Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

wuffles posted:

Are people able to get that many cinders in one helltide? I thought I was doing pretty good opening 6 of the mysteries chests and one legguards chest. That’s “only” 1125 cinders.

Also, is there a new best way to farm gold? I finally got a good weapon upgrade but I can’t do anything with it until I can roll +vulnerable on it and I’m already at 5mil per roll.

I've seen a couple druids out there that output so much aoe damage that everything on screen is permanently dead, and following them around netted me like 2500 cinders in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ice Fist posted:

That event in particular I'm pretty sure is almost impossible. They like forgot to add scaling to their health or something so for me they just instantly die if they're sneezed on.

I’ve saved all three adventurers a few times but I put that down to being a summoner/CE necro so all my minions are running interference while I’m coating the whole screen in death and corpse tendriling everyone in every few seconds. On some classes/builds it’s probably drat near impossible.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

McCoy Pauley posted:

Complaining on the internet once again solved Diablo problems and I just had a level 3 sigil drop in a level 1 dungeon, so now crafting sigils is unlocked and my level 58 character can stop wasting time in level 54 nightmare dungeons. It looks like I can craft sigils up to Tier 20. What's the optimal tier I want to aim for in order to efficiently gain EXP -- enemies 4 levels above me, so Tier 9 or so?

Enemies that are your level +3 is the sweet spot yeah. I haven’t really noticed slower kills or more deaths from stuff a bit higher so anything from like +3 to +8 is what I go for when I craft sigils.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Tonetta posted:

I've seen a couple druids out there that output so much aoe damage that everything on screen is permanently dead, and following them around netted me like 2500 cinders in the past

I'm one of these druids, so maybe I need to adjust my strategy.

Ice Fist posted:

That event in particular I'm pretty sure is almost impossible. They like forgot to add scaling to their health or something so for me they just instantly die if they're sneezed on.

Yeah I have no problem clearing any of these events with ease in the open world, but in dungeons I don't know what more I can do to for some of the "save 3" events b/c I'm killing stuff as fast as it spawns and they are still murdering these folks.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

“Hmm, can this rogue handle a NM dungeon yet, even if my item rolls are a mess?” *dies to the butcher in the first room*

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How does "+[x]% critical strike damage with core skills" calculate? Does it add the percentage to your existing critical hit damage multiplier when using a core skill, or is it an independent multiplier to critical hit damage when using a core skill?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We were in the last campaign quest and the game bugged out and didn't give us the prompt to jump the stupid gap so we could fight the next boss. Guess we'll finish that tomorrow. :/

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Anyone know of a good summon Necro guide? Just got the Golem opened up and realized I needed to put it on the bar, which means I have too many skills and trying to figure out how to switch it up to fit the golem. I have looked at two "summoner" guides so far but they both feel like they have issues. One actually doesn't take Corpse Explosion and mostly seems to use the same skills I do currently, has two curses though and has Army of the Dead which feels thematic, but after looking it over I realized it had 7 skills which is too many, at first I thought maybe they didn't use the Basic but they specifically call it out for corpse generation. The other seems to mostly focus on Corpse Explosion and Tendrils, and despite being a Summoner build goes out of the way to suggest not grabbing passives that improve your summons. Which doesn't feel right to me, no matter how powerful Tendrils plus Plagued Corpse Explosion may be.

I am hoping for a build that makes full use of the summons, goes all in on their passives and maybe the Shadow Passives, and should probably have Army of the Dead. But I haven't had any luck finding one.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Maxroll.gg is good to get you started. Never fully trust a guide though. Trust but verify

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Ryuujin posted:

Anyone know of a good summon Necro guide? Just got the Golem opened up and realized I needed to put it on the bar, which means I have too many skills and trying to figure out how to switch it up to fit the golem. I have looked at two "summoner" guides so far but they both feel like they have issues. One actually doesn't take Corpse Explosion and mostly seems to use the same skills I do currently, has two curses though and has Army of the Dead which feels thematic, but after looking it over I realized it had 7 skills which is too many, at first I thought maybe they didn't use the Basic but they specifically call it out for corpse generation. The other seems to mostly focus on Corpse Explosion and Tendrils, and despite being a Summoner build goes out of the way to suggest not grabbing passives that improve your summons. Which doesn't feel right to me, no matter how powerful Tendrils plus Plagued Corpse Explosion may be.

