Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'd hope some not failing streaming service pays out big bux for Star Trek and can go "hey we have ALL the star trek you could ever want, so you should sub to us!"

Back to Netflix! For the rest of time Star Trek will be single season runs cancelled on cliffhangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Henry Alonso Myers and Mike McMahan are on pins and needles. Lower Decks S5 is already recorded and being animated at the moment, so presumably it's safe for the moment, but no one on that staff thinks S6 is guaranteed. HAM is internally prepping people for a Discovery situation (i.e., the cancellation notice comes down for S3, so they get to rewrite and re-shoot the season 3 finale as a series finale).

Starfleet Academy is still in the scripting stages and has been on ice since the WGA went on strike, same as the Section 31 movie. But they haven't struck the Discovery stages yet, with the thought of using them as a simulator for Starfleet Academy.

Edit: The reason people are on pins and needles is that Prodigy S2 is essentially done. There's more editing to be done but that's it. The animation is done, obviously the voices have been done for a while. And then it got shitcanned out of the blue. McMahan, especially, is getting radio silence from his Paramount bosses.

gently caress :smith:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

DaveKap posted:

While scrolling the thread I read this post and was going to reply "Really? All 1 of them?" but then the rest of the thread happened and now I'm sad. :(

I am now entertaining the curiosity... with Trek gone, who (if anyone) will try to fill the space sci-fi niche?

Can't imagine anyone else making a Star [Noun] show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wonder what the least-worst option would be for the franchise if Paramount just sold it off. Amazon, I guess? At least Bezos seems to have some semblance of a personal interest in sci-fi shows given The Expanse.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder what the least-worst option would be for the franchise if Paramount just sold it off. Amazon, I guess? At least Bezos seems to have some semblance of a personal interest in sci-fi shows given The Expanse.

He'd buy it just to get his own Elon Musk-esque insert.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Turns out Earth's utopia is actually the final state of Amazon's global dominance, replicators are actually PrimeReplicators and there's an underpaid worker on the other end shoveling everything you ask for into the transporter from a big stack

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

That episode was quite good but it can still gently caress off with this "we have to save Hitler" bullshit.

If you think about it if you killed Hitler you'd wipe your entire prior timeline from existence and kill everyone who existed in that time and then you'd be the Hitler

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Super Deuce posted:

The first thing he would do is dub over the line in the first episode of Discovery where Michael says Musk's name so she's saying Bezos instead.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't see Paramount selling off IP, studios never do that. It seems that everyone is expecting Paramount to die a slow death, like MGM (you may remember how they ended up cancelling all the Stargate shows because they couldn't afford to make episodes even though it was making them money) before getting bought out of bankruptcy. You'd think Disney would be watching going "aha, there's a niche here that's about to be unfulfilled" and bring back The Orville but they seem to have their own (entirely self inflicted) issues too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Super Deuce posted:

Shockingly enough he didn't do that for the Expanse.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

8one6 posted:

Shockingly enough he didn't do that for the Expanse.

Well we never got to the seasons with Duarte.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do love that The Expanse ended with everybody agreeing the best thing for the galaxy was forming a union, and the main character saying,"Yeah it would be better if a bisexual terrorist pirate ran poo poo" and loving off because he knew he wasn't the center of the universe :allears:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oh my god this PIC S3 enemy captain is so bad acting with gringy dialogue its a marriage made in hell.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jerusalem posted:

I do love that The Expanse ended with everybody agreeing the best thing for the galaxy was forming a union, and the main character saying,"Yeah it would be better if a bisexual terrorist pirate ran poo poo" and loving off because he knew he wasn't the center of the universe :allears:

It also ends with "huh, wonder where those weird martians went? Laconia what now? Probably fine."

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Oh my god this PIC S3 enemy captain is so bad acting with gringy dialogue its a marriage made in hell.

The best part is there’s no point to it. That character and their entire plot line could be dropped and not change the story at all.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think there's anyone who could buy it right now, considering that literally every other major studio right now is desperately casting off anything non-loadbearing to try to stay afloat. Amazon just dropped a billion dollars or whatever on that Lord of the Rings show that was supposed to be a culture-defining masterpiece but landed with a wet fart, so I both doubt they're looking for new franchises to buy or that they'd be a good steward of it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Idgi, I watch ads with my star traks. Why go away. Why!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

Idgi, I watch ads with my star traks. Why go away. Why!

Due to poor contract negotiations Paramount actually had to pay the advertisers every-time someone watched one of their ads.

So this is all on you.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Just lol forever if paramount can't ride to profitability on furry backs of the paw patrol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

The best part is there’s no point to it. That character and their entire plot line could be dropped and not change the story at all.

Yeah, this time they ensured that the antagonist lady isn't accidentally doing a better job with her role than 75% of the other cast. At least they had the common decency to airlock that mess of an act. What the gently caress was that all about, or that "slit my wrist to call my boss"? They do have normal communicators available, do they?

I also really like their commitment to forgetting that the previous season of PIC exist when they make a new one; this time it was conveniently memoryholed that there is also an actual Borg hive, which is allied to Starfleet. Rude for Jurati to not out the other Queen. Also, random people not noticing a Borg jump relay and cube inside Jupiter is another asspull, doesn't Jupiter have a permanent stations orbiting it?

And like probably said by many here, the story would have, again, been better if it had been about lesser stakes. "Beverly and Jack uncovered on a off-the-books medi-aid run that Borgs found a way to assimilate Founders, and have skinjobs now. Also, Jack is ill with something and Beverly cannot fix it." wasn't a big enough story for the season about families?

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 4, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gotta fit in a much Borg/cm.
Where cm stands for cum meter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, this time they ensured that the antagonist lady isn't accidentally doing a better job with her role than 75% of the other cast. At least they had the common decency to airlock that mess of an act. What the gently caress was that all about, or that "slit my wrist to call my boss"? They do have normal communicators available, do they?

I also really like their commitment to forgetting that the previous season of PIC exist when they make a new one; this time it was conveniently memoryholed that there is also an actual Borg hive, which is allied to Starfleet. Rude for Jurati to not out the other Queen. Also, random people not noticing a Borg jump relay and cube inside Jupiter is another asspull, doesn't Jupiter have a permanent stations orbiting it?

And like probably said by many here, the story would have, again, been better if it had been about lesser stakes. "Beverly and Jack uncovered on a off-the-books medi-aid run that Borgs found a way to assimilate Founders, and have skinjobs now. Also, Jack is ill with something and Beverly cannot fix it." wasn't a big enough story for the season about families?

Terry M'Talas is a hack. What more does one have to say?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Terry M'Talas is a hack. What more does one have to say?

Well, at least he is consistent, I have to give him that.

All three seasons of Picard, all three with the same outcome of "good to excellent premise, bad to mediocre implementation, with editing and cutting could be salvaged into a passable Star Trek movie".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Chairman posted:

I don't think there's anyone who could buy it right now, considering that literally every other major studio right now is desperately casting off anything non-loadbearing to try to stay afloat. Amazon just dropped a billion dollars or whatever on that Lord of the Rings show that was supposed to be a culture-defining masterpiece but landed with a wet fart, so I both doubt they're looking for new franchises to buy or that they'd be a good steward of it.

No-one is buying and Paramount ain't selling because Star Trek is one of the big franchises they own, not just license from someone else like they do with Transformers and Dreamworks stuff.

That's also probably why its constantly mishandled; there is no 3rd party production company or copyright owner looking after it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well yeah but maybe they'll pick it up in the bankruptcy auction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey, what's up everybody. I just picked up this science fiction franchise in a bankruptcy auction. it came as a bundle of a bunch of different shows. I'm challenging myself to see how many shows I can get repaired and running in the next 7 days. Let's get into it. Make sure to smash that bell and like and subscribe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know that trend where people buy old paintings at garage sales and paint dinosaurs into them for fun?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, at least he is consistent, I have to give him that.

All three seasons of Picard, all three with the same outcome of "good to excellent premise, bad to mediocre implementation, with editing and cutting could be salvaged into a passable Star Trek movie".

Or in SNW's case, take every major plot beat for all of Picard Season 2 and pull them off far more successfully in only 50 minutes instead of 10 hours.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mike the TV posted:

Episodes 1-8: "we must prevent this thing from happening at all costs. It is worth any number of lives to keep this thing from happening, which will doom everyone in the Federation."

Episode 9: "I think I'm gonna go do the thing. *does the thing*"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Episodes 1-8: "we must prevent this thing from happening at all costs. It is worth any number of lives to keep this thing from happening, which will doom everyone in the Federation."

Episode 9: "I think I'm gonna go do the thing. *does the thing*"

Episode 10: Well... that sure happened.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nine-gear crow posted:

Episode 10: Well... that sure happened.

Let us never speak of it again!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Or in SNW's case, take every major plot beat for all of Picard Season 2 and pull them off far more successfully in only 50 minutes instead of 10 hours.

Haven't seen it, I live in the hellscape of not-USA so our Paramount+ never had it. I think I literally need to order physical media to be able to watch SNW legally here.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Maybe, just maybe, they would be in a better situation financially if people could actually watch their new shows:thunk:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m pretty sure PeePlus is just a pump and dump scheme at this point.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

HD DAD posted:

I’m pretty sure PeePlus is just a pump and dump scheme at this point.

PeePlus is what I get from a pump and dump too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boxturret posted:

Maybe, just maybe, they would be in a better situation financially if people could actually watch their new shows:thunk:

The lag between catalog changes and subscription numbers is probably juuuuust enough that they can improve their quarterly numbers in the short term by cutting shows. On paper they still have all those subs and now they have less royalties to pay, so it cannot possibly be a bad decision.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is it actuallly P+ thats bleeding money or is it the massive debt load of the holding corporation thats the problem?

not that P+ is run well, or that you can really even figure this out with the byzantine nature of corporate accounting...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

PeePlus is what I get from a pump and dump too.

Cumming, making GBS threads AND pissing at the same time? How do you not kill yourself doing it?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Cumming, making GBS threads AND pissing at the same time? How do you not kill yourself doing it?

*Rikerishly* I thought I had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Make new shows
Make a streaming service
Release the streaming service in select regions
Split the shows up between several streaming services, varying by region
Don't release the new shows at all in other regions

Someone who is good at the television please help me plan this. my company is dying