Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How many seasons of West Wing can you play out with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

How many seasons of West Wing can you play out with this?

there’s scenarios spanning from 2001-2020 that are either 4 or 8 years, and most of them have constructed decks of crisis cards representing their eras as well as other scenario specific setups. they each have specific victory conditions too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/War_Takes/status/1675858280034316289?t=COKkGTdOgenBb42ZsX3_bg&s=19

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think for my first game of mr. president tomorrow I’m going to set the difficulty to maximum and see how quickly I can burn it all down.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Bi-Partisan Co-Op Counter

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Bi-Partisan Co-Op Counter

Bi-Partisan Co-Op track

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ducklo simulator

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

having just come off the battlefield, lee was indeed a loving retard for thinking an assault across a mile of open ground would work

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

I bought and played and finished Aliens Dark Descent over the last week and that's a really good game. The very ending isn't great but I really enjoyed everything up to that point and it does some cool things that other tactics games haven't done. It's a meaningful development of the firaxis XCOM formula in a lot of ways, beyond just being real-time instead of turn-based.

It really is a great game, totally unique compared to what I've played. Imo the XCOM comparison is valid (on the strategic level anyway) but it doesn't convey the skin crawling tension of every moment on the tactical level. There's like a good half dozen unique things all smashed together going on. The ending was a bit of a let down though. I hope there's a DLC.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

having just come off the battlefield, lee was indeed a loving retard for thinking an assault across a mile of open ground would work

There’s a book about Union artillery at Gettysburg where the battalion and battery commanders had convened the previous day and thought the Confederates were trying to bluff them because even at a run each Confederate unit would be exposed to something like 3 round shots, 2 canister and 1 double canister per Union gun before reaching Union lines, which is like 50 lbs of lead and iron

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The time I went to Gettysburg really hit home just how loving stupid the whole thing was. It's not just an enormous amount of open ground it's up a loving hill.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'll post the rest somewhere when i'm not tired and doing laundry but here's pickett's charge from both ends

here is the view from the stepping off point of pickett's charge, the red dot in the distance is the high water mark of the confederacy

and the reverse from slightly aside the highwater mark at the angle with the red dot marking where i was standing in the top photo

e: and the two from the top of the pennslyvannia memorial which is about a quarter mile behind the highwater mark and to the side

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Jul 3, 2023

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Slavvy posted:

It really is a great game, totally unique compared to what I've played. Imo the XCOM comparison is valid (on the strategic level anyway) but it doesn't convey the skin crawling tension of every moment on the tactical level. There's like a good half dozen unique things all smashed together going on. The ending was a bit of a let down though. I hope there's a DLC.

The closest point of comparison I have is actually Partisans 1941, which is a game about controlling a squad of Soviet partisans and sneaking around setting up ambushes before Going Loud and murdering Germans and collaborators before running away. It's nowhere near as slick as Aliens but it's worth a look if that sounds interesting at all (which it should)

probably the only time I've seen a sympathetic portrayal of an NKVD officer lol

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

dumbass confeddies

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i would simply not walk up a hill to my death

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Popy posted:

i would simply not walk up a hill to my death

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

There’s a book about Union artillery at Gettysburg where the battalion and battery commanders had convened the previous day and thought the Confederates were trying to bluff them because even at a run each Confederate unit would be exposed to something like 3 round shots, 2 canister and 1 double canister per Union gun before reaching Union lines, which is like 50 lbs of lead and iron

Probably fine

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Rebel elan, and race hatered will surely carry the day- Robert E. Lee July 2nd 1863

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chad Jihad posted:

Probably fine

lol thanks for this, incredible

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the stupidest thing about picketts charge is that even if it succeeded and they took the ridge the artillery was on, theres a giant depression behind it swarming with reserves and even further back another ridge for the union to defend on

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they'll just do another charge, easy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they already tried it on Malvern Hill! and it didn't work then either!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC the union artillery held their fire that day during the rebel barrage so the rebels assumed that they were out of ammo, rather than saving it for the assault.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i believe it was that they all fired at the start of the rebel barrage and as the barrage continued individual cannons would stop firing and not fire again until the assault to make it seem like the barrage was taking out the union artillery pieces

