Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

One of the complaints people have had about Spider-Man movies over the years is when they try to do too many villains in one film, instead of focusing on just one villain in a movie. This started with Spider-Man 3, where they're trying to juggle Sandman and Harry's Green Goblin and Venom all at the same time. It came up again in discussion about the Amazing Spider-Man movies, where ASM1 has just Dr. Connors as the Lizard, while ASM2 has both Harry's Green Goblin and Electro sharing screen-time. Spider-Man: No Way Home took that argument, directly lifted villains from the other Spider-Man movies, and crammed five villains into a single Spider-Man movie as some way to prove that it can be done. It's like they agreed with the argument for Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home by focusing on just one major villain for each movie, then decided to say "gently caress it" and take the whole rogue's gallery from the other movies and make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No Way Home doesn't actually work as a movie. It works as a collection of nostalgic references and memes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bawk posted:

One of the complaints people have had about Spider-Man movies over the years is when they try to do too many villains in one film, instead of focusing on just one villain in a movie. This started with Spider-Man 3, where they're trying to juggle Sandman and Harry's Green Goblin and Venom all at the same time.

Raimi really wanted to do Sandman plus conclude the Green Goblin stuff he'd set up in the earlier films but then the studio insisted he add Gwen Stacy and Venom "for the fans" so they all got crammed in there
https://web.archive.org/web/20070903164630/http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=41291

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
No Way Home used those many villains as props, not as characters. The story isn't about them; the real conflict is internal to Spider-Man. They're just there to provide the necessary action scenes, not to have their own stories.

Gaius Marius posted:

No Way Home doesn't actually work as a movie. It works as a collection of nostalgic references and memes.

And there's that, yeah. I wouldn't necessarily say that "not working on its own as a movie" is a fatal flaw for a movie that's third in a series and like 40th or whatever in a franchise, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Villain Inflation has been an issue in superhero movies before Spider-Man though, going back to the Batman movies.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
The number of villains in a movie has seemingly always corelated to the number that movie appears in the series, until No Way Home went all in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

Villain Inflation has been an issue in superhero movies before Spider-Man though, going back to the Batman movies.

I'm not googling that

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

An early example is Live and Let Die.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

An early example is Live and Let Die.

lmao

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Her" and "Outer Wilds" were released by the same company.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
Thank god for Annapurna (interactive, I've never seen Her)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Keith Starmer has changed his name to Keir Starmer, for some reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Keith Starmer has changed his name to Keir Starmer, for some reason.

And he sounds like a less-confident Alan Partridge.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The first line of Moby-Dick isn't "Call me Ishmael".

There's these two short and rambling prefaces before that, where two fictional researchers are introduced to talk about different words for whales, and list 80 different quotes about whales from old books.

And from the way they're written I don't think you can say that they're not part of the novel -- so this is the actual opening line: "The pale Usher—threadbare in coat, heart, body, and brain; I see him now."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Moon Monster posted:

Judged on how well they tormented the living? Do they get into super heaven if they give a toddler rabies?

It's a living...

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

rollick posted:

The first line of Moby-Dick isn't "Call me Ishmael".

There's these two short and rambling prefaces before that, where two fictional researchers are introduced to talk about different words for whales, and list 80 different quotes about whales from old books.

And from the way they're written I don't think you can say that they're not part of the novel -- so this is the actual opening line: "The pale Usher—threadbare in coat, heart, body, and brain; I see him now."

It's still a good opening.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The man in black fled across the desert, and the pale usher followed.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Carthag Tuek posted:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the pale usher followed.

Who was Justin Bieber following?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Grassy Knowles posted:

huge slam on usher out of nowhere

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Offensive, Biebs is much more talented than usher

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gaius Marius posted:

It’s best when the child surpasses their father.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gaius Marius posted:

:wrong:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah that take is insane but I don't like either enough to do a comparison on their work

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Maybe more of a fun* fact than anything else but:

Cousins.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
On the Awful app, previously unread posts are in grey.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Splendid posted:

On the Awful app, previously unread posts are in grey.

They are?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Alfred Molina is not in Kiss of the Spider Woman. I always thought it was him and Raul Julia.

e: also Alfred Molina is English?? I'm just realising a lot of things about Alfred Molina today I guess

rollick has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jul 10, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Judge John Hodgman isn't an actual judge :(

For some reason I thought he'd done heaps of different jobs in his career and one of them happened to be being a judge for a number of years before switching to comedy. No, that is entirely false, and I don't know why I thought that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rollick posted:

Alfred Molina is not in Kiss of the Spider Woman. I always thought it was him and Raul Julia.

e: also Alfred Molina is English?? I'm just realising a lot of things about Alfred Molina today I guess

He's also in Raiders, briefly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

He's also in Raiders, briefly.

Yup, Satipo, the "throw me the idol, I'll throw you the whip" guy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

Judge John Hodgman isn't an actual judge :(

For some reason I thought he'd done heaps of different jobs in his career and one of them happened to be being a judge for a number of years before switching to comedy. No, that is entirely false, and I don't know why I thought that.

Lol, I had the same thought when I'd just heard ads for his show, but I figured it out pretty fast after I actually listened to it. The other John Hodgman realization, of course, was learning that I actually recognized him after all, as the PC in those Mac vs PC ads from forever ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That was actually David Mitchell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Only in the UK versions.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

rollick posted:

He plays a psychiatrist in Identity with Ray Liotta and John Cusack and uses his English accent

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

Only in the UK versions.

I just couldn't resist an opportunity to say that

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

That was actually David Mitchell

Which one?

I know you mean the comedian, I just think its funny that there's at least two famous David Mitchells

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kantesu posted:

Which one?

I know you mean the comedian, I just think its funny that there's at least two famous David Mitchells

I was reading an article about Ray Charles and going "huh, what the gently caress, didn't know he did that sort of thing" all the time until at the end the writer mentioned that obviously the other Ray Charles made some very different kind of music.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I do not have long COVID.

I do have a salt shaker that I accidentally topped up with artificial sweetener, and that's why my food has been tasting bland and weird

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

aardwolf posted:

I do not have long COVID.

I do have a salt shaker that I accidentally topped up with artificial sweetener, and that's why my food has been tasting bland and weird

I thought I had COVID19 and turns out the bread, ham, and cheese I'd bought were all just completely tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gamle Ole ftw