Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I think that Roman turns face because they have pushed Solo as a destructive monster. But that means that they will take Solo, turn him face and then make him into a weak baby face.

Turning Roman (the head of the table, the big dog, the only one, the tribal chief, the undisputed WWE universal heavyweight champion, this is his yard, acknowledge him) into a face after years of him being top heel champion whose ego just caused a family feud would be the dumbest decision so that's the one they'll take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wish I could enjoy WWE again but it's like watching a Chris Benoit match for me. No matter what's happening I just have the thought "That monster Vince booked this" and I can't enjoy it. It sucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Triple h is booking it :confused:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wish I could enjoy WWE again but it's like watching a Chris Benoit match for me. No matter what's happening I just have the thought "That monster Vince booked this" and I can't enjoy it. It sucks.

if it makes you feel better pretty much every piece of media you consume will have a massive piece of poo poo involved in its creation

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think you just have to enjoy the matches in a bubble without thinking too hard about storyline implications in any of them. Then you can enjoy the WWE for what it is.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It'll be the most WWE thing ever if they give the Roman rub to the bland guy in the background just because they inexplicably decided in their head that he was the new The Guy after passing on white hot babyfaces like Drew in Cardiff, Sami in Montreal, KO, Cody at Mania, and Jey at Summerslam.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TV Zombie posted:

I think you just have to enjoy the matches in a bubble without thinking too hard about storyline implications in any of them. Then you can enjoy the WWE for what it is.

Or alternatively, just watch a better-booked wrestling show

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Don't sweat it, the "So you want to get into the WWE" guide is, in its entirety:

"lol cody"

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the craziest thing about the 3 years of the bloodline is that the fed finally managed to successfully transfer heat from a hot act they didn't want over (sami zayn) to the thing they have been trying to get over for years. and now we are back to roman vs jey, the third match in a series of matches where the first two sounded like the most boring fed "we tell stories" matches of all time

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My biggest issue with wwe still is the production side of things. Watching always feels like I’m watching some Nickelodeon game show. The saturation level is up so high and just even like the way they cut promos and do backstage segments. It feels like a kids show.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

though I think theyve gotten better about it, the amount of camera cuts is still enough to make me nauseous.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

My biggest issue with wwe still is the production side of things. Watching always feels like I’m watching some Nickelodeon game show. The saturation level is up so high and just even like the way they cut promos and do backstage segments. It feels like a kids show.

They are so insistent on crowd shots that it ruins it. I get cutting on occasion but they seem far more concerned with showing fans than what is actually taking place. The production feels like they are desperate to show you that people like what they are seeing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The_Rob posted:

It is a kids show

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

though I think theyve gotten better about it, the amount of camera cuts is still enough to make me nauseous.

Can’t blame the cameras for that

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Namtab posted:

Turning Roman (the head of the table, the big dog, the only one, the tribal chief, the undisputed WWE universal heavyweight champion, this is his yard, acknowledge him) into a face after years of him being top heel champion whose ego just caused a family feud would be the dumbest decision so that's the one they'll take

Honestly, if I thought they'd let Solo be his own character, I'd be completely fine with him taking out Roman. (I wish one of the hot babyfaces would have taken the title off of Roman first, but still.)

But I don't think they will. Everything about how WWE's operated for the past twenty years shows that they're just going to replace Roman with a new model of Dour Samoan and they're just going to do a slightly fresh retread of what Roman's been doing. And that's a shame, because everyone involved kinda deserves better than that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It is a kids show

Yea I know but they don’t have to make it so obvious.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Niwrad posted:

The production feels like they are desperate to show you that people like what they are seeing.

This sentence pretty much sums up WWE in a nutshell. Every single thing they do is done in service of "LOOK LOOK PEOPLE REALLY LIKE US!!!". The crowd shots, sending fake belts to sports stars, constantly BEGGING for Emmy awards, having Michael Cole cut promos every week about how many Twitter follows WWE has, etc etc etc

And it's not even like other wrestling companies don't do similar things but doing all of it combined with how over-produced WWE shows comes together to make it just off-putting. Like WWE talks about wanting to be the Marvel of Wrestling and to a degree they've succeeded because it's just the epitome of Massive Soulless Corporate Content.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

The_Rob posted:

It actually sucks really bad. I’m not even a Roman hater but this is some tubi original series level acting.

a man is in pain and you bring up tubi smh just smh

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I don't know why, but I love this whole website/article. I'd quote it but its just more magnifiecient to look at

Triple H informs fans about injury to WWE superstar at 2023 Money in the Bank premium event

(some fool rolled their ankle walking backstage, probably HHH)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nearly everything about wwe's production style makes it a chore to watch, yet somehow people still do

it's also constantly insulting the viewer's intelligence and then those same people go on the internet and defend the brand while it calls them dumb so I'm just gonna shrug and say watch whatever makes you happy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's not any of that stuff if you don't give a drat crap. super man paunch!

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I think I've convinced myself they should have Jey beat Roman at SS. They've got months more Bloodline drama they can spin out of that and whether we like it or not that's the thing that's been carrying their shows. They can even put the belt back on Roman so he can lose it to Cody at WM for real this time if they want.

Solo has played his part well but absolutely nothing about him screams next big main event star to me. He's an adequate wrestler who never talks and has an unremarkable look. All he really has going for him is being part of that family Vince loves. Both his brothers are far more talented but they're twins so they'll be stuck in a tag team together for eternity.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

The_Rob posted:

Same. It's a gross looking tv show. Even the great matches I have a hard time getting into.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
i forget when they started doing the Collapsible Timekeeper's Area Barricade spot regularly but I remember feeling like it was specifically incorporated to sell a playset.

which i guess leads me to wonder what purpose wwe would even have for a timekeeper let alone an entire timekeeper's area.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The collapsible time keeper area was part of the series between the Shield and Bryan/Kane/+1 in 2013 lol. Reigns kept spearing Kane into it until the last match where Kane dodged it and took out Reigns instead. The last decade of WWE has been built entirely around him and they've lost more viewers in that time then people who still watch but yeah Roman is a giant draw.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shouts out the like, month they had like 4 shark cage matches in a row to advertise the set.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pinche Rudo posted:

Watching the Tour de France on USA and they ran an ad for NXT Underground this week and showed clips from RAW underground, including a glimpse of the rarely seen Dabba Kato!

Dabba Kato sounds like a Star Wars EU character whose wookiepedia article is pending deletion due to notability concerns.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

WWE Worlds Heavyweight Champion The Dabba Kato!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Breetai posted:

Dabba Kato sounds like a Star Wars EU character whose wookiepedia article is pending deletion due to notability concerns.

It's somehow a worse name than Babatunde, which was already a bad name

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's somehow a worse name than Babatunde, which was already a bad name

babatunde is his actual name. it's nigerian

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Babatunde has a good ring to it. A champion ring to it, plus it chants well. i think its a Very Good name for wrestling.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Hirez posted:

quote:

But the only injury tonight was somebody on their way back from the ring after having done basically nothing

Waller, Cena, or Drew?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Mr Babatunde has a good ring to it. A champion ring to it, plus it chants well. i think its a Very Good name for wrestling.

Admittedly had no idea it was his actual name so that's me walking back my comments but I do think "Mr. Babatunde" is good and gives it the oomph that Just Babatunde doesn't really have.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think adding Mr. to the start of any guy with just one name makes it a better name by default

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i can agree to that except i dont think Mr Cesaro sounds good at all

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

i can agree to that except i dont think Mr Cesaro sounds good at all

What about Mr. Castagnoli

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

now thats got the champion ring to it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Raw Underground and Dabba Kato loving ruled. I'd watch that every week.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Alaois posted:

I think adding Mr. to the start of any guy with just one name makes it a better name by default

Mr. E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Triple h is booking it :confused:

Triple H was also made by Vince McMahon is the problem.