Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
DEXA is awesome, but most home scales are still useful directionally if you do consistent conditions (like first thing after waking, before hydration) or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
decided to give the barbell medicine powerbuilding template a try and despite the first week being labeled "low stress", day 1 crushed my legs (in my defense i'm coming into this after 2 weeks of no lifting, so i was expecting to feel a little rough). this looks like it'll be a fun program. from what i can tell, the rough idea is to focus strength on the big 3 lifts, then a bunch of volume on a mix of variations of those movements (e.g. RDL or incline bench) plus a different isolation exercise each day. it also incorporates myo-reps which i had never heard of but they sound cool :shrug:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Hed posted:

Picked back up in Greyskull LP after coming over from a more dumbbell-centric program. It's been great. It's crazy how tired I am at the end of the day after doing the heavier compound lifts compared to a bunch of dumbbell work.

that amrap set is the light and the way

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

c yosfit s: cleaned out the office so I can get back to kettlebelling myself to death

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

double 40kg workouts by the end of the year!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

god drat what does that routine look like, thats a lotta weight

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 4, 2023

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

post hole digger posted:

god drat what does that routine look like, thats a lotta weight

the game plan is make the 32s feel light (10+ rep max in the press. im at maybe 7 reps on a good day but I haven't been hitting it hard so hopefully gains to come)

then start pressing and squatting the 36s a lot and maybe push press with slow negatives with the 40s

then hope for the best lol

e: weekly thing is like 2 days of double kb clean/press/squat stuff, a few days of swings and getups, and work in some barbell bench, deadlifts, and variations. probably need to be near a 500 deadlift to reliably clean the double 40s

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 4, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HamAdams posted:

decided to give the barbell medicine powerbuilding template a try and despite the first week being labeled "low stress", day 1 crushed my legs (in my defense i'm coming into this after 2 weeks of no lifting, so i was expecting to feel a little rough). this looks like it'll be a fun program. from what i can tell, the rough idea is to focus strength on the big 3 lifts, then a bunch of volume on a mix of variations of those movements (e.g. RDL or incline bench) plus a different isolation exercise each day. it also incorporates myo-reps which i had never heard of but they sound cool :shrug:

I am doing the sbs hypertrophy program and my mondays are deadlifts, squats, and incline presses and the first 2 absolutely destroy me.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

skimothy milkerson posted:

the game plan is make the 32s feel light (10+ rep max in the press. im at maybe 7 reps on a good day but I haven't been hitting it hard so hopefully gains to come)

then start pressing and squatting the 36s a lot and maybe push press with slow negatives with the 40s

then hope for the best lol

e: weekly thing is like 2 days of double kb clean/press/squat stuff, a few days of swings and getups, and work in some barbell bench, deadlifts, and variations. probably need to be near a 500 deadlift to reliably clean the double 40s

I hit 7 reps on a poo poo day lets gooo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

on the one hand, i was disappointed this morning when i drank a bunch of water and then weighed myself, because i was a bit heavier than the last time i weighed. not by much, but number went wrong direction

on the other hand i had to just order some new swim trunks and shorts because while my current pair will be fine for the beach today, i don't like having to put this much effort into keeping my pants on

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

number go up

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

fart simpson posted:

number go up

same but it's my weight, despite tracking my macros and calories for the last week and a half now :smith:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

same but it's my weight, despite tracking my macros and calories for the last week and a half now :smith:

weight loss happens over months

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have been relatively consistent with my 5x5 workouts the past couple weeks, except for a couple days around my birthday. I find it's much easier to do my workouts at lunch when I am WFH. My biggest problem continues to be not eating a ton of snacks at night :sigh: i fuckin love salty carbs

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah like not saying to not quantify it, but all this stuff is long term and its better to maybe do like a 6 month checkin after doing stuff consistently for those 6 months

the habit and consistency is more important than the numbers

it might be hard to reframe it in that way, but think about increasing the number of consecutive sessions or reducing overall caloric load via macros instead or like lift/distance/time maxes instead of weight

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 10, 2023

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i did more squats two days after doing squats. consistency! number went up (almost back to my norm)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strength training will make you want to eat more and most lifting programs are designed for people looking for maximum muscle growth which means tons of food. it's extremely difficult to do whole body lifting and lose weight at the same time unless you're pretty much perfect with your nutrition [ie actors who have 6 months to get in shape for a superhero role] [also they do tons of roids/hgh]

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

one of my buds did it step by step: first they dieted and cardio'd real hard to lose a bunch of weight, then when they hit their ideal weight to start from, they began the strength training

everyones health goals are different and i def know and understand that weight is a powerful motivating number, but it's not the only way to look at it and there are ways which are also helpful and motivating

edit: spelling, active tense

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

calorie counting is such a nightmare to me god bless anyone who can it for longer than a couple of weeks.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I did keto for a few months once and it absolutely worked for quick and probably unhealthy weight loss but I love carbs and especially booze way too much.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

akadajet posted:

weight loss happens over months

oh believe me, I know this logically; I wonder if the noise from daily weigh-ins has a bunch of negative unintended consequences

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dijkstracula posted:

oh believe me, I know this logically; I wonder if the noise from daily weigh-ins has a bunch of negative unintended consequences

there’s some ancient internet nerd workout poo poo that makes this point, ‘trendlines in excel’ is their remedy iirc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

update: i weighed myself this morning without drinking a bunch of water, and i guess that i drank more water yesterday than i thought. cause number went down.

i know that i have to be losing _so much_ muscle, though, 'cause i aint workin out at all. i have vague plans to do that once i'm at my target weight but at this stage i'm not gonna commit to anything publicly, because while i absolutely love working out with a workout buddy, doing it alone has been successful for me precisely one time. and that was when fitocracy was new and i was gamifying things, and also i was writing a dissertation and "do some dumbbell/bodyweight work" was a great way to take a little break from thinking. i will note that the results weren't near as good as when i was doing barbell work, though.

anyway, we'll see how it goes - i've still got 20lbs to go before i hit my target

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

always gotta weigh yourself before and after a big sweat and any bowel movement to see the diff

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i've been weighing on the same day every week, and trying to do it in the morning. i think the recommendation is like 1-2lbs a week, so that's easily overwhelmed by daily noise.

post hole digger posted:

calorie counting is such a nightmare to me god bless anyone who can it for longer than a couple of weeks.

the app on my phone that can scan barcodes plus a scale made it way easier for me. i'm just weighing everything, then scanning the foods and it's super quick. then i make sure i have room for some snacks at night so i still feel somewhat indulgent.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Eeyo posted:

the app on my phone that can scan barcodes plus a scale made it way easier for me. i'm just weighing everything, then scanning the foods and it's super quick. then i make sure i have room for some snacks at night so i still feel somewhat indulgent.

yeah but what do you do for home made meals? like for example i ate black chick peas + some indian bread for lunch today, how many calories is that? i think its around 500 but it could be more or less since i just guesstimated a serving

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

simply put every item you just ate into a recipe on the app, get a total for everything combined, and then weigh your portion on a kitchen scale to see what your portion is. repeat this every time you cook anything new. easy, :shepicide:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im just going to become a fat goon powerlifter guy with hunched shoulders and the most insane anterior pelvic tilt you have ever seen in your life. at least i can eat what i want then

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

anecdotally I think you can get away with losing weight fairly rapidly without shedding much muscle at all (as long as you're lifting and eating some protein) until you're getting in to skinnyfat land from fat fat land. people drop a ton of weight and git bigger all the time its fine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
triyng to be the type of jacked where you can't touch your back

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

triyng to be the type of jacked where you can't touch your back

being a computer toucher

because you'll be pretty "jacked" up!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

(as long as you're lifting

yeah about that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when you're making food you weigh the food. it's not hard. you don't eat "some chickpeas" you weigh out how much it is. if you're cooking for one you only need to mess with recipes for stuff you cook all the time

if that's too much effort then ok but it's really not time consuming. it's more annoying when you're cooking for others or multiple meals and portioning part of that - that's when you probably wanna start messing with recipes. "150g chicken, 100g tomato, 100g potato, 1tbsp oil" isn't too hard to do

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i often do that, just log the ingredients separately. i often don’t log some of it, like if there’s a bit of tomato sauce i might skip it since it’s usually pretty light. at least for my cooking it’s good enough to log the fats, starches, and proteins since they’ll dominate the calories anyway. then just play it fast and loose with veggies, it’s rarely that much so if you’re within 50% it’s fine.

i’ve been using myfitnesspal and yeah the recipe functionality is not great. it’s a worse version of the main tracking part and is really slow. i’ve even broken it by going back and editing recipes, so i’ve had to re-make them which is even more annoying. i tend to just wing it when i cook, i’d love something with like templates or more easily edited foods.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

anecdotally I think you can get away with losing weight fairly rapidly without shedding much muscle at all (as long as you're lifting and eating some protein) until you're getting in to skinnyfat land from fat fat land. people drop a ton of weight and git bigger all the time its fine

Yeah it's extremely, overwhelmingly difficult to gain muscle while losing fat. Basically, your body doesn't want too add extra muscle tissue when it is having to dip into its energy reserves. That doesn't mean that you can't maintain your current muscle mass while losing weight, or at least lose a significantly smaller amount of that muscle mass compared to fat mass. It's just about making sure you keep training.

Like, here are my body comp measurements for the year (these are monthly averages of daily measurements, which were done at the same time and in same conditions each day). I started Wegovy (and thus, started losing significant amounts of weight) at the beginning of February. You can see how both fat and muscle have dropped, but fat has dropped much faster.

Also, because of this goddamned Wegovy shortage it's been 3 weeks since my last dose. As a result I'm gaining a little bit of weight back, but so far all of those gains seem to be in muscle (while the fat levels are staying steady).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the real problem with calorie counting is restaurant food/takeout. i pretty much have to avoid it outside of a cheat meal every week. you just have no idea how they prepared the food and what's in it so there's no way to accurately track it. unless you get a big chain where they give nutrition info. but like the thai takeout place down the road is just a black box and i don't even try.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah it's extremely, overwhelmingly difficult to gain muscle while losing fat. Basically, your body doesn't want too add extra muscle tissue when it is having to dip into its energy reserves. That doesn't mean that you can't maintain your current muscle mass while losing weight, or at least lose a significantly smaller amount of that muscle mass compared to fat mass. It's just about making sure you keep training.

Like, here are my body comp measurements for the year (these are monthly averages of daily measurements, which were done at the same time and in same conditions each day). I started Wegovy (and thus, started losing significant amounts of weight) at the beginning of February. You can see how both fat and muscle have dropped, but fat has dropped much faster.

Also, because of this goddamned Wegovy shortage it's been 3 weeks since my last dose. As a result I'm gaining a little bit of weight back, but so far all of those gains seem to be in muscle (while the fat levels are staying steady).

i'm glad your bone mass isn't falling

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Eeyo posted:

the real problem with calorie counting is restaurant food/takeout. i pretty much have to avoid it outside of a cheat meal every week. you just have no idea how they prepared the food and what's in it so there's no way to accurately track it. unless you get a big chain where they give nutrition info. but like the thai takeout place down the road is just a black box and i don't even try.

i just automatically assume a takeout meal is about 2 meals worth, so i skip a meal or eat lightly

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i just automatically assume a takeout meal is about 2 meals worth, so i skip a meal or eat lightly

When I log a takeout meal from a place that's too small to have the ACA-required calorie info, I'll usually just find something that is roughly equivalent from a similar place that does have calorie info available. It's not perfect, but then again calorie labels themselves can vary up to 20% so you just have to accept some imprecision.

Eeyo posted:

i'm glad your bone mass isn't falling

The advantages of never developing bone-itis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
anything you're gonna eat is about 100 calories an ounce. this is not so accurate if you have like, an ounce of raw cabbage, or an ounce of butter. but your finished product is gonna be close enough that you can avoid detailed ingredient tracking and still get the key benefits of calorie counting, which come mainly from general awareness of what you're putting in your face