Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dwesa posted:

that article is from April

There's been nothing since then to suggest any change to the Russian military's predicament, though. It's the Russian military, for crying out loud. They are ridden with sloth, corruption, neglect and incompetency at every level, top to bottom. There's a good reason that the Russian armed forces is the byword of mockery and contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

"Remember, no Ukrainian."

EDIT: I admit, I'm not sure how different Ukrainian is to Russian.

I've heard it described usually one of two ways: as different as Dutch is to German, or as different as German is to English.

Maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I feel like there has been Russia will run out of ammo articles every few weeks and yet they still can outgun Ukraine easily.

Sure ammo dumps go boom and they ain't firing like they could a year ago but they still are lobbing a lot at Ukraine forces

One Ukrainian soldier, when asked about the ammo situation, said that what Russia considers "low stock" or "unsustainable" for artillery bombardments is still basically an excess of what they (Ukrainians) have to work with. They're firing less than they were before, but there's still a lot to go through and many ammo dumps that need to be destroyed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I've heard it described usually one of two ways: as different as Dutch is to German, or as different as German is to English.

Maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

As a person who speaks Dutch, German and some Russian, I'd say that Russian and Ukrainian are way closer than German and Dutch are, and German and English are more different still.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
students in Ingushetia can choose between diploma and mobilisation order or no diploma and prison

quote:

1/ Colleges in the Russian republic of Ingushetia are issuing diplomas only if the students accept a mobilisation order at the same time. If they refuse, they face being imprisoned for up to two years. ⬇️

2/ The Ingush news website Fortanga reports that students are being forced to go in person to receive their diplomas. They are immediately being handed a summons for mobilisation, in front of witnesses, and have to decide whether to accept it. Their decision is recorded.
If they refuse the summons, they face a 200,000 ruble fine, forced labour, arrest or imprisonment for up to two years.

3/ As a source tells Fortanga: "To get a diploma, you have to sign a summons to the army. Otherwise, you don't get a diploma in any way. Either you get a summons or you sign a waiver of the summons. So, if you receive a summons, it means you have to go to the army, but if you refuse to sign it, you are 'hello, motherfucker, it's prison."

4/ The practice is said to have been introduced "after the director of a college in Nizhny Achaluki announced at a meeting with the republic's governor, Mahmud-Ali Kalimatov, that 30 students from his establishment had been called up for military service."

5/ The idea was subsequently adopted by local military enlistment office staff. It's legal, as long as the right procedures have been followed. Educational establishments can serve summonses but can't write them out themselves – that has to be done by military enlistment offices. /end

Source:
https://t.me/fortangaorg/15944

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Russia is just kind of evil.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

god please help me posted:

Russia is just kind of evil.

More like forever stuck in the worst parts of the 20th century.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

"Remember, no Ukrainian."

EDIT: I admit, I'm not sure how different Ukrainian is to Russian.

all Slavic languages are pretty close and have a high degree of intelligibility, but no they are very much not the same language.

the real tricky Slavic language to parse for a speaker of the others is Sorbian.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Splorange posted:

More like forever stuck in the worst parts of the 20th century.

One of my favorite bits from Steven Colbert is when he went to Russia and was clearly followed by FSB and whatnot and he talked about it afterward where he's like "It pretends to be like the West. So you get this real sense that it's just another european city. But then something insane happens and you realize oh, no, it's not."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

fizzy posted:

There's been nothing since then to suggest any change to the Russian military's predicament, though. It's the Russian military, for crying out loud. They are ridden with sloth, corruption, neglect and incompetency at every level, top to bottom. There's a good reason that the Russian armed forces is the byword of mockery and contempt.

Knock knock

Whos there

The russian military

(Thats it, thata the joke)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676125554506964992
Terrorist Strelkov says that the situation near Bakhmut is deteriorating and they urgently are asking for reinforcements there.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1675520563073220610

War time social media sure is a thing.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 4, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

oh my god

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1675898648499044352
The results of the damaged fuel depot in Voronezh during the Wanker SS rebellion have been published now.

Hmm those capacitors need replacing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

"Why are you bloodlusty bloodlust ghouls cheering, that imperial colonist vulture innocent civilian is crying, she is about to lose her investment, pile of loot home at the Crimea. (please ignore the fact that the house was most likely taken in 2014 by Russians from some Ukrainian family kicked out for not being Russian enough.)"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I feel like there has been Russia will run out of ammo articles every few weeks and yet they still can outgun Ukraine easily.

Sure ammo dumps go boom and they ain't firing like they could a year ago but they still are lobbing a lot at Ukraine forces

Maybe they're running out of pipes?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

NoiseAnnoys posted:

all Slavic languages are pretty close and have a high degree of intelligibility, but no they are very much not the same language.

the real tricky Slavic language to parse for a speaker of the others is Sorbian.

Western slavic feels really distinct to eastern slavic languages to me. I don't speak any of them fluently but know a little Russian and can understand quite a bit of Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Macedonian through that. But Polish is completely unintelligible to me. Do native Polish speakers have an easier time understanding Russian and vice-versa?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Western slavic feels really distinct to eastern slavic languages to me. I don't speak any of them fluently but know a little Russian and can understand quite a bit of Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Macedonian through that. But Polish is completely unintelligible to me. Do native Polish speakers have an easier time understanding Russian and vice-versa?

Polish is pretty distinct even in West Slavdom. It’s kinda weird phonetically (retained the nasals from OCS and earlier, for example) and orthographically, but vocabulary wise once you get over the sound changes isn’t that hard to parse for most Slavs. The animacy/virility declensions are weird tho.

I spend a lot of time here working with Ukrainians adapting to writing in Czech and it’s crazy what they instinctively understand from Ukrainian but also what basic declensions and grammar they struggle with. animacy rules, participles, and counting are the big ones, since nearly every Slavic language does it slightly differently.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

kemikalkadet posted:

Regardless of the words they share, which seems to be quite a lot, don't ever tell a Polish person that it sounds similar to Russian unless you want a black eye.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Russia has domestic artillery shells production. They are never gonna stop having artillery shells to fire at Ukraine. When someone says they are running out they mean that their stockpiles are getting low and their shell usage converges on their production rate.

I have no idea why this causes so much confusion all the time. Some kind of language barrier thing? Does "running out" have a much narrower meaning in English than in other languages?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe they're running out of pipes?

Russia is indeed also running out of artillery platforms.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidh...sh=7b28005531ab

Russia’s Is Sending Its Heaviest Artillery Into Ukraine, And It Is Getting Destroyed

Russia’s giant 240mm self-propelled mortars are appearing in increasing numbers on the battlefield in Ukraine – and getting destroyed just as fast. The presence of this lumbering beast of war may be a sign that Russian artillery is increasingly overstretched and they are resorting to obsolete weapons with a poor chance of survival.

The 2S4 Tyulpan (“Tulip”) is the largest mortar in use in the world today. It is mounted on a tracked, armored vehicle, much like most modern self-propelled artillery, but rather than a long-range cannon it carries a huge, short-range mortar. The Tyulpan was first produced in 1959 and the last one rolled off the production line back in 1988, making it around 45 years old now – still younger than many of the tanks now in the Russian front line.

Modern artillery fire missions are often described as ‘shoot and scoot,’ in which vehicles fire a few shots and then rapidly change position to avoid counter-battery fire. This is vital for survival in high-intensity conflict like the current one in which both sides deploy artillery-spotting radar and drones are constantly looking for guns firing behind enemy lines. The Tyulpan is poorly suited to this type of warfare as it takes around 25 minutes to prepare for firing, and fires just one round per minute. The Paladin can fire its first round within sixty seconds of halting, and can fire a burst of eight rounds in one minute before moving on.

The heavy mortar’s short range also means it has to be placed well forward and into the zone where it is more likely to be spotted and can be targeted by enemy weapons further away.

The Tyulpan resembles medieval siege gun, brought up to gradually batter down fixed defenses over a prolonged period. It is a specialized weapon not adapted to modern mobile warfare , and so was not much seen in the early stages of the war.

Ukraine destroyed the first Russian Tyulpan in May 22, and Russia lost a total of nine in the year up to this June. In June however, a spat of videos appeared of Tyulpans being hit. Oryx, meticulous recorder of Russian losses, notes four in June. which suggests that the rate of loss has increased by 600% in one month. A recent video from the end of the month may show a fifth Tyulpan being destroyed which would indicate an even steeper rise, and some may have been destroyed which have not yet identified.

There are other signs too in the casualties they take that Russian artillery is being degraded. On Twitter, Richard Vereker has analyzed open-source intelligence on Russian losses compiled by Warpsotting and looked at the changes month by month. Losses of 152mm artillery pieces, which are the mainstay or Russia’s artillery and which have previously suffered the highest losses, have dropped below the smaller 122mm caliber weapons for the last two months. This may be an indication that, after losing more than 300 152mm self-propelled guns and 170 towed 152mm guns, Russia is starting to run low. (Or, perhaps even worse for them, they may be running out of 152mm ammunition).

The early phases of the war were marked by Russia’s massive superiority in artillery, sometimes described as a seven-to-one advantage in artillery pieces. That advantage is disappearing fast if it has not already gone, and Ukrainian forces are now using artillery like the German-made 155mm PzH 2000 and truck-mounted 155mm Caesars as well as U.S.-supplied HIMARS multiple launch rocket systems.

It is hard to get reliable information on the state of the war. But based on the available information on casualties, Russia’s heavy mortar losses may be the first signs of serious problems with its artillery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kemikalkadet posted:

I doubt it, Polish is indeed pretty far from Russian but knowing some slavic languages does help pick up the other languages with less effort.

I'm not a linguist but you can actually that some languages are kind of on a spectrum like Czech->Slovak->West Ukrainian->"standard" Ukrainian->Russian where each adjacent one is reasonably close to the other but the farther you go, the fewer similarities there are.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

We're so used to Ukraine "winning" the social media war with humorous meme-able tweets, the sudden reality at the end is all the more brutal.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt it, Polish is indeed pretty far from Russian but knowing some slavic languages does help pick up the other languages with less effort.

I'm not a linguist but you can actually that some languages are kind of on a spectrum like Czech->Slovak->West Ukrainian->"standard" Ukrainian->Russian where each adjacent one is reasonably close to the other but the farther you go, the fewer similarities there are.

they’re all essentially part of the same spectrum. Macedonian and Bulgarian are in some ways the most grammatically distinct (number of tenses, dropping of noun declension, more fixed word order), but you can still get a lot of the basics. my old ocs/comparative Slavic professor thought that Slovak was the most “central” for what it’s worth, but it also has some of the most dialectical variation, and that’s not even getting into the Rusyn, Ukrainian or Hungarian speaking areas.

But this is also why language politics get so intense here- because the ease of intelligibility tended to encourage these weird assimilation movements among the dominant Slavic language speakers of the area: e.g. Russians trying to eliminate Ukrainian for centuries, the Slovenská otázka in first republic Czechoslovakia, BCS, etc.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

When I visited Slovakia, I randomly browsed a magazine that was in the car and suddenly realized that I understand nearly everything that was written there. Written Slovak language is very similar to Belarusian except its Latin script, not Cyrillic.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like you can kind of understand the gist of the topic when hearing Russian and Ukrainian as a Pole. You also giggle a lot when reading Czech.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukraine has stated that the main thrust of the offensive would be occuring today (July 4th) and as early as a week ago was stating that the offensives main force had not been invested into the effort yet.

We will see if they were bsing or not today.
Ukraine might have a lot of offensive forces they're holding back, but they're doing this for good reason.

They've tried smaller frontal assaults that they didn't go so well. Russia has built up formidable defensive lines, and there's no point in organizing suicidal runs on them.

You'll likely to see slow, grueling attrition battles over the coming months instead of large scale maneuver warfare.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676147149929689090
Another unfortunate accident happened in one of the occupiers' warehouses near Yakymivka in occupied Zaporizhzhia oblast.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

lmao

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mmkay posted:

I feel like you can kind of understand the gist of the topic when hearing Russian and Ukrainian as a Pole. You also giggle a lot when reading Czech.

yeah, czech is kinda ridiculous, as much as i love it. but to be fair, czechs giggle a lot at Polish with things like szukać sounding exactly like šukat, which are 100% not cognates.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1676096503176110080

Russian political experts aren't really that good at being experts

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1676096503176110080

Russian political experts aren't really that good at being experts

The French rioting over an injustice is the same as our supposedly loyal leader of a deniable army of mercs turning against his master and nearly overrunning your country's capital. We are very smart. - Russian "experts", maybe

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Well it's definitely gonna take some convincing lmao

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

:stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man have the French shot down 7 military aircraft already? I knew French protesters were hardcore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh man have the French shot down 7 military aircraft already? I knew French protesters were hardcore.

All I can picture is French rioters wheeling the nose and cockpit section of an F-35 into a colossal guillotine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't speak either Ukrainian or Russian, but all the Ukrainian speakers I've ever heard talk about the subject have insisted that the two are quite distinct, with Ukrainian sharing almost as many similarities with e.g. Polish as it does with Russian. Although I suppose they have a vested interest in saying that, since the Russians have been attempting to exterminate the Ukrainian 'dialect' for centuries, including currently in the occupied areas. The Soviets also deliberately tried to make the two languages more alike by imposing Russian vocabulary wherever they could.

It really is a remarkably resilient language to have survived to the present day, and this war has given it a major prestige boost, with many reports of Russian speakers switching to it in significant numbers. Turns out that insisting their nation and language don't exist can rub people the wrong way. Another win for genius Putin :thumbsup:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Finally some evidence of a storm shadow that didn't make it's target.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676170491684438016

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Finally some evidence of a storm shadow that didn't make it's target.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676170491684438016

can we pleases link pictures directly for those of us without a nazi hellhole account? we can't pretend the website actually works anymore, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

My Spirit Otter posted:

can we pleases link pictures directly for those of us without a nazi hellhole account? we can't pretend the website actually works anymore, so

https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/110655175480590957