Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oneiros posted:

"interrupts aren't real" i repeat to myself as i get triple overlapped by rams' voices in world of darkness

The average tank/ranged dps in WoD certainly thinks interrupts aren't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

God Hole posted:

I feel like using both a GCD and an oGCD just to maintain aggro on a couple enemies wastes valuable MP/DoTs that would better be served using on the entire pack when they're all grouped up
With Flood of Darkness, Orogeny and Circle of Scorn at least they'll be back up (or almost back up) by the time you reach the second pack. Dunno about Bow Shock since I don't really play GNB in dungeons, but by my reckoning you're actually losing a (half) use if you don't use it on the first pack.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

honestly you can do a little dance and get off two gcds to get solid agro on a pack before dashing off to the next just fine. you aren't gonna die from a few autos from a single pack and as long as you have sprint up you aren't gonna take excessive damage on the run. that being said, no one is gonna die if they take agro on a couple mobs during the run between packs. one aoe gcd is fine, throw out some ranged attacks and/or provoke during the run if you wanna grab it back

also, if you're running with a melee you know, have them pull slightly ahead on the first pack of a pull (note: ahead, not extra) with arm's length up and all the mobs will collapse into a tight pack for you to catch them in your aoe and you get free mitigation. if they use bloodbath the healer doesn't even need to pay them any extra attention. if they're a samurai they get free kenki without even having to stand in piss puddles

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 3, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bruceski posted:

One or two GCDs is fine, whatever you personally feel comfortable with

It's this. Go for three if you want. It's hard to gently caress it up. Don't think about optimally pulling your first several runs.

There is a lot of discussion to be had about optimally pulling, but as a New Player Tankxiety Survivor, get into it later if you like the feeling of driving the dungeon.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 3, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just use a regular GCD AOE on the way and if I lose aggro on anything before I round up the next pack, then it's up to the DPS to pull them into the pack to get scooped back up.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I just use a regular GCD AOE on the way and if I lose aggro on anything before I round up the next pack, then it's up to the DPS to pull them into the pack to get scooped back up.

If the dps steal aggro, why, that's just free mitigation.

Unless they die, in which case it's funny.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

If you're ~optimizing~ then being able to establish aggro without stopping so you can gather the final pull earlier is worth more than a more efficient tank ogcd on both packs. One ogcd from 1/4th of the party might cut half a second of a pull, taking a gcd extra to gather the mobs adds, well, a gcd to the pull. So, using the ogcd to avoid stopping is a good trade, if stopping was the alternative.

This sort of stupid microoptimization really doesn't matter though.

Other small optimizations you can do that don't much matter include:
  • Try to keep high HP mobs in the middle of the scrum, so that "100 potency to primary target, half that in an area"-type abilities can be used effectively. In general try to keep mobs as tightly packed as the game's pathing permits to allow for weirdly shaped aoes, don't settle for standing in the middle of a sparse circle of baddies thinking "well I can hit 'em all".
  • If there are no ground target effects in the party (e.g. Ninja's Doton, Summoner's Slipstream, Black Mage's Leylines, etc) then you can move the fight no problem. Ideally you drag the last pack in your pull back towards the party and incoming old mobs so everything is gathered sooner, then end the fight as far forward in the dungeon as you can. In practice I usually just start running forward when a pack is down to 1-2 mobs.
  • If everyone is alive and healthy then don't be afraid of standing in mechanics for melee uptime. Single trash ground markers do very little damage to tanks (or to dps, usually), and getting a vulnerability debuff in exchange for not hiding behind a rock for 5 seconds is a good trade. Sometimes a boss mechanic is extra nasty and this will backfire in some fun way, but the only way to know when is to test.
  • Similarly, when a boss dies all its associated debuffs are cleared. When the boss is at <2% then you should normally just run for the exit no matter what may be going on, or what might hit you on the way.
  • There are chests in dungeons with loot and materia. They're good value for the no effort involved and definitely worth opening ... by someone else, who isn't setting the pace for the dungeon. Relatedly: if healer or ranged dps, please open the damned chests, it doesn't even cost you a cast nowadays.
  • Food is cool and fun and gives you numbers. You can use high level food at low levels for significantly more numbers than on-level food. Some not-quite-current high level food like Smoked Chicken or Espresso con Panna can sometimes be bought for pennies on the MB, and it's great for lower level dungeons.
I can't stress enough how little any of this matters in normal play, but if you're feeling otherwise solid and not prone to dying then these are stupid tricks you can decide to think about as you idly mash Overpower.

