Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

putting the die in diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they love drink-driving

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

exmarx posted:

they love drink-driving

they talk about "getting a DUI" like it's the most natural thing in the world and just a part of life but if you try to cross the street where there isn't a marked crossing then a thousand vigilantes will gun you down for the crime of Jaywalking

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

it's about 50% lack of functional public transport infrastructure and 50% wanting to die historic on the fury road

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
inventing

John Charity Spring posted:

the crime of Jaywalking

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

John Charity Spring posted:

they talk about "getting a DUI" like it's the most natural thing in the world and just a part of life but if you try to cross the street where there isn't a marked crossing then a thousand vigilantes will gun you down for the crime of Jaywalking

I thought it was germany where people cared about jaywalking through an empty road. Everyone does it in america to the point where it's a culture shock in a place where it's frowned upon.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PoundSand posted:

I thought it was germany where people cared about jaywalking through an empty road. Everyone does it in america to the point where it's a culture shock in a place where it's frowned upon.

lol try just walking across the street in front of a random US metro cop and see what happens

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
:d2a:

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Well sure pigs will already harass you without good reason so naturally giving them an excuse isn't going to play well but that poster said "vigilantes" like random other pedestrians on the sidewalks would give a poo poo and that's not a thing in any city I've been in.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PoundSand posted:

Well sure pigs will already harass you without good reason so naturally giving them an excuse isn't going to play well but that poster said "vigilantes" like random other pedestrians on the sidewalks would give a poo poo and that's not a thing in any city I've been in.

the cars will try to hit you because they know you're jaywalking lmfao

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

the cars will try to hit you because they know you're jaywalking lmfao

The trick to jaywalking is to walk across a road when there aren't cars, not like directly into traffic.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Celebrate the day some rich guys wrote a letter instead of the day the French navy won their independence for them

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

PoundSand posted:

The trick to jaywalking is to walk across a road when there aren't cars, not like directly into traffic.

some of us live in cities

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

see also: loitering

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

PoundSand posted:

I hadn't even heard the word "jaywalking" until my late teens because outside of America it's just "crossing the road"

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

some of us live in cities

Use one of the crosswalks then?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Feral Integral posted:

Use one of the crosswalks then?

lmfao what crosswalks this is an american city

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

never heard of anyone getting in trouble for jaywalking, but then I don't live in a big govt blue state

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Obsessed with blowing poo poo up to celebrate July 4th - leading to shitloads of preventable injuries and fires

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh wow are nonamericans too pussy for fireworks now?? how do you guys walk around without crying from overstimulation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
fireworks are for babies

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ColdBlooded posted:

Obsessed with blowing poo poo up to celebrate July 4th - leading to shitloads of preventable injuries and fires

lol yeah

one positive benefit of my old rear end cat going deaf is that fireworks don't bother him anymore. the dog never cared but when fireworks would go off he'd try to get me to hide with him. he'd meow at me to follow him and then go hide under the bed or tug at my shirt to get me to get up and follow him to hide. i guess if you think it's the end of the world you gotta bring the thing that feeds you with you, it's kind of important.

now he just snoozes which is nice for him.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

never heard of anyone getting in trouble for jaywalking, but then I don't live in a big govt blue state

its a east/west thing. in philly you walk anywhere, anytime. in san francisco we were visiting and the guy is like, "wait dont cross yet!" and there were no cars in sight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't cross the street bc people be crazy with their cars. They can come out of anywhere

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everyone seems way more obsessed with safety this year from what i've seen. the bbq i'm attending isn't even allowing them but we're in drought so it's understandable

it was tradition every year to light and roll a mortar shell toward the rest of us and then give an alert to flee. getting old sucks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

its a east/west thing. in philly you walk anywhere, anytime. in san francisco we were visiting and the guy is like, "wait dont cross yet!" and there were no cars in sight.

In Philadelphia cars, trucks, bikes, pedestrians, animals, and everything else use the street/sidewalk whenever and however they please. Each intersection is a contest of wills between who wants to go more. As a pedestrian the most important thing to have is a willingness to fling your body into traffic with reckless abandon. You'll probably be fine! It's wonderful and I hate other cities where this isn't the case. That's just a light! It can't hurt you! That's just a sign! It's not in charge of you!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they call some types of burgers "sandwiches"

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Can't blow things up safely and have to contrive a silly dangerous way to do it.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol yeah

one positive benefit of my old rear end cat going deaf is that fireworks don't bother him anymore. the dog never cared but when fireworks would go off he'd try to get me to hide with him. he'd meow at me to follow him and then go hide under the bed or tug at my shirt to get me to get up and follow him to hide. i guess if you think it's the end of the world you gotta bring the thing that feeds you with you, it's kind of important.

now he just snoozes which is nice for him.

This is incredibly cute I love it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Portland has the best pedestrian culture it’s almost mind boggling how prone for disaster we are here

Driving culture is to stop for pedestrians at any unsignaled intersection, crosswalk or not, and I’d estimate from my many years of walking and jogging that you can count on traffic stopping to let you cross about 80% of the time, the vast majority of the time, but not 100% of the time

You can see the problem, I’m sure

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fireworks kick rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
firing their guns into the air as a replacement for fireworks

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
dogs need to harden the gently caress up

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

dogs need to harden the gently caress up

When I was a kid the neighborhood bully got in trouble one year for holding a Roman candle like a wand and shooting it at the kindly old golden retriever that lived on the block

Poor pup

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

When I was a kid the neighborhood bully got in trouble one year for holding a Roman candle like a wand and shooting it at the kindly old golden retriever that lived on the block

Poor pup
i first read this as bully [dog breed], and figured at least one dog had hardened the gently caress up

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

exmarx posted:

they call some types of burgers "sandwiches"

is a party melt an sandwich?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
this mf just said “party melt”

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001