Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

Install linux.

Kalman posted:

Reported, advocating for self-harm.

I did consider it after watching tech youtubes about linux mint and then was told to stay far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Perplx posted:

The only thing that’s really different is that the start menu is stuck in baby mode.

And context menus are worse
and the Taskbar is worse
and some core Windows apps are worse
and privacy is (arguably) worse
and explorer is worse
and search is (somehow) worse

But at least you get better HDR support

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lawman 0 posted:

Upgrading to windows 11 pro for my new computer. What do I need to know as a windows 10 user?

you need to buy startallback

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

And context menus are worse
and the Taskbar is worse
and some core Windows apps are worse
and privacy is (arguably) worse
and explorer is worse
and search is (somehow) worse

But at least you get better HDR support

Hey! That's not fair! You also get that thing where you windows go back to where they were when you reconnect a monitor or a dock.

But yeah that's it basically.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Falcon2001 posted:

Hey! That's not fair! You also get that thing where you windows go back to where they were when you reconnect a monitor or a dock.

But yeah that's it basically.

That thing has never worked for me so I have to use PersistentWindows

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Things I like about Windows 11:

* The subtle animations when windows open, minimize, maximize, or close; and on other little inconsequential actions.
* Windows remembering where they should go when DisplayPort monitors go to sleep and wake up
* The Settings app finally feels like a finished interface and not a half-assed attempt at porting half of Control Panel over
* Being able to run Android apps (and hack Google Play onto it) because Google won't loving finish the web interface for Google Home
* The UI's styling feels more consistent overall everywhere and less of a hodge-podge of the last 25 years of Windows history
* The emojis look less like rear end
* Proper support for big.LITTLE CPU scheduling

That's about it. The rest I'm pretty indifferent about, stuff that annoyed me when I first upgraded are things I just eventually got used to because it turned out they were mostly just matters of taste and familiarity with how things used to be.

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Upgrading to windows 11 pro for my new computer. What do I need to know as a windows 10 user?

You're not going crazy, win11 just randomly shifts your file explorer to the foreground if you leave it open

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

inset posted:

You're not going crazy, win11 just randomly shifts your file explorer to the foreground if you leave it open

This was driving me crazy, what the hell is up with that?

I was thinking I had some weird malware or something.

I jumped over to the dev builds because I don't care, my important stuff got moved off to another computer and it's fun, and it seemed to stop but why is it doing that in the first place?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Its a bug that's been fixed in the insider builds but hasn't rolled out to live

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I don’t want to bother cloning, what’s the best way to install a new primary drive? Switch the new drive into the old drive’s slot (because it’s the only gen 4 one), and then use the media installation tool to make a fresh Windows install, or can I handle that from within Windows?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

biznatchio posted:

Things I like about Windows 11:

* Being able to run Android apps (and hack Google Play onto it) because Google won't loving finish the web interface for Google Home

Thanks for letting me know this is possible! I thought that since the emulator shows up as supporting all architectures it would be able to take an exported APK of an android game and play it with no problems, but it would refuse it all the time!

The :pt: I recently did to Win11 made me finally leave legacy boot to UEFI and I am taking my time setting it up right.

Maybe it will give people inspiration.

• Installed all the apps using Winget/WingetUI so I could have a nice list to export.
  • Advice for Winget; do not try to install unzip and use apps (like sysinternals "autoruns" or process explorer)with it unless it's using "scoop". Scoop makes the symlinks which may require development mode turned on.
  • Used WingetUI to export all the applications to put into free ChatGPT.
  • First prompt is "Read this list of application names and respond only with OK: <paste your list of application names>"
  • Second prompt in the same chat something along the lines of "Create categories for the applications from before and sort the applications into those categories.
  • You can do things like " Create subcategories in the categories already created for applications made by the same publisher like Microsoft Office and Adobe"
  • Made folders and subfolders named after ones ChatGPT made and made shortcuts to put in each one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

If I don’t want to bother cloning, what’s the best way to install a new primary drive? Switch the new drive into the old drive’s slot (because it’s the only gen 4 one), and then use the media installation tool to make a fresh Windows install, or can I handle that from within Windows?

