Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Yinlock posted:

I suspect uptie 4 is going to cost a shitton of shards which is why we get this ridiculous windfall

I don't think they're going to cost a shitton of shards yet. To me, the big thing about adding shards to uptie costs is that it gives them a way to increase the price of uptying that doesn't involve sending the required thread count into the stratosphere. So, I'm assuming it's going to start at maybe 10-20 shards required (something that's more than you'd get in a day but not a significant fraction of what you'd need to unlock a full ID), so there's room to make Uptie 5 or something cost a shitload of shards a year from now.

EDIT: Oh, right, mirror dungeons give a lot more shards and people who buy the battle pass get three times as much as I do. Point is, I assume uptie 3.5 is going to be closer to "a F2P player can get enough to unlock one every few days" than "you can buy a decent ID for as much as this costs"

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think someone at Project Moon had a nightmare about deadlines or being back in high school again, and they told their co-workers about it and someone thought 'this could be an abnormality'? Because that's the vibe that new Homework Snake event gave me.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MD Hard delayed by a week, 1K sanity as compensation.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

SHE IS HERE FOR US

:allears: Fun color combo, TONS of Count, power boosts, Plus Coin Boost, a Count-counting Counter coin, a fun passive... I am in love, fully and truly. What a sick-rear end ident. :allears:

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1675809430418624512

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 3, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, that's really solid kit, it would require extraordinary lovely numbers for Liushmael to suck.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

She can self fuel Ardor Blossom Star, which besides being one of the hardest hitting EGO also gives a lot of burn, and she can always increase Burn Count if needed on her counter (which gives Wrath!)

Yeah Burn teams are no longer a Meme, and the best part is thanks to Support you can have a F2P friendly team with the Liu 00 IDs and idk, Nclair since he also gives burn and Lust?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'd argue using a 5th ID that has pierce/slash like RB Ryoshu, since Liu is mono-blunt aside from Meursault's S3.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
And I'd argue you'd want to pick up an ID with Gluttony so you can feed Liu Gregor with the bits he needs to use Legermain, otherwise your only source of AoE damage is Hong Lu's default EGO and Meursault Overclock Pursuance.

Spicebush Yi Sing could slot in and he's fairly reliable on his own and would have the EGO bits for Fourth Match Flame to slap more burn on enemies.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Grippy Faust has Whistles, and Liu has enough Lust to make using it early and often trivial, letting you spam Heads coins, get Liu Hong Lu running earlier, and use ABS and the like with abandon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ish looks good but seems like she requires a burn team or multiple actions per turn to excel, which puts her below the largely self-sufficient top IDs that can be dropped anywhere and have full functionality. e: It all really depends on how quickly Team Liu can hit the critical burn point where the burn just balloons out-of-control and melts everything

Useless counter and "if defeat /stagger enemy" effect aside though seems solid enough. It seems to be based around Ardor Blossom Star use

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

Ish looks good but seems like she requires a burn team or multiple actions per turn to excel, which puts her below the largely self-sufficient top IDs that can be dropped anywhere and have full functionality.

Useless counter and "if defeat /stagger enemy" effect aside though seems solid enough. It seems to be based around Ardor Blossom Star use
I don't think she needs a burn "team" so much as just Liu Hongle. Between the two of them they'd almost certainly be able to handle managing Burn count. Add in Nclair and you're basically good to go.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

I don't think she needs a burn "team" so much as just Liu Hongle. Between the two of them they'd almost certainly be able to handle managing Burn count. Add in Nclair and you're basically good to go.

The Liu kinda encourage you to go whole-hog with Burn with their "if enemy has x burn give them more burn" effects but that could definitely work. It mostly depends on if the payoff is worth spending that slot on.

I think full burn will shine in the Railway's stallier bosses

e: of course this is all from a dumb optimization nerd perspective, she's gonna smoke people either way

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 3, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There's enough EGO that inflict Burn that I'd prefer to lean on those rather than working in weaker Identities. All of the Burn EGO do at least 4 Burn and go up to 6 or 7, and if they're expecting you to use the Liu IDs with her then those higher bursts of Burn are almost certainly enough to kick off Liu Ishmael's bonuses. In particular the verbiage on S3 is "if they have Burn and Burn Count do more damage," which suggests it isn't scaling, so any extra probably won't further increase her damage. Liu Ishmael's S2 or S3 will inflict Count, so even with just her alone you'll be able to carry it over to the next turn 50% of the time.

You especially want to use Ryoshu with her (6 Burn on the base EGO), plus Chef Ryoshu can fuel all three requirements on Ardor Blossom Star.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As always it depends on numbers, if she's got enough burn count she can maintain burn on a target by herself she's gonna be extremely good. Or hell, she's got great coins, if the numbers are good on those she could just be an excellent DPS identity with some extra damage off of burns.

