Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You can knock out enough cinders to open two of the mystery chests in like 15 minutes and get ~8 legendaries which is pretty solid if you’re still looking for any aspects or ancestral gear upgrades. NM dungeons are still probably an overall better use of your time with the new xp rewards and glyph experience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Huh, maybe I should try doing some again. I think I only popped one mysterious chest, didn't get anything very good, and gave up on them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, helltides felt particularly useless to me, I'm not sure what the appeal is of doing them over a nightmare dungeon

Helltides are useful for the mats and to level up gear after entering a new world tier. That's pretty much it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You also get a lot of obols from farming events
Mystery chests also drop a bunch of elixirs and some are drop only

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Helltides would be a lot cooler if they dynamically changed the map rather than just having a bunch of mobs hang out in their little isolated zone. Like, have them launch a siege of a town or stronghold or something and have the PCs beat them back

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Helltides would be a lot cooler if they dynamically changed the map rather than just having a bunch of mobs hang out in their little isolated zone. Like, have them launch a siege of a town or stronghold or something and have the PCs beat them back

It'd really lean into the name. I want my Helltide to have Hellwaves, not Helltrickles. Thick packs of roaming mobs that actively want to do me harm. So much harm.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I run from event to event in helltides, only stopping for legitimate elite packs (none of those silly buff their allies groups), and when it rains. Oftentimes a mini boss will spawn when it rains. It's good XP since they're your level +2

Easily getting enough cinders for all the mystery chests, even the helltides with three zones.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The souls are the most important helltide loot.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Helltides feel like one of those things that will get a lot better whenever WT5 gets put in the game. As it is, you hit like 75-80 and all the danger of dying and losing your shards is gone.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The most dangerous thing in helltides are the falling meteors. If you’re distracted at all they will kill you quick.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Does anyone else hear "YOU THERE, HELP US GET OUT OF HERE" and immediately turn around and leave when in a NM dungeon?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Ice Fist posted:

Does anyone else hear "YOU THERE, HELP US GET OUT OF HERE" and immediately turn around and leave when in a NM dungeon?

Yes. The events really need a retooling. Like they should start the instant you get within X meters of the speaker who just yells their lines as the fights start. They could also be rebalanced so those 3 adventurers don't explode with no counterplay or the loot is slightly nicer, like at least add obols to that drat limp chest.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Doomykins posted:

Yes. The events really need a retooling. Like they should start the instant you get within X meters of the speaker who just yells their lines as the fights start. They could also be rebalanced so those 3 adventurers don't explode with no counterplay or the loot is slightly nicer, like at least add obols to that drat limp chest.

That event in particular I'm pretty sure is almost impossible. They like forgot to add scaling to their health or something so for me they just instantly die if they're sneezed on.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I won’t rest until Whimsytides are a thing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Helltides are not very fun, I would rather grind NM dungeons. They are nice to double up with quests or other regional exploring though to double dip for things you would already be doing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
15 minutes for a dozen legendaries and some crafting mats seems fine to me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think Helltides are cool and good for what they seem like they’re intended for. The problem is that’s like 2 hours of game maybe.

I haven’t needed to farm souls since I haven’t touched my gear much in like 20 levels.

I’m thinking about changing my build to flurry/rapid fire but ugh. Too much effort.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 3, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm at level 41 or so and I'm still trying to get a sense of when to sell gear vs when to salvage it. Especially now things like aspects are becoming more relevant, and all that is getting a lot more expensive. How much money should I have in the bank? I'm kind of bouncing between 100k-200k gold.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah. Don't go hanging out in nightmare dungeons, dumbasses. The last guy who yelled for help was a demon faking it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've only done a helltide farm a few times but one of the times I kept running into free helltide motes from someone else's battles. They were seriously all over the zone and I never saw this presumed person, but I had to have picked up at least 200-250 free motes from just riding around on my horse.

My friend told a similar experience in a PVP zone he was running through. He says he was just able to pick up a bunch of currency "that must have been left behind from a battle" and turn it in for a mount or something. I don't have any frame of reference for that as I haven't touched or read about PVP yet.

I just started running WT4 dungeons, they must pull from a different pool of dungeons than the WT3 ones? Or a larger one? I'm definitely seeing a bunch of sigils for dungeons that weren't available in WT3.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 3, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I'm at level 41 or so and I'm still trying to get a sense of when to sell gear vs when to salvage it. Especially now things like aspects are becoming more relevant, and all that is getting a lot more expensive. How much money should I have in the bank? I'm kind of bouncing between 100k-200k gold.

