Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

big black turnout posted:

lovely slashdot

that's just regular slashdot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

atomicvocabulary posted:

I'm an internet OG but never used Digg, was it any good?

no

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It was an aggregator, like Reddit. It was fine. Its design was a little more “friendly”, at least compared to OG Reddit, but a little less functional IMO.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i remember digg getting popular and started using it to browse news, etc for a week or two, then kinda coming to the conclusion that it sucked rear end

that was long before it apparently got worse and everyone migrated to reddit

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you’re trying to determine if something was good, simply ask yourself the question, “was it on the internet?” if the answer is yes, then it was bad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

atomicvocabulary posted:

I'm an internet OG but never used Digg, was it any good?

Eh, at the start it was alright place to check every now and then for tech news and some other things. Back then you were going to multiple sites to fill time, no expectation for a one size fits all deal.

Digg started adding other topics, but really quickly it started devolving into a lot of crappy Lowest Common Denominator crap to become more of a daily hub. My main issue with it at the time was it becoming overloaded with top 10 lists of custom Lego (vaguely tech/videogame/nerd related IP) and just dumb poo poo like that. The way it worked back then it would just clog up the pages and push down the stuff I actually wanted to see. There were also fewer people really able to post content, I forgot how it worked exactly. That's not inherently a bad thing, but the stuff the site was posting sucked more and more.

My computer science teacher used reddit and I started lurking there, it was all just links to articles and a comment section for discussion below. Then they allowed linking directly to images and displaying thumbnails for it and reddit almost immediately turned itself into Digg, except way bigger and letting anyone post stuff and make communities.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Khanstant posted:

Eh, at the start it was alright place to check every now and then for tech news and some other things. Back then you were going to multiple sites to fill time, no expectation for a one size fits all deal.

Digg started adding other topics, but really quickly it started devolving into a lot of crappy Lowest Common Denominator crap to become more of a daily hub. My main issue with it at the time was it becoming overloaded with top 10 lists of custom Lego (vaguely tech/videogame/nerd related IP) and just dumb poo poo like that. The way it worked back then it would just clog up the pages and push down the stuff I actually wanted to see. There were also fewer people really able to post content, I forgot how it worked exactly. That's not inherently a bad thing, but the stuff the site was posting sucked more and more.

My computer science teacher used reddit and I started lurking there, it was all just links to articles and a comment section for discussion below. Then they allowed linking directly to images and displaying thumbnails for it and reddit almost immediately turned itself into Digg, except way bigger and letting anyone post stuff and make communities.

Don't forget they forcefully pushed out that Digg v4 site rewrite that nobody asked for and nobody liked at a point when they were already kind of on thin ice, iirc

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC Digg also didnt do subreddits. I think you could choose certain topics to go into your feed, but it was way more of a grain silo of general internet stuff. Reddit can be tailored down pretty efficiently to stay away from most of the dumb poo poo.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Going going, back back, to mIRC :slick:

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.

DeusIgnis posted:

I just came back to SA now that Twitter and Reddit are borked.

Same. Then I realised I registered here 20 years ago and now I feel bad about my life

CaptainZot
Aug 11, 2000

cadex posted:

Same. Then I realised I registered here 20 years ago and now I feel bad about my life
Yeah… yeah.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

cadex posted:

But at least this crackhouse is still standing after all these years.

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My RIF is still working for whatever reason. Once that stops I'll probably be done since the mobile experience is untenable.

I was also using the hopwatch app on my shield to watch reddit videos, I presume that's probably going away too but I haven't checked.

I feel like there's a hole in the market for pushing gif/video content to TVs in a constant stream of poo poo you might actually want to watch.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
In a lot of ways I downgraded when I went from a 16 foot HDMI connecting my tv and laptop to having Roku streaming whatever service I pay or leech off of and YouTube with ads every 5 minutes.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Having an endless feed of the videos from reddit on my TV sounds like malware that you'd have to pay hackers to remove

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Konar posted:

Having an endless feed of the videos from reddit on my TV sounds like malware that you'd have to pay hackers to remove

That's certainly a valid opinion. I will say though being able to turn on the TV and just watch clips from animalsbeingderps is more blessed than cursed in my experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remember when the forums had a Digg button? It lasted a long time after Digg got replaced by reddit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mega64 posted:

Remember when the forums had a Digg button?

I miss it

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Reddit needs a Something Awful button.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Houle posted:

and YouTube with ads every 5 minutes.

A VPN to Turkey and I've got a Youtube Premium family plan for ~£2.50/month.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
SmartTube is ad free but third party and likely to be killed soon if trends hold I imagine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A VPN to Turkey and I've got a Youtube Premium family plan for ~£2.50/month.

This kind of exploit is supposedly behind regional Steam price hikes, Turkey included.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cousin Todd posted:

SmartTube is ad free but third party and likely to be killed soon if trends hold I imagine.

Youtube is doing their best to murder YT Vanced but it keeps on living like a cockroach somehow. I wish we could just watch poo poo in peace jfc

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Peace is only for those who can shell out $10 per month

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Houle posted:

In a lot of ways I downgraded when I went from a 16 foot HDMI connecting my tv and laptop to having Roku streaming whatever service I pay or leech off of and YouTube with ads every 5 minutes.

Best free solution is Brave browser on iPhone airplaying to an Apple TV. Blocks all the ads, seamless playback on the tv and you can use other apps while it’s playing.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Peaked at the front page today. There's a smattering of subs I'd never even heard of before. All really soft content like "What do you if you can't go to sleep at night, reddit?" (every post has a reply that says 'crank one out'). Just soft no-thought useless "today i learned" type stuff.

No meta-drama or site commentary. Not even threads about current political events, us or international. Just a dangerously highly opioid drip of feel nothing content.

There is no war in Ba Sing Se.
Literally 1984

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

wooger posted:

Best free solution is Brave browser on iPhone airplaying to an Apple TV. Blocks all the ads, seamless playback on the tv and you can use other apps while it’s playing.

its not "free" but an HTPC reigns supreme for all things (except using a remote to navigate), a cheap little used dell optiplex will do everything including running a fairly decent plex server

Though of course constant appification means sometimes there are issues with browsers and lower resolution playback. Nothing is perfect :(

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Only took 2 days for the swarm of ChatGPT bots to start posting in force, yeesh. The general tone sounds generally familiar; is that how my posts sound to other people? :sigh:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bus hustler posted:

its not "free" but an HTPC reigns supreme for all things

How does that let me browse YouTube on my phone and have the videos appear without ads instantly on my TV when I play them?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

wooger posted:

How does that let me browse YouTube on my phone and have the videos appear without ads instantly on my TV when I play them?

NewPipe
alternatively, adblocking DNS, hit all your devices from your router.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 3, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

NewPipe
alternatively, adblocking DNS, hit all your devices from your router.

Pretty sure youtube serves ads from the same cdn they do videos.

I just pay for premium. I get youtube music and no ads on YouTube as a bonus.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Slimy Hog posted:

Pretty sure youtube serves ads from the same cdn they do videos.

I just pay for premium. I get youtube music and no ads on YouTube as a bonus.

Well newpipe app still works just fine (rip vance though), blocks all youtube ads, can still cast and all that jazz.
So does any generic adblock. So I don't see why a DNS blocker that totes doing the same would be any different but I've been wrong before.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cousin Todd posted:

They can't kill an app if you sideload it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

They can't kill an app if you sideload it.

That's definitely not true. That is to say the concern is less the app not being available to launch, and more the infrastructure that allows it to show me YouTube videos without ads and skipping sponsored content going away and making launching the app pointless.

CaptainZot
Aug 11, 2000

Konar posted:

Peace is only for those who can shell out $10 per month
I shell that out each month and still wish I could search properly. Lately every search is 9-10 results, then "here's a bunch of other poo poo you might like (you won't like it and even if you did it's not what you're actually looking for but who gives a poo poo)".

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Poohs Packin posted:

Going going, back back, to mIRC :slick:

does anyone else still occasionally use irc and/or soulseek to get obscure files?

I definitely peaked back in the 00s

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I do the same. 7€ as a student is not too bad.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use Soulseek a lot. There's a lot of music I like that isn't available in physical formats or digitally, especially like weird Soviet era psych rock or Japanese 80s goth stuff etc. It's quite active.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Heath posted:

weird Soviet era psych rock

i am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

HonorableTB posted:

i am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter