Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Beffer posted:

Will all this nonsense fire England up for Thursday or exhaust them. Ordinarily you would assume the latter, but Stokes and Bairstow are completely loving bonkers

I don’t think test cricket and playing angry are a great combination, not conducive to concentration and focus for long periods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
That photo looks like Head is telling him not to eat the helmet.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm very calm actually, and this is victory wine.

Congrats on being on the same side of the issue as Geoffrey Boycott I guess

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Geoffrey had a rant in the telegraph a few days ago to the effect that this is the ashes and the only thing that matters is winning.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Whingeing Poms gonna Whinge

lol at the whole "apologise, we're hurting here yknow" loving stump every last oval office Australia, even if the ball is dead.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Brilliant cricket, fantastic stumping, had to switch off after Stokesy starting smacking it around because I ain't watching that poo poo again.

Switched back on to see the glorious, victorious Aussies.

5-0 still on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's against the spirit of the game, cries the Lord's crowd, while frantically ignoring that the Laws of Cricket decided upon by Lord's literally define The Spirit Of The Game by including gems like "accept the umpire's decision", "create a positive atmosphere and encourage others to do likewise", and "show self-discipline even when things go against you"

Although I think part of it is that the Poms can't understand how a wicketkeeper knows how to get people out :v:

As a side-note, I listened to a podcast a while back where two Americans (one a baseball fan with very basic understanding of cricket, the other only a vague sports fan) discussed The Underarm Incident in great detail. They were both absolutely astonished that doing something unsporting but within the rules caused such a huge fuss.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who the gently caress is Todd Murphy

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Mister Chief posted:

Who the gently caress is Todd Murphy

Decent off spin bowler or Harry Potter, your choice

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I didn't get a chance to see the stumping til this morning but from the way everyone was talking about it I thought Carey had the ball in the gloves and was chucking it up and down for like 5 seconds or something, not that he did the exact thing all keepers do at least once per match on the off chance it works. Absolute nothing of an incident, don't be a dumbass.

Actually this is more ammo for Bairstow not having the keeping skills because any keeper worth his salt would be expecting that on every single delivery.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Mike Brearley (ex England captain of the 1970s and 80s for those too young) became a qualified psychoanalyst after retiring. He wrote a column saying it is certainly not a coincidence that the architects of this new approach in Stokes and McCullum are both sufferers of depression and have talked openly how therapy has helped them on the last couple of years.

Article here, it's really good: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/27/can-the-two-selves-help-each-other-mike-brearley-on-bazball-test-cricket-and-psychoanalysis

Thanks, this is very interesting. I like how even within his more psychoanalytic positions he still can't help but give cricket takes.

tarbrush posted:

I'm in this camp. Carey's a wicketkeeper, a certain amount of cuntery is expected.

I thought they should have withdrawn the appeal, but completely understand why they didn't.

Also also, I've just seen the below article and now basically want Australia to try this every ball just to spite Boycott

https://twitter.com/telecricket/status/1675811452668485632?t=dMslMPAFog3_9MdTiFKSxQ&s=19

This came up during the last time someone got Mankadded but I think it's fair to be frustrated that a good and exciting moment got hijacked by someone getting out anticlimactically. The issue is that the frustration should be entirely directed at Baristow and every article like this should be headlined "Baristow is a loving Idiot" instead of putting the responsibility on the team that caught him asleep at the wheel.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Marnus clip from up thread is interesting because while it doesn't happen at the end of the over, as soon as he hears it go into Bairstow's gloves, he turns around and looks at him so he's ready for the throw back. In short, Bairstow is a loving idiot and the straw clutching in the media is embarrassing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Okay, I withdraw all my criticisms of any Australians involved in this. The entire Tory oval office establishment has rowed in behind Bairstow and I will be damned if I agree with May and Sunak on anything.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Just when you think this all couldn't get any funnier, we've got an international diplomatic incident brewing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's a very English thing to cry foul over something you yourself have been doing all the drat time so I'm not surprised they're going to try turning it into a cultural issue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The victim card is extremely easy to play around sports and they're all wannabe populist cunts who will suck any dog dick going if it gets them a few percentage points.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Rothfield b:Harris 🦆

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hyperriker posted:

Just when you think this all couldn't get any funnier, we've got an international diplomatic incident brewing

Australia has already hosed the UK over with the free trade agreement, cricket is a great distraction for the Tories, they get a week of cricket headlines vs the uk economic collapse

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

tarbrush posted:

Okay, I withdraw all my criticisms of any Australians involved in this. The entire Tory oval office establishment has rowed in behind Bairstow and I will be damned if I agree with May and Sunak on anything.

Nothing brings people together like disdain for the Tories.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tarbrush posted:

Agreed we're all Aussies now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Agreed we're all Aussies now.

Reported

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd rather be an Aussie than a Tory.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

An awful choice but a fair one

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Agreed

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I withdraw my appeal

As is the morally correct thing to do

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

I withdraw my appeal

lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I honestly think had this been Warner or whoever getting stumped a lot of Australians would have a little whinge but the general consensus would be "stay in the crease fuckwit". I doubt loving albo would be having a cry to the newspaper

Actually England has been very chatty this ashes. I think this really is a when prophecy fails situation going on. Obviously I want to win every ashes 5-0 but I really want to win this one 5-0 to see the rhetoric coming from England after the oval

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress being a Tory

Bairstow is an idiot and the pom's are pricks

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

England are bad winners and even worse losers it's really not surprising.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

serious gaylord posted:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You can predict these sorts of tiresome op-eds from politicians and media hacks when a country is in free fall economically, culturally and socially, but some of the stuff taken from the players and coaching staff has been disappointing. If nothing else, it's just bad sports psychology since a team like Australia will thrive on it. The pandering to the lowest common denominator of loud idiots is annoying but expected elsewhere. The rest of us can just try to see the humour in it and/or drink ourselves into a stupor (at least the beer is better here ;)).

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/03/was-it-in-the-spirit-of-the-game-a-nation-cries-whither-cricket?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

(at least the beer is better here ;)).

It’s warm though

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lyon out

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1675995333804044288?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Welcome Super Todd Mad Dog Murphy

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

In the spirit of the game, I hope the series ends 5-0 and we win each of the remaining tests by an innings.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I honestly think had this been Warner or whoever getting stumped a lot of Australians would have a little whinge but the general consensus would be "stay in the crease fuckwit".

If Warner did it it would just be another item on the long list on why he should be dropped.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Skarsnik posted:

I withdraw my appeal

Hahaha

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Thinking of this every time McCullum calls Ben Stokes an inspirational leader and good role model

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-45111213

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The Australian test team has the opportunity to do the funniest thing in cricket history.
Start Mankading