I am hoping for a build that makes full use of the summons, goes all in on their passives and maybe the Shadow Passives, and should probably have Army of the Dead. But I haven't had any luck finding one.

Chances are that first build is using some kind of aspect or interaction to proc the 7th skill without it being on your bar.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Jaytan posted:

In context here: linear means as armor increases damage reduction increases proportionally. If 10 armor gives you .01 damage reduction it doesn’t matter if your total armor is 100 or 10000.

Logarithmic means early points are worth a lot, and later points become worth less and less. This is generally how damage mitigation works in games because letting the player become immune to damage is generally a bad thing. 10 armor gives 10% damage reduction if your armor is 0 but .01% if your armor is 10000.

“Quadratic” is a subset of “exponential” where the exponent is specifically 2. “Exponential” is the inverse of logarithmic. Early points aren’t worth much, but later points are worth increasingly more. 10 armor gives 10% damage reduction if your armor is 10000 but .01% if your armor is 0.
To add complication here: talking about "diminishing return" for damage reduction is inherently kinda weird because you can talk about linear scaling of damage reduction or linear scaling of effective HP. A lot of games (including Diablo 3) work off linear scaling of effective HP (each point of armor/resistance increases your effective HP by a constant percentage). Linear scaling of effective HP is nice because it scales cleanly no matter how much of it you give out: you can see how this would be useful in a game with ~infinite scaling.

So based on the graphs a couple pages ago, D4 armor is roughly linear in damage reduction up to the cap, which is accelerating return in terms of effective HP (i.e. the more of it you have, the more each additional point is worth until you hit the cap).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

wemgo posted:

Maxroll.gg is good to get you started. Never fully trust a guide though. Trust but verify

Maxroll was the one that was all about not grabbing Minion passives on the Summoning build which would be fine on a build where the summons were just a little extra, but seems odd for a summoning build.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

15 minutes for a dozen legendaries and some crafting mats seems fine to me.

The problem is they're boring.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

So you've got Raise, Corpse Tendrils, Golem, and AOTD and need a corpse generator (usually Reap) and corpse explosion.

Keeping the golem basically slams the door on the build. You need AOTD to res your minions.

I'd drop the golem and add blight personally, another damage stacker.

Eventually I got tired of those little fuckers dying and needing 12 corpses to rez them (no they don't live an entire cooldown of AOTD against bosses with AoE)

Without a direct damage skill like Corpse Explosion you will just never kill bosses, and you need its stacking pools of poo poo.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Ryuujin posted:

Maxroll was the one that was all about not grabbing Minion passives on the Summoning build which would be fine on a build where the summons were just a little extra, but seems odd for a summoning build.

I don’t know if you really need a guide for summons. You kind of just take all the summon passives on the skill tree & there’s a dedicated paragon board for summons generally and the golem in particular. If you want to take army of the dead you’ve got 3 of your active slots filled. If you are playing hardcore you need to take blood mist. You need a source of vulnerability, and a corpse generator for your other 2 slots.

FWIW many of the summon paragon nodes don’t actually do anything, and you can’t direct the minions at all so necro summons are extremely painful to play in T4.

Edit: fwiw I got to level 70 running summons in hardcore, and never took army of the dead. The legendary aspect that uses it was bugged. There are plenty of ways to generate corpses to resummon your army without using aotd.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 4, 2023

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Using graph paper, stubbornness and time I have filled out 7 paragon boards and am spending my last levels overstacking them.

If I had to offer general advice I'd say remember you can exit a board two ways and can save a lot of points making two hub boards and 4 dead end branches near your starting board.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ryuujin posted:

Mine is like lvl. 60. I went hard into minions, vuln damage, and shadow damage.

It mainly relies on corpse explosion (with the shadow DoT upgrade), tendrils, and decrepify, and the shadow passive at the end of the skill line. I took all the minion passives. Reaper skeletons for corpse generation, iron golem to vuln crowds, and shadow mages to proc the shadow passive, which I think works? That, plus the aspect that mentions shadowblight, which escapes me at the moment. Most of my other aspects are one for barrier and various ones for minion stats.

It is not exactly a *good* build, but it's mostly homebrew and it doesn't have any huge weaknesses other than its a bit slow and boring. Good survivability though. There is potential, with better rolled gear for vuln. damage and cooldown reduction. Tendrils is crazy, and lets you nuke entire crowds effortlessly while your posse cleans up stragglers.

