Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Turned out it was a dud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

spankmeister posted:

You die, and another version of yourself wakes up again. There is no way of knowing whether this is true or false. Same goes for sleeping, really.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao at the theory arguement

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RDM posted:

"I wonder if thermodynamics knows they're wrong according to my freshman philosophy paper that got a D+"

what?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gravity is just a theory but I still fell down and busted my lip when I drank too much Saturday evening.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

You die, and another version of yourself wakes up again. There is no way of knowing whether this is true or false. Same goes for sleeping, really.

You retain some base level awareness even when sleeping, so there's not necessarily a total discontinuity of consciousness.

I could buy it for anesthesia, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

spankmeister posted:

Gravity is just a theory but I still fell down and busted my lip when I drank too much Saturday evening.

run another experiment where you drink more and come back with the results of falling down

this has to be tested thoroughly; alcohol might have some point wherein it acts as antigravity

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 3, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pekinduck posted:

Turned out it was a dud.

No no, Agassiz was into Catastrophism, not Lamarckism.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tai posted:

lmao at the theory arguement

I honestly have no idea what the disagreement even is, I'm just annoyed that people think that pointing out that the theory of evolution is a theory can actually mean anything negative about it (except when you don't know what that means).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 3, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I honestly have no idea what the disagreement even is, I'm just annoyed that people think that pointing out that the theory of evolution is a theory can actually mean anything negative about it.

i understand why folks reacted poorly over it precisely because there are a lot of grifters and assholes that act as god of the gaps as i think it was tiaz put it, and we are in a thread wherein a collection of assholes and grifters is acting as god of a different sort of a massive country and causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people on a literal global-level grift. that was why i took steps to try to make it clear i merely understood the dynamic, but did not advocate for any of the ridiculously malicious and harmful ramifications of the dynamic.

i have somewhat less sympathy over people continuing to pant furiously for a fight in the ukraine thread after it has been pointed out to them three times that their enemy is in another castle though

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Randarkman posted:

I honestly have no idea what the disagreement even is, I'm just annoyed that people think that pointing out that the theory of evolution is a theory can actually mean anything negative about it (except when you don't what that means).

It's because goons are pedantic dweebs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The KONY 2012 thing where a small child pointed at a picture of Kony and said "he is a bad man" but the child is pointing at Vladimir Putin

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
To clear this up

In the science community a theory is what we believe explains X. There will be evidence, arguements, counter arguements, people trying disprove or pick holes in it. Lots of experts will chat etc and it will get called a theory. The theory of X is still wide open for anyone to poo poo on it if you can back it up.

A theory in the regular world is basically saying, I scored 100 soccer goals in school so in theory, I'm the best player at school.

e - Which basically means that something being and remaining a scientific theory is the highest endorsement something can be given in the scientific world. Anyone thinking "theory" somehow casts doubt over something in science is wildly misinformed.

Tai fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 3, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tai posted:

In the science community a theory is what we believe explains X. There will be evidence, arguements, counter arguements, people trying disprove or pick holes in it. Lots of experts will chat etc and it will get called a theory. The theory of X is still wide open for anyone to poo poo on it if you can back it up.

Which basically means that something being and remaining a scientific theory is the highest endorsement something can be given in the scientific world. Anyone thinking "theory" somehow casts doubt over something in science is wildly misinformed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1675898648499044352
The results of the damaged fuel depot in Voronezh during the Wanker SS rebellion have been published now.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
another ChrisO thread, this time on the role of Russian mafia in Russia's war effort

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1675944861533368325

https://mstdn.social/@ChrisO_wiki@mastodon.social/110652045430828217

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1675944861533368325.html

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zone posted:

The results of the damaged fuel depot in Voronezh during the Wanker SS rebellion have been published now.
gonna need more than flex tape for that lotta damage

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tis but a scratch

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It's very disturbing to see that both gangs of thieves have settled their differences and work together.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Coolguye posted:

creationism works very differently really... propaganda procedures manipulate social hierarchy norms, a completely different lever.
You really have no idea. Creationism as we know it didn't arise naturally, it was invented recently as a movement and is supported by a high volume of intentionally created pseudoscience using the exact same flood the zone tactics. The people on top absolutely do not believe it themselves and are willing to say literally anything to support it.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 3, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Evolution is just a theory. A film theory.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1675898648499044352

The original SimCity might have lacked the isometric graphics of its sequels but it still had a certain charm.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