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I will never not laugh at that stupid Faulkner quote after seeing the battlefield years on a trip years ago. yes indeed Will, one hopes southern boys can imagine dying uselessly, pointlessly, and stupidly because their commanding officer had the runs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
all right, I picked up "Napoleon's Russian Campaign" from the wargameDS sale but my only experience with 19th century warfare at this scale is the American Civil War so I'm going to need a crash course in Napoleonic tactics

as far as I know:

- infantry in square formation counters cavalry
- infantry should move in column, shoot in line
- infantry arms are much shorter ranged (2 hexes) during this period than in the ACW (4 hexes); because of this, it's much easier to close to within melee range

fake EDIT: looks like the manual has an overview -

quote:

In battle there is a sort of “rocks, scissors, paper” logic that operates. Artillery is very vulnerable to charging cavalry that can zip across the field and take batteries of cannon. Cavalry can be stopped by a sufficiently large force of infantry especially if they are formed into squares. Large groups of infantry are very vulnerable to artillery fire.

Infantry units, other than those indicated as restricted may detach skirmisher units. These units are excellent at harassing opposing troops. Skirmishers are also helpful in filling in gaps that may appear in your line. They are very vulnerable to charging cavalry unless they are placed in protective terrain like villages and woods.

The successful commander will use a combined forces approach as much as possible.

Cavalry can be used to threaten enemy artillery and possibly threaten opposing infantry into square. Accompanying artillery can then be employed to do serious damage to enemy infantry. When opposing infantry is sufficiently weakened the cavalry should be sent in to complete the job of routing the enemy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

IIRC the union artillery held their fire that day during the rebel barrage so the rebels assumed that they were out of ammo, rather than saving it for the assault.

fermun posted:

i believe it was that they all fired at the start of the rebel barrage and as the barrage continued individual cannons would stop firing and not fire again until the assault to make it seem like the barrage was taking out the union artillery pieces

the Russians Yankees are running out of ammo!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I will never not laugh at that stupid Faulkner quote after seeing the battlefield years on a trip years ago. yes indeed Will, one hopes southern boys can imagine dying uselessly, pointlessly, and stupidly because their commanding officer had the runs

I read a novel once about a fictional account of Erwin Rommel traveling to the US in the 1930s, where he meets William Faulkner, who takes him a tour of Civil War battlefields and tells him of the exploits of Nathan Bedford Forrest, and this is what teaches and inspires Rommel about maneuver warfare, which he then applies in France and North Africa.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think it's columns are just supposed to be an easier formation to maintain for inexperienced soldiers. So France drafting a bunch of fresh conscripts would lead to them using columns because they weren't drilled enough for other formations.

Also columns are more vulnerable to cannon balls since the shot would travel along the column instead of just a two or three ranks of the line.

Squares are useful for isolated lone infantry formations because they're harder to flank by the cavalry. Again because it's hard for the infantry formation to reorient itself to the direction the charge is coming from. They'd just meet them in a line, if possible, which maximizes the firepower directed at the charging enemy.

Otherwise your own cavalry would screen the flanks of the infantry line from the enemy cavalry.

The other thing is that people still love to talk about the bayonet charge because that's what usually broke the opposing formation. Once the enemy formation collapses they can be flanked and are at a disadvantage, and the cavalry can wipe them out completely if it's a rout.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Jul 4, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
from my experience in total war, columns are surprisingly underrated when it comes to moving a large mass of soldiers to where you want them taking up positions. The goofy warhammer maps really show how good that is because they have varied terrain and its easier to march a large number of units into a smaller space where they won't collide into each other and you can set them up easily. A cool bit of military realism undone completely by your samurai fighting aztec dinosaurs...

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

picketts charge is basically how i play Skaven

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I haven’t posted an update for my game for a while. I haven’t been working on it too intensively, as I’m focused on a job search. Still, there’s some progress. I’ve also had some nice playtest games with Orange Devil and
Megamissen.

I changed some things with terrain. None of the terrain features now grant VPs. I originally introduced it to make the end score more closely reflect close-fought games, but it actually had the opposite effect, as well as slowing down the game. It works better without them, and players already want to use terrain features to their advantage without an additional incentive.