You will want to use the skeleton priest a bit, because in addition to healing, it's a real nice bonus to minion damage while it's active.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yeah you need 12 corpses (I feel like 14 is a possible max?) to rez all of those little fuckers, and you're already so goddamn slow as a necro.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
I think any build relying on corpse tendrils to apply vuln is just always gonna be too slow. I ran golem/summon/blood mist/decrep/corpse explosion/bone spear and used frost mages/CE to generate essence. I solod on hardcore through the start of T4 with that, but at t4 you just start getting many elites that are just unkillable with that setup.

Edit: to be clear it’s not a skill issue it’s minions just blow at positioning. Suppressor elites negate skeleton mages, explosive affix on elites ruins skeleton warriors. The golem active ability made him more playable, but on T4 I think skeletons can only serve to die while damaging things with thorns.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 4, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Grumbles posted:

I'm at level 41 or so and I'm still trying to get a sense of when to sell gear vs when to salvage it. Especially now things like aspects are becoming more relevant, and all that is getting a lot more expensive. How much money should I have in the bank? I'm kind of bouncing between 100k-200k gold.

I'm currently selling jewelry and salvaging everything else because these idiots have the game design skill of an intern at a tax prep software company and fuckin failed to put a symbol on anything you don't have unlocked as a transmog. So it all gets salvaged just in case. If you don't care about mog then sell a lot more.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
idk if it’s just weird luck or what but i always get a treasure goblin and the butcher when i do dungeons, NM or not. if i see one, always the other, never separate. that just me or is it s weird tell?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

harrygomm posted:

idk if it’s just weird luck or what but i always get a treasure goblin and the butcher when i do dungeons, NM or not. if i see one, always the other, never separate. that just me or is it s weird tell?

Now that you mention it, yeah. I think it's so you chase the treasure goblin and get blindsided by The Butcher.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A lot of the posts about people saying they collect all their resources from drops make it pretty clear they aren't actually using the crafting systems. Attaching an aspect to my amulet at level 66, for example, cost 19 resources that can only be gained one at a time by salvaging legendary jewelry. You definitely need gold first and foremost, but towards the end of WT3 you'll start running into issues with enchanting, upgrading, and imprinting if you don't also do a lot of salvaging.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ryuujin posted:

You might be too early, but you actually drop your builder. You need ice mages that return essence when attacking, and powered by death 3 first. That last one gives you 9 essence when consuming a corpse. Make you skeleteon warriors reapers, so you're getting lots of corpses. I'm running Blight, Decrepify, CE, Tendrils, skeles, golem. 71 and having zero problems keeping them or myself alive, but i'm not too deep into nightmare dungeons yet, so stuff is only about +4 to +5 to me.

Build up the passives that increase minion strength and damage to cursed and enemies suffering dark damage. Getting the ring of mendellin makes the build shine, but I don't have it. I run with 6 warriors/ 6 mages with Bone Golem. Between the golem taunt and my tendrils, things usually don't even bother attacking me (except the loving butcher)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm currently selling jewelry and salvaging everything else because these idiots have the game design skill of an intern at a tax prep software company and fuckin failed to put a symbol on anything you don't have unlocked as a transmog. So it all gets salvaged just in case. If you don't care about mog then sell a lot more.

The symbol you're wanting actually does exist. Open up a vendor and any item with a blacksmith hammer on it will unlock a mog for you. Anything without it is safe to sell.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jaytan posted:

I think any build relying on corpse tendrils to apply vuln is just always gonna be too slow. I ran golem/summon/blood mist/decrep/corpse explosion/bone spear and used frost mages/CE to generate essence. I solod on hardcore through the start of T4 with that, but at t4 you just start getting many elites that are just unkillable with that setup.

Edit: to be clear it’s not a skill issue it’s minions just blow at positioning. Suppressor elites negate skeleton mages, explosive affix on elites ruins skeleton warriors. The golem active ability made him more playable, but on T4 I think skeletons can only serve to die while damaging things with thorns.

