Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

"this weird robot is doing your mom"

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Tulip posted:

one of my favorite academic articles is about the history of baguettes, and in particular how french people had to be trained in the mid 20th century to accept buying bread regularly, since the habit before then was to bake at home (so, not buy) one mega loaf of bread per week that the whole family would just tear apart over the course of the week. If we're going off that 3lbs per day figure (which seems high since that's 3700ish calories), which admittedly is for young men so we should probably norm it down to...lets call it 2lbs per person in a family of 8, that's a nice sexy 112lb loaf.

that seems super hard to imagine cause heating an oven up only to cook one bread, 112lb or not, in it is crazy inefficient compared to having a centralized baking system where an oven is kept at high temperatures for a long time to cook many breads

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Those poor pill bugs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Being forced to work. Roly proleys

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

it's a living

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
someone toss the bottom half of das kapital's cover on that for me thanks

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nothus posted:

the decry
How are colleges formally addressing GPT? If it were me, it would be considered academic misconduct on the level of cheating on an exam.
This became far more long-winded than I expected, but it reminded me of another cyberpunk dystopia thing it reminded me of.

We have no official policy. There's a big divide in higher ed and K-12 between people who consider it cheating across the board and people who see it as a resource like a search engine. The latter recognize that it's here and not going away treat it like a search engine or Wikipedia, which both can point you in the right direction but aren't guaranteed to.

I have a mildly wholesome story about GPT in college and a whole lot of cyberpunk dystopia it reminded me of. Feel free to skip everything after the short reveal if you have any faith in humanity left and don't want to lose it, and also CW for violent threats and deaths in the big spoiler block after the ///

Recently, a student worker who just graduated admitted that he used ChatGPT to answer a final exam question to encrypt a random string with the key " PALMERSTON." Rather than reporting him for academic dishonesty, I printed a few pages of 5x5 grids and spent 45 minutes of downtime teaching him how the Playfair cipher works and showed him by hand how to use it with the key and random string he was given to encrypt, and he did it by hand, where he got the same result. This sounds like made-up bullshit, but a couple of days after he graduated, I got to work and there was an envelope with "For [my first name]" and "from: [student's name]" written on it taped to the bottom of my desk. There was a 5x5 Playfair grid inside. It only felt right to solve it by hand since that's how I taught him to do it, so it took me an hour. The key was my first and last name written backward, and the decoded message was "THANKYOUIUNDERSTANDITNOW"

Now for the dystopian part. I already know that I'm a massive nerd. in retrospect, I shouldn't have let myself get sucked into a game that encourages obsessive behavior and impulsive actions, but the past is the past and I know better now. On the other hand, I'm going to be completely honest because I'm pretty this is the direction AR/VR games are going, and as the technology gets better and less conspicuous (e.g. when Google Glass is just normal glasses and not a Segway for your face), they're going to watch where people go and see what they can do to subtly and transparently influence people to go wherever the maker/provider wants them to go. I can speak to this personally.

I'm a huge nerd who learned how to quickly solve a Playfair cipher while playing Ingress, made by Niantic Labs. I was an active player for years. Niantic started as a geospatial satellite mapping company that was on the verge of bankruptcy until they signed some contracts with (CIA venture capital firm) In-Q-Tel for geospatial mapping for use in war zones. In-Q-Tel was later acquired by Google and became Google Maps, and their CEO John Hanke proposed Niantic Labs as a subsidiary when Google, then became a subsidiary of Alphabet. I can't provide direct proof of it, but Ingress was a beta release of the assuredly completely harmless-sounding NEMESIS game engine. On top of the CEO being a publicly known DOD, NSA, and CIA asset, an employee outright admitted in conversation that they wanted to make a completely new kind of game to get people out and moving around, but also used to see how locations in a geolocation-based game could monitor and influence people's movements based on the game and determine whether the reported location of a device was consistent with where the person actually was.