You really have no idea. Creationism as we know it didn't arise naturally, it was invented recently as a movement and is supported by a high volume of intentionally created pseudoscience using the exact same flood the zone tactics. The people on top absolutely do not believe it themselves and are willing to say literally anything to support it.

i wasn't speaking to the tactics used to perpetuate the lie friend

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

What the gently caress happened to the vory law?!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

:stare: I never thought I'd see THAT

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:chloe:

what the heck is going on in mah gaht dayung thread

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lysenko’s biology is a great example to use when people try to pull the “Atheists are the biggest mass murderers, Stalin was an atheist” card though. Miracles exist!!! and I mean aside from him being a trained seminarian, the pogroms and inquisitions, the partnerships/nepotism with the orthodox church clerical class and the fact that he just took over a country where a huge number of people believed the former czar was a demigod.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Lysenko’s biology is a great example to use when people try to pull the “Atheists are the biggest mass murderers, Stalin was an atheist” card though. I mean aside from him being a trained seminarian, the pogroms and inquisitions, the partnerships/nepotism with the orthodox church clerical class and the fact that he just took over a country where a huge number of people believed the former czar was a demigod.

Believing wrong pseudoscience poo poo doesn't make you not an atheist

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

HonorableTB posted:

too big to be a smilie :( if you can get it to 90x25 px then i'll buy it as :prigballs: or whatever the thread comes up with that's funnier

Hopefully this will work? I somehow miscalculated so it's 59x24 but I don't think you're missing much.
Again, I used Putin as reference so if it doesn't look like him then it's a bit pointless. Credit goes to whoever did the original drawing.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's wild that everyone here has basically the same shared opinion about something and yet feels the need to dunk on someone else for some completely dorky reason. This would be a good reddit conversation :golfclap:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Please trust me that by now everyone understands that 'theory' doesn't equate to 'internet comment opinion'. please do not explain this to me in 12 more posts

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Not really sure saying a few fucks etc is dunking

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Believing wrong pseudoscience poo poo doesn't make you not an atheist

Maybe not atheist, but certainly has all the same markers of the religious

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's wild that everyone here has basically the same shared opinion about something and yet feels the need to dunk on someone else for some completely dorky reason. This would be a good reddit conversation :golfclap:

gently caress you, you aren't my dad!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Maybe not atheist, but certainly has all the same markers of the religious

Neatly disqualifies all of r/atheism as well

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Avirosb posted:

Hopefully this will work? I somehow miscalculated so it's 59x24 but I don't think you're missing much.
Again, I used Putin as reference so if it doesn't look like him then it's a bit pointless. Credit goes to whoever did the original drawing.

:five:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lol that a significant number of them just hosed off the Chechnya instead. And now that hotdog boy is down, you think Putin is gonna go after his allies in the prison system too?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/russia-sells-the-only-manufacturer-of-grad-and-smerch-mlrs/

quote:

In the Russian Federation, the property and territories of the bankrupt PJSC Motovilikha Plants, the only manufacturer of a number of artillery systems in the country, is being sold, Russian media report.

Since 2018, the enterprise has been undergoing a bankruptcy process. In 2022, part of the company’s territories was already sold for 59.5 million rubles (about $100 thousand) for residential development.

Now the head of the competition commission, which deals with the liquidation of the company’s debts, announced the acceptance of bids, within which the property and part of the territories of the enterprise had to be sold. The initial price of the lot is 9.481 billion rubles (about $105 million).

Located in the Perm Krai, the company is one of the oldest manufacturers of weapons in Russia. The date of its foundation is considered to be 1736. Today it is one of the largest artillery manufacturers in the Russian Federation.

PJSC Motovilikha Plants is the developer and the only Russian manufacturer of combat and transporter-loader vehicles for the Grad, Smerch MLRS and their modified versions, such as Tornado-G and Tornado-S.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Neatly disqualifies all of r/atheism as well

Are you okay

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Are you okay

BUSTER WOLF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crossposting for some content:

A Bad King posted:

Anyways, UKR/RUS news:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/03/...&smid=url-share

The Russian embassy in DC and the US embassy in Moscow are getting into spitting matches with their host countries and it's kinda cute.

Some things happening at the NL embassy in Moscow as well:

https://twitter.com/GillesBP/status/1675551415572353024

"From 2014 to 2022 in the Donbass 11000 people died. Where were the Netherlands for 8 years while innocent children died"

And also:

https://twitter.com/Kysia/status/1675589130347003904?s=20

"The Netherlands is a country of lies"

(both translations mine)