One way or the other though this is starting to look like one of Ish's best identities, especially if you don't wanna set up Shi.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Ish looks good but seems like she requires a burn team or multiple actions per turn to excel, which puts her below the largely self-sufficient top IDs that can be dropped anywhere and have full functionality. e: It all really depends on how quickly Team Liu can hit the critical burn point where the burn just balloons out-of-control and melts everything

One, it's not any more useless than any other counter. Feels a bit harsh. Two, look at this guy, says Plus Coin Drop is an amazing status effect because it permanently lowers their ability to clash, also says getting a permanent boost to clashes when your big attack successfully knocks someone to a lower health state is useless.

(But seriously, they're both effects that are there to give the ID more texture. They're kind of extraneous, this is just some light razzing.)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Liu IDs working best in a team is appropriate for the large scale warfare association so I like it 👍

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

lets hang out posted:

Liu IDs working best in a team is appropriate for the large scale warfare association so I like it 👍

yeah even if its ~suboptimal~ i'd be using them together anyway, one of the bonuses of the game just not being that hard outside of railway stuff. theme teams and throwing all your faves together is just fun

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
I think if this pans out my default N Corp Daily Crusher team might become something like Liu Ish / Greg / Hong, Gripclair, Bush-Sang. You've got Legerdemain fuel, you've got a very strong burn core, you could even throw on YS' Fourth Match Flame as a bonus option for taking the team into longer fights. You also get the benched version of Whistles which, after the passive revamp, is paradoxically easier to proc than the in-battle version (although it does make sense thematically) so you have an emergency release button to keep Sinclair from shooting his soup too often.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

One, it's not any more useless than any other counter. Feels a bit harsh. Two, look at this guy, says Plus Coin Drop is an amazing status effect because it permanently lowers their ability to clash, also says getting a permanent boost to clashes when your big attack successfully knocks someone to a lower health state is useless.

(But seriously, they're both effects that are there to give the ID more texture. They're kind of extraneous, this is just some light razzing.)

1) you are correct haha counters blow

2) I have a disdain for "on kill" abilities unless they're extremely, overwhelmingly good(tingtang), and trying to kill/stagger someone with a specific hit of a 4 coin attack is a fool's errand. otoh "After Attack" is fairly vague so it might be that the whole skill counts for it who knows

These aren't like massive flaws or huge dealbreakers or anything, as you said they're extraneous and she's still real good.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 3, 2023

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
after taking a long break and also just putting it off, I finally beat 4-54 and can do MD2! right in time for me to empty all the lunacy i got from beating ch4 into liu ish banner

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yinlock posted:

otoh "After Attack" is fairly vague so it might be that the whole skill counts for it who knows

Yes, that's a keyword that means that 'after the attack has completely resolved'.

Normally you see it attached to the attack, not a specific coin, though.

If I had to guess how it works: the attack needs all four coins to be present for it to occur, but it'll just proc once the attack is over if that fourth coin is present.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We have quite a few After Attack timed effects in the game already (e: and many of the on specific coins even, see Reprsentation Emitter) but most of them are on EGO, so they always go off so long as the attack itself does. The one attached to Liushmael’s S3C4 could very well… not go off (but has a good chance of still activating if she wasn’t the one that Staggered the target).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yinlock posted:

1) you are correct haha counters blow

2) I have a disdain for "on kill" abilities unless they're extremely, overwhelmingly good(tingtang), and trying to kill/stagger someone with a specific hit of a 4 coin attack is a fool's errand. otoh "After Attack" is fairly vague so it might be that the whole skill counts for it who knows

These aren't like massive flaws or huge dealbreakers or anything, as you said they're extraneous and she's still real good.

1) Fair. I don't think counters are as bad as people say they are, but they're held back by the hardest skills to clash all being giant super moves. There just aren't a ton of skills that are high clash/low damage, so it only really comes up when some random N Corp goon decides to use their best attack before you can get your sanity up. Maybe it'll come up more in hard mirror dungeons, since you'll probably have more normal attacks with inflated clash values, but I'm not holding out much hope.

2) Honestly, the fact that it's stagger or kill makes this kill payoff a lot more relevant than, say, Grip Sinclair's kill payoff on his third skill. If only because you're mostly done with a fight once you're killing enemies, and there's still potentially a lot of fight left if you're just staggering someone.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Shi Ishmael gets some value out of her counter by being able to still contribute damage while lowering her health for her S2 4-coin bonus to proc. Granted, that's really only Railway-relevant.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
Counter attacks are generally extremely powerful in setting up low-Sinner teams and many of the more recent Identities with counters have big benefits attached. Sunshower Heathcliff is entirely based on using his Counter and he uses it very very well. People who didn't come from Ruina and other games with similar mechanics massively overestimate the value of avoiding every single hit, and are WAY too scared of early Staggers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ariamaki posted:

Counter attacks are generally extremely powerful in setting up low-Sinner teams and many of the more recent Identities with counters have big benefits attached. Sunshower Heathcliff is entirely based on using his Counter and he uses it very very well. People who didn't come from Ruina and other games with similar mechanics massively overestimate the value of avoiding every single hit, and are WAY too scared of early Staggers.

I came from Ruina and HP Stagger is a whole different ball-game. Has it been so long that you've already forgotten the horrific poo poo that loving chicken could do to you if you let any one of it's attacks land.

I can safely say there will be absolutely no situation where Liu Ish wants to take a full attack, copping a Stagger if she's unlucky, in exchange for 1 burn count. You're right that Sun Heathcliff gets good use out of his, though he is an extreme outlier given that his counter has like 3 effects. e: also it's 2 coins??? if all counters were like this they wouldn't be such rear end

Junpei posted:

Shi Ishmael gets some value out of her counter by being able to still contribute damage while lowering her health for her S2 4-coin bonus to proc. Granted, that's really only Railway-relevant.

N Meursault can get some decent use out of his too, but it's not particularly good. Stronger than his skill 1 though damage-wise which is pretty funny

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 4, 2023

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Yinlock posted:

I came from Ruina and HP Stagger is a whole different ball-game. Has it been so long that you've already forgotten the horrific poo poo that loving chicken could do to you if you let any one of it's attacks land.

I can safely say there will be absolutely no situation where Liu Ish wants to take a full attack, copping a Stagger if she's unlucky, in exchange for 1 burn count. You're right that Sun Heathcliff gets good use out of his, though he is an extreme outlier given that his counter has like 3 effects. e: also it's 2 coins??? if all counters were like this they wouldn't be such rear end

N Meursault can get some decent use out of his too, but it's not particularly good. Stronger than his skill 1 though damage-wise which is pretty funny

Papa Bongy was a freak of nature and seemingly factory made to insta-gib Sinners, though.

Pithiness aside, I've always found the exact danger of a Stagger to be pretty contextual myself. Usually it's a matter of the speed stat either choosing to giveth or taketh away, but imo the later in a fight a Stagger happens the easier it is to regain your footing.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Game honestly could use more enemy attacks you can't reliably win clashes with just so that there was some incentive to consider an identity's and the Sinner's EGO's defensive potential also, and not just how good they're winning clashes.

Feels like the easiest way to make a 'challenging' Limbus combat would be to make an Abno battle style manual targeting fight where the enemies actually have fewer actions than your sinners do (so that not everybody has to be clashing every turn), but each action (or most of them at least) actually packed considerable oomph, so that you actually would have to consider poo poo like: taking identities that might not be as powerful but have useful utility if they can get one-sided hits in, or, you know, actually bringing a tank.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 4, 2023

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Theantero posted:

Game honestly could use more enemy attacks you can't reliably win clashes with just so that there was some incentive to consider an identity's and the Sinner's EGO's defensive potential also, and not just how good they're winning clashes.

Feels like the easiest way to make a 'challenging' Limbus combat would be to make an Abno battle style manual targeting fight where the enemies actually have fewer actions than your sinners do (so that not everybody has to be clashing every turn), but each action (or most of them at least) actually packed considerable oomph, so that you actually would have to consider poo poo like: taking identities that might not be as powerful but have useful utility if they can get one-sided hits in, or, you know, actually bringing a tank.

I bring Gregor into fights for that exact reason. Some things are harder to clash with but Gregor can at least regain life like a boss.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Theantero posted:

Well, the new Mirror Dungeon's got you covered on that one.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

Well, the new Mirror Dungeon's got you covered on that one.

Well, not really, because MD is mostly still auto-target mob fights, and even the buffed Abno fights are trivialized by sin resources being retained through fights. There is no real way to balance any battle in the game against 7 Sinners spamming EGO every turn until they win.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Junpei posted:

It also works extremely well in MDs, especially in MD 2 where you have enough enemies on floor 1 to comfortably get below 50% within a first few nodes and then enjoy monster Ishmael for next 4 floors.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

Theantero posted:

Well, not really, because MD is mostly still auto-target mob fights, and even the buffed Abno fights are trivialized by sin resources being retained through fights. There is no real way to balance any battle in the game against 7 Sinners spamming EGO every turn until they win.

boss passive makes ego cost 2x as much san, if you do it three turns in a row you're probably corroding on the spot

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

DuoRogue posted:

boss passive makes ego cost 2x as much san, if you do it three turns in a row you're probably corroding on the spot

you can't stop me

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DuoRogue posted:

Wait, which boss's passive?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Quackles posted:

Hypothetical future implementation.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

Quackles posted:

fortunately(?), not a real boss yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lurks With Wolves posted:

One, it's not any more useless than any other counter.

someone mentioned but N Meursalt is still the King of Counter, between him being tanky af and the counter slapping on some protection besides

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Google Jeb Bush posted:

someone mentioned but N Meursalt is still the King of Counter, between him being tanky af and the counter slapping on some protection besides

And if you land his second skill (?) a couple of time, he start to lose stagger, making in him unbreakable

L.U.I.G.I fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, you know people who really enjoyed Dark Flame in Ruina?

There's a gift in the new Mirror Dungeon-I bought it in a shop, not sure if it's somehow shop-exclusive or if there's an event for it-that makes it so that every resistance of every enemy are turned into Fatal. Across the board. Both damage type and Sin.

I killed Brazen Bull in a single turn with it.