Forests used to be pretty boring. Now they give a penalty to tanks. It’s not a huge one, since tanks positioned at the edge of a treeline is a pretty standard tactic, but it’s enough to deter tank attacks into forests.

Towns now give you a double VP penalty for escalating on them. Gassing or nuking a town is a pretty bad guy thing to do.

Now, for a deck. Do you like chess movement? Do you like wheels? Do you like ~elite operators~? Then the French Rapid Action Corps is for you.

It was designed by a friend rather than by me, so it isn’t quite as polished yet, but has some neat things going for it. Why a corps instead of a division? The corps itself was pretty small, and the units in it generally were not particularly well equipped back in the 80s. In the early 90s they were extremely tooled up, but in the 80s to get an interesting mix of equipment, you had to look at the bigger picture. This does mean that decks in the game range from a regiment to an army corps, but I figure only grogs would find that objectionable.

The starting hand already shows this is a very different playstyle to the others. Besides a typical mortar barrage, we have some interesting thing on. Paratroopers are on foot, and so cannot move between positions with regular orders. They’re simply too far away to march on the timescale a single match is supposed to represent. However, they can be deployed on any non-hostile position, even if you don’t have a logistical chain back to your deployment zone.

Since FAR were pretty much colonial troops that would be redeploying to Europe in an emergency, they don’t have any particularly heavy gear. They rely on fast-moving recon units with a big gun. These units can advance into an enemy position, reveal what’s there, and then get to decide whether to fight or return to their starting position.

The Mephisto is a tank destroyer. It does not have a high combat power by itself – because it is, after all, unarmoured – but it gives a penalty to all enemy tanks in the same combat.

Finally, the movement order is a Flanking Action. It’s incredibly flexible, allowing you to move in almost any direction, except for directly forward or back.

Within the deck, you have another 2 ERC-90s, and two AML-90s – which are basically the same, but not amphibious.

You also get another Mephisto, and three AMX 10 RCs. With a little bit of armour and a low-pressure 105mm, it’s the most powerful ground recon unit in the game.

You also get another two cards of paratroopers, and the special Airlift order that lets you move them to any space. That can be used to attack, but that is very risky. Not only do they only have 1 Str. on the attack like all basic infantry, but while moving they count as helicopters and can be shot down by ground anti-air or by fighters.

The last two unit cards are Foreign Legion in VABs. They’re nothing special on their own. However, there is a card that makes them insanely dangerous. The Battle of Camarón (or Camerone according to the French) is a core part of the mythology of the Foreign Legion, symbolizing a fight to the death while outnumbered. Both of the French decks in the game have an Esprit card, because, you know, élan and all that. If you play Camerone on a French Foreign legion in combat, everything in that position dies, including friendly units. That can be a massively beneficial trade, however – for example if you take out a platoon of T-80s. On the other hand, such a sacrifice makes the ground important to hold. This position now grants +1 VP to the holder at the end of the game.

In effect, this is an incredibly powerful card, but a very hard one to play. It’s a gamble: you only have two units of French Legion, and one Camerone in the deck, and you need to have them in your hand at the right time to take advantage. On the other hand, the enemy knows that attacking any position held by the Foreign Legion may end in disaster and will be hesitant to commit strong units.

Since most of your units are very weak, you’re very vulnerable to artillery. You have a single counter-battery card so that you’re not totally helpless.

You do, however, have significant air assets. First, you have a Mirage F1 CR, which you can play as a fighter, light strike, or recon card. This may be one of the most useful single cards in the game.
You also have a recon gazelle armed with a 20mm cannon.

The Mirage 2000C introduces the mechanic of a modern (for the time), high-performance fighter. As of now, a fighter+ played against an airstrike cancels the airstrike in addition to shooting down the enemy jet. The Mig-29 will be the same. I’m also intending to have another level of performance to represent the flagship air superiority jets like the F-15 and Su-27. Those will be able to resist one enemy fighter. I might flip the fighter+ and air superiority mechanics, depending on feedback from playtesting. Anyway, within the FAR, the Mirage will help you achieve air superiority, and protect your vulnerable units from airstrikes.

