lot better) and the length of time he was with the franchise was about the same, but he did have better players around him.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lillard is probably the best Blazer but even Rasheed Wallace won the same number of playoff games in fewer years so I can see why fans might not appreciate him as much as you'd expect.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Clyde the Glide is an all time nickname that alone makes him better than Dame

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Clyde the Glide is an all time nickname that alone makes him better than Dame

Early 90s he was 2nd to no one other than Jordan as well. Kinda surprised theres even a discussion on this but recency and higher scoring games kinda makes sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't like when guys on their rookie-max contracts ask out, especially if the team is still somewhat in the mix. They have the right to, but I think it's just kinda crappy when someone isn't willing to stick out their millions-dollars-contract after the team developed them and built a team around them.

Dame is way past that.

I get it, the team is clearly looking at the future and Lillard is just going to be carrying water. I also don't blame the team using the fact that theres 3+1 years on that contract and I seriously doubt Lillard is going to walk away from 200M by not reporting to another team.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Dalano Banton signed with Boston, which feels more than slightly heretical.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the blazers have been shopping him for multiple seasons and when no one gives them the Godfather Offer they release a press statement about how incredibly committed they are to damian lillard

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

I get it, the team is clearly looking at the future and Lillard is just going to be carrying water. I also don't blame the team using the fact that theres 3+1 years on that contract and I seriously doubt Lillard is going to walk away from 200M by not reporting to another team.

That's the thing, I don't think he would either, but like if I were a team considering giving up a haul for him I would not do so if there was even a hint that he wasn't willing to play out that contract on my team.

As even without the 200 million dude is still wealthy enough to walk away with a comfortable life for he and his.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Zogo posted:

Vanessa Bryant Wins Lawsuit Against Former Kobe Inc. President Who Made 'Offensive' Comments About the Family
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vanessa-bryant-wins-lawsuit-against-191101501.html

Harden will probably go down as one of the all-time ringless GOATs. Currently the #6 player on the WS list with no NBA/ABA title.

Big Bench Energy.

the current ringless goat is Kevin Durant

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

the blazers have been shopping him for multiple seasons and when no one gives them the Godfather Offer they release a press statement about how incredibly committed they are to damian lillard

If the Blazers were truly shopping Lillard for two years then he would have been traded already.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I put Dame above Drexler personally, but that could also be because Drexler played with some players that I really liked as a kid, whereas Dame's been doing it pretty much by himself.

I have no issue with Dame wanting a trade to Miami. If he doesn't say where he wants to go he could easily end up in Utah or Minnesota, and no one wants that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Mean Baby posted:

If the Blazers were truly shopping Lillard for two years then he would have been traded already.

and thats why bradley beal hasnt been a wizard in living memory

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Chris Haynes said Portlands gm told dame flat out they would trade the 3rd pick to get him some help and after that lie they told him they would make a different trade to get him some help (didn't do that either) lmao clown organization

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the greatest blazer of all time is arvydas sabonis, for looking like that

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ant got his max, 5/260

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

That's the thing, I don't think he would either, but like if I were a team considering giving up a haul for him I would not do so if there was even a hint that he wasn't willing to play out that contract on my team.

As even without the 200 million dude is still wealthy enough to walk away with a comfortable life for he and his.

I think the biggest problem is this request didn't come out 2 weeks ago.

I think the market would be better at the trade deadline or even next off-season.

Carlosologist posted:

Ant got his max, 5/260

Good deal. I think he needs to get all-NBA or MVP to hit that number though. Glad it was all settled though.

even better:

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1675906766616363013

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

and thats why bradley beal hasnt been a wizard in living memory

Comparing Dame to Beal is absurd. They aren’t comparable.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Mean Baby posted:

Comparing Dame to Beal is absurd. They aren’t comparable.

*reading a comparison that ruins my argument* guhhh absurd

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Traxis posted:

Lillard is probably the best Blazer but even Rasheed Wallace won the same number of playoff games in fewer years so I can see why fans might not appreciate him as much as you'd expect.

I hate this line of thinking.

Jason Richardson is still one of my all time favorite Warriors because that guy balled out, every night, on some of the shittiest dubs teams of my lifetime. He singlehandedly willed the Warriors to at least being entertaining when you knew you were destined for defeat- like going against the Kobe/Shaq Lakers or something. You went to the game knowing ahead of time but hey, were down 2 with 45 seconds to go!

People that base quality of player and what they gave to the franchise solely on playoff wins generally suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I mean tbf to that post Rasheed is a close runner up for best Blazer of all time