Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm a bit shocked too, they are up against fierce competition in the proxy market. I like the GW stuff, but it isn't better or worse than most of what is available. I like their vehicles more though, those malcador looks so good. 30k is also how they introduced epic the first time, as long as we support it I'm sure we'll see xenos. I cannot imagine they'd reintroduce it without the possibility of growing it to 40k.

not quite the same, as space marine was a self-contained game in a box, and the later factions were accompanied by army-in-a-box releases. people keep saying they're going to add more non-imperial armies to 30K any day now, too, and they've barely released some demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can someone help me out here. What's that GW mini called, I think it may be a double character set, but one of the guys is a lowly peon carrying a giant book, or book lectern, on his back? Had an idea for little scene, but damned if I can recall what that one is called.

This is not what you're asking for but it made me think of this dwarf and I had to go find it: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/kharadron-overlords-codewright-2023

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

not quite the same, as space marine was a self-contained game in a box, and the later factions were accompanied by army-in-a-box releases. people keep saying they're going to add more non-imperial armies to 30K any day now, too, and they've barely released some demons.

I wouldn't expect any xenos any time soon for 30k, but pushing NuEpic to 40k makes sense because of Aeronautica

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I converted and painted some minis I gave away to friends pretty recently, and thought you guys might like seeing them as well. I mainly did them because I wanted to try out new methods and especially give contrast-style paints a go. The photos aren't the best as I hadn't access to good light when I took the photos, and in retrospect I might need to clean the lenses on my phone camera. :v:

This first one is a Valhallan guardsman based on a Warlord Games Winter Soviet soldier, with the arms from a Wargames Atlantic Grognard. I basecoated him in some light khaki, drybrushed white and then when I noticed I had gotten a good white, I just left it on, but shaded it a bit with the Vallejo white contrast. Skin, gloves, shoes and hat are all various Vallejo contrast-style paints. I am really happy with him, and I didn't even do any highlights, beyond fixing up the white coat!

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I also converted up a Tanith guardsman from a Wargames Atlantic Oorah! torso, the arms and gun from the WA Space Nam box and the head is from the Games Workshop new stormtroopers. I mainly wanted to test out various black contrast paints here, and from mixing one of the GW ones and the one from Vallejo, you can create quite a lot of different dark colours. Washing with a black wash also can change the base color a lot in interesting ways, so this was both fun to paint and educational! I also found out you can super easily do tattoos by using the Vallejo contrast paint, I just need to get better at brush control. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've started painting again after maybe more than a decade away from warhammer (I'm only kind of ashamed) Last time I used citadel paints they were still in screw lid pots, are these new ones any good or do they dry the gently caress out like always?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they’re worse

E: they may be better than the old pots for long term storage if you keep the rim clean. you will literally never keep the rim clean because the lid is designed to trap paint

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

they’re worse

E: they may be better than the old pots for long term storage if you keep the rim clean. you will literally never keep the rim clean because the lid is designed to trap paint

You don't need to be obsessive about keeping the rim completely clear. Clean enough is plenty. Bigger worry is accidentally tipping the pot over for Contrast/Washes or it just flat out drying from exposure if you forget to shut the lid.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Transferring all my Cit Paints over to dropper bottles was one of the best hobby decisions I've ever made. The only problems I deal with now when it comes to paints is pressure in the bottles popping the very top of the caps right off and the occasional clogged nozzle.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
I spent two days transferring all my citadel paints over to droppers and it’s been a godsend, although I’m trying to move off citadel completely and buy Vallejo and the like now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is not what you're asking for but it made me think of this dwarf and I had to go find it: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/kharadron-overlords-codewright-2023

Only correct thing to paint on the page is Dickbutt.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Forgot they were Chaos, but I could do a few small conversions to turn them to the Imperium.

Sure thing, buddy. Tell it to the Inquisitor.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Here's some Solar Auxilla I did.

STLs that I printed on my Saturn 2. Bases were also printed. I think they were free on Cults.
Since there's a lot of them I only do minimal highlights and give them an enamel wash with AK streaking grime and wipe that off to give them some depth.

25 down...many more to go.

Our stalwart commander.

Plasma Gunner

Infantryman

Heavy Weapon Tractor

Also, shoutout to AndyElusive for turning me on to AK's pigment line for the dusty dirt effect. Thanks again.

