Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I shriveled into dust and blew away with the wind after asking some baby faced guy for ID, and he was born around the time I graduated from high school. ...ow...my olds....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have coworkers now who weren’t born yet when I started working at the store. One of whom has been coming into the store to shop with his parents since he was a baby.

I’ll never forget the look on his face when I told him I had to help clean his pee up off the floor 15 years ago; it was extremely entertaining.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Guess who is unemployed again

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

This job aint half bad. I take like 30 orders my whole shift while cleaning stuff. Since they need someone to do that stuff overnight my hours wont be hosed with. I don't need to get stuff from the magical world of "The Back", no secret shoppers, no plague bearers leaning over my back while I'm trying to work, just me and the cook are inside, no people leaving hand wipes all over the floor all shift that I constantly have to pick up. And I get free soda and 50% off my meals, which imo is a much better perk than crappy IOUs that I can't cash out until I retire.

I take everything back, gently caress this place

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Guess who is unemployed again

poo poo that sucks. Planned on your part or unexpected?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm assuming

quote:

my hours wont be hosed with
stopped being true

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Fast food establishments suffer from see-saw management.

A permissive staff friendly management comes in, sales and efficiency drop, the store makes a loss. The franchise notices replaces the easygoing manager with a tyrant, the staff leave in droves and nothing gets done.

The cycle repeats itself. Sure this is true in most industries?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
It's a strange view endemic to a lot of large scale organisations. Wasn't retail but my team had issues filling contracts for permanent positions. The operations lead insisted it was because we made things too good for the casual workforce and we needed to be harder and gently caress with their rosters a bit more.

I insisted we needed to incentivise full-time work more and make it something worthwhile rather than coming down hard on people. Mine and some of the other leads' careers (at that company) died on that hill from it and now their workforce has no experienced workers left.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sad King Billy posted:

Fast food establishments suffer from see-saw management.

A permissive staff friendly management comes in, sales and efficiency drop, the store makes a loss. The franchise notices replaces the easygoing manager with a tyrant, the staff leave in droves and nothing gets done.

The cycle repeats itself. Sure this is true in most industries?

This is happening at my store right now, with the added bonus that the store keeps getting even more nightmarishly busy so the people who came to the job expecting 'lol burger flipping easy' are starting to either hand in notices or just stop coming in. Also as summer goes on the school leavers start finding other summer jobs and still no-one in management notices the pattern and maybe we should be going harder to hire more full timers and rely less on people who aren't even in the city 8 months of the year.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ErKeL posted:

It's a strange view endemic to a lot of large scale organisations. Wasn't retail but my team had issues filling contracts for permanent positions. The operations lead insisted it was because we made things too good for the casual workforce and we needed to be harder and gently caress with their rosters a bit more.

I insisted we needed to incentivise full-time work more and make it something worthwhile rather than coming down hard on people. Mine and some of the other leads' careers (at that company) died on that hill from it and now their workforce has no experienced workers left.

this happened at the zoo I used to work for; almost every employee was classified as seasonal, and was part time, so no benefits. now this was 15 years ago, but the pay was capped at $13 an hour. most people made about $8. then a new person took over last year, and while I don't know about benefits, across the board the pay went to $15 an hour.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turns out paying more money is a great way to retain staff.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
"Nobody wants to work any more!!!" is generally "nobody wants to work for your company any more" and it's usually because what somebody else is offering sucks a little less than what the company does

good luck convincing a manager or owner though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lord Awkward posted:

"Nobody wants to work any more!!!" is generally "nobody wants to work for your company any more" and it's usually because what somebody else is offering sucks a little less than what the company does

good luck convincing a manager or owner though

I liked hearing HR in weekly meetings talk about the expanded unemployment back in 2020 as a reason no one was applying

the highest weighted store wage was somewhere between $11 and $12 per hour and that was the store with one of the highest paid managers ($17!!!) and payroll budget so low that there could only be one person working per hour of the day without it going over budget

hell I think I made more money off of unemployment when they laid me off later that year from corpo job because i was getting snippy about this and other bullshit