And finally, the FAR deck has significant air to ground power with a Jaguar and two HOT Gazelles. Mechanically, jets and helicopters are the same as of now, and it’s only a flavour difference, but I might change that in the future.

And that wraps it up. In summary, the FAR is a highly mobile force with a very large number of units (for a NATO deck), but those units are very weak. This is compensated for by significant air power, and the most – and best – recon in the game.
Playtests so far have shown that it’s pretty well balanced against the default Soviet Motor Rifle deck, but might be too weak against a Soviet Tank division. It might need a small buff, but more testing is needed before I commit to that.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Jul 4, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I have some comments, even having never played it:

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The starting hand already shows this is a very different playstyle to the others. Besides a typical mortar barrage, we have some interesting thing on. Paratroopers are on foot, and so cannot move between positions with regular orders. They’re simply too far away to march on the timescale a single match is supposed to represent. However, they can be deployed on any non-hostile position, even if you don’t have a logistical chain back to your deployment zone.

The idea of paratroopers is nice, though this makes these guys really limited in what they can do since they a) can't combat drop, and also b) can't move to cut enemy supply lines. The only real use I see is using air or operation recon to reveal an enemy key supply unit, kill it with air or artillery, and then drop these guys in to hold the area and keep the supply cut off for a long while. Deck will need enough recon and air/artillery to pull that off though, so let's see. In any case, having these guys in your starting hand just blows, since you want to deploy them immediately so you can draw more cards. In the opening hand they're just worse infantry in every way and the whole paratrooper thing is wasted since NATO can always deploy wherever they want anyway. I'd much rather have these guys in my deck than my opening hand.

quote:

Since FAR were pretty much colonial troops that would be redeploying to Europe in an emergency, they don’t have any particularly heavy gear. They rely on fast-moving recon units with a big gun. These units can advance into an enemy position, reveal what’s there, and then get to decide whether to fight or return to their starting position.

The Mephisto is a tank destroyer. It does not have a high combat power by itself – because it is, after all, unarmoured – but it gives a penalty to all enemy tanks in the same combat.

Within the deck, you have another 2 ERC-90s, and two AML-90s – which are basically the same, but not amphibious.

I think you mean NBC resistant rather than amphibious, since according to the card they are both amphibious. So far everything is also dinky as all hell, makes me deadly afraid of enemy recon and some artillery/air, or a solid tank, but let's see what else shows up.

quote:

You also get another Mephisto, and three AMX 10 RCs. With a little bit of armour and a low-pressure 105mm, it’s the most powerful ground recon unit in the game.

Strong for a recon, dinky for a tank, interesting though, I'm afraid I'd just get myself artillery or aired to death after I reveal myself scouting, even if I do nope out.

quote:

You also get another two cards of paratroopers, and the special Airlift order that lets you move them to any space. That can be used to attack, but that is very risky. Not only do they only have 1 Str. on the attack like all basic infantry, but while moving they count as helicopters and can be shot down by ground anti-air or by fighters.

OK here's a way to use my paratroopers to cut supply, but gently caress me it even makes them even dinkier. Also costs me 2 orders = 2 slots in hand to really do something. Seems like a huge cost for relatively low impact unless literally everything goes right.

quote:

The last two unit cards are Foreign Legion in VABs. They’re nothing special on their own. However, there is a card that makes them insanely dangerous. The Battle of Camarón (or Camerone according to the French) is a core part of the mythology of the Foreign Legion, symbolizing a fight to the death while outnumbered. Both of the French decks in the game have an Esprit card, because, you know, élan and all that. If you play Camerone on a French Foreign legion in combat, everything in that position dies, including friendly units. That can be a massively beneficial trade, however – for example if you take out a platoon of T-80s. On the other hand, such a sacrifice makes the ground important to hold. This position now grants +1 VP to the holder at the end of the game.

In effect, this is an incredibly powerful card, but a very hard one to play. It’s a gamble: you only have two units of French Legion, and one Camerone in the deck, and you need to have them in your hand at the right time to take advantage. On the other hand, the enemy knows that attacking any position held by the Foreign Legion may end in disaster and will be hesitant to commit strong units.

I don't think the VP is ever going to matter. This does mean you basically want to use the FFL as a bunch of suicide bombers to blow up a concentration of enemy forces, like an ultra-effective escalation. Other than that, just more dink though. Deck is all dink, no meat so far.

quote:

Since most of your units are very weak, you’re very vulnerable to artillery. You have a single counter-battery card so that you’re not totally helpless.

I think you're going to get blown the gently caress up with this deck. Either by the artillery assets of the default Pact deck or the heavy tanks of the tank division deck.

quote:

You do, however, have significant air assets. First, you have a Mirage F1 CR, which you can play as a fighter, light strike, or recon card. This may be one of the most useful single cards in the game.
You also have a recon gazelle armed with a 20mm cannon.

These are very nice, flexible cards.

quote:

The Mirage 2000C introduces the mechanic of a modern (for the time), high-performance fighter. As of now, a fighter+ played against an airstrike cancels the airstrike in addition to shooting down the enemy jet. The Mig-29 will be the same. I’m also intending to have another level of performance to represent the flagship air superiority jets like the F-15 and Su-27. Those will be able to resist one enemy fighter. I might flip the fighter+ and air superiority mechanics, depending on feedback from playtesting. Anyway, within the FAR, the Mirage will help you achieve air superiority, and protect your vulnerable units from airstrikes.

This is real sweet.

quote:

And finally, the FAR deck has significant air to ground power with a Jaguar and two HOT Gazelles. Mechanically, jets and helicopters are the same as of now, and it’s only a flavour difference, but I might change that in the future.

These are real nice. However, given how dinky your units are, (plus lack of entrenchment cards to make them sturdier) and not having a 3 str artillery / air card, I feel like this deck will have an immense struggle taking out the heaviest tanks in the pact tank deck, and huge difficulty staying alive against the artillery of the default pact deck.

Overall comment:
Maybe you want to put all the paras in the deck and put the FFL in the opening hand?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Jul 4, 2023

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Yep, it might need a decent buff, the tank deck is a real challenge. So far only one playtest of that match-up though, need more data.

We've had 4-5 matches between FAR and Motor Rifle deck and it actually turned out much more balanced than I initially expected. The weak units absolutely do die easily, but on the other hand there are a lot of them. The US 8th Infantry division has 9 units out of 28 cards. The 39th Motor Rifle has 14. The FAR has 16, and as defenders they do benefit from terrain more often than not.

Orange Devil posted:

Overall comment:
Maybe you want to put all the paras in the deck and put the FFL in the opening hand?

That's a very good idea. I want to do one or two playtests as is, then give that a try.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

have you made any changes to the pact tank deck?
i would suggest making the pontoon bridge cards in adition to its current use on the river terrain also reduce the penalty on the bridge terrain
currently they feel a bit too situational

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

t's a very good idea. I want to do one or two playtests as is, then give that a try.

if you see me online on steam and need someone to play feel free to ask

---

with how many city builders are coming out im surprised that none of them try to do the same concept towns did
it was one of the earliest early access games on steam i think and one of the first scandals as the developers abandoned it and ran away with the money which is sad, i loved the concept
it was kinda like a tristram simulator, you built your town on top of a giant cave/dungeon and heroes would come and explore, fight, and loot and use the services you built up in your town similar to majesty

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Majesty owns, and the fact that nobody ever did anything similar (don't talk about Majesty 2) is real weird.

That said, Against the Storm is my favorite city builder in a very long time.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Orange Devil posted:

Majesty owns, and the fact that nobody ever did anything similar (don't talk about Majesty 2) is real weird.

That said, Against the Storm is my favorite city builder in a very long time.

i never played majesty (seems very stressfull, have watched someone play though) but having little guys you can watch run around and fight on their own is very entertaining
adding a customizable name list (or custom hero creation if they have traits and/or visual customization) would be a good adition, especially for streamers

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm very dissapointed that Skylines 2 is going to be doing parking lots

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KomradeX posted:

what else did you expect from the Traffic Guys

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KomradeX posted:

I hope there are minimum parking requirements for basically all buildings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It's so good, ant farm simulator vibe games rule. I guess you could say all the dwarf fortress clones inherited the legacy but theres important differences