Ez8 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 4, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'll probably wait until I get half the squad or more done before snapping more pics to avoid model-by-model updating a large squad, but pretty happy with the general vibe I'm getting out of my traitor guard. Uniform colors, but dirty and grimy. Lasguns that look like they got picked up from a past battlefield, only things in decent condition are their shirts.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Yo, posted about this a while ago & checking in, still working on it. Finished the first tactical squad, so 9 to go:

I need to get flock and decals and flags on these guys but the paint scheme is down and it looks awesome

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Under 15 posted:

Yo, posted about this a while ago & checking in, still working on it. Finished the first tactical squad, so 9 to go:

I need to get flock and decals and flags on these guys but the paint scheme is down and it looks awesome

This is just how I painted mine in 3rd except insanely better :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I will defo look into droppers, I work in a tattoo place so I'll see about maybe grabbing some off our supplier wholesale :v:

(Also inkpots and alcohol which has already proven very handy)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Under 15 posted:

I need to get flock

I hope you mean "sand painted goblin green then drybrushed with yellow"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope you mean "sand painted goblin green then drybrushed with yellow"

sand is a kind of flock

someone suggested cement gapfiller as a basing material to me once, i should hit the hardware store sometime

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Skeletons!

I need to pick up more of these, they're just so fun and easy and nice to paint.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

sand is a kind of flock

someone suggested cement gapfiller as a basing material to me once, i should hit the hardware store sometime

My basing is almost entirely drywall compound mixed with Elmer's glue and water to whatever consistency I need. Add in various grits of sand / small stone and you can base for years with almost no cost.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Under 15 posted:

Hell yeah fellow lead painter!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

My basing is almost entirely drywall compound mixed with Elmer's glue and water to whatever consistency I need. Add in various grits of sand / small stone and you can base for years with almost no cost.

this is reinventing plaster of paris cement from first principles, that rules. i should be looking more carefully at traditional arts and crafts stuff too.

i have used proper rocks for basing, but ever since i switched to using cork, i'll never go back. a weightless flexible compressible "rock" i can attach with any glue and shape or pierce with any tool, including my fingernails, is just too convenient. you can even just crumble pieces too small to use for scree or gravel flock. the only things it can't do are making polished or durably sharp shapes, but there are other materials for that.

i was mainly curious about the driveway gapfiller as something with a grainy texture that can be shaped into peaks and flows with a (sacrificial) brush but dries harder than air-dry clay. end of the day, it's something i can do reasonably well with plaster or clay or vallejo mud, but something more solid that still has the texture is an appealing prospect.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Skeletons!

I need to pick up more of these, they're just so fun and easy and nice to paint.

Gotta love a bunch of skelly boys standing in the universal "You want a piece of this?" pose

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gotta love a bunch of skelly boys standing in the universal "You want a piece of this?" pose

In my headcanon, they're an boyband.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Shoehead posted:

I will defo look into droppers, I work in a tattoo place so I'll see about maybe grabbing some off our supplier wholesale :v:

(Also inkpots and alcohol which has already proven very handy)

If you can order ink cheaper than retail, do it because tattoo ink is better than artists' ink for modelling applications (denser pigmentation, 100% non toxic). I have a bunch from when I was a tattoo artist and I've been using it for years to make my own washes.

Edit: it's also wayyyyyyy loving cheaper than artists' ink

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm questing knights complete

strips:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

drat, those grail knights are slick!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I love those knights- can’t wait to see them on the battlefield!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

After careful testing I can confirm that gravity still does, in fact, work.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Under 15 posted:

Those are really neat. Evil suns scarlet/wild rider?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh noooooooooooooo. That... that will buff out, right?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh. Oh no. Sending you all of the internet sympathies. Are you going to try and rebuild it?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

f

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, sorry dude!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Mr Teatime posted:

Those are really neat. Evil suns scarlet/wild rider?

I'm a Reaper Man

09401 Dragon Red
09217 Magma Red
09218 Lava Orange

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Reaper's paints are really good for their price.

I'm really fond of their pure white.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I wasn't aware Reaper was even still around! It seems like they're priced comparably to Vallejo but more than Army Painter, at least in USD.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reaper's triads are great if you have trouble matching up particular shade/midtone/highlights, and the quality of the paints themselves is really good. Their Rosy Skin triad is an especially good base for any kind of lighter skin tones, since all three paints mix well with other colors to tint them however you need, while still retaining a warm undertone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I don’t use reaper anymore, but I remember for the longest time I used dark elf skin and dusky skin- as there wasn’t anything else quite like it