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

hell I think I made more money off of unemployment when they laid me off later that year from corpo job because i was getting snippy about this and other bullshit

I know I did.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
My last job was only paying me $12/hour after I had been there for about 15 years and I hadn't had a raise since before COVID. The actual full-time employees only got a dollar more than I did (I wasnt full-time despite having the most exeriemce at that store, and that's a whole other pile of bullshit). I finally started making a stink about it and demanded (not asked for) a raise for me, as well as everyone else else that had moved from the old smaller store to the new bigger one (bur mostly for me). I was let go less than a week later. Less than a week after that, I was hired at a charity thrift store that pays better (not hard, but i started at 14, went up to 15 after 90 days, and they do yearly raises), with full-time hours and paid holidays, and better retirement plan/insurance options.

Plus I barely ever have to deal with customers or even my coworkers for most of the day - I sit in a garage bay waiting for people to drop off donations and spend most of my time browsing SA or filling up adult coloring books (so many flowers and animals). Also, we have a bunch of retired old ladies who volunteer and they like to bake so I've probably put on some weight from all the cookies amd desserts they make. :3:

It's sad that a literal charity organization is offering more and better than my old boss did. And he wonders why he can't keep his stores staffed.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 3, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Thing is, I was originally gonna put in a 2 week anyways. I wanted to put it in last Friday but the manager left earlier than expected and wouldn't be back until today.

Sunday, the one before the 4th of july? How many front end employees do you think is needed? The manager thought loving ONE person could do it. Dine in and drive thru. And when I finally got a second person, when the second cook left they kept going in the back to help the single cook we had so I was effectively alone up front again. And the people just kept. loving. Coming.

So I got mad. Near the end of my shift after multiple people came in, multiple cars came through, someone telling me how long the car line is. I threw my hat and went into the back of the building and shouted gently caress THIS PLACE

One of the customers heard, and had a direct line to the manager. Who shortly arrived and I said I want to quit right now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Honestly as much as it sucks to be out of work for a bit; it sounds like it’s probably the best thing for your mental well being based on what you’ve been telling us about the place.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There's a local fish store in my town, and it's been in business for over 30 years, and the owner's always in the store. But he can't keep any help for long, and he recently posted up on Facebook how people don't want to work anymore these days, kids just don't have the right mentality, we raised a generation of lazy people, people want everything handed to them and he's a hard-working businessman who's never gotten any breaks. But everybody wants a break from him and all kinds of raises and free things. I think he's offering just at minimum wage, no benefits, you have to have open availability and be an expert in freshwater, saltwater, and reptiles. And oddly enough most of the time Once high school kids realize what crud wages it is, they'll disappear. And other people quickly move on to other jobs where you're getting paid more and don't have to deal with animal bites.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think he's offering just at minimum wage, ... be an expert in freshwater, saltwater, and reptiles.

Every time. Will the retail world ever realize that if somebody is an expert in a field they'd go be employed in it at an advanced rate?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I recently had a customer drop by because she wanted to buy sulphuric acid for cleaning limescale off of a heating element, because someone had assured her it was the right option. She showed me the text message because I was dubious, and sure enough, they had. No mention of volume or concentration or anything. Just "dunk this thing into sulphuric acid and the limescale will come off." I had to get several coworkers to help me convince her that citric acid would do just fine before she destroyed the whole thing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Doomykins posted:

Every time. Will the retail world ever realize that if somebody is an expert in a field they'd go be employed in it at an advanced rate?

Sometimes after the world's economy really starts to collapse because there's literally no one doing the work anymore because no one pays enough to do it.

I keep trying to escape my job at Amazon but every time I look at Indeed at work it's all "Hey would you like 10x the work at $2/hour less than you make now?" Also I'm reminded about how much I hate the job posting that list "Make up to" a certain value.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

beats for junkies posted:

It's sad that a literal charity organization is offering more and better than my old boss did. And he wonders why he can't keep his stores staffed.