All good observations. I'll add that if you're paying attention, you'll notice that you can kinda 'sheep dog' the mob pack by pulling them out a bit and rotating around the imaginary circumference you want them to stay in. Think a sheep dog herding sheep. This keeps them pretty tightly grouped in my experience.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Should I use one GCD or two? Should I sprint or stay in range of my ranged attack? Should I pop my strongest mitigation early so it recharges faster, or in the heat of the battle when it's most needed?" The answers to these questions are less important than the fact that you are asking them. Specifically, asking them to yourself while you do runs and experiment to learn what works and what doesn't, because it means you're in the right mindset to figure out how to learn and grow and do better. Honestly, the absolute worst thing you can do for your future growth as a tank is decide that you know the answers to these sorts of questions, not just because there's an exception to every rule (including this one), but also because the second you're convinced you're a Good Tank with nothing else to learn, you instantly become worse.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2023

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Really there are three main things a tank ought to be concerned with:

* Have at least one mitigation active when taking damage, outside of trivial damage like when you're grabbing one pack and dragging them to another
* If the healer is taking damage or the DPS is taking a lot of damage, get aggro off of whoever's hitting them
* Pull the mobs into as tight a stationary cluster as you can, facing in the same direction and away from the rest of the party. Ideally they're facing away at a 45-degree angle, so that melee DPS can hit the mobs' backs and flanks without moving too much, but you work with what you've got in terms of floor space and sheer numbers of enemies

The last one does play into the fact that you want to look at your party composition at the start of a dungeon. Having all ranged DPS means you don't need to worry about melee attacks that target the enemy's back/flank, so mob facing is less of a concern. And the specific healer job kind of plays into how concerned you need to be with your own health (SCH/SGE should keep your actual health higher due to shields, AST and especially WHM have proportionally more potent oGCD heals so you don't need to worry if you constantly drop below half health but don't die), though in ARR leveling dungeons the differences aren't nearly as stark.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

gtrmp posted:

Ideally they're facing away at a 45-degree angle, so that melee DPS can hit the mobs' backs and flanks without moving too much,
Ew no. No no no, do not hold the boss at a 45 degree angle. I don't know where or why this started, but it's awful. DPS with positionals will just stand at a boss's 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock, which is a habit you should get yourself into if you ever want to do Extreme or Savage content. Tilting the boss like that runs the risk of screwing up mechanics that rely on the boss's facing (ie the final boss of the third Nier alliance raid).

Just hold the drat thing straight so I can hit it properly.

Also facing doesn't matter in mob pulls anyway, because no AoE attacks have positionals. Just make sure they're pointed away from the party so frontal cleaves don't hit them and you'll be fine.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 3, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Face bosses perfectly straight north if possible. Sometimes they jump around and make this annoying but you can straighten them out later. This is a good habit to make early because there are a few times later where you might accidentally murder everyone if you don't do this. And of course there are always exceptions but you'll know if you're in one of those when people complain

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Comedy option: whereever the tank is is Relative North, enjoy.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Variation on that: wherever the melee DPSs have repositioned after the boss moved is Relative South.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

when a boss teleports to the center facing south, i just keep them facing south to minimise spinning because it means they'll pull that trick at least twelve more times in the fight. one trick that Big Tanking doesn't want you to know

