Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kang, so far, is infinitely beatable and is an infinite chump.

Nobody has a reason to fear the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Jedit posted:

He's intimidating because no matter how many times you thwart him or even kill him, you haven't stopped him.
it does put a chill in my spine thinking that we'll be watching hero after hero tackle this multiversal malefactor for decades to come

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rappaport posted:

Ohh, I see. I'm sorry, I misread you, my bad :( Yeah, it is a dream job, just not what Jen originally wanted. The show's thematic just revolves around Jen having different dreams, or having to accept new ones, like being a super-hero (Bruce's big speech in the first episode) and all the silliness that comes with it.

No problem at all, we're just talking about comic book movies/shows!

Everyone posted:

It really wasn't. The problem Eternals had was that it was simultaneously too short and too long. You had a 2.5+ hour movie about these new but really old super-duper powered beings (who couldn't be arsed to do a single loving thing when Thanos rolled up to wreck the planet/galaxy/universe). But then you also had a little over 2.5 hours to do 10-12 origin stories spanning thousands of years of human history and tell a story of poo poo that's relevant to "right now" in the MCU involving these people. The thing probably should have been a 12 hour series with each hour introducing a different Eternal and then hours 11-12 cover the main conflict among them.

I mean, I have specific gripes:

- Sersi's actress, Gemma Chan, was wooden as hell, and everything she did on screen was terrible. Most of the cast came off as pretty awful, but then, I realize they're working with green screens, so I get that they're set up to fail. Nanjiani was really amusing. Kit Harrington's Black Knight is interesting, but Harrington had like 2 minutes of screen time.
- The only Eternal's character (character (e.g., a personality) being different than powerset) I found even mildly intriguing was Gilgamesh, so, naturally- yeah.
- A lot of the CGI was pretty bad, especially for the deviants; the deviants were generic, pointless, and added absolutely zero tension to any scene they were in.
- There was no time for the audience to have a reason to give a poo poo, which is a perfectly valid criticism - if your movie has too many moving pieces to do a story justice, then your movie doesn't really work.
- The climax has zero tension, because you know this movie isn't going to upset the status quo, and we also have no reason to be upset if someone we like dies, because we don't actually like any of these characters.

I could go on, but it really should have been a miniseries. A well written series that develops each Eternal over an episode or two that weaves in heroes we know would've turned out significantly better than the mess we got. An hourlong episode about Kingo's ruse would be interesting, especially if you show some crossover with the other MCU folks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I legitimately do not remember a single thing about Eternals, other than I didn't enjoy it

Could not name a single plot beat, barely remember the end tag with Black Knight and Blade

But nothing actually within the movie

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sockser posted:

I legitimately do not remember a single thing about Eternals, other than I didn't enjoy it

Could not name a single plot beat, barely remember the end tag with Black Knight and Blade

But nothing actually within the movie

The thing with Black Knight and Blade is the best part of the movie, and that's not saying much.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

At some point, they're going to have to acknowledge the giant stone alien sticking out of the ocean.

"It's an island in the middle of the ocean. We handle it by not handling it," said somebody from Wakanda, probably.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red posted:

Most of the cast came off as pretty awful, but then, I realize they're working with green screens, so I get that they're set up to fail.

Zhao shot the majority of the movie on location. So there might've been some digital enhancements, but it wasn't the typical Marvel shot in a parking lot in Atlanta with big blue sheets everywhere

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the deviants are easily the worst of an already very mcu homework movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Eternals also had an overly ambitious ending, splitting them up and introducing Harry Styles. Just assumed people would care.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the deviants are easily the worst of an already very mcu homework movie
Everything with them in the movie was pointless

Why wouldn’t they ally with the Eternals who want to save Earth from the Celestials? No, instead we get a dumb fight in a dark cave

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Parkingtigers posted:

Calling it now, Echo will be a show that gets middling to low reviews and I will somehow adore it and will be starting forums drama with people who think is sucks.

I really like Eternals, which improves massively on a second viewing (as all long and slow films do) where the pacing comes across as just right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

Kang, so far, is infinitely beatable and is an infinite chump.

Nobody has a reason to fear the character.