Well, they WERE running a charity there, not a business, so it sort of tracks!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Alkydere posted:

Sometimes after the world's economy really starts to collapse because there's literally no one doing the work anymore because no one pays enough to do it.

I keep trying to escape my job at Amazon but every time I look at Indeed at work it's all "Hey would you like 10x the work at $2/hour less than you make now?" Also I'm reminded about how much I hate the job posting that list "Make up to" a certain value.

I managed to escape my old job at Staples for one doing roughly the same job, just less responsibility and $2/hr more pay with better work/life balance. I got a call from them the other day asking me to go back, at a busier store, in a position above my old one, for the same money I am making now with worse benefits (new job pays for my transit pass, better health and dental, much better vision, and a much better 401(k) plan). It was all I could do to not laugh or add the word "gently caress" to my response of "no".

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I recently had a customer drop by because she wanted to buy sulphuric acid for cleaning limescale off of a heating element, because someone had assured her it was the right option. She showed me the text message because I was dubious, and sure enough, they had. No mention of volume or concentration or anything. Just "dunk this thing into sulphuric acid and the limescale will come off." I had to get several coworkers to help me convince her that citric acid would do just fine before she destroyed the whole thing.

I mean, they weren't wrong, they were just an rear end in a top hat

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of responsibilities, other issues I was having, which is why I was originally gonna do a 2 week anyways:

Having to keep track of sales and labor. If labor is too high I will have to send people home. And if that means its just me and 1 cook then so be it, tough poo poo.
Speaking of the 1 cook, it is expected that a cashier will take up cooking responsibilities during rush. So even if I do have a second cashier up front, they'll go to the back during the times I REALLY loving NEED SOME HELP
Having to answer to the district manager who calls at 5 and 8 pm on the dot, expects me to answer immediately and tell him the sales and drive thru times
The drive thru times, which needs to be under 3:30 for afternoon and 4 minutes for dinner. The timer doesn't start when we send in the order, you know when the customer stops talking. No it starts as soon as they drive up. People absolutely blow through the drive thru time just placing their order.
To keep the timer down, we are expected to tell people to park up front. Which is great because the only grace of the drive thru is that there will be a point where orders simply cannot be taken because the drive thru is full of cars. Instead just push them ahead so now you have another person placing an order WHICH IS GREAT WHEN YOU'RE ALONE AND NEED PEOPLE TO STOP SHOWING UP
Also people get pissy being asked to pull up. And then you have to waste time bringing the order to the car.
And since there is such a focus on the drive thru times, this comes at the expense of dine in customers. Who then get mad. I've been having people leaning over the counter and going YEAH HELLO?! cause apparently they can't see me actively talking to and doing a transaction for a car at the window I'm standing at. Cause I'm alone cause why have a second employee to take care of dine in while the other takes care of the drive thru when you can just pay 1 person to do it instead?
Also I can't speak Spanish at all so instead of having literally any of the other Spanish speakers be up front with me, I would have to call over one of the cooks to take those orders. Which slows things down even more. I've been told that customers think I'm lying cause I look Portuguese. I am loving Portuguese, but my dad was a loving deadbeat who didn't teach me anything

And then there is the fact they were basically throwing the responsibilities of being an assistant manager without any of the pay. Yeah, the AM who quit? I inherited her stuff. And what was I getting paid for dealing with all of this poo poo? A whopping 50 cents above minimum wage. 4 whole extra dollars per full shift, but really its more 3 bucks after uncle sam takes his cut. Which aint poo poo in 2023.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm glad for you dude, nothing worse than getting the false promotion. And gently caress pushy bosses that want the impossible.

Leal posted:

Also people get pissy being asked to pull up. And then you have to waste time bringing the order to the car.

Any time a fast food joint asks me to park so they can bring food out sucks and I kind of mentally check out of going there for a few months. I sympathize that they're understaffed but it's always a bad sign.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Did everything I could tonight to be able to GTFO 5 minutes after closing. Customer rocks up with a multi piece international shipment at 5 of. :negative:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Doomykins posted:

I sympathize that they're understaffed

Don't. They're understaffed for a loving reason.

(with the ownership/management I mean, by all means sympathize with the staff)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

OH MY loving GOD.

HE BALKED AT THE PRICE AND LEFT.

MY DUDE, YOU ARE SHIPPING A PAIR OF 30 POUND BOXES TO loving LIBYA THROUGH A COMPANY WITH "EXPRESS" IN THE NAME.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 4, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

OH MY loving GOD.

MY DUDE, YOU ARE SHIPPING A PAIR OF 30 POUND BOXES TO loving LIBYA THROUGH A COMPANY WITH "EXPRESS" IN THE NAME.

Xmas eve many years ago, ten minutes before close, customer came in and wanted a quote to send something to Zimbabwe. She did not have anything boxed up. She did not know how many items. She wanted a quote. I tried to get her a quote, and the system poo poo itself and said basically NO QUOTE TODAY. So I tried a few more times before telling her I couldn't get a quote, the shipping computer wasn't working.

She stormed out. Store closes. I lock the doors, hit the lights, do the cash counts. The phone rings. I look at the phone. I don't want to answer the phone.

I answer the phone.

It's the customer service line wanting to know why I refused a customer.

It's 15 minutes after closing now. I'm told to let her back in, restart the computer, and get a quote. I do this, because she is at the door with a smirk I would love to kick to the curb.

I let her in. Restart the computer. Her henpecked half-dead looking husband won't look at me while she tirades about customer service.

But this time she brought some of the items in. They're plastic kids' furniture, like a table and chair set, a little slide.

I get a rough estimate for a single box sized for the table and chairs, about a 2 foot cube or so. $800.

The screams as she accuses me of ruining the lives of orphans, these are for orphans in Zimbabwe, and she grabs up the stuff while her husband takes the rest back to the car, shrieking the entire time.

I lock the door and mentally burn them both up. I remember starting to cry because I was sure this would be a reason my transfer would be denied after I got the new position. Thankfully no one ever asked about her or why I didn't get out on Xmas eve till 30 minutes after close.

If I ever get mutant powers, a lot of people are gonna be on the news.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Leal posted:

And then there is the fact they were basically throwing the responsibilities of being an assistant manager without any of the pay. Yeah, the AM who quit? I inherited her stuff. And what was I getting paid for dealing with all of this poo poo? A whopping 50 cents above minimum wage. 4 whole extra dollars per full shift, but really its more 3 bucks after uncle sam takes his cut. Which aint poo poo in 2023.

Yeah gently caress everything about that, especially the last bit. I hope you find a much better job

Kilonum posted:

OH MY loving GOD.

:laffo:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Xmas eve many years ago, ten minutes before close, customer came in and wanted a quote to send something to Zimbabwe. She did not have anything boxed up. She did not know how many items. She wanted a quote. I tried to get her a quote, and the system poo poo itself and said basically NO QUOTE TODAY. So I tried a few more times before telling her I couldn't get a quote, the shipping computer wasn't working.

She stormed out. Store closes. I lock the doors, hit the lights, do the cash counts. The phone rings. I look at the phone. I don't want to answer the phone.

I answer the phone.

It's the customer service line wanting to know why I refused a customer.

It's 15 minutes after closing now. I'm told to let her back in, restart the computer, and get a quote. I do this, because she is at the door with a smirk I would love to kick to the curb.

I let her in. Restart the computer. Her henpecked half-dead looking husband won't look at me while she tirades about customer service.

But this time she brought some of the items in. They're plastic kids' furniture, like a table and chair set, a little slide.

I get a rough estimate for a single box sized for the table and chairs, about a 2 foot cube or so. $800.

The screams as she accuses me of ruining the lives of orphans, these are for orphans in Zimbabwe, and she grabs up the stuff while her husband takes the rest back to the car, shrieking the entire time.

I lock the door and mentally burn them both up. I remember starting to cry because I was sure this would be a reason my transfer would be denied after I got the new position. Thankfully no one ever asked about her or why I didn't get out on Xmas eve till 30 minutes after close.

If I ever get mutant powers, a lot of people are gonna be on the news.

And you learned the lesson of never answering the phone after the store is closed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

And you learned the lesson of never answering the phone after the store is closed.

the only reason i did was because I hadn't clocked out yet. the lady was visible in the parking lot, and I was worried if I did leave the phone ringing, they would have canceled my transfer.

some days you know bad poo poo is coming, but if you try to avoid it, it ends up as much worse poo poo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kilonum posted:

OH MY loving GOD.

This is why when I don't want to deal with a customer for whatever reason, I just quote them the upper limit of pricing and shipping time for whatever we're talking about, then shrug helplessly when they shake their heads and say that it's something they can't work with. What a terrible shame they're going to have to go and bother someone else. Coincidentally the same thing that happens whenever someone asks for a discount.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Look, customers who are in the store when and after we close, I don't give a poo poo if you steal half our loving store under your jacket, when I tell you we're closed, what I really mean is "Get the gently caress out."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

This is why when I don't want to deal with a customer for whatever reason, I just quote them the upper limit of pricing and shipping time for whatever we're talking about, then shrug helplessly when they shake their heads and say that it's something they can't work with. What a terrible shame they're going to have to go and bother someone else. Coincidentally the same thing that happens whenever someone asks for a discount.

I usually told customers that I was only allowed to give them the dis, they'd have to go over my head for the count.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

delicious

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
1pm is, for some reason, our delivery cutoff for today delivery. All drivers are done by 3:30pm.

1:30 today, a store needed an order delivered and called dispatch to get an exception.

Dispatch declined.

Store called our delivery manager. He called dispatch, argued.

2pm the order was put on me. I head out to the pickup, get there about 40 minutes later, and order is done but not ready for pickup because the store wasn't told it needed to be done today. I wait for it, lightly talking with the manager, who doesn't see why I am in a rush. "Drivers are off at 5, right?"

I tell him no. And he does some bad math and figures I'll be done by 3:30 so it's no big deal, I need to not rush his workers.

About 3pm I head out to the receiving store. Takes about an hour to get there.

That manager is still on the phone with dispatch trying to find out if the order is being delivered today.

I arrive, give the order over. Manager unpacks it, and is snippy, saying she never got informed if it would be delivered today, and starts on about all the phone calls she's made. I tell her plainly I was off 30 minutes ago and still have a 30 minute trek back to my base. She offers a lame "thank you."

I relay all this poo poo to my manager because the lack of communication is so mind-bogglingly stupid. And also tell him to please let all the managers know we in fact are not off at loving 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

At Amazon, the Crying Cube has been joined (at least at my warehouse) by the HEATSTROKE TENT! Where you can heat-stroke it all night long!

Conveyor belt cuts off the pointed top but it's a full tent, probably cold inside (dunno, I didn't check: I stand at a desk with my own fan). Glad Amazon is taking the heat seriously this year...unlike previous years. Also they're doing better than UPS but that's not exactly hard. :v:

As a side note I'm 110% the sicko laughing in the window as the UPS strike looms. It's a shame their contract ends/strike begins after Prime Day because that would have been an amazing confluence of bullshit to watch fill up our dock.

Oh and it's Prime Day: the two day sales day event. I don't care: I don't really have money to spend and it's just a mandatory overtime shift for me. There's a bunch of raffle stuff but a) everyone forgets I exist so I don't get raffle tickets b) it's all camping/patio stuff and I neither have time to camp or a patio to enjoy c) who the gently caress wants to go outside right now!? Meanwhile I'm taking joy in doing everything I can to burst management's excitement about Prime Day. Including getting yelled at for going around the balloon arches at the entrance instead of through them and down the carpet.