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i actually really like it when tanks face the boss at 10:30 or 01:30 if there isn't some mechanic that'll punish you for it. i think i first noticed a tank doing it in p3s and it was really nice because it let the melees stay tightly stacked with everyone else and avoid tethers being off in weird places and made baiting the big fireballs really comfy

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So that's emulating where the hour hand would be a those times? IE: between 10 and 11?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oneiros posted:

i actually really like it when tanks face the boss at 10:30 or 01:30 if there isn't some mechanic that'll punish you for it. i think i first noticed a tank doing it in p3s and it was really nice because it let the melees stay tightly stacked with everyone else and avoid tethers being off in weird places and made baiting the big fireballs really comfy
It's a good trick when you know the fight, and know it doesn't have any mechanics where the boss' relative orientation is important. If you don't know the fight, better to keep relative north and objective north as close as possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Blue Mage is weirdly fun. I wish it was less limited and could do Duties.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

When the FFXV crossover event was going on, you could do the instance against Garuda as a Blue Mage. That was fun.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Raenir Salazar posted:

my hope is that they eventually let you do instances with npcs as a blue mage. i understand not being able to queue it for actual instances, since you could gently caress over the other people in your group, but it'd be neat to not be forced into either solo or party finder

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Just unlocked Vanu Vanu tribal quests and I am disappointed none of them is called "Sanuwa Beach"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Vanu Vanu are like the first tribe where you have to unlock flying to do them, since iirc the quests send you all over the Sea of Clouds to spots you can't reach easily or at all on foot. Also the hub is on a floating island with no bridges, oops.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm trying to remember if you can even start the Vanu tribal unlock without flying. Obviously you could just ignore the exploration currents, but I think you have to have gotten the MSQ current first? I don't remember if they also require the current side quests to be cleared.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Szarrukin posted:

Just unlocked Vanu Vanu tribal quests and I am disappointed none of them is called "Sanuwa Beach"

You'll have to settle for the Carpenter levequest "Birch, Please" and its later sequel "Beech, Please".

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Hope you enjoy flying all the way across the Sea of Clouds to talk to one guy/click a shiny/bring me 20 Dhalmel asses for the next few weeks. Might want to stock up on podcasts.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It gets better, though. After a while you will be flying all the way across the Sea of Clouds to perform a glorious dance.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Vanu Vanu dances are based on the Haka, which I think is neat. They even use them in the same way, as psychological warfare, boosting their own morale and demoralizing enemies.

Edit: needless to say the WoL gets really good at dancing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

All the Vanu Vanu quests where they ask you to demonstrate the Powerful Dance of Your People with /dance are extremely funny on my femroe alt

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antivehicular posted:

All the Vanu Vanu quests where they ask you to demonstrate the Powerful Dance of Your People with /dance are extremely funny on my femroe alt

Male Elezen /dance looks sarcastic to me so it was great there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

Male Elezen /dance looks sarcastic to me so it was great there.

Male Roe just looks embarrassed to do this little shuffle.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just learned that you can go to different data centers and buy things from their market-boards if they are cheaper. Decided to pickup two copies of an emote book and sell one back on my server and whoa, easy 120k gil net profit. Seems like a pretty easy/brain-dead way to make some extra gil here and there while also getting fun items for cheaper.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I always comparison-shop on universalis.app for all my big-ticket purchases.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I will never forgive Squeenix for making the female version of /sundropdance extremely lovely.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hating the female version of the sun drop dance means you love imperialism. i didn't make the rules but that's what they are

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's based on the women's version of the haka.

a cartoon duck posted:

hating the female version of the sun drop dance means you love imperialism. i didn't make the rules but that's what they are

unironically true.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's based on the women's version of the haka.

unironically true.

Well I learned something new today

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

...is this normal?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In my experience, yes. The only things with reasonable queue times are 1-10 or 51-60.

One of many reasons why PotD sucks.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
So all these guides "PotD are the best for leveling alt jobs" are bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're not bullshit, they're just very outdated