Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What Locarno did was entirely self serving. He bullied his friends into going along with an illegal stunt and got one of them killed, purely for personal glory, then did everything he could to smear the dead guy's reputation. He only took the blame on himself at the last second because Wesley spilled the beans and he was screwed either way. On the other hand, Paris was taken in by what looked like a greater cause. Say what you want about the Maquis, they are fighting for their homes and they do really believe they have no other choice. They're idiot zealots, but they know how to sell themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

You're all forgetting that Locarno isn't Paris, he's just his doppelganger, and the Trek universe is full of doppelgangers, some of which are even the same species as each other.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ST IX - I'd seen this one but had forgotten most of it, I guess because it's pretty forgettable overall. Not bad, just not great. Again, another crooked Admiral. The federation upper crust is filled with bad guys apparently.

Generations probably has the most people flying through the air. IX movie probably has the most phaser fire. Also a shoulder fired rocket launcher looking something something which they didn't show anyone packing up in the arming scene or carrying around. Just Worf out of nowhere with the big blast. Just kind of sloppy overall but a fun movie.

Nemesis is next woo hoo.

SNW ep3 - It was an OK episode to me. I know it's a nitpick but I had trouble buying them getting enough money to stay in a luxury hotel from some random public chess games. Data using his badge as poker collateral in TNG given it was made of gold was elegant. I know they don't want to leave tech behind in the past but it seems like they could take the technical guts out or something (we've seen them take them apart by hand before) and then all treks that came after that episode would have an easy answer to the money problem without having to create some scenes that didn't add anything to the story.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

How are you coping?

Honestly, I've been thinking over the episode and wondering if there was some way it could've been made into at least a halfway decent episode. Maybe without the lazy gender stereotypes, and you'd definitely have to remove the whole "attempted rape as a punchline" part of the climax... but then what are you left with? Nah, it was probably a doomed idea from the start.

I was surprised that Dax doesn't appear in the episode, given that she's the character with the most experience when it comes to gender.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

I was surprised that Dax doesn't appear in the episode, given that she's the character with the most experience when it comes to gender.

I still like when she meets Curzon's old Klingon buddies and once the old dude realizes it's Dax it's like

"Curzon! My old friend!"

"I'm Jadzia."

"Jadzia! My old friend!"

Klingons who aren't Worf rule hard.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

Say what you want about the Maquis

I will. They're the biggest collection of self serving losers in the entire star wars trek canon. They don't really believe they're fighting for their homes, they just want to be in a freedom fight and generated one to fulfill their wish.

They're the 90s version of internet influencers going to poor areas and taking pictures of themselves giving bottles of water to starving children.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 3, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big rear end On Fire posted:

SNW ep3 - It was an OK episode to me. I know it's a nitpick but I had trouble buying them getting enough money to stay in a luxury hotel from some random public chess games

So I just looked this up and found a chess site that claims a good chess hustler can make about $USD400 a day.
https://chesseasy.com/what-are-chess-hustlers-and-how-strong-are-they/
And that's for people who are very good at chess but probably only just getting close to tournament level.

So the numbers could be slightly off, but not by all that much really it seems :shrug:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 3, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I will. They're the biggest collection of self serving losers in the entire star wars canon.

Luke Skywalker must hate all those Star Treks he did as a jedi.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, it's canada. How much can a luxury hotel room cost?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

I mean, it's canada. How much can a luxury hotel room cost?

Particular an alternative time line Canada that silly enough to keep having all it's bridges blow up! That's gotta to keep the cost for a room down.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Worf's exasperated and embarrassed line in ST IX "It is a gorsch!" was a good one.

Daughter and I continued our TNG watching. Dual Rikers was a weird one, particularly knowing now that the Riker we all know is married to Troi and the other one, who was all into Troi when he was rescued, is left out in the cold. Also the 3 ambassadors episode was interesting, conceptionally and in the episode. Poor Picard stranded on some hellish planet with an apparent crazy person. I like when he tells the ambassador what you did would be considered a crime by my society.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Worf's exasperated and embarrassed line in ST IX "It is a gorsch!" was a good one.

Daughter and I continued our TNG watching. Dual Rikers was a weird one, particularly knowing now that the Riker we all know is married to Troi and the other one, who was all into Troi when he was rescued, is left out in the cold. Also the 3 ambassadors episode was interesting, conceptionally and in the episode. Poor Picard stranded on some hellish planet with an apparent crazy person. I like when he tells the ambassador what you did would be considered a crime by my society.

Being the Dessert Ambassador for that race must be a pretty sweet gig, though.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Cthulu Carl posted:

Being the Dessert Ambassador for that race must be a pretty sweet gig, though.
And their counterpart on the receiving delegation is decent too. Worf and Picard got the short straws.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dual Rikers was a weird one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

lol.