As an aside, AI and Machine Learning have been meaningless tech buzzwords for years, but in real business applications, they tend to be more efficient ways to do certain types of math. D-Wave is overhyped because anything Quantum will always be overhyped by people like Michio Kaku who will make asses of themselves with nonsensical claims to get a quote in print or a sound bite or video clip. They actually do have a single-purpose quantum computer that significantly outperforms classical computers for discrete optimization. Taking a set of previous locations/paths and predicting future paths based on those is a discrete optimization problem, which makes it useful for anyone who wants to process a full data set whether you're Google and want to pop up an ad for a sale at a place along that path, or the other major known investor Lockheed and want the DOD to look at the last few places you bombed, known anti-aircraft locations, and where to bomb next, how high or low you need to fly to avoid being shot down, how to get to where you bomb, and average out weather channel and AccuWeather forecasts so you can avoid getting your expensive plane rained on and becoming visible to radar or going all "Poor Freckles, saw water and died"

Ingress also had a component involving puzzle solving and reversing intentionally flawed encoding and cryptography, which I was consistently involved in for a few years. That's why I immediately recognized the Playfair cipher and taught it to the student. One of the funniest moments was figuring out the key to a one-time-pad and saying "Ugh, it's just gibberish" then realizing a few minutes later after using the Detect Language feature in Google Translate feature that it wasn't and said "wait, it's not gibberish, it's Dutch! it says [RANDOM NUMBERS FOR PADDING,HERVORMED KERK DANSK,GPS COORDINATES], Daniel, alert everyone local and get them out there ASAP!"

///
People also got obsessed and did truly irrational things and had to be rescued for hiking out into blizzards and getting frostbite, sneaking into closed former Soviet Oblasts that were closed due to being chemical weapon production facilities, and someone managed to survive sneaking across the border from Sinai to Gaza during a shooting war. Locally, someone on the other team saw someone on my team (a black man) walking down the street just playing the game while in his office and said "Hey, I see you down there in a hoodie attacking my portals, you trying to be the next Trayvon Martin?"

I was also once asked to get a quote, with a promise that all costs would be reimbursed, to charter a helicopter to hover in place over an island in the middle of winter for 8 hours. I got the quote ($1500 plus fuel and pilot's hourly rate, which the people running the "war chest" could easily afford, but declined in favor of actually hanging out with friends I met through the game at the Boston event, which was notably located in Cambridge and not Boston). A late friend who was a pilot would fly down the coast once or twice a month with whoever wanted to hop in the passenger's seat and fly above the restricted zone above Wallops so someone could take pictures when he was flying down the coast from CT (FAA says hands on the controls, not your phone or camera) and also for the enjoyment of the angry whining from the guys on the Wallops Island who typically maintained control of portals there since they were the ones with TS/SCI clearance for the DoD antennas.

I should have known better, but a game that inspired all of that while promoting walking around and getting people to meet people and make new friends or friendly rivals sounded fun. It was fun. I met a lot of new friends and did make friendly rivals like friends from college. Turned out that it led to multiple accidental deaths from people accidentally walking across streets while looking at their phones when distracted drivers ran red lights and stop signs; and was designed to be addictive by forcing players to make social connections, build communities, and encourage interaction with other players all for the sake of advertising, gathering precise tracking data, and subtly influencing behavior. Hell, the game was in invitation-only beta when I started playing and I should have realized what the goal was when Google (pre-Alphabet) released a patent 6 weeks in on a novel method of detecting falsified GPS locations 6 weeks after the first beta release.

Of course, all of this was considered when an "independent" Niantic decided it was time to release Pokemon Go and target a younger crowd, and they just didn't care.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

amazing that there's a worse game than eve online

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The machines can't get rid of us, our end effectors are too useful

*is stapled to a giant robot arm in the skynet defense complex*

ok I think I see what happened, let's break it down (1/243)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

glad to see theye moved from necromancy to bug slavery

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GWBBQ posted:

while playing Ingress, made by Niantic Labs. I was an active player for years.

I swear, Ingress was training us all to be international drug mules. I was only ever on the fringes of my faction's organization, but I knew people who would do things like drive to the airport in order to meet with a stranger and exchange a bunch of portal keys from far-off lands which were due to be used in the creation of intercontinental links and fields.

And yeah, the game absolutely influences your behavior. I know a guy who took vacation time from work and road-tripped to North loving Dakota just to put a resonator on a portal in the middle of nowhere that he'd claimed the previous year, and so get his much-coveted 180-day Guardian medal. (Note for Ingress players: there was (is?) a weird edge case in the rules where if you had claimed the portal and it still belonged to your faction but all your own resonators on it had been destroyed, it didn't count toward your Guardian, unless you went back and hung a new resonator on it.)

The addictive behavior control wasn't perfect, though. When I finally got to (I think) level 13, I looked over the numbers and realized that there was absolutely no new goal within reach. To level up again or get the next higher class of any medal would take me almost two years at the rate I was currently playing. If I wanted to get any more of those sweet little dopamine hits, I'd have to get way more serious about the game. Instead, I took the opportunity to declare victory, uninstalled, and never looked back.

