Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One film is pretentious and clearly up its own rear end about creating an artistic atmosphere and the other film is Barbie.

That said, the advertising is tripping a brain safety killswitch like in a Tarantino movie:

https://twitter.com/margotposts/status/1673023696510779393?t=YTcqAIyqiDl6yDJOtCom4w&s=19

Really going to be a masterpiece or a legendary bomb and there's not much space in-between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Israel conducting air strikes and a ground assault against a refugee camp in the West Bank for the last few hours under the guise of "anti-terrorism". Really hoping we'll get a US president someday who doesn't stand with an apartheid state.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVCZnau9-Wo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cugel the Clever posted:

Really hoping we'll get a US president someday who doesn't stand with an apartheid state.

They run the most aggressive intelligence agencies and offensive cyber attack companies per Capita. The USA is trying to get on their level

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I have what I call my Kong: Skull Island category of films, which are movies that have an absurd premise, know they have an absurd premise, but play it straight and have fun with it. To me, everything about Barbie looks like it's going into that category - it's not going to be some cinematic masterpiece, but it'll be fun to watch, and I'm looking forward to it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Reminds me of Eddie Izzard's bit about the 1st Battalion, Transvestite Brigade, Airborne Wing.

I feel like they really missed a joke about Marilyn Monroe's little white dress there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel conducting air strikes and a ground assault against a refugee camp in the West Bank for the last few hours under the guise of "anti-terrorism". Really hoping we'll get a US president someday who doesn't stand with an apartheid state.

yes but have you considered if the jews don't have Israel that we don't get to have the evangelical rapture?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
JFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK3tKh5vyHw

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Really hoping we'll get a US president someday who doesn't stand with an apartheid state.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah that's a good one

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I have what I call my Kong: Skull Island category of films, which are movies that have an absurd premise, know they have an absurd premise, but play it straight and have fun with it. To me, everything about Barbie looks like it's going into that category - it's not going to be some cinematic masterpiece, but it'll be fun to watch, and I'm looking forward to it.

Battleship fits this category for me, yeah it's dumb as gently caress but hell yeah I'll drink a beer and watch some decrepit museum docents fire up a WWII battleship to blast some aliens back to omicron persei 8.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arrath posted:

Battleship fits this category for me, yeah it's dumb as gently caress but hell yeah I'll drink a beer and watch some decrepit museum docents fire up a WWII battleship to blast some aliens back to omicron persei 8.

Battleship owns because it has heart

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Barbie movie is either going to be a pillar of cinematic brilliance so profound and striking that Orson Welles himself will rise from his grave to give one final standing ovation before returning to eternal slumber or it's going to be absolute garbage that causes Hollywood itself to write off the entire concept of "movies" as a fad that's finally fizzled out. There will be no in-between.

It’s either going to fizzle and have its debris caught in a two-hundred-tonne steel can, or it’s going to ignite the atmosphere.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

So to some extent, this is apparently a fuckup on Colorado's part. The initial lawsuit came in at the District Court level and both sides of the case, designer and state, agreed that "website designer was approached by LGBT client, does not want to design said website" was a fact. Once it's agreed to by both sides as a fact, it's never brought up again in the legal process. So when the case got to the appellate and Supreme Court levels, the designer's counsel/side never brought it up again and everyone involved kept it hypothetical.

So the "fake client" thing didn't really matter because the legal system is dumb like that. If both sides agree that a thing is a thing, it's no longer a dispute for the legal system to work out.

Or some poo poo. I'm no lawyer, that's just the analysis I'm seeing about it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

facialimpediment posted:

Really going to be a masterpiece or a legendary bomb and there's not much space in-between.

when you think about it both of these things are the same

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

So the "fake client" thing didn't really matter because the legal system is dumb like that. If both sides agree that a thing is a thing, it's no longer a dispute for the legal system to work out.

who was the lady presenting a lawsuit to? the state? who would be charged the damages in this hypothetical?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
https://youtu.be/I6vPuIMAOlA

This is enough reason to go see Barbie. It's beautiful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

The Vietnamese have been denied their Barbenheimer weekend due to a geopolitical dispute. In Barbie.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1675811746257281024?t=9L5dUvaa5vhsrsbB4dwY1A&s=19

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s only 8!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Carteret posted:

who was the lady presenting a lawsuit to? the state? who would be charged the damages in this hypothetical?

Please excuse me for linking to National loving Review - but it kind of explains it here.

And here's wapo on the same idea:

quote:

But the high court didn’t require that Smith had received a real request from “Stewart & Mike” or anyone else. Smith filed a “pre-enforcement challenge” to the Colorado statute because state would have probably moved against her if she had posted a statement about her intention to refuse service to same-sex couples on her website.

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, writing for the majority, said a lower court found that a reasonable assumption because of Colorado’s actions in other cases regarding same-sex marriages. On the merits, the court majority said the state of Colorado could not compel her to design any such site because it would “force her to convey messages inconsistent with her belief that marriage should be reserved to unions between one man and one woman.”

Even if the existence of Stewart’s request wasn’t real, the justices did not seem to regard it as legally relevant to considering Smith’s case. The justices who disagreed didn’t raise it as an issue. Writing for the dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor said the court was denying protection for LGBTQ+ people. “The opinion of the court is, quite literally, a notice that reads: ‘Some services may be denied to same-sex couples.’”

The court filing in Stewart’s name has left many baffled, including Stewart himself, who said he was concerned that the case had proceeded without anyone verifying if the request was authentic.

“There is a responsibility on the part of Lorie Smith’s lawyers and legal representatives to do their due diligence and make sure that this evidence is accurate,” he said.

So the lady was suing the Colorado, pre-emptively afraid that she'd get fined or state-punished for being a bigot refusing to build the website.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Waroduce posted:

https://youtu.be/I6vPuIMAOlA

This is enough reason to go see Barbie. It's beautiful

whomever the marketing director is needs a raise for their genius

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Please excuse me for linking to National loving Review - but it kind of explains it here.

And here's wapo on the same idea:

So the lady was suing the Colorado, pre-emptively afraid that she'd get fined or state-punished for being a bigot refusing to build the website.

Good to know I can get a lawsuit to the loving SUPREME COURT by using the "I'm OnLY aSkInG qUeStIoNs" strategy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Good to know I can get a lawsuit to the loving SUPREME COURT by using the "I'm OnLY aSkInG qUeStIoNs" strategy.

not just that, but invent a person to get mad at, then get mad at them online

it's conservatives' favorite hobby, so of course it gets a 6-3 in the supreme court

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1675158626837602305?t=vZI45J5n2rprZaGYvHwX4g&s=19

Non-zero chance he didn't do this as well in Pennsylvania and Nevada, right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1675158626837602305?t=vZI45J5n2rprZaGYvHwX4g&s=19

I thought this came out ages ago?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait no that was Georgia wasn't it? Ffs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean its well known at this point that he himself called multiple election officials and governors to try to commit fraud, or sent emissaries to pressure them. So this isn't news really.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm guessing someone in the Arizona GOP sat on this until subpoena'd, or it became clear Trump wasn't the horse to back, which is why we're finding out now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

Nevada had some fake elector bullshit going on, at least. There was a law to make that an actual crime, but to the surprise of nobody the current GOP governor Lombardo vetoed it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A.o.D. posted:

I'm guessing someone in the Arizona GOP sat on this until subpoena'd, or it became clear Trump wasn't the horse to back, which is why we're finding out now.

CNN said Doug Ducey told someone he was surprised Jack Smith hadn't come a'callin' yet.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I guess nobody remembers Doug Ducey sending a call to voicemail from Trump as he was literally in the middle of certifying the AZ election results. Just calling to check and see if Dougie could get him a teetime at his favorite course in Scottsdale, I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLFoJ5QoLc

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
jfc let there be consequences for all of this, if nothing else just so this rear end in a top hat can't run again, or for walking off with nuclear secrets to like, not be 'whatever' :smith:

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

It's defiantly a legal thing when it comes to freedom of speech. I came across a similar scenario years ago while dealing with my local school board trying to restrict kids from going to Gay Straight Alliance clubs and banning books.

Schools would try to thread the needle by making kids sign parent permission slips to check out harry potter or join certain clubs. If hypothetically a kid did have parents' permission but was denied, the school would be violating that kids rights and would be sued into the ground. You don't have to wait for your rights to be violated, if a law could restrict your freedoms it can be challenged. We have a mountain of free speech cases that set precedents about what to do if your rights are violated by laws. (Precedents that the Supreme Court doesn't care about)

Don't get me wrong, gently caress the supreme court and gently caress those bigots. But using a hypothetical in a freedom of speech case isn't a new thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Happy fundependence day! smoke food, drink beer, please don't lose finger, okay now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
fingat

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Happy fundependence day! smoke food, drink beer, please don't lose finger, okay now

I left some ammo and cheap beer out for Uncle Sam last night. It should be a good day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm making a bigass pot o' beans. Gonna be lit (farts)!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I intend to smoke weed and play Battletech all day. That's freedome.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1675986290985299968?t=BoadxD5W9TdvEnIeoEyFbA&s=19

Uh there's going to be Acting in this Barbie movie that's probably tougher than whatever Oppenheimer is doing

please don't lose fingat today

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1675986290985299968?t=BoadxD5W9TdvEnIeoEyFbA&s=19

Uh there's going to be Acting in this Barbie movie that's probably tougher than whatever Oppenheimer is doing

please don't lose fingat today

"My job is Beach"

Lol I'm going to love everything about that movie, it knows its silly and plays it perfectly.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Low Prices, my fellow Americans. I wish you all low prices on gasoline, rifle ammunition, and on your health insurance copays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

Low Prices, my fellow Americans. I wish you all low prices on gasoline, rifle ammunition, and on your health insurance copays.

America: eh two outta three ain't bad