Another thing about the dessert ambassador. Iirc, the reason pleasure = dessert is because Troi essentially volunteered it as such. If it were Riker with assignment we all know how it would have gone.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I still state Insurrection was one of the best late-90s/early-00s comedies.

"In the event of an emergency landing I have been designed to act as a flotation device," *inflation noises* lmao.

"May I?" *Data rubs Riker's chin, Frakes and Spiner visibly corpse on screen*

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Worf has a bit zit in that scene for no reason, too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Yeah, but then he gets to fire a purple space bazooka and blow some chucklefucks up and kill a drone by smashing it with the end of a phaser rifle like it's a baseball bat, so it evens out in the end. Insurrection is actually a weirdly good movie for Worf.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Everyone was Benjamin Buttoning so he was going through puberty again

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

DaveWoo posted:

I just watched "Profit and Lace" for the first time, AMA

HAHAAA ME TOO BUDDY

I actually kind of liked it? It wasn't as bad as id heard imo.

Like there were some bits that were obviously meant to be funny to cishets but :shrug: they didn't rub your nose in it like most poo poo does, they just let the character scenes have their moments. Like the "90s rape joke" scene didn't bother me because a) I didn't read it as comedy, b) ferengi already are hugely lacking the concepts of "consent" as a culture (and the entire episode is around them trying to attain that) and c) he's a 0.001% ferengi in charge of a commercial empire that spans a significant portion of the galaxy, so like it absolutely makes sense he does not have the concept of consent and is completely unused to getting told "no".

Also I appreciate that Quark went to bashir like "I wanna change my gender" and Bashir was presumably just like "lmao can do", although Bashir being trans, it makes sense

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 4, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also the red squad or delta squad or whatever they were called episode was good and sad and sucked and i kept expecting sisko to pipe down the phone being mad about children running a starship any second

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Worf is an incel terrorist

Worf deserves a wife who has like 2 hundred thousand funkopops and is a total klingaboo nerd just like him

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

although Bashir being trans

As in his augment history is an allegory for it or he has big trans energy, or something else I'm not thinking of?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

As in his augment history is an allegory for it or he has big trans energy, or something else I'm not thinking of?

No it's explicitly stated in the text, Bashir has a womb. It was meant as a joke by the writer but Siddig reads it completely seriously so it's just canon now lol

IMO it saves him as a character because it's not him being creepy he's just a trans guy with absolutely zero game

https://twitter.com/suchnerve/status/1661186104584728582?s=20

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That doesn't sound like Bashir saying "I have a womb" but "I only had one option"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't think that implies bashir has a womb. he's discounting himself as a possibility

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i really don't get how that scene states that bashir is trans.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

If he didn't have a womb, he wouldn't list himself as an option in the first place

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i really don't get how that scene states that bashir is trans.

I mean I can see how, that's not my take on it but I can see how people get there

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Anyway if he doesn't have a womb then just how exactly is Garak supposed to get him pregnant?????

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

alexandriao posted:

If he didn't have a womb, he wouldn't list himself as an option in the first place

hmm, that seems like a bit of a stretch but it's more fun if he's trans so okay.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

alexandriao posted:

Eh, sounds more like he's listing himself as a rhetorical device.

Like "It's time to kick rear end and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of gum"

otoh, Bashir trans, so what

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean, if he can give Quark a full sex change, it stands to reason he can probably give himself a womb if needed :shrug:

alexandriao posted:

Also the red squad or delta squad or whatever they were called episode was good and sad and sucked and i kept expecting sisko to pipe down the phone being mad about children running a starship any second

I liked that episode too, the young captain dude really nails that "wannabe Kirk" energy

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

alexandriao posted:

Anyway if he doesn't have a womb then just how exactly is Garak supposed to get him pregnant?????

Can Cardassians and humans even have a baby? I think Cardassians and Bajorans can, but I've never heard of any other combinations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

I mean, if he can give Quark a full sex change, it stands to reason he can probably give himself a womb if needed :shrug:

"I needed to get the baby into a womb and my only choices were Major Kira or me... "

"I think you made the right choice doct-"

"Tell Quark if he needs another sex change, I'm all out of sexchangestrol. When do I get to move in, Chief? Will you be helping with my bags, or should I ask Garak - By the way, it IS all right if Garak spends the night sometimes?"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Deep Space LGBTQ+

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sisko: you made the right choice bashir. carrying miles' baby would've only complicated your holodeck trips.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DaveWoo posted:

I liked that episode too, the young captain dude really nails that "wannabe Kirk" energy

Jake being the voice of reason and trying to explain the Dominion don't install reactor exhaust ports was a good bit of foreshadowing. I knew the initial explosion was a dud so to speak.

"Dead Squad!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its established that you can go and ask Bashir to do any kind of medical procedure and he'll be like "Hell yeah, I am 100% on board , lets do this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Its established that you can go and ask Bashir to do any kind of medical procedure and he'll be like "Hell yeah, I am 100% on board , lets do this"

FALGSC at its finest.