Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something in the other thread reminded me that I really love when a game goes all out with an idea, like Tales of Berseria's whole thing with the protagonist being absolutely brutal which carries over well into the final boss where she tears her brother out of the villain with her teeth by basically ripping his throat out then traps herself in a constant cycle of her and her brother devouring each other for eternity That's pretty badass. I also liked how the child character's primary arc was going from a tool to learning that it's OK to be selfish and want to do something because it's what YOU want to do, and Violet encouraging that, which has a great moment where the evil god tries to convince him to let him consume him so that they can save the world together and the kid's like "gently caress that, this world's done nothing for me, I'm gonna kick the poo poo out of you" and be basically proceeds to solo the final boss of the game fighting him to an absolute standstill for an extended period of time. The game had a goofy outfit for Violet but the overall writing was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

In TLOU2 don’t you have a choice to mantle or take cover at any given waist-high obstacle? So it’s not just a button press on your path, there may be a consequential decision associated with it

Yeah your’e totally right I thought of this after and forgot while posting.

Point def holds for GoW though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I forgot how good it feels to finally pull of a shinespark puzzle even though it only gives you two missiles.

Cataris in Metroid Dread has one son-of-a-bitch of a shinespark puzzle where you have to superspeed out of a tram room, slide through a beam block, and in the instant that you slide, press down on the stick to charge the shinespark. Then you have to jump up two platforms so that you're perfectly at a 45 degree angle from some superspeed blocks, and activate the shinespark at that diagonal angle. Nothing else as a reward out of it, just 2 more missiles, but goddamn it feels good to be back in the saddle.

I also got to my favorite moment of a Metroid game: when you pick up one of the capacity upgrades for super bombs/super missiles, but because you haven't found that yet, the game just goes "congrats! you found an upgrade to, uh... :thunk: nevermind. seeya."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They knew what they were doing with those shinespark puzzles. I do appreciate they telegraph it up front.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

unattended spaghetti posted:

Oh one other thing. Mantling up bits of the environment is automatic. gently caress yes don’t make people press buttons for no reason. I always found it hilarious how TLoU II and GoW:R both had scads of environmental interaction points for climbing and whatnot, and then they added an accessibility feature to circumvent their stupid design. Pressing a button to vault something doesn’t add gameplay it adds tedium and a possible pain point for disabled players that has literally no reason to exist. Square was smart to just make all that stuff automatic based on proximity.

Jedi Fallen Order has an option to turn on auto-climb (or auto-grab climbable walls) and it made me wonder why that wasn't the default. I was never in an AssCreed or Spider-Man situation where I was in the air next to a wall and didn't want to grab it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lobok posted:

Jedi Fallen Order has an option to turn on auto-climb (or auto-grab climbable walls) and it made me wonder why that wasn't the default. I was never in an AssCreed or Spider-Man situation where I was in the air next to a wall and didn't want to grab it.

Prototype and Prototype 2. Just be running when you hit a wall and run up the side of a building. Doing a sick Atomic Elbow Drop off the top of Empire State Building onto an M1 tank is not optional.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Prototype and Prototype 2. Just be running when you hit a wall and run up the side of a building. Doing a sick Atomic Elbow Drop off the top of Empire State Building onto an M1 tank is not optional.

Prototype did a lot of movement stuff really well.

Shame that the enemy encounters become such a slog. It's like if halfway or a third through a GTA game the escalation of wanted levels went away and instead it went to max wanted immediately whenever you did something bad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Prototypes were just goofy fun. Karate kick a helicopter, eat a guy and pretend to be him, jump forty feet in the air and fire a rocket launcher at a gribbly, good times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The helicopter kills were weird because whenever you popped one it would fall smoking out of the sky and on the way down play an audio clip of a panicked pilot yelling to his passengers that they were all about to die. Seemed like a weird tonal mismatch to try to humanize the faceless military death squads, especially since there's nothing else like that in the game that I can recall

Also the best move was to disguise yourself as a military guy and then point to a real military guy and shout "that's him in disguise!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They knew what they were doing with those shinespark puzzles. I do appreciate they telegraph it up front.

They actually aren't too difficult from what I've seen, the hardest one I've done so far involved charging the shinespark, hopping up to a morph-ball sized gap, rolling over to the left, and activating the shinespark at a diagonal so it busts through both beam blocks and speedboost blocks. It's been a while since I played a Metroud so I couldn't quite remember all the mechanics, I didn't realize you could shinespark as the morph ball until I saw one later that was only 1 speed boost block tall.

I've had my ups and downs with the game so far because of the EMMIs, I think that might kill the replay value for me, but I got the screw attack, block scan, and gravity suit last night and have been having a ball since then. I think I'll replay super Metroid when I'm done just for the hell of it, it's been a while and I've never done a randomizer before so it might be a good start

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

The helicopter kills were weird because whenever you popped one it would fall smoking out of the sky and on the way down play an audio clip of a panicked pilot yelling to his passengers that they were all about to die. Seemed like a weird tonal mismatch to try to humanize the faceless military death squads, especially since there's nothing else like that in the game that I can recall

Also the best move was to disguise yourself as a military guy and then point to a real military guy and shout "that's him in disguise!"

Those two games are both still awesome.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Biplane posted:

I think Novigrad in The Witcher 3 might be my favorite video game city ever, it feels so alive, and it looks like how a city would evolve over time. I must have spent 10 hours there just doing stuff so far.

I love how Kamurocho is basically its own character in the Yakuza series at this point. :kiddo: It's like an old friend.

How! posted:

I’m so jealous you’re playing the game for the first time. Save the DLC for last, it’s a great bookend.

I'm about to start it after finishing up a bunch of smaller games, and I'm frankly kind of intimidated. Not at the game's systems or anything like that, it just seems so BIG. :ohdear: It's been several years since I've started up a game THIS massive.

Looking at this game fluttering myself with a fan going "Where will I GO?! What will I DO?!" like Scarlett O'hara.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jul 3, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Read After Burning posted:

I love how Kamurocho is basically its own character in the Yakuza series at this point. :kiddo: It's like an old friend.

I normally don't care for the "the location is a character" philosophy but in Yakuza is really makes sense to me.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

For me the biggest "The location is a character" would have to be the Suikoden series, especially number two.

Most of the fun of beating a major story questline was coming back and seeing how your home base changed with all the new recruits.
They did a great job of making the place feel alive.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Normandy from Mass Effect is a character.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm about to start it after finishing up a bunch of smaller games, and I'm frankly kind of intimidated. Not at the game's systems or anything like that, it just seems so BIG. :ohdear: It's been several years since I've started up a game THIS massive.

Looking at this game fluttering myself with a fan going "Where will I GO?! What will I DO?!" like Scarlett O'hara.

I actually first tried Witcher 3 about a year after it came out and bounced off HARD almost immediately cause my babby brain was overwhelmed by the large setting and lack of immediate direction. I got to that point in the game this time around after you kill the griffon at white orchard and basically just picked a direction at random and went with it. I guess my brain is better now because it's very good. I can't stop playing at this point.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Biplane posted:

I actually first tried Witcher 3 about a year after it came out and bounced off HARD almost immediately cause my babby brain was overwhelmed by the large setting and lack of immediate direction. I got to that point in the game this time around after you kill the griffon at white orchard and basically just picked a direction at random and went with it. I guess my brain is better now because it's very good. I can't stop playing at this point.

This has been my problem legit everytime I've started the game

I've heard so many good things and I WANT to like it so much, but sandbox-y/open world games just break my brain and I stop playing them unless I've got something holding my hand to push me in a direction :sigh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pulsarcat posted:

For me the biggest "The location is a character" would have to be the Suikoden series, especially number two.

Most of the fun of beating a major story questline was coming back and seeing how your home base changed with all the new recruits.
They did a great job of making the place feel alive.

Similarly the human city when doing sidequests in Xenoblade Chronicles X. The sidestories in that game were great, it's a shame about the main quest.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm definitely burned out on open world stuff. The only ones I've liked recently are Witcher 3 and Botw because those worlds are a lot more fleshed out than most, and wherever you go you'll find something to do and it's usually more interesting than yet another raider camp

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For areas changing after time goes on, Metroid Dread actually had a really neat one. After a certain story beat, I ended up back at the very beginning area only to find out that it's entirely iced over. There's a geothermal plant in the second area that should be keeping things warm, so you have to go back through there to find out what new thing is causing problems to prevent you from getting at an item statue in Area 1. It entirely recontextualizes the first area of the game, since a lot of the normal areas are locked off by ice and you have to use more tools to get around than you did at the tutorial. It all leads to a tough-as-hell boss fight for this point in the game that makes you use all your powerups, but it was satisfying to make use of most of the weapons and movement abilities in a single boss.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Syndicate on 360. That first boss at the end of level 4 completely owns, I love the effect of him dodging you by making more and more layered clones of himself as the fight goes on making it more and more chaotic as he's flipping all over the place. This game is SO fun.

Syndicate 360s Coop devoured me and my friends for a while. It was an excellent little campaign that would kill you dead if you hadnt "leveled" enough which i appreciate (you could of course alternatively just be good)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
CP2077 has a good blend of 'OMG this city is huge!' and 'here's the story and a set of directions to take'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bramble: The Mountain King, after a brief opening, settles into a light hearted fantasy romp with cute characters and animals. I’m not too far in but it’s nice to have a game that keeps things low stress and enjoyable and doesn’t feel the need to get all dark and violent like so many games do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I gotta hand it to Metroid: Dread, the last EMMI is pretty loving great :allears:

You walk into what looks like the final area, get your save point, get to an EMMI door that's your only way forward, get the intro cutscene of the next (orange) EMMI as it uses a Super-Bomb to absolutely wreck you before beginning the insta-grab cutscene, and... you don't have to do any stealth. Samus just grabbed that motherfucker by the deathspike and absorbed it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Bramble: The Mountain King, after a brief opening, settles into a light hearted fantasy romp with cute characters and animals. I’m not too far in but it’s nice to have a game that keeps things low stress and enjoyable and doesn’t feel the need to get all dark and violent like so many games do.

putting a pin in this

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Main Quests and Side Quests are the ones you absolutely should do all of. Main quests obviously advance the main plot... but I liked to do as many side quests as possible when they came up because they affected the story in significant ways and generally ruled and were pretty varied.

Witcher Quests are your standard hunt x or collect x quests and ymmv. Some are pretty fun as far as gearing up to kill a monstee of the week but are absolutely not necessary for the plot. i did them when i felt i needed to gain a level or two before a quest

treasure hunts are even more optional. you can do them to net instructions for crafting witcherspecific armour and weapons. i found a lot of the witcher schools looked kinda goofy so i looked up the school i really liked the look of and only did those treasure hunts.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

cat school rules

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

NoiseAnnoys posted:

cat school rules

Bear school, bitxh

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This is a slightly obscure one, but in Cargo Commander you play as a man who's job it is to rescue special cargo crates from floating containers in a nebular filled with weird crystal zombies and stuff, you do this by using a giant magnet around your ship to pull massive containers towards you so you can go inside each one and scavenge what you find in there before each one breaks off and falls into a wormhole. Now this is round based so in essence you get to choose when you activate the magnet and start pulling stuff towards you, however you also get the choice to just say, "Nope, I'm done" and call it early, perfect for when you have virtually no health or ammo left. I love it because it makes sense, they are not paying you to die and it's entirely rational that this would be an option.

There is also a dedicated "gently caress you" button for some reason.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

oldpainless posted:

My first impression of the game was incorrect

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*laughs in bergentruckung*

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

oldpainless posted:

My first impression of the game was incorrect

Tbh I thought it was a hilarious troll when you posted it lol

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Biplane posted:

Bear school, bitxh

Griffon or get out I laugh as I murder everything with magic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

unattended spaghetti posted:

Tbh I thought it was a hilarious troll when you posted it lol

It was, as all my posts are without exception hilarious and of the highest quality, but I thought someone might play the game expecting a soothing enjoyable experience and then discover it’s true nature and I couldn’t have that on my conscience

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

It was, as all my posts are without exception hilarious and of the highest quality, but I thought someone might play the game expecting a soothing enjoyable experience and then discover it’s true nature and I couldn’t have that on my conscience

Nobody believed you, your reputation is too strong. Oldtrustless

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Dust and Aliens is a very, very rough little roguelite for free on Steam that pretty much feels like someone's first game making project, but a really neat little touch is in the reload animation for a Shotgun that you essentially load by cramming in scrap metal.:

https://streamable.com/7v0z8m

The design of the loading flap and the little 'om nom nom' animation when you cram a bunch of nuts and bolts in there is just great. :allears:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Gotten into PowerWash Simulator, and while its probably been said before, the little timelapse of each job at the end is nice. Also nice is that each job has many little parts that each complete individually so it always feels like you're accomplishing something even if you haven't done much overall in absolute percentage.

It also doesn't have any way to make things worse for yourself. That doesn't sound like much, but I bounced off Viscera Cleanup Detail because it would let you mess up. Being able to focus on just washing, rather than washing, transporting garbage, cycling tools and also counting things and keeping track of various incidental details makes PowerWash really chill and relaxing when VCD felt almost like work.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ashsaber posted:

Gotten into PowerWash Simulator, and while its probably been said before, the little timelapse of each job at the end is nice

The first time I realized that the end-of-level time lapse is (not a major spoiler but it's a super fun detail)not just a generic animation but actually follows what you did was a :aaa: moment for me.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, that's such a fun element because i find myself thinking about what order to clean things so it looks cooler, or trying to guess where the camera is placed so i can draw something in the muck with the narrowest nozzle and watch myself slowly circle around the area until the drawing finally pops put of existence at the end. just a fantastic little touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a lot of fun doing co-op with someone who has played before because they know where the camera will be positioned, and thus can draw dickbutts in the dirt.