If you plan on playing past level 55 (like into the "repetitive endgame") or so just salvage almost everything until you're 50

The sell value of drops scale up quickly but you're not going to need much until you're rerolling on a perfect or near perfect item

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

American McGay posted:

15 minutes for a dozen legendaries and some crafting mats seems fine to me.

Yeah it's a pretty insignificant amount of time for a chance to get upgrades. And it's fun just running around mindlessly stomping a bunch of stuff for a bit

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Helltides getting a density boost would make them more fun. A lot of moving around looking for good groups. This goes for NM dungeons too.

Or quicker cycling events so you can chain them easier.

They're still a nice diversion from chain running NM dungeons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There should be a helltide chest that costs 2k cinders and is a single guaranteed unique.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Gwaihir posted:

This is not true.

Upgrading over 815 gets you the highest level of possible affixes.

im not really 100% sure this is how it works. i have items that ive upgraded to about 800-805 that have the final range of affixes, and then items that are 805 base that do not

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

This is not true.

Upgrading over 815 gets you the highest level of possible affixes.

Upgrade the 771 to 771+15 and then compare it to your 802+15.

The affixes on an item have a base range that depends on its final item power after taking into account upgrades. Each time you upgrade an item (e.g. from 0/5 to 1/5, 1/5 to 2/5, etc.), the possible range as well as its current roll gets increased by 15% of the base. When you upgrade an item, if the item power increases to the breakpoint of a new tier, the highest of which is 725, the base range for the affixes will become higher, the roll will reroll within that new range, and then the range and the current roll get increased by 15% of the base per upgrade level as above. That is, all of the following item powers will have the same possible ranges for their affixes, because their final item power ends up at 725+, and they all have been upgraded 3/5 times:

710+15
771+15
802+15
820+15

However, a 709+15 item will have a lower possible range for its affixes, because it doesn't get pushed past the breakpoint of 725. If you were to upgrade that item to 709+20, the base possible ranges would be higher than any of the above items, because it's now in the 725+ tier, and it has been upgraded one more time than the others.

Percentage-based rolls follow the rules above. Flat rolls continue to increase as the item power goes up. Compare the Life on Kill vs the Cooldown Reduction ranges on the helms below that demonstrate all of this:

The CDR range on the 703+25 is higher than the range on the 791+20, because they are both in the 725+ tier, but the legendary helm has been upgraded 5 times whereas the rare has been upgraded 4 times. When you do the final upgrade on the rare to 791+25, they become equal.

The Life on Kill range just keeps going up with item power and upgrade level.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 3, 2023

How!
Oct 29, 2009

They should make cinders automatically get picked up. It sucks having to walk around like a flaming toddler at a piñata massacre when I just wanna go flame another bunch of piñatas.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

The Grumbles posted:

Sell everything once you get to WT3. Salvage everything prior to that unless you need the cash. Don't harvest aspects unless you are going to use them immediately, or are using them in your build and don't have a spare. Money is 100000% the bottleneck later on.

Verviticus posted:

im not really 100% sure this is how it works. i have items that ive upgraded to about 800-805 that have the final range of affixes, and then items that are 805 base that do not

Your post is right the guy who replied to you is wrong. 725 is the last breakpoint, but upgrading items changes the affix range for everything. The left item is in the 725 bucket, the right item is also in the 725 bucket but with 3 upgrades. It isn't the same thing as item breakpoints.

There are some affixes that scale purely off the item level - the top of mind one is +max health. An 800 item level with a max health affix has a higher low/top end roll than a 725. Some aspects also scale off item power rather than being flat percentages.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Quadratic is f(x) = x^2
Exponential is f(x) = 2^x

The key difference is when you take the derivative. That is, when you consider the rate of change of the function with respect to x. The quadratic function's derivative is 2x, while the exponential function's derivative is 2^x times log(2).

This is why exponential functions can really explode, compared to quadratic functions.

You are correct I oversimplified my post into being incorrect.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
auto pickup range should be a little bigger or a little faster for all auto pickups, or maybe just have a button that requires 10% of your resource and hoovers every autopickup on the screen with a fun animation

Jaytan posted:

Your post is right the guy who replied to you is wrong. 725 is the last breakpoint, but upgrading items changes the affix range for everything. The left item is in the 725 bucket, the right item is also in the 725 bucket but with 3 upgrades. It isn't the same thing as item breakpoints.

There are some affixes that scale purely off the item level - the top of mind one is +max health. An 800 item level with a max health affix has a higher low/top end roll than a 725. Some aspects also scale off item power rather than being flat percentages.

yeah the post below is really good and was saying what i observed but forgot for some reason

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Big brain move is to just know that item power below 775 = fuckin trash and don't worry about any of this silly 625/725 breakpoint nonsense

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
im a filthy casual and haven't quite finished the campaign yet but my main gripe with this game is all the empty space. feels like a lot of running around, the mount helps a little but is a little fiddly to use.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Upgrade the 771 to 771+15 and then compare it to your 802+15.

The affixes on an item have a base range that depends on its final item power after taking into account upgrades. Each time you upgrade an item (e.g. from 0/5 to 1/5, 1/5 to 2/5, etc.), the possible range as well as its current roll gets increased by 15% of the base. When you upgrade an item, if the item power increases to the breakpoint of a new tier, the highest of which is 725, the base range for the affixes will become higher, the roll will reroll within that new range, and then the range and the current roll get increased by 15% of the base per upgrade level as above. That is, all of the following item powers will have the same possible ranges for their affixes, because their final item power ends up at 725+, and they all have been upgraded 3/5 times:

710+15
771+15
802+15
820+15

However, a 709+15 item will have a lower possible range for its affixes, because it doesn't get pushed past the breakpoint of 725. If you were to upgrade that item to 709+20, the base possible ranges would be higher than any of the above items, because it's now in the 725+ tier, and it has been upgraded one more time than the others.

Percentage-based rolls follow the rules above. Flat rolls continue to increase as the item power goes up. Compare the Life on Kill vs the Cooldown Reduction ranges on the helms below that demonstrate all of this:

The CDR range on the 703+25 is higher than the range on the 791+20, because they are both in the 725+ tier, but the legendary helm has been upgraded 5 times whereas the rare has been upgraded 4 times. When you do the final upgrade on the rare to 791+25, they become equal.

The Life on Kill range just keeps going up up up with item power.

This was confusing as poo poo to read. I get it, but it was painful getting there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

latinotwink1997 posted:

This was confusing as poo poo to read. I get it, but it was painful getting there.

yeah, cripes. game dev brain rear end system

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ice Fist posted:

I used to get annoyed at the guaranteed failure events that require you to keep npcs alive. Now I appreciate them for delivering waves of mobs to me for xp and loot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gwaihir posted:

yeah, cripes. game dev brain rear end system

latinotwink1997 posted:

The Thing is that it doesn't matter. It's a useful tip for wt3 when you can have a sacred that's a quasi ancestral

High IP Good. It doesn't matter what happens to 704 IP gear at upgrade 5 when you should be auto dismantling any gear below 800

Yeah yeah some jewelry is good at 725+, silence pedant

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Thom and the Heads posted:

Has the latency in this game been awful for the past like 2 weeks for anyone else or is it just me?

nope, it's the game (ddos people)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

If you plan on playing past level 55 (like into the "repetitive endgame") or so just salvage almost everything until you're 50

The sell value of drops scale up quickly but you're not going to need much until you're rerolling on a perfect or near perfect item

I absolutely plan on wringing blood out of this stone yes. It cost £60.

That's useful to know about selling, thank you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Verviticus posted:

auto pickup range should be a little bigger or a little faster for all auto pickups, or maybe just have a button that requires 10% of your resource and hoovers every autopickup on the screen with a fun animation

The worst is monsters that don't drop those embers until an annoying little death dance.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Complaining on the internet once again solved Diablo problems and I just had a level 3 sigil drop in a level 1 dungeon, so now crafting sigils is unlocked and my level 58 character can stop wasting time in level 54 nightmare dungeons. It looks like I can craft sigils up to Tier 20. What's the optimal tier I want to aim for in order to efficiently gain EXP -- enemies 4 levels above me, so Tier 9 or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

American McGay posted:

There should be a helltide chest that costs 2k cinders and is a single guaranteed unique.

Are people able to get that many cinders in one helltide? I thought I was doing pretty good opening 6 of the mysteries chests and one legguards chest. That’s “only” 1125 cinders.

Also, is there a new best way to farm gold? I finally got a good weapon upgrade but I can’t do anything with it until I can roll +vulnerable on it and I’m already at 5mil per roll.