1. From current running windows create a install usb using https://rufus.ie so you can disable stuff like mandatory microsoft account
2. swap the drive and boot from the created usb

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MikusR posted:

1. From current running windows create a install usb using https://rufus.ie so you can disable stuff like mandatory microsoft account

Thanks. Should my old installations work without issue if I connect the old ssd as a secondary drive?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. Should my old installations work without issue if I connect the old ssd as a secondary drive?

Depends on how you define "without issue."

If the old install was UEFI then it should boot. You'll have to set boot order for the drives in the BIOS, and whether the Windows boot loader realizes there is more than one install available could mean that, without fixing that, you would have to manually select which drive you are booting from using the BIOS one-time boot menu.

The above is assuming you disconnected the old drive while installing to the new drive. If you had both installed then Windows would probably decide that the boot loader should live on your old drive, which can cause shenanigans of its own. Fixable, but can be annoying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So I guess the safest way to go about this is cloning after all. I just didn’t want to have to deal with manually deciding what to keep where (it would be easier to only move the things I know I’d want in the faster drive).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

So I guess the safest way to go about this is cloning after all. I just didn’t want to have to deal with manually deciding what to keep where (it would be easier to only move the things I know I’d want in the faster drive).

If you don't intend on ever booting from the old drive then doing a fresh install on the new drive while the old drive is disconnected should be pretty safe, but then you end up having a chunk of space on the old drive eaten up by Windows, recovery partitions, and another copy of the Windows bootloader that could potentially cause weirdness later. A clone followed by a reformat of the old drive reduces the number of variables in play.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

inset posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, thank you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah I can confirm the explorer priority bug is..not fixed in the update preview lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Another good way to install windows 11 is to use the enterprise trial, you can make a local account with hacks, the start menu is devoid of 3rd party apps and you can change it to pro after install.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rinkles posted:

My question is, old installations of what?

Games - Most will work fine once you find the exe and manually launch them, then you can make a new shortcut to your desktop or start menu. Save's though are more than likely out of luck, as most games keep those in the User folder now (which will be part of the original Windows install). Configurations are "usually" kept in the install directory.

Software - Office, cad, music, whatever. Probably same as games honestly. It will depend on where it keeps their configurations, addons, and the like.

Windows 10 - It should work if you swap it in place of the Win 11 drive.

That said, I'd pull the old drive, put in the new one, install fresh to it. Then I'd get a USB enclosure for the old drive (USB-C if you can, otherwise they are available as regular USB, just slower). If the Win10 drive is an nvme, they make a nice little portable drive once they are in an enclosure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Koskun posted:

My question is, old installations of what?

Games - Most will work fine once you find the exe and manually launch them, then you can make a new shortcut to your desktop or start menu. Save's though are more than likely out of luck, as most games keep those in the User folder now (which will be part of the original Windows install). Configurations are "usually" kept in the install directory.

Software - Office, cad, music, whatever. Probably same as games honestly. It will depend on where it keeps their configurations, addons, and the like.

Windows 10 - It should work if you swap it in place of the Win 11 drive.

That said, I'd pull the old drive, put in the new one, install fresh to it. Then I'd get a USB enclosure for the old drive (USB-C if you can, otherwise they are available as regular USB, just slower). If the Win10 drive is an nvme, they make a nice little portable drive once they are in an enclosure.

That’s exactly the problem. I don’t want to have to check on a case by case basis whether everything’s working, or find out half a year later that something’s borked.

As for the old drive. It’ll be more useful for me in the PC than a portable drive.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MikusR posted:

This looks nice! :)

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

god please help me posted:

I have a question. I'm used to setting up a local account in Windows 10 so I'd never have to use the default admin account for basic office use and internet browsing. Can I not do that in Windows 11? Currently I'm trying to do the same set up, but there are some things in Windows 11 that I can't affect in my local account, and it tells me to get permission from my admin instead.

Additionally, I find the UAC prompts different than Windows 10. In Windows 10, all I'd have to do when I want to install something or change a setting was type in the PIN associated with my admin account. In Windows 11 security prompt, it asks by default for the admin password instead of the PIN I set up. Sure, I could just click to sign in another way and get to enter the PIN then that way, but it's still one click extra and different than how it used to be.

Is this the normal Windows 11 experience, or are there settings I can change to resolve my problem?