Upgraded decrepify cuts down on all recharge. I usually have CT ready to go again by the time the vuln wears off. And raising 12 corpses is only an issue if I've somehow died, which really doesn't happen. You NEED to be hammering that Skele button every 5 seconds and have the passive that boosts the heal to 60% along with the other passive that makes so they can never take more thatn 30% of their max health in a single hit if you want to be serious about a summoner necro.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

A lot of the posts about people saying they collect all their resources from drops make it pretty clear they aren't actually using the crafting systems. Attaching an aspect to my amulet at level 66, for example, cost 19 resources that can only be gained one at a time by salvaging legendary jewelry. You definitely need gold first and foremost, but towards the end of WT3 you'll start running into issues with enchanting, upgrading, and imprinting if you don't also do a lot of salvaging.

There's a chokepoint where you need to salvage more than you sell, but once you're deep into WT4 you get tons of that stuff from drops. I think. I never run out anymore unless I'm throwing millions of gold away on rerolls until it gets so pricey I give up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Martian Manfucker posted:

The symbol you're wanting actually does exist. Open up a vendor and any item with a blacksmith hammer on it will unlock a mog for you. Anything without it is safe to sell.

Huh thanks! I guess my google search ability sucks.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Jaytan posted:

Abhorrent decrepify adds a lucky hit effect to reduce cooldown, which helps. Cold skeletons, iron golem, and bone splinters upgrade also add ways to apply vulnerability.

Even still, it's still not a great build, and that's without having tried it on T4. All the meta necro builds seem to sacrifice minions, though, which is just the opposite of the reasons I would want to play necro.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Also they recently patched something in that forces necro minions to attack your cursed target, right? Not as good as D3 skeletons but it's something?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
HC rogue is coming online. lmao at daze being able to apply to bosses/elites in general but double lmao at the ‘crit a dazed foe to knock them down’ talent. who cares that it only knocks them down for 0.5 seconds if the falling and standing animation is like 3 seconds during which you can knock them down again. elites never get to stand up or move any more

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Also they recently patched something in that forces necro minions to attack your cursed target, right? Not as good as D3 skeletons but it's something?

I don't know that it forces, so much as casting curse will aggro them to a cursed target if they are not already engaged.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

harrygomm posted:

HC rogue is coming online. lmao at daze being able to apply to bosses/elites in general but double lmao at the ‘crit a dazed foe to knock them down’ talent. who cares that it only knocks them down for 0.5 seconds if the falling and standing animation is like 3 seconds during which you can knock them down again. elites never get to stand up or move any more

Just a comical cycle of the animation playing/skipping. If at any point something seems like it may be able to attack me, frost-imbued flurry. If the time on that runs out, shadow-imbued flurry with stuns. If that is out too and I'm still surrounded, time to zippity-zoppity off that property with dash.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

harrygomm posted:

Enjoy it while you can, it won't be long until they add in progressive cc resistance like D3.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

i cant tell if its frustrating that i got this like three levels into WT4 and have never been able to use my sword for WW or happy that im probably never replacing this

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i cant tell if its frustrating that i got this like three levels into WT4 and have never been able to use my sword for WW or happy that im probably never replacing this

Can't you do way better on the damage roll? Seems low.

Two handers have such a huge range and seems to use all of it, but all the wands and daggers I've seen are max or 1 point off max. I wonder if that's a bug (hope they never fix it).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Just a comical cycle of the animation playing/skipping. If at any point something seems like it may be able to attack me, frost-imbued flurry. If the time on that runs out, shadow-imbued flurry with stuns. If that is out too and I'm still surrounded, time to zippity-zoppity off that property with dash.

Almost nobody uses Maul for druid but it does this poo poo really well, which helps in HC until you go manaless. Who cares if lightning is better AOE vuln, make big dumb demon fall over :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nah. Basically all mats become drops eventually. WT4 grand resplendent chests drop a bunch of the legendary salvage mats.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

WarpedLichen posted:

Can't you do way better on the damage roll? Seems low.

Two handers have such a huge range and seems to use all of it, but all the wands and daggers I've seen are max or 1 point off max. I wonder if that's a bug (hope they never fix it).

the damage roll is, as far as i can tell, directly linked to ilvl and nothing else

id like crit damage on it but im not getting that on something over 810 for a while and apparently i will never ever get another sword so

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Swilo posted:

Enjoy it while you can, it won't be long until they add in progressive cc resistance like D3.

as with everything blizzard, exploit early exploit often