Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
the big advantage of kites over sails is that you wouldn't need to have masts on the ship

still a dumb loving idea though, for a hundred different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Going back to sail cargo ship to move the few goods that really have any need to cross the ocean seems reasonable tbh.

idk maybe im loving stupid but I dont think we really need to be moving as much garbage back and forth as we do.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe we should put sails on cars

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's about 7 million millionaires in the USA. Let's say 1 in 40 have yachts of moderate size. That's 175,000 American yachts alone, all burning 100+ gallons/hour. Lol

ah but like guns, your population based estimates will be off because people can have more than one yacht!

quote:

https://www.yatco.com/how-many-yachts-are-there-in-the-world/

In 2016, it was estimated that there were about 10,000 luxury yachts 79 feet in length in the world – 20 percent of them were sailing yachts. Another number that surfaces regularly is 8,651. In-depth research results in a more likely approximation of 5,000+ luxury yachts cruising our waters today.
In 2020, there were approximately 11.84 million registered recreational vessels in the United States.

About 95 percent are small, towable boats under 26 feet, which means there are about 592,000 yachts in the United States.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Conscientious individual looking sadly at a partially-rotten bell pepper, considering the wasted effort and fuel going into growing and transporting this food, before placing it into the compost bin, while there are 592,000 yachts vrooming around this summer burning 100 to 250 gallons (or more) of gasoline fuel per hour

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

maybe we should put sails on bullets

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
sails are a great idea and there’s definitely nothing going wrong with the AMOC and stable trade winds lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ASeTHdlxn4

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Stereotype posted:

has anyone considered the noble horse instead

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

cash crab posted:

despite what the name waterpolo implies, i dont think horses are good at swimming

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

celadon posted:

despite what the name waterpolo implies, i dont think horses are good at swimming

well why is there seahorses then

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

celadon posted:

Arguably this makes coal more economical by allowing its co2 output to be sold lol

jevons paradox strikes again

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

cash crab posted:

well why is there seahorses then

im somewhat convinced that theres a whole paraphyletic set of animals that were made by various fallen angels rather than god, seahorses/seadragons being part of that group

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cash crab posted:

horse with sails

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
*thinking really hard*

what if I chain up some slaves in my car and have them push the car along with oars that they stick out of the window

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You can't avoid the flip flop bullshit, you fool! We arbitrarily divided some eras. The 1st century CE? That's 0-100AD. Simple. The 1st century BCE? Why, that's 100-1BCE, of course!

We avoid this by going the mathematics route. The year 0 is neither CE nor BCE. It is 0 NCENBCE.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
another reminder for everyone who hasn't :justpost:ed in this yet

Microplastics posted:

Hello, can I interest you in a survey?

About 18 months ago I did a "how doomer are you" thread census with some interesting results, and I reckon it's about time for another one - so here it is!

So far I've got half as many responses as last time. C'mon people the sea is on fire <:mad:>

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

another reminder for everyone who hasn't :justpost:ed in this yet

So far I've got half as many responses as last time. C'mon people the sea is on fire <:mad:>

Microplastics posted:

Good. I'm against growth

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Just watched Lex Fridman, was blown away by his charisma, intellect, and vast knowledge on this topic. He said climate change will easily be conquered with human spirit and compassion, that we will continue making the world a better place and that we shall venture out and voyage the stars and expand our civilization for millions of years. What a charming and handsome young man. You guys should watch him and learn a thing or two

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WaPo has a good article on the insane decline in firefly populations across the world:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2023/firefly-summer-extinction/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Soggy Muffin posted:

Just watched Lex Fridman, was blown away by his charisma, intellect, and vast knowledge on this topic. He said climate change will easily be conquered with human spirit and compassion, that we will continue making the world a better place and that we shall venture out and voyage the stars and expand our civilization for millions of years. What a charming and handsome young man. You guys should watch him and learn a thing or two

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

joe biden looking great

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

You're lying because you didn't say AI even once in this. The real Lex would explain how a vague synthetic intelligence would save us all through the power of technology.

For your sins, Roko's Basilisk is coming to haunt you into being sectioned. Deus vult!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

joe biden looking great

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Soggy Muffin posted:

He should guest on Joe Rogan

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fosborb posted:

like, 500 year flood have a 0.2% chance of flooding on a given year. the 1 in 3 billion flood plane is... Pangaea, i guess?

the six standard deviations itself seems like an arbitrary threshold, and all that comes to mind is SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT

i think this may have to do with the three-sigma rule, whereby nearly all (99.7%) of observations in normal will fall within three standard deviations of the mean. so 6 siggies is even nearlier all

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

you can even go faster than the wind!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/848oTyWj03s

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe we should put sails on the forums???

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

where are we sailing

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

where are we sailing

Let's find one of those bars you can pull your boat up to

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

we're going to go get in the way of those oceancleanup plastic harvesting ships like greenpeace loving with whalers

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
okay, who told the billionaires that their reward in heaven for omnicide would be 27 new territories to ravage? :mad:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNKW_w95lA An interesting video on how compatible sails are with modern freight shipping. tl;dr they work and can save 5-10% of fuel costs, but deck space is at a super premium and retrofit costs would fall on the ship's owner, not the people who charter the vessel. so, uptake's limited, because everyone just charters the ships that didn't install a big rotor or fin or whatever on their deck. Some of the tech he talks about we've had for literally 100 years already!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You fuckos didn't read the article i posted. The kite style sails can fit into a telephone booth sized area! They're going to revolutionize modern shipping! (You still need fuel but somewhat less, slightly!)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You fuckos didn't read the article i posted. The kite style sails can fit into a telephone booth sized area! They're going to revolutionize modern shipping! (You still need fuel but somewhat less, slightly!)

👏 use 👏 ponies

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I didn’t read the article. My favorite part was where they acknowledged that jevon’s paradox in this case would mean that ships just go faster instead of using less fuel. iirc, tankers could save a huge amount of fuel if they/ their customers were willing to reduce their speeds even slightly.

fakeedit: “did” autocorrected to “didn’t,” lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Let's find one of those bars you can pull your boat up to

look out for that sandbar!!!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Wow, you loving idiot doomers. You can't even read articles, can you?

Here's another inspirational article for you to skim over: 'Wind Challenger': World's first partially wind-powered cargo ship successfully sailed - It is the first coal carrier to be powered by hard sail wind power propulsion technology (October 28, 2022)

The company behind this idea has even predicted that this innovative new approach will help ships consume 5 percent less fuel (!) traveling between Australia and Japan with its full loads of coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

We're saved!