Hey I'm making a followup post to this, but now my own administrator account on my Windows 11 PC got locked out. :wtc:

edit: I'm not sure I networked my computers correctly, but I got it working again. Just wait 10 minutes for the lockout to end, log in with my administrator account, and manually get permission to my own gatdang files on my PC. Then the other networked PC has permission to see said files. Yay!

I would still like it if I could just type in my authentication PIN by default in Windows 11 instead of the password, if anyone knows how to do that.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is there a place to see my password that I used when setting Win11 Pro up? That was two years ago, and Windows Hello with a PIN is how I sign in, but I realized I don’t remember my own machine’s password because of Hello’s PIN! I do have my own Administrator’s permissions if that matters.

Is it just my MS account password? I do know that/have it written down at any rate, but I’m thinking I’ll need the actual password to set up Remote Desktop login in the future. I’m the only person on this computer, but I’m thinking it has to be stored somewhere (unless it is just the MS Account, which I know).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you are logging in with MS account, then yes it's just your MS account password, and you can use online password reset/recovery for it even.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nielsm posted:

If you are logging in with MS account, then yes it's just your MS account password, and you can use online password reset/recovery for it even.

Great, thanks! Appreciate having that cleared up!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Seems like Apple Music (preview) for Windows is slowly slouching its way to Cupertino to finally be born*.

Its gotten quite a bit better? Its still not quite on par with iTunes but:

- Its fast and responsive.
- I can actually edit ID3 tags now (but not quite cause there's something weird with album art but I'm not sure if its the files)
- The mini-player is back!
- It says it'll manage your iTunes library but doesn't!
- Apple Device Manager actually sees my iPhone now and can do things!
- Oh! Most importantly, I can finally switch audio inputs while the program is running and it actually acknowledges the change (ie speakers to headset via software switch), which is something even iTunes never did.

The only feature I mildly miss but was expecting to go was Genius Playlists, though weirdly Genius data is still collected when I sync.

I get the LOL at managing an Apple Device on a Windows PC but things are getting slightly better? Until Apple forgets Windows exists again, I suppose.

*falcon can't hear the falconer without an Apple Music+ subscription.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Snuffman posted:

- The mini-player is back!

afaict, though, no always on top function

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snuffman posted:

I can finally switch audio inputs while the program is running and it actually acknowledges the change (ie speakers to headset via software switch), which is something even iTunes never did.

If you set iTunes to DirectSound you can switch audio devices.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Checked the two thread OPs but couldn't find it - there was this app that very usefully had a list of checkboxes to enable/disable certain Windows features that usually required regedit, does anyone recall what that was?

Oh found it https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 10, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it this https://www.startallback.com/

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

I just installed and oh my god there's no way to move the taskbar.

is StartAllBack the simplest way to get the taskbar on the left side? that's literally all I want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sur le web posted:

I just installed and oh my god there's no way to move the taskbar.

is StartAllBack the simplest way to get the taskbar on the left side? that's literally all I want.

Yeah it is

Just reinstalled it and upgraded my license. I like the taskbar in the middle but prefer the older start menu

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

prefer the older start menu

this one gets filled up so much more quickly. arguably the biggest downgrade of 11.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Latest Canary build...

quote:

Rust in the Windows Kernel
Rust offers advantages in reliability and security over traditional programs written in C/C++. This preview shipped with an early implementation of critical kernel features in safe Rust. Specifically, win32kbase_rs.sys contains a new implementation of GDI region. While this is a small trial, we will continue to increase the usage of Rust in the kernel. Stay tuned!
Nice they're trying new things. Now implement loving large pages for select performance critical things, ffs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else having an issue with StartAllBack's version of the start bar not showing on top of all windows? Or is that the expected behavior?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm having trouble connecting Bluetooth keyboards and mice with my new PC. Is that normal?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm having trouble connecting Bluetooth keyboards and mice with my new PC. Is that normal?

do you have the last bluetooth drivers from the manufacturer ? the bluetooth adapter ones not the devices

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Could be USB 3.0 interference. Typically you can connect but will sporadically lose the signal. A common solution is to use some kind of extender. Doesn't have to be very long. Some mice even come packed with them. If you have a small USB hub that might also work.

Assuming it's not something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh it was something else.
I forgot it had a USB dongle. :sweatdrop: