Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

wooger posted:

At least they don’t end up doing arena tours with barely 20 minutes of material.

Isn't' that exactly what they've been doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mickolution posted:

Isn't' that exactly what they've been doing?

The football pundits I mean.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
football panellists should be selected like a jury. random ex-players who have better places to be and sigh loudly into their mics while checking their watches on camera

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

wooger posted:

The football pundits I mean.

Yeah, so did I. There's some bullshit series Sky have been advertising that seems to follow them around UK & Ireland where they seem to be playing arena sized shows.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wooger posted:

They also have the same issue that UK comedy panel shows have too: a given set of ex footballer pundits are on everything all the time regardless of talent or likeability, 100% based on being signed up to a specific talent agency, very often one where the spouse of the show producer works.

At least they don’t end up doing arena tours with barely 20 minutes of material.

Yep. Example : Taskmaster, a show produced by a talent agency who sell their own talent to their own production. At this point it's basically in the initial representation contract.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avalon have ruined comedy

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Here’s my impression of the downright awful punditry that fans have to endure from anyone other than rebecca lowe and the two Robbie’s

*feigned indignity and righteousness in a barely intelligible accent* You just can’t do that. Unless you’re my co-host when he played in that match in 1997 on a Tuesday in stoke, right?
*forced laughter from everyone in the room in unison* HAHAAHHAHA

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
You're just making me wish harder that the grim reaper had taken Neville instead of Sean Locke

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nuclear Spoon posted:

richarlison is going to score 25 goals next season

i sincerely promise you that this will not happen

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

tbp posted:

i sincerely promise you that this will not happen

You're going to be sorry when he's doing this dance at least 26 times this season.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eric Cantonese posted:

You're going to be sorry when he's doing this dance at least 26 times this season.

tbf 13 goals is a lot of goals to score when you miss half the season through suspensions for accumulated yellows

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Getting real bored of no football

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
are the U21 euros and concacaf gold cup not good enough for you

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Frankston posted:

The Canadian Premier League is in full swing my friend

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have to admit I’m a big fan of this “dance”.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chelsea can't give players 17 year contracts as a way to spread the fee over extra years anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/28/chelsea-suffer-blow-as-uefa-close-transfer-contract-loophole

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

European football’s governing body has also moved to prevent clubs colluding to inflate the value of players for accounting purposes.

Huge blow for fans of financial crime everywhere

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That’s why the guy bought Strasbourg, a club that can buy all the players that don’t work at Chelsea for stupidly inflated sums and then collapse after an FFP investigation

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Chelsea can't give players 17 year contracts as a way to spread the fee over extra years anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/28/chelsea-suffer-blow-as-uefa-close-transfer-contract-loophole
They knew this loophole was going to be closed at some point, which is why they rushed so many of these transfers. Those deals are now grandfathered in and no one else gets to enjoy the same benefits.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fortunately it’s Chelsea so they will not be able to exploit their ill-gotten gains in any way

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's not really a loophole, it's how numbers work in football.

It's just dangerous to offer contracts that long, and FFP at it's core is mostly trying to prevent another Portsmouth/Rangers/Parma situation.

So it makes sense that FFP would remove the accounting incentive to offer long contacts.

The US sports leagues all have rules on maximum contract length for the owner's benefit

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Arsenal fans sign some great players and still spend all their time talking about Chelsea.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vegetable posted:

They knew this loophole was going to be closed at some point, which is why they rushed so many of these transfers. Those deals are now grandfathered in and no one else gets to enjoy the same benefits.

The benefits seemingly being "Sell those players at a loss after 1 year".

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

City did more financial crimes

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/man-city-uae-payments-premier-league-htg63m07r

quote:

A mystery figure from the United Arab Emirates paid Manchester City £30 million, a leaked report has revealed.

The Uefa report, produced in 2020 but never published, concludes that the two £15 million payments from 2012 and 2013 were made to cover sums that were supposed to have come from one of their main sponsors. The payments are expected to be part of the 115 alleged breaches of the Premier League’s financial rules that City were charged with in February.

The report has been obtained by the makers of a YouTube film about City’s finances. It comes only three weeks after City celebrated clinching the Treble by winning the Champions League for the first time in the club’s history.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Isn’t “a mystery figure” just another name for one of their sponsors that don’t actually exist

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

Isn’t “a mystery figure” just another name for one of their sponsors that don’t actually exist

It sounds like City didn’t even bother funneling through one of their fake sponsors and just had some Qatari royal write City a check.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's going to be an £80m accounting entry for "trying to bring Pep's hair back" and they will ask Rob Holding to be an expert witness in the price of transplants

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Xabi posted:

I have to admit I’m a big fan of this “dance”.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1675827728312827904

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Saudis saved Leeds from themselves by taking this clown off the market and as such they are cool now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lol, lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

Saudis saved Leeds from themselves by taking this clown off the market and as such they are cool now

with the way they're throwing money around and seemingly nobody giving a poo poo don't be shocked when they buy leeds and install him then

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The further this fraud oval office is away from Villa the better so this is a great move imo

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I hope the number of Liverpool fans saying “future Liverpool manager” has now been reduced to 0 (zero).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plenty of time to manage Liverpool I’m the future

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
non-zero chance that gerrard shows up to a dinner at the owners and finds a bunch of sheikhs wearing demba ba chelsea kits, all wanting to get a photo recreating The Moment

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Xabi posted:

I hope the number of Liverpool fans saying “future Liverpool manager” has now been reduced to 0 (zero).

i'd comp[letely forgotten about the guy in your av until this post and it made me do an irl lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kri kri posted:

Plenty of time to manage Liverpool I’m the future

You might be, good luck op

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

i loving despise him so much lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Frankston posted:

same. it was cool for a few weeks but i'm over it now. lets get a move on