Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I don't get why those girls are acting like there's something weird about running into a possum at summer camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Yaaaaayy :yayclod:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pulsarcat posted:

I don't get why those girls are acting like there's something weird about running into a possum at summer camp.

i do genuinly like the on going joke of "no one can really tell these giant monsters are deamons or at least not human" also moxxie got taller.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats what i thought and why i didnt really care for the pilot and episode 1 and then loo loo land happens and THAT SCENE and i am hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9F8nl9kIwg

quote:

while i think the show has issues(some character designs are kinda way overly busy and etc) but alot of complaints always seem loving insane.

https://twitter.com/mistmistly/status/1673430312112766982

there is weirdly big hatemob for this show.

I've seen a couple videos now on the "controversy" of the last episode and why the creators need to apologise for making Beelzebub a fox.

That's it. That's the controversy :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've seen a couple videos now on the "controversy" of the last episode and why the creators need to apologise for making Beelzebub a fox.

Just literally any reason to take a swing at Viv, huh?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Loona shouting SHUT THE gently caress UP makes me laugh every time

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dawgstar posted:

That's how you know you've made it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That and a bunch of weirdos are mad she didn’t name that one hellhound in the skull shirt and jacket and are getting death threaty over it.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, her hate mob is weird.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
A friend just exposed me to a few episodes of The Brothers Grunt. What the hell was wrong with Danny Antonucci, and how'd he get it fixed between that and Ed Edd n Eddy?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That and a bunch of weirdos are mad she didn’t name that one hellhound in the skull shirt and jacket and are getting death threaty over it.

Don't worry that's been taken care of

https://twitter.com/vivziepop/status/1676062914565001218?s=46&t=kZWAqMGdmc1-gN1vj40mWg

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mutantIke posted:

A friend just exposed me to a few episodes of The Brothers Grunt. What the hell was wrong with Danny Antonucci, and how'd he get it fixed between that and Ed Edd n Eddy?

The legend goes that Antonucci was dared to make a kid's cartoon after Brothers Grunt.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

I Am Fowl posted:

Agreed; Winston is basically the only one who brings it close to working because he's a character you can understand and he's more flexible than the other characters in terms of trying to make the situation work. Not just as a show, but in the reality of the show, he's the only one trying to meaningfully help Emma/Melinda and it balances the dynamics of the group while the others either just rigidly go "We must do X" or insist they must stop fighting without making any actual effort to stop their conflict.

Maybe the second season will be better, but again it's so strange how this feels so thin compared to something like Primal which had almost no dialogue.

Yeah, seriously. I finished watching the season last night and it's wild to think that this is ostensibly an action show but the love triangle is the only part of the plot that has anything at all interesting going on. It's also weird how in spite of multiple characters (including seemingly well-informed characters like Merlin and the Rakshasa) constantly talking about the absolute gravity of the situation and how catastrophic everything is the actual stakes feel completely absent to me. I was hoping Winston or Emma would chime in at some point and ask a basic question like "so what exactly is this thing we've pledged to fight an eternal war against and why does it want to destroy existence?" since, again, we've got Merlin right there who presumably could at least partially answer those questions (or admit that even he is out of his depth and is making it up as he goes). I get that the other warriors have been doing this forever and so maybe already know (Seng, Melinda) or just don't care (Edred), but I'm just sitting here lost. Even though I think the quality of the voice acting is good, the characters sure don't seem to have anything to add most of the time.

It's a good thing that this show looks as incredible as it does, because otherwise I would've checked out a long time ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly that works. The dude looks like a prep so that works.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Classy Devil posted:

It's also weird how in spite of multiple characters (including seemingly well-informed characters like Merlin and the Rakshasa) constantly talking about the absolute gravity of the situation and how catastrophic everything is the actual stakes feel completely absent to me. I was hoping Winston or Emma would chime in at some point and ask a basic question like "so what exactly is this thing we've pledged to fight an eternal war against and why does it want to destroy existence?" since, again, we've got Merlin right there who presumably could at least partially answer those questions (or admit that even he is out of his depth and is making it up as he goes). I get that the other warriors have been doing this forever and so maybe already know (Seng, Melinda) or just don't care (Edred), but I'm just sitting here lost.

This is a really good point and why everything felt so anti-climatic to me. Hell, I thought them showing the Warriors constanrly loving up London or whatever its called so much would be important but other than Emma/Melinda feeling a little bad no one seems to care. Or those 2 people that are descended from previous Warriors but they only show up a couple of times.

It felt like I was watching a show where I jumped in on Season 3 with no prior knowledge of the cast or plot.

Even them going back to the Elven kingdom felt rushed and dumb. