Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually really loved the first Pillars game, but goddamn if the second doesn't simply improve on every single element of the first. I regret waiting for so long to play it, I just wasn't ready for a deep time investment that I knew it would need, but once I finally started playing I couldn't stop.

Will be getting Avowed because I really like the setting, but I'm praying for a PoE 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Never Got Out Of Alpha Protocol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1676065248254787584

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Jay Rust posted:

Ranking the obsidian games ive played (and can think of right now)

New vegas
Pillars 2
Pentiment
Tyranny
Alpha protocol
Pillars 1
Neverwinter nites 2

Same but put Outer Worlds right underneath Alpha Protocol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember thinking something was bugged or I picked some weird game mode in Neverwinter Nights when I couldn't have a full party. Just being a long one annoying doofus at a time.

My last time trying to replay for nostalgias sake, I remembered that first area and was like augh this sucks but it gets better after I think. I was surprised how much of it I kept remembering once I got to it, and how much of it was areas I didn't want to do again.

The one part I looked forward to I now can't remember if it was in 1 or 2 but there's a dark haunted town you need to figure out a ghost mystery or whatever. You end up exploring this elaborate wizard dungeon with a couple opposing forces let loose inside and it was neat uncovering stuff, and then twists to it, and trying to find the out one you felt like.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm one of those freaks/weirdos that loves neverwinter nights 2

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
It's not a very good game, tho

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

The one part I looked forward to I now can't remember if it was in 1 or 2 but there's a dark haunted town you need to figure out a ghost mystery or whatever. You end up exploring this elaborate wizard dungeon with a couple opposing forces let loose inside and it was neat uncovering stuff, and then twists to it, and trying to find the out one you felt like.

sounds like Charwood in NWN1

the original campaign was a big slog with not much payoff, but Shadows of Undrentide was alright and Hordes of the Underdark was great

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alpha Protocol's gameplay is fine, except the bad hacking minigames, those do suck

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For me it was the sentiment that "these two western games have done the RPG thing better than the Japanese game, isn't it ironic"

I actually didn't know Ghost of Tsushima was a western game, I haven't paid attention to that at all

I really don't care about samurai lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sekiro owns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess he’s a shinobi but he fights samurai

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't play that either

No builds and no async multi so I was a lot less interested

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

i have a lot of fondness for its multiplayer days, and MotB is still one of the best CRPG stories to date that is sadly stuck as an expansion pack to a game that barely anyone remembers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't play that either

No builds and no async multi so I was a lot less interested

They patched in a basic player messaging system (iirc it’s entirely gestures, no words)

But yes the plot is pretty samurai-y (questions of honour and duty and all that crap)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked NWN2 too! Up until Kingmaker it was my fav version of build-a-fort. Maybe the first but I loved it instantly.

Sadly I never beat MotB, I tried to on a revisit a couple years ago, but something about the system or UI got on my nerves and I just kept not progressing and uninstalled.

I still want some DnD game or other to make it's version of RPGMaker and let folks make and host games and servers with modern stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was thinking RPGMaker like Mario Maker not RPGMaker but I either work

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

You and I both. I love both Neverwinter Nights games. I wish we could get a 3rd game, but instead we got a horrible pay to win MMORPG.

Khanstant posted:

I was thinking RPGMaker like Mario Maker not RPGMaker but I either work

Both NWN games have their own editors that let you make entire worlds / campaigns. But they are not very user friendly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The actual plot of Sekiro is about the pursuit of immortality and the atrocities people will commit to achieve it. And how to kill those fuckers anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh you're immortal, huh? how interesting...

*sighs, unsheathes mortal blade*

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And how Decay and Death are the same side of the coin as Growth and Progress, and by arresting one unnaturally you rot out your insides and destroy everything around you in a facile attempt to avoid the very thing you are causing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

And how Decay and Death are the same side of the coin as Growth and Progress, and by arresting one unnaturally you rot out your insides and destroy everything around you in a facile attempt to avoid the very thing you are causing.

yeah it owns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I meant the character motivations for our hero Sekiro is duty stuff, the biggest player story choice is about duty. But yes desiccated monks and centipede ape are cool

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dave the diver is a very silly game, but so far it seems very good. i love the ocean.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Still gutted that Sekiro never got a DLC. The mechanics and story left a perfect space for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tirranek posted:

Still gutted that Sekiro never got a DLC. The mechanics and story left a perfect space for it.

I recall some speculation that there was going to be a Tomoe-themed DLC but it was scrapped and what they'd come up with for Tomoe was just retooled into becoming Malenia.

Don't know how much I believe it. But I do know that part of why she's so tough is that, much like Demon of Hatred is basically a Souls boss in Sekiro, with Malenia you're fighting a Sekiro boss with a Souls toolset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My searing Souls hot take is that Malenia is not too difficult. Hard yes, but not even the most difficult boss in her own game (that was trying to beat Maliketh with a pre-1.03 Colossal Hammer, good god). If you face her at the intended level and have built your character decently, you can reliably push her into Phase 2 without even seeing Waterfowl Dance, at which point you've basically won as long as you avoid the extremely telegraphed, forever-frame Scarlet Aeonia. I've beat her four times all on different characters and she ain't poo poo! She's even pretty fun, as far as challenging encounters go. Ask me to ever kill Midir again and that's gonna be a big no from me, Simon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tirranek posted:

They did at least add a boss rush mode and some other stuff eventually

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Runa posted:

I recall some speculation that there was going to be a Tomoe-themed DLC but it was scrapped and what they'd come up with for Tomoe was just retooled into becoming Malenia.

Don't know how much I believe it. But I do know that part of why she's so tough is that, much like Demon of Hatred is basically a Souls boss in Sekiro, with Malenia you're fighting a Sekiro boss with a Souls toolset.

Yeah exactly. Her Waterfowl Dance wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could parry it. Design-wise I can also see the connection. Big katana-like blade; prosthetic arm; cherry blossoms replaced with Rot butterflies. Add some lightning and you're pretty much there.

Sakurazuka posted:

They did at least add a boss rush mode and some other stuff eventually

I really enjoyed that, but still :negative:

It's still my favourite From game, and is maybe the first genuinely different game of theirs post-Souls. Turns out they were really good at it.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 4, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XoirdCMv8U

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Runa posted:

Yeah, I just spammed Lion’s Claw on her but the idea of Malenia in Sekiro and not a game with delay input on parries sounds like the sickest poo poo ever. Hell, her gimmick even makes a lot of sense for Sekiro; it doesn’t matter if she heals HP off every hit if you just do a poise kill.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Sekiro was a massive step in the right direction. Elden Ring less so, unless we're talking financially because good GOD did that game sell.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

It was also very good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

frytechnician posted:

Sekiro was a massive step in the right direction. Elden Ring less so, unless we're talking financially because good GOD did that game sell.

They were both steps in right, but different, directions

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah but I'm going to link the flames anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had the day off yesterday (canada day) and spent nearly all of it playing the hot new elden ring overhaul mod that I mentioned in a previous post, Convergence. It rules (also elden ring rules, every boss cutscene is the perfect mix of awesome/hosed-up/anime)

Not gonna list EVERY change but, what it does on the whole is open-worldize the game even further! It's much faster to get your build online now, the twenty-or-so character classes have pretty powerful items/spells from the start; the mods grants currency from bosses and certain merchants that can be exchanged at any bonfire for your choice of talisman or crystal tears; you start with everything unlocked and the map revealed; it adds major fast travel portals to every minor erdtree that can teleport you to any other minor erdtree.

Your potential "path" differs based on your starting class, as each is given a note at the start of the game that tells you where to find spell/armour upgrades for you class, though it's up to you to find the most efficient/fun way of getting enough power to reach those sometimes-end-game locations

it's good, if you have elden ring on pc and feel the elden ring itch like I did it's an easy rec from me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I still want some DnD game or other to make it's version of RPGMaker and let folks make and host games and servers with modern stuff.
right now this is probably solasta, although people mostly just use the editor to make digital versions of all the 5e books

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I guess he’s a shinobi but he fights samurai

And an L-A-D-Y Nami's not shy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had no idea about these

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
straining kayfabe to job out to a guy with no head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cain goes over what an absolute mess Carbine was (Wildstar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY5LUNdS-8

Lot of money, but no vision, and awful office politics. He was responsible for building the engine from the ground up, but three years in when the rest of the project in jeopardy for lack direction (most of the non-art creative team were sacked), he was given the opportunity to lead design. If he declined, they'd shut the whole thing down.

It seems he was happy to be back to designing games, but some people at the studio hated his guts for whatever reason, and made the whole thing miserable. Petty things like bad mouthing him behind his back, but also the art team ignoring his design decisions. He seemed to really care about the game, and is still clearly upset by the ordeal (he eventually quit). It's why he took a step back, and didn't have a major role in Obsidian. "I didn't want to be passionate about games for a while anymore. I needed a break"