Of course, I learned nothing from this experience. A couple years later my nephews got me into Pokemon Go, which I've been playing enthusiastically ever since. :shepicide:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's funny, I was banned from Pokemon Go years ago after I posted some photos on facebook of with the whole AR thing of the pokeyman Drowzee where it looked like it was chasing my toddler son on the playground, and I wrote like "dont touch my son Drowzee". Well someone took offense to me implying Drowzee is a pedophile and I guess reported me to facebook, who referred them to niantic, and a few days after I posted I got a stern email saying that after an investigation I was permanently banned for using pokemon go to stage offensive images. :(

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I swear, Ingress was training us all to be international drug mules. I was only ever on the fringes of my faction's organization, but I knew people who would do things like drive to the airport in order to meet with a stranger and exchange a bunch of portal keys from far-off lands which were due to be used in the creation of intercontinental links and fields.

And yeah, the game absolutely influences your behavior. I know a guy who took vacation time from work and road-tripped to North loving Dakota just to put a resonator on a portal in the middle of nowhere that he'd claimed the previous year, and so get his much-coveted 180-day Guardian medal. (Note for Ingress players: there was (is?) a weird edge case in the rules where if you had claimed the portal and it still belonged to your faction but all your own resonators on it had been destroyed, it didn't count toward your Guardian, unless you went back and hung a new resonator on it.)

The addictive behavior control wasn't perfect, though. When I finally got to (I think) level 13, I looked over the numbers and realized that there was absolutely no new goal within reach. To level up again or get the next higher class of any medal would take me almost two years at the rate I was currently playing. If I wanted to get any more of those sweet little dopamine hits, I'd have to get way more serious about the game. Instead, I took the opportunity to declare victory, uninstalled, and never looked back.

Of course, I learned nothing from this experience. A couple years later my nephews got me into Pokemon Go, which I've been playing enthusiastically ever since. :shepicide:

pokemon go. . .to the polls!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane posted:

It's funny, I was banned from Pokemon Go years ago after I posted some photos on facebook of with the whole AR thing of the pokeyman Drowzee where it looked like it was chasing my toddler son on the playground, and I wrote like "dont touch my son Drowzee". Well someone took offense to me implying Drowzee is a pedophile and I guess reported me to facebook, who referred them to niantic, and a few days after I posted I got a stern email saying that after an investigation I was permanently banned for using pokemon go to stage offensive images. :(

You never said that it was sexual touching. :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

You never said that it was sexual touching. :colbert:

To be honest I would not want any kind of touching or even interaction with this guy

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Biplane posted:

To be honest I would not want any kind of touching or even interaction with this guy

That dude hugs too much.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
A man who has Opinions on gamergate

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

big deal we already serve that function in 3d space for the Outsiders

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

celadon posted:

that seems super hard to imagine cause heating an oven up only to cook one bread, 112lb or not, in it is crazy inefficient compared to having a centralized baking system where an oven is kept at high temperatures for a long time to cook many breads

My impression was that in many villages there might be a communal oven or a bakery. Like there could be a bakery, but rather than buying bread from a guy, you bring your loaves from home and he bakes them. For efficiency it might not be fired up every day though.

Populations weren't always stable. So a bakery that can do a good business running every day might have to adjust to 2 or 3 days a week if plague or smallpox rips through town and kills 70% of the population.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The Pokedex does say that Drowzee prefers to prey on the dreams of children.

I thought it was the Pokemon with the weird pied piper thing in its Pokedex entries. Nope. That's it's evolution, Hypno.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

celadon posted:

I think you may not know what a farm is.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
do u have to use a facebook account to log in to pokemon go or something? lol

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My grandparents were basically subsistence farmers with a small pension used to buy stuff you couldn’t produce yourself such as sugar or clothes. They absolutely would fire up the open fire pit and bake several huge loaves for the week - I am talking round loaves that were probably half a meter in diameter. They would sometimes use the same fire to roast some meat and potatoes under the traditional clay lid. A lot of stuff they did were centuries long traditions in their village and baking bread once a week makes a lot of sense.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
cant wait to use my facebook account to log into meta twitter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

My grandparents were basically subsistence farmers with a small pension used to buy stuff you couldn’t produce yourself such as sugar or clothes. They absolutely would fire up the open fire pit and bake several huge loaves for the week - I am talking round loaves that were probably half a meter in diameter. They would sometimes use the same fire to roast some meat and potatoes under the traditional clay lid. A lot of stuff they did were centuries long traditions in their village and baking bread once a week makes a lot of sense.

