Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its also interesting because it feels like you can track the tone and meaning of the game shifting as you see its development from the demo to the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

The Bee posted:

Its also interesting because it feels like you can track the tone and meaning of the game shifting as you see its development from the demo to the DLC.

Yeah, like there is something kinda magical about the demo's simplicity, even if I do enjoy the whole package. Theres a lot of dangling threads, and thats fine and reasonable because the game was never finished, so it makes sense that it feels incomplete

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Play the Live A Live remake, it rules hard.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play the Live A Live remake, it rules hard.

Actually yeah. This is a good option.

Its probably the best SNES RPG to never get an official english translation until the recent remake.

Edit: Also this is probably old news but last month Yoko Shimomura and Toby Fox had an interview about Megalomania's influence on Megalovania. https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/live-a-live-yoko-shimomura-toby-fox-pt-1

So just another reason to play Live A Live if you havent.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 2, 2023

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ash Rose posted:

Have you ever given Oneshot a try? it flew under the radar for a lot of folks but it came out around Undertale and was playing with some of the same ideas as it.

Oneshot! I did play that, it was absolutely wonderful, I played through the finished thing. Genuinely great.

The Bee posted:

I got this feeling too! Given the game's narrative that added something special.

JuniperCake posted:

Its probably the best SNES RPG to never get an official english translation until the recent remake.

This is one of those games I haven't played but the name will not stop popping up in my life, I know nothing about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If nothing else give the soundtrack a listen Yoko did a fantastic job updating it and it's boss theme, Megalomania is where Megalovania derived it's name from.

Is what I would say if SE isn't insistent on taking it down on youtube.

Completely unrelated check out this song from a UT fangame real good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_MKOlfXKmY

The whole channel has music you can't find anywhere else :)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Neuronyx posted:

This is one of those games I haven't played but the name will not stop popping up in my life, I know nothing about it.

Play it blind imo. There's some really interesting things that it does that will hit better if you don't know they are coming.

If money is an issue, you can download the fan patch and play the SNES rom on emulator. The remake is really good and is definitely more polished but the original still holds up.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 2, 2023

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ohh wow, I'll give a listen. If anything because some parts of the Undertale fan scene produce some shockingly good quality content. My younger niece got way into some of the AUs which is how I noticed.

She has a good head on her shoulders thank god, she's smart enough to avoid the more toxic aspects of the fandom. Of fandoms in general, really.

E: God drat, that song. :slick:

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 2, 2023

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

JuniperCake posted:

Play it blind imo. There's some really interesting things that it does that will hit better if you don't know they are coming.

If money is an issue, you can download the fan patch and play the SNES rom on emulator. The remake is really good and is definitely more polished but the original still holds up.

Alright you sumbitches convinced me, it's hard for me to ignore the last straw, someone telling me "go in blind" because that tells me the game may be something special. I'll grab the remake.

E: Just so happens the steam page is streaming a guy talking about the game and his inspirations, i'm assuming it's the dev. I like this guy.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

another life saved

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JuniperCake posted:

Edit: Also this is probably old news but last month Yoko Shimomura and Toby Fox had an interview about Megalomania's influence on Megalovania. https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/live-a-live-yoko-shimomura-toby-fox-pt-1

just a heads-up, I wouldn't recommend looking at this interview if you haven't played Live A Live

and conversely, absolutely do if you have, Toby mentions some inspirations that seem blindingly obvious in retrospect

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Impermanent posted:

The undertale like that I physically recoiled from was Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. The content warning is probably not descriptive enough for what the game throws at you.

Jimmy is something I paradoxically can't not recommend hard enough despite being a fan of it. It's an astounding amount of effort and polish poured into a massive game, clearly built with love and care, and absolutely succeeds at what it sets out to do... which is make you feel like loving garbage to your core. If you ever wanted to simultaneously feel like you're dying from cancer AND watching a loved one die from cancer and not being able to do anything about it, it's the perfect game for you! There is absolutely no catharsis to be had here. It will stick with me for the rest of my life in the worst ways possible. :smithicide:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

(Live A Live spoilers, don't read this Neuronyx)

Toby Fox posted:

People familiar with my previous works may feel the need to say “Wait, that’s not all! Didn’t THAT take inspiration from LIVE a LIVE, too!?” … You would be right. I don’t want to mention this here, but... Do you know “Garfield”? I once made a really bad joke game in RPG Maker were the last boss was a giant version of Odie, called “ODIE-O”.

(No one in the room knows who Garfield is.)