Before Infinity War Thanos was a giant loser who sat around doing nothing while his underlings betrayed him and lost Infinity stones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Before Infinity War Thanos was a giant loser who sat around doing nothing while his underlings betrayed him and lost Infinity stones.

True. Thanos was a big ol’ chump at first.

But he also didn’t get killed in every single appearance leading to Infinity War.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The one person we see openly defying Thanos before Infinity War received nothing but threats that didn't matter, even.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with them in the movie was pointless

Why wouldn’t they ally with the Eternals who want to save Earth from the Celestials? No, instead we get a dumb fight in a dark cave

And in the comics, aren't Deviants like...more sentient? I think Thanos is actually a Deviant? But the movie reduced them to "weird monsters that look like they're made of ropes"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes they are sentient in the comics

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

And in the comics, aren't Deviants like...more sentient? I think Thanos is actually a Deviant? But the movie reduced them to "weird monsters that look like they're made of ropes"

Some are just crazy alien guys who generally become warlords or whatever in space.

Some are monsters (the Mole Man's Giganto, for example) who just kind of end up somewhere.

Skrulls are technically deviants, too.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Secret invasion spoilers:

Why should we take this skull revolution seriously? Why wouldn't they just live openly on earth? There is a colony from Thor just living already with humans, and some of them shapeshift as seen in she hulk.

So who cares if the skrulls want to live at Chernobyl? Just let them, seems like a win win for everyone.

Only seen half of the first episode so maybe this is already answered ahead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tragicomic posted:

Why should we take this skull revolution seriously? Why wouldn't they just live openly on earth? There is a colony from Thor just living already with humans, and some of them shapeshift as seen in she hulk.

So who cares if the skrulls want to live at Chernobyl? Just let them, seems like a win win for everyone.

They haven’t really given a good explanation for this

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

FlamingLiberal posted:

They haven’t really given a good explanation for this

That's okay, I'll just keep cursing at the screen as I keep watching then

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

live with fruit posted:

Eternals also had an overly ambitious ending, splitting them up and introducing Harry Styles. Just assumed people would care.
The Mummy with Tom Cruise is my favourite example of this. A resurrected and superpowered Tom sets off on a new life of adventure. But no one gives a gently caress!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tragicomic posted:

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think that a bunch of green aliens with pointy ears would have a different experience than beautiful humanoid Asgardians. And do they want to live at Chernobyl or is that the only place that they can have their own space?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think that a bunch of green aliens with pointy ears would have a different experience than beautiful humanoid Asgardians. And do they want to live at Chernobyl or is that the only place that they can have their own space?

They aren't affected by radiation, so it's a safe space for them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In the second episode Talos says he invited all Skrull refugees to Earth, with about a million on their way.

Asgardians were also a known commodity with Thor as their representative, a guy who literally saved Earth a number of times. They also showed up after half the population of Earth disappeared, so there was probably room and a need as a stabilizing force. On top of all that they sent an army to fight Thanos and bring everyone back.

Compare that to the Skrulls who have secretly been around for a while and still aren't a known to the rest of the world at large and oh yeah can change appearence to look like anyone.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

swickles posted:

Asgardians were also a known commodity with Thor as their representative, a guy who literally saved Earth a number of times. They also showed up after half the population of Earth disappeared, so there was probably room and a need as a stabilizing force. On top of all that they sent an army to fight Thanos and bring everyone back.

They also protected an infinity stone for Odin at the site of New Asgard for centuries.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
I don't know, it just feels weird. Talos says that at 164 he's not even middle aged, so why would a 30 year wait as refugees seem like such an imposition? And Earth needing super strong labor during the snap would've brought infinite employment opportunities for the skrulls during the blip

Tragicomic fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 3, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think not explaining why characters wouldn't be happy doing hard labor and living in wastelands is a failing of the show's.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

live with fruit posted:

I don't think not explaining why characters wouldn't be happy doing hard labor and living in wastelands is a failing of the show's.

Nicely put :)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Surely, if (Ep 2 spoilers) You run the UK, NATO and other parts of the world you can find a tropical island to keep your people happy on instead of hiding on Chernobyl. The whole "nuke everything" plan makes no sense with the grand council on board

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Not So Fast posted:

Surely, if (Ep 2 spoilers) You run the UK, NATO and other parts of the world you can find a tropical island to keep your people happy on instead of hiding on Chernobyl. The whole "nuke everything" plan makes no sense with the grand council on board

It's a million Skrulls and I don't think there's an island that big that's not already populated... wait. Time to hollow out a Celestial head and hand.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Maybe I've missed it, but have they explained what exactly the Skrulls have done for Fury/humanity in exchange for their home? I know we've seen a few scenes here and there of Talos and a few other Skrulls working for Sword or some other government organizations in vague ways, showing up and saying things. But it seems a bit hazy beyond that. Just as hazy as what Fury has done to find a home for the Skrulls.

I'm not saying they don't deserve their home or anything, but both sides of the argument seem poorly displayed on the show so far. "We've done <insert here> for you, and all you've done for us is <insert here>!" And as the crux of the show, I think that's kind of a problem.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

Teek posted:

It's a million Skrulls and I don't think there's an island that big that's not already populated... wait. Time to hollow out a Celestial head and hand.

This would solve the complaints that marvel isn't doing anything with the celestial skull. And they could try to set up an X-Men kratoa thing

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm sure they will show how these immigrant refugees are evil in some way and don't deserve to live on earth lol

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Ok, so I just looked it up ... The US resettled 120,000 South Vietnamese refugees after the war, and back then earth population was way less.

Fury should've just openly integrated the skrulls as part of the avengers project. This whole thing stinks of his own personal fuckup

Should've been like, yeah Loki is an alien invader, but we've got these good aliens who are gonna help us out

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
People freak the gently caress out everywhere about Earth immigrants. You think aliens are going to be okay? lol "Illegal Aliens" writes itself.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm sure they will show how these immigrant refugees are evil in some way and don't deserve to live on earth lol

There was that scene with the Council and Gravik where the one councilor who didn't concede to Gravik's coronation said something to the effect that it was the Skrulls who started the Kree-Skrull war. Whether the show will go in the direction of indicting all Skrulls as inherently warlike or veer towards Gravik trying to satisfy a personal vendetta against his absent step-father, we'll see.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Teek posted:

People freak the gently caress out everywhere about Earth immigrants. You think aliens are going to be okay? lol "Illegal Aliens" writes itself.

The Skrulls were fine until they learned that Donald Trump's Life Model Decoy would be seeking the Presidency in 2028 so they decided "gently caress it, let's just kill them all."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Teek posted:

Even in universe, Falcon/Winter Soldier was about immigrants getting kicked out after Hulk's snap.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

JazzFlight posted:

Ooof, this show is just dire.
These writers are plain incompetent and the whole series seems to be a conservative's wet dream / a huge step back from Captain Marvel's portrayal of the Skrull.
Still leaning into the untrustworthy refugee angle and then we have a scene where I guess the viewer is supposed to laugh at Rhodes being annoyed by the other countries asking him legitimate questions about the bombing while he lies and cracks jokes about bombing them. The writers are trying really hard to connect something about Nick Fury (and Rhodes') blackness to the story because they kept awkwardly slipping references to it into the dialogue. I just don't think it's handled well. Kind of an unfocused mess IMO.

The crux of the conflict being the Skrull feeling betrayed by Nick Fury's absence seems like a poorly brainstormed idea that came up in an executive's meeting when they realized they've done jack poo poo with the character despite featuring him in cameos and post-credits scenes. Like there was a whiteboard in the room with everything they've established about him in the MCU and then someone going "hey, what if the villain gets pissed about Nick Fury not doing anything interesting?"

Well, I'm late, but yeah after finishing episode 2 I'm tying this show to the reported decline in marvel quality.

The whole 'rescue the information just to shoot him scene' was literally a waste of air time. The whole tone that Rhodes took was completely unrealistic after a 9/11 level attack (poo poo, even the Taliban was nicer in the immediate aftermath). The writers are the c team on this one? It just feels like a slog.

Hopefully it'll tie into the next Capt America somehow. Rhodes speech to Fury was the only good part. Fury definitely deserved to be fired and Rhodes shot down any manipulation Fury tried.

Edit: outed as a racist

Tragicomic fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sam Wilson is captain America, not Rhodey, who is war Machine. The skull hostage was only executed when it became clear that he sold them out when the others saw the safe house was compromised.