Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just close your eyes and pretend it didn't happen.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Is this based on anything specific? Is it really just "idk throw some shapes and colors up there, that's all modern art is anyway!"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Spider-Man’s flat rear end doesn’t look so bad now, does it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I feel like this, more than Everyone is Awesome or Queer Eye or BTS, is setting itself up to be the most controversial set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Those 3 are all real sets, though. As bad as the BTS set is.

For the most part, these wall art sets are all rear end. Starry night looks like shakiras rear end. But it's still rear end.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRiAI5xrFEM
35:00 picker upper, this one mystified me

It was hard to tell with the camera panning over the grabber quickly, but it looks like there are rubber bands holding the grabbers in tension. At the top of the lift, there is probably something that pries open the outside prongs from the back, allowing the ball to slide out.

Edit:/

I just got notified that the Executor I ordered earlier today (on back order) has shipped. It was listed as shipping by July 15th. UPS doesn’t have any info on the tracking number yet, so no idea if it will get here Monday, or at some point after the holiday.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 2, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Orvin posted:

It was hard to tell with the camera panning over the grabber quickly, but it looks like there are rubber bands holding the grabbers in tension. At the top of the lift, there is probably something that pries open the outside prongs from the back, allowing the ball to slide out.

Yeah I just couldn't figure out what it was hitting on the back side. It's definitely rubber bands expanding around the ball to grab it

Also I'm waiting for Lego to sell a 2x2 white tile with stud with a black 1x1 round tile on top of it as their true modern art display.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Carbohydrates posted:

I feel like this, more than Everyone is Awesome or Queer Eye or BTS, is setting itself up to be the most controversial set.

What was controversial about the Queer Eye one, it being a bit of an odd/not particularly popular show to make a set about aside?
The Everyone is Awesome one I can see (for sad/stupid reasons), the BTS set was obviously mostly about the minifigs.

It's all homophobia isn't it? :smith:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Correction, there are five options

don’t buy the damned set in the first place

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think it's nice that there's still 'sets we developed over COVID with no oversight' that they can release. :)

Zedd posted:

It's all homophobia isn't it? :smith:

Naturally.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The QE set also kinda just sucked.
(I love EEIA though, and have it on my desk)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If anyone doesn't want their Houses of the World 2 hit me uuuup...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh hey a Lego thread! I'm an almost-middle-aged guy in an almost-middle-age crisis, and decided to go back and try to relive at least part of my childhood passions because the world as it is today sucks quite a lot, thank you very much, it was better 30 years ago.

So I re-discovered Lego, and I guess they're now making tons of sets just for nostalgic adults with disposable income like me?!? I obviously fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Got the Medieval blacksmith because it looked great and I've always had a thing for big buildings and the middle ages, and it wasn't excessively expensive. Also I'm not a big fan of branded stuff, when I was a kid we had pirates (not Pirates of the Caribbean or whatever), knights (not LOTR), spacemen (not Star Wars) and those are the kind of sets that give me more warm fuzzy feelings.

Well anyway I assembled it, oooh and aaaahd at it a lot, played with it a while but that's definitely more of a display piece than a play piece despite being good enough at that too, especially due to the scale - bigger than most other Legos - being much more friendly to adult-sized hands. I'm in this for the beauty of the set and for the nostalgia factor both, but I do still rate playability high even if I'm not actually playing with them (or, let's say, not admitting it to strangers on the internet? Before now at least?)

Then next up, I bought the Lion's Knights Castle. Still finishing assembly of that monster, and the big amount of minifigs and the tons of play potential is awesome, I especially like how it hinges open/closed and can assume different forms (are there more sets like that? I'm eyeing the Eldorado fortress too, I love modular designs I can rearrange or unfold open for play or display)

Haven't got pics with me, and besides they're just the normal boring-rear end instruction booklet assemblies. Now, the interesting thing ... this weekend I'm going back to my childhood town where my parents still have my old toys, and I'm going to get alllllll those bricks back. I had a ton of stuff, so much I don't even remember what it is (I'm pretty sure I had a pirate galleon and the vintage eldorado fortress too!) and I have no idea what's still there, but according to my mom it's "2 chests + 1 cardboard box full to the brim with Legos" and I'm goddamn excited to either restore some vintage sets, or start some new MOCs with the bajillion pieces there.

So that's my story, sorry for boring all of you :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 3, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Welcome, pick up a Galaxy Explorer on the way out

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Welcome to our fellowship

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
As a kind of half-measure PAB to get 800 uncommon pieces in uncommon colors for $50, the Modern Art set isn't bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HootTheOwl posted:

Welcome, pick up a Galaxy Explorer on the way out

Definitely do this, it’s such a great build.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
TorakFade , that's great! I recommend using Google lens on your phone to identify weird childhood pieces and then looking up what sets used them on bricklink.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

aren't they OOP?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They are retiring the set this year and probably aren't making more, but you can still buy it. I was at a lego store last week and they had a half dozen on the shelf. The lego online shop has it too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My wife discovered this unhealthy habit and to avoid getting slapped across the face and being told to stop wasting money, I got her the Orchid as a gift. Now she wants the Tiger (that butthole!!! :3: ) and the Penguin, and I'm getting her some flowers too. Long story short, another 90€ of Legos coming our way.

Tomorrow they release the Eldorado fortress for VIP members, which I am (seen the prices I'm paying, you bet that I'm going to try for all the discounts I can possibly get, and I'm definitely going to pile up enough VIP points for a hefty discount on some big set in the future). Will I be strong enough to resist? No, no I won't. At least it's less expensive than my other main hobby... :negative:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 3, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Hey new person I haven't said this to yet, get the Tallneck while you still can.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Taeke posted:

Hey new person I haven't said this to yet, get the Tallneck while you still can.

I actually keep meaning to build this, but I don't have anywhere to put it really :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hey new person, since you like spending lots of $$ go back and buy Pirates of Barracuda Bay and Ninjago City. In that order. Arguably the two best sets they've ever released. Pirates is a bit cheaper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waltzing Along posted:

Hey new person, since you like spending lots of $$ go back and buy Pirates of Barracuda Bay and Ninjago City. In that order. Arguably the two best sets they've ever released. Pirates is a bit cheaper.

Out of print, or I'd second this.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I actually keep meaning to build this, but I don't have anywhere to put it really :(

Yes you do.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Frankly I hate the hell out of the fact that I missed the boat (so to speak) on Barracuda Bay.

E: wrong piratey b word

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SithDrummer posted:

Frankly I hate the hell out of the fact that I missed the boat (so to speak) on Barracuda Bay.

E: wrong piratey b word

this and I am not giving someone on ebay 350€+ for it, so sadly no chance :smith:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TorakFade posted:

this and I am not giving someone on ebay 350€+ for it, so sadly no chance :smith:

It's hard to find. https://creephybrid.easy.co/products/zebra-blocks-698998-21322-pirates-of-barracuda-bay

https://joooooy.com/products/2545-pcs-pirates-of-barracuda-bay-21322?_pos=2&_sid=6ca5287b6&_ss=r

These are the only clones available I could find, most of the sites had them out of stock and only a MOC version available instead with a higher piece count.

It's clearly desirable - $135 for shipping it to me from jooy, $227 from creepyhybrid in box, vs $220 after tax new. The few clones I've bought before were under half price of original MSRP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TorakFade posted:

It's worth more than that. It was much cheaper at retail, but it's so good it is really worth it still.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/w4m0Ji9.mp4

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Got my wicked brick today.
Two things: those clings they use to protect the pieces is a static magnet.
Slotted screws suuuccck. The screwdriver kept sliding around the whole time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Banned

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

The_Doctor posted:

I only finished mine today and holy poo poo it's fantastic. Those arrows are just so bloody clever.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i finally finshed the titanic and holy moly it's so beautiful. pain in the rear end finding a place to put it though, it's heavy enough that it's brought shelves down and thats very exciting.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

DamnitGannet posted:

i finally finshed the titanic and holy moly it's so beautiful. pain in the rear end finding a place to put it though, it's heavy enough that it's brought shelves down and thats very exciting.

I mean, that feels incredibly appropriate. That boat just wants to get down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DamnitGannet posted:

Display tip: sprinkle a few of the extra pieces around the bow for an updated 2023 model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Display tip: sprinkle a few of the extra pieces around the bow for an updated 2023 model

:hmmyes: