Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm in my third decade. This used to be pretty rare! I never went to war as an adolescent or pre-adolescent. I have never witnessed firsthand the ravages of war on my loved ones, nor the effects of starvation, illness, disease, and rot. I mean, I've had to work a lot, and that sucks, but in terms relative to the vast majority of human experience and history, I've lived a tremendously fortunate and long life. Literally so rude to whine about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

oh look as you turn into a middle aged man your opinion is that the kids should complain less they have it good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MightyBigMinus posted:

oh look as you turn into a middle aged man your opinion is that the kids should complain less they have it good

why did you interpret their post that way when they didn't mention "the kids"? they are saying they personally have had a pretty fortunate life on this planet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm in my 30s too and all predictions point to "the kids" having a much less fortunate first 30 years than I did

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm in my third decade. This used to be pretty rare! I never went to war as an adolescent or pre-adolescent. I have never witnessed firsthand the ravages of war on my loved ones, nor the effects of starvation, illness, disease, and rot. I mean, I've had to work a lot, and that sucks, but in terms relative to the vast majority of human experience and history, I've lived a tremendously fortunate and long life. Literally so rude to whine about that.

you're not even 30 years old?!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Someone with a better grasp of statistics than me can probably do it justice but I like to imagine it as a coin being flipped every day - you know from past data that it could turn up Heads or Tails, and a long string of Tails could technically happen by chance and you can calculate that chance, and every subsequent day it comes up Tails that chance persists but gets smaller, and the smaller it gets the more likely the explanation that the coin is being manipulated somehow.

Quite how it applies to SST is beyond me though. Some stats nerd get in here and do the needful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TfdNAXOwE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm a biostatistician and i say who the gently caress cares

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

spoeken like a true applied statistician

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

However, Zeman said he's concerned about "salvage logging" — when industries move in to seek burnt timber after a wildfire is extinguished, likening it to a "gold rush" mentality.

Zeman said the "outdated" practice is due to economic considerations.

Burned wood can be used for fuel as well as in the production of pulp and paper. But research has found that wood decay after a wildfire reduces timber quality, so companies seek to recover as much freshly burned wood as possible before the multi-year decay process begins.

"Salvage logging tends to bring a lot of roads and trails. It brings a lot of weeds," he said. "You don't see regeneration of the forest nearly as quickly as you would by leaving those trees standing or leaving kind of a more diverse landscape."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

how is it that every possible thing i have ever learned only makes things worse

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

seems to me that all we have to do is wait for the demand for unburnt timber to outweigh the demand for burnt timber and the free market will find a solution to the wildfire problem

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

you're not even 30 years old?!

Like Pepe above you, I don't understand how to use the phrase correctly and I am in my fourth decade.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

that is the question of a mind stuck in the the past

the climate adapted question is "what happens when bc doesn't stop burning?"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

MightyBigMinus posted:

Literally so rude for me to personally whine about that, in my opinion. The kids, first of all, are not my age. Second of all they and anyone my age or older is more than free to complain and whine as much as they want- that's none of my business. I literally complain all the time but what I refuse to complain about is the longevity of my life or its foreshorterning. Because I know personally way, way too many people who didn't get to grow as old as I have, and because there has seldom been people who got to grow as old as I have.

MBM I've never had anyone more dedicated to reading my posts in bad faith than you, and for that I am strangely grateful, you seething lib.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i'm gonna complain right now. this sucks actually! username/post combo

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Xaris posted:

holy hell, :rip: birbs

https://nautil.us/a-third-of-north-americas-birds-have-vanished-340007

we're at like 80%-90% of insects (lol even regular people notice the windshield splatter is basically gone) and 30% bird decline. that number is going to keep going way up.
has anyone considered that the enlightened birds/ bugs of the world may be committed to voluntary population reduction, to reduce their carbon footprints?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this weekend at the marina I was discussing some of the boats there with my uncle. there was this one yacht from chicago with a bunch of very obviously visibly-rich people on it. my uncle mentioned it burned 135 gallons of fuel a hour while operating

the whole trip cost me about 3.5 gallons of fuel, so one single hour of operation on that yacht is the equivalent of 38 weekends of me driving up to my family's cottage, around the region a bit, and then back

it wasn't even a notably big yacht, it's the kind of stuff you'd finance if you were a modest multimillionaire in your 50s and wanted to haul around your blueblood extended family. there were probably half a dozen of that class at that particular marina

reduce! reuse! recycle!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Like Pepe above you, I don't understand how to use the phrase correctly and I am in my fourth decade.

yeah but at least i knew what you meant

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah but at least i knew what you meant

They also did they just wanted to razz me, I'm sure. Fair enough [redditor voice] today i learned

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

this weekend at the marina I was discussing some of the boats there with my uncle. there was this one yacht from chicago with a bunch of very obviously visibly-rich people on it. my uncle mentioned it burned 135 gallons of fuel a hour while operating

the whole trip cost me about 3.5 gallons of fuel, so one single hour of operation on that yacht is the equivalent of 38 weekends of me driving up to my family's cottage, around the region a bit, and then back

it wasn't even a notably big yacht, it's the kind of stuff you'd finance if you were a modest multimillionaire in your 50s and wanted to haul around your blueblood extended family. there were probably half a dozen of that class at that particular marina

reduce! reuse! recycle!

wow, very interesting. my family does not own a 'cottage' that we can 'drive up to'. costs me 0 gallons of fuel. :smuggo:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We should change it so the phrase means how it sounds. Let's zero index our decades.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

We should change it so the phrase means how it sounds. Let's zero index our decades.

either we change this one and we start saying this is the 20th century or we change neither but I'm not doing this flip flop bullshit

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

fits my needs posted:

wow, very interesting. my family does not own a 'cottage' that we can 'drive up to'. costs me 0 gallons of fuel. :smuggo:

oh you have a family? Huh. interesting. I can only imagine what their carbon footprint must be. I just sit in my apartment with my computer and ferret family :smuggo:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Just a Moron posted:

it's time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

It's a doublewide on about a couple acres of land that's been in the family for a few generations now but if you really want to get into inverse privilege dickwaving we can do that.

I did some napkin math and taking that yacht up from Chicago to the port there yesterday would've ran about 1500 gallons of fuel (one way). It would take me years to burn that much fuel just from driving around. Just mindboggling how the scale of consumption shoots up onto an exponential curve like that.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

20th century sucks so far

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zodium posted:

spoeken like a true applied statistician

in other words someone with interpersonal skills

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

actionjackson posted:

i'm a biostatistician and i say who the gently caress cares

Just biostating the facts

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

either we change this one and we start saying this is the 20th century or we change neither but I'm not doing this flip flop bullshit

You can't avoid the flip flop bullshit, you fool! We arbitrarily divided some eras. The 1st century CE? That's 0-100AD. Simple. The 1st century BCE? Why, that's 100-1BCE, of course!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's a doublewide on about a couple acres of land that's been in the family for a few generations now but if you really want to get into inverse privilege dickwaving we can do that.

I did some napkin math and taking that yacht up from Chicago to the port there yesterday would've ran about 1500 gallons of fuel (one way). It would take me years to burn that much fuel just from driving around. Just mindboggling how the scale of consumption shoots up onto an exponential curve like that.

im just messing around, saw like 50 of those yachts docked in vancouver when we stopped there for a day. they seemed to be from all over the country/world.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You can't avoid the flip flop bullshit, you fool! We arbitrarily divided some eras. The 1st century CE? That's 0-100AD. Simple. The 1st century BCE? Why, that's 100-1BCE, of course!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I am a reasonable man, both will be changed

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

BCE was literally thousands of years ago, why are we even still talking about it? It's best not to dwell on such things.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fits my needs posted:

im just messing around, saw like 50 of those yachts docked in vancouver when we stopped there for a day. they seemed to be from all over the country/world.

There's about 7 million millionaires in the USA. Let's say 1 in 40 have yachts of moderate size. That's 175,000 American yachts alone, all burning 100+ gallons/hour. Lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's about 7 million millionaires in the USA. Let's say 1 in 40 have yachts of moderate size. That's 175,000 American yachts alone, all burning 100+ gallons/hour. Lol

That can't be true. If there are millions of millionaires, how come I don't personally know any billionaires? There must be billions of them for that logic to check out.

Everything is so wrong and dumb and bad.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1675749219976777728?s=20

[Banging on table] pirate future! Pirate future! Pirate future!

E: not as dumb as it sounds, of course: http://www.geotimes.org/mar08/article.html?id=nn_wind.html good stuff

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Jul 3, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

oh you have a family? Huh. interesting. I can only imagine what their carbon footprint must be. I just sit in my apartment with my computer and ferret family :smuggo:

Oh? You have your own climate controlled apartment, computer, and ferret family? I just make posts at the local library, and then return to my ceramic tub in the alley outside. :smug:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1675749219976777728?s=20

[Banging on table] pirate future! Pirate future! Pirate future!

That's not very George Jetson looking, though. Just like these *checks notes* trains? They're nothing near as cool as a convoy of AI driven personal automobiles with half a tonne of explosive metal charged up in them.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

That's not very George Jetson looking, though. Just like these *checks notes* trains? They're nothing near as cool as a convoy of AI driven personal automobiles with half a tonne of explosive metal charged up in them.

Covered

https://twitter.com/trashjuicebox/status/1675891152745054208?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

making all ships into megayachts to save the climate