Let’s not talk about this anymore.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

While I'm here, check out Moon: RPG Remix if you want more games that inspired Undertale

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Procrastine posted:

While I'm here, check out Moon: RPG Remix if you want more games that inspired Undertale

This looks weird as gently caress. So yeah that tracks. In retrospect it's cool and hilariously obvious seeing what inspired Toby.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Moon also set off a whole wide family tree of games involving people who had worked on it; ones the average western gamer would be most likely to have heard of include Chulip, Chibi-Robo, Contact, Tingle's Freshly Picked Rosy Rupeeland, and Little King's Story

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 2, 2023

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

chibi robo is such a charming game, I love it to death

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

The Bee posted:

I'm confused, what game are you talking about? OneShot didn't have DLC?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

McFrugal posted:

I'm confused, what game are you talking about? OneShot didn't have DLC?

The Solstice update for OneShot, my bad. Forgot that it wasn't paid.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also recommending Live a Live if you're looking for something you can play and be like "Oh, that's where Toby got that" like every ten minutes

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I think I heard 'indie rpg called jimmy and the pulsating mass' and was like "oh you play a kid dying of cancer in a dreamworld then I assume" and was right

also omori is great

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I think I heard 'indie rpg called jimmy and the pulsating mass' and was like "oh you play a kid dying of cancer in a dreamworld then I assume" and was right

also omori is great

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

How did you manage to double post over an hour apart

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I do whatever I want

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I have been working out!

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Farg posted:

also omori is great

FWIW Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass doesn't treat that as a twist or reveal as such, so predicting that doesn't really matter.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Greaseman posted:

FWIW Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass doesn't treat that as a twist or reveal as such, so predicting that doesn't really matter.

If anything that's why the game is SO effective: none of the imagery or themes are the slightest bit subtle, but it's just vague and infrequent enough to fill you with false hope that things will turn out okay until you're really forced to accept the reality of the situation. The fact that the game is like a fully-fledged feature length RPG is really necessary to make it work, I think; like, you really get invested with the characters and world and you WANT things to turn out okay despite all the evidence to the contrary. It's like if the only ending to Chrono Trigger was 'But the future refused to change' or something :smith:

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4VY4B_FTg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I adore the way this guy renders all the Deltarune characters.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

:same: :kimchi:

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

It takes so much work to make these characters in Blender too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA-uAw1Evs

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

That style of rendering is so perfect for these characters, ALSO don't forget to turn captions on for that video, it's adorable.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Amazing. The rest of the videos are worth a watch. The sweater one is probably my favorite.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I don't remember seeing this when it first came out, but the Youtube algorithm's shown this to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iRRwhYViM

They've gotten deltarune's animaton style down great and I love what a sassy little poo poo Kris is.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got on the deltarune train a little late (initially fell off of ch1 on release not really getting too into it, but went thru em both hard right when ch2 got released) but the whole internet lightning in a bottle buzz of ch2 of Sept-Oct 2021was honest to god one of the most fun times i've ever had on the internet. listening to the soundtrack over and over, cracking up at fanart/memes, watching prediction youtubes, reading every single post in this thread when the snowgrave route was first discovered and people weren't sure if it was legit or not. It was just so much fun.

With september around the corner I find myself wanting to play it again but I think I'd enjoy more seeing some let's plays instead. Is there a consensus on what is the best LP to watch that is very thorough and experienced in addition to an LP that is very blind but also thorough? or a combo of both if there's multiple people - one with no experience and one with lots of experience playing along? I'd love to watch something like that just to relive that magic of the other Fall...call it the Outer Wilds syndrome :cry:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I got on the deltarune train a little late (initially fell off of ch1 on release not really getting too into it, but went thru em both hard right when ch2 got released) but the whole internet lightning in a bottle buzz of ch2 of Sept-Oct 2021was honest to god one of the most fun times i've ever had on the internet. listening to the soundtrack over and over, cracking up at fanart/memes, watching prediction youtubes, reading every single post in this thread when the snowgrave route was first discovered and people weren't sure if it was legit or not. It was just so much fun.

With september around the corner I find myself wanting to play it again but I think I'd enjoy more seeing some let's plays instead. Is there a consensus on what is the best LP to watch that is very thorough and experienced in addition to an LP that is very blind but also thorough? or a combo of both if there's multiple people - one with no experience and one with lots of experience playing along? I'd love to watch something like that just to relive that magic of the other Fall...call it the Outer Wilds syndrome :cry:

How advantageous: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038158

An LP of Chapter 2 of Deltarune just started up right here on SA this morning.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oops, should've mentioned I was looking for something in video form but I could always check that out when it's done

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It is incredibly slow, but there is Laurentheflute's playthrough.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I don't remember this being posted here, so I'm doing it now, a year after it was made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7gg4jpdwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/RealYouTubeKids/status/1685743338316611585