Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Richard Linklater's Before Digestion.

Linklater could probably do a really good slasher. Something like Dazed and Confused or Everybody Wants Some but then Jason shows up. Blumhouse should line him up for it since they're currently bankrolling his latest shot-over-decades drama.

BrownPepper posted:

What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

Kind of an edge case but Robert Altman's 3 Women

Paul Schrader's Cat People remake is also up there

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guess Kubrick is too obv

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Quote-Unquote posted:

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy discuss their lives together as they crawl through the digestive tract and are slowly dissolving in the bowels of an eldritch horror that ate them after they accidentally summoned it due to a particularly fierce marital spat.

Richard Linklater's Before Digestion.

This would hands down be the scariest movie ever made to me and I would never watch it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BrownPepper posted:

What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

I could argue The Haunting if only because Robert Wise isn't really known for any one genre.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
man, like nothing is more of a happy surprise for me than finding out moorhead and benson have a new movie out. had never heard of “something in the dirt” til getting caught up in this thread. watching now.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Origami Dali posted:

What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WpaZpRPbU

Depending on your definition of public.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Something in the Dirt is really good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HK5000 posted:

Happy Return of the Living Dead Day everybody!

I've never seen it, and it just popped up on Shudder, so that's what I'm doing tonight

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've never seen it, and it just popped up on Shudder, so that's what I'm doing tonight

I'm so jealous, I would love to watch it again for the first time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ROTLD: Frank's genial dad humor just makes this movie for me.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Origami Dali posted:

What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

Halloween (2018) has a pretty effective one. I'm a little lukewarm on the movie overall but that gas station sequence is one of the parts that works very well imo.

I don't know about best, but this one from The Relic is memorable to me. Would loving hate it if a big green monster yanked me off the toilet like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBym5z6rgM

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Maniac (1980) has an extended sequence in the New York subway that ends up in the public bathroom (which dates the movie quite a bit, but I digress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6Mf-UPYv4

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Please do us a favor and check in afterwards with your initial thoughts.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just remembered a scene from The Redeemer: Son of Satan (aka Class Reunion Massacre) where a guy in a clown mask drowns someone in the sink of a school and it was kinda intense compared to the rest of the movie.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
bathroom scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYe_FbhxAA

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Origami Dali posted:

Easy

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HK5000 posted:

Please do us a favor and check in afterwards with your initial thoughts.

Movie was an absolute blast. I really should have gotten to it sooner. I love that genre of people trapped in a place with monsters.

Zwabu posted:

ROTLD: Frank's genial dad humor just makes this movie for me.

It's so good. I also like Burt and Ernie a lot too. I love Ernie's concern for the rabid weasels. The central conceit is way more existentially horrifying than other zombie movies too. Given the position, can't say I blame them for wanting those sweet sweet brains.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ROTLD was, until I saw It's Such A Beautiful Day, my pick for scariest horror movie - just because of the zombie on the table giving the most existential reason possible as to why they eat brains. Turns the stomach. It's such a wild, funny film, yet also deeply horrifying all the way until the absolutely grim (and again, hilarious) ending.

About to start my thread-mandated watch to celebrate!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I really love how much of Return of the Living Dead is about loving up at work and trying to cover it up so you don't get yelled at.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also re public bathroom didn’t The Night Flyer have a pretty scary airport bathroom scene?

I feel like there have been many many good horror scenes in public bathrooms because the whole setup with stalls lends itself to either victims or monsters hiding in the stalls. But aside from Candyman not much is jumping to mind right now.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Hollismason posted:

Something in the Dirt is really good.

gently caress yeah it was

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lumbermouth posted:

I really love how much of Return of the Living Dead is about loving up at work and trying to cover it up so you don't get yelled at.

I love how calm he is when he calls Bert. "Bert, yeah we got a little problem"

Fun fact : There exists a version of the graveyard dance where Linnea Quigley has pubic hair. However, the producer saw it and said we can't have that so then they had Quigley shave everything off, then they were like "That's worse you can see everything" , then they developed a prosthesis that was flesh colored to cover up her vagina. That's why she looks like a Barbie doll.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 4, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me Return of the Living Dead is the ultimate horror/comedy. The absolute perfect balance of comedy and horror where it's legit scary in certain scenes while also being one of the funniest horror movies out there. I actually think it's the best zombie film ever made.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The bathroom scene in Blue Ruin is such a powerful tone setter of how gnarly that movie is going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWZO_QOjdE

Basebf555 posted:

For me Return of the Living Dead is the ultimate horror/comedy. The absolute perfect balance of comedy and horror where it's legit scary in certain scenes while also being one of the funniest horror movies out there. I actually think it's the best zombie film ever made.

:hmmyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its too bad that RTOLD 2 is such a decline in quality compared to the first.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Species, when Sil rips the woman's spine out through the restroom wall.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Shout Factory UHD of ROTLD is great - I never before paid attention to the inscription above the church door, the names on the graves in the cemetery, or the scribbles on the notes in the office and now you can see them perfectly. The half-zombie puppet looks nastier than ever, too. Very cool way to rewatch this movie.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Hollismason posted:

I love how calm he is when he calls Bert. "Bert, yeah we got a little problem"

Fun fact : There exists a version of the graveyard dance where Linnea Quigley has pubic hair. However, the producer saw it and said we can't have that so then they had Quigley shave everything off, then they were like "That's worse you can see everything" , then they developed a prosthesis that was flesh colored to cover up her vagina. That's why she looks like a Barbie doll.

Didn’t this same thing happen with the actress in Lifeforce? The 80s were a weird time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 13, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The beat where the Zombies themselves call in the cops (to possess them) is *chefs kiss*

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Hollismason posted:

Its too bad that RTOLD 2 is such a decline in quality compared to the first.

Whilst I agree on the drop in quality, I regret sleeping on the two subsequent sequels for so long. They're great in their own ways.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Who would be an ideal director for Diablo?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Speaking of specific places for horror, I made a list of movies where very bad things happen on commercial airlines, since I personally really hate flying. Die Hard 2's crash scene is particularly upsetting for what is otherwise a goofy action trifle.

I don't think they thought that part through very well. Driving off as the credits roll over Christmas music was fine in the first movie because they saved all the hostages. But in the 2nd one they do the same thing only there's 200 bodies still smoking on the runway 100 yards away. Hits a bit different IMO.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Hausu Usher posted:

Whilst I agree on the drop in quality, I regret sleeping on the two subsequent sequels for so long. They're great in their own ways.

ROTLD3 is so good, it was one of the first horror films I saw when I was getting seriously into the genre in junior high (late night Canadian TV gave no fucks which was how I saw a lot of stuff in the late 90s).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Happy Fourth of July!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uncle Sam looks quite feminine here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gatts posted:

Who would be an ideal director for Diablo?

Brian Yuzna

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Uncle Sam looks quite feminine here.

I can't believe I have to say this,

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Hollismason posted:

Happy Fourth of July!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WM-J3-dA1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Origami Dali posted:

Probably the only good scene from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C85LeOZeZHY