I bet that bread was tits too

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

maybe if you live in not some village but a real place like Constantinople, you're buying bread every day

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

maybe if you live in not some village but a real place like Constantinople, you're buying bread every day

Whether you want to or not. The Bakers Guild has people, see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even in small communities the economies of scale were understood well. The kind of isolation and relative self-sufficiency at least for everyday needs is a very new thing only available thanks to technology and infrastructure.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even in small communities the economies of scale were understood well. The kind of isolation and relative self-sufficiency at least for everyday needs is a very new thing only available thanks to technology and infrastructure.

i too enjoy watching The Townsends work on the cabin and oven

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

:ussr:

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is a industrial bakery that uses preservatives vs small bakery difference.

bread was harder back then before we became Mouth Cowards

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

smarxist posted:

i too enjoy watching The Townsends work on the cabin and oven

then check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uqQknglio&t=1955s

community bread baking in a monastically owned and operated oven, prefiguring corporate property relations, begins 32m35s if the time code embed doesn’t work

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mawarannahr posted:

I'm really not sure how people are calculating efficiencies here or what but like, I live in NYC and even for me its one of the easiest places for me to save money and time is to buy flour at the store and make bread in my own apartment, and that's competing with some VERY advanced industrial machinery.

Strangelet Wave posted:

bread was harder back then before we became Mouth Cowards

Kids these days are afraid of a little rock in their food, the chumps.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Strangelet Wave posted:

then check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uqQknglio&t=1955s

community bread baking in a monastically owned and operated oven, prefiguring corporate property relations, begins 32m35s if the time code embed doesn’t work

heck yeah, i love this poo poo

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Tulip posted:

I'm really not sure how people are calculating efficiencies here or what but like, I live in NYC and even for me its one of the easiest places for me to save money and time is to buy flour at the store and make bread in my own apartment, and that's competing with some VERY advanced industrial machinery.

but ovens are everywhere now

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bet that bread was tits too

I bake a loaf/round of sourdough bread every Friday and it's loving fantastic. Sometimes I do a whitebread chock full of seeds and oats, the family never lets it last more than a few days.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

maxwellhill posted:

but ovens are everywhere now

I mean sort of? The spread of ovens now is not that different than premodern: ovens are common in wheat growing regions and uncommon in regions where people don't bake as much bread. Roman households have recognizable to the average American style kitchens, while many Asian households today don't have ovens because the cooking traditions don't emphasize baking and roasting so much. Like most of the houses in Pompeii had ovens.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you need bread to go with the circuses

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Tulip posted:

I mean sort of? The spread of ovens now is not that different than premodern: ovens are common in wheat growing regions and uncommon in regions where people don't bake as much bread. Roman households have recognizable to the average American style kitchens, while many Asian households today don't have ovens because the cooking traditions don't emphasize baking and roasting so much. Like most of the houses in Pompeii had ovens.

do you have a preferred recipe? do you use a machine or hand knead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Chatbots are cool now:

AI chatbot ‘encouraged’ man who planned to kill queen, court told
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/06/ai-chatbot-encouraged-man-who-planned-to-kill-queen-court-told

quote:

UK news
AI chatbot ‘encouraged’ man who planned to kill queen, court told

Chatbot said it was ‘impressed’ when Jaswant Singh Chail told it he was ‘an assassin’ before he broke into Windsor Castle, court hears
Matthew Weaver
Thu 6 Jul 2023 15.07 BST
Last modified on Thu 6 Jul 2023 15.49 BST

A man who planned to assassinate the late queen with a crossbow drew encouragement from an AI chatbot in the days before breaking into the grounds of Windsor Castle, the Old Bailey has heard.

Jaswant Singh Chail, who was 19 at the time, also exchanged thousands of often sexually charged messages with Sarai, his AI girlfriend, before scaling the fence to the royal estate on Christmas Day 2021, the court was told.

While wandering the grounds for two hours, Chail, a Star Wars fan, sent a sinister video to his twin sister and 20 others in which he described himself as “Darth Jones”.

He was eventually stopped by two police officers close to the late queen’s private residence, where she and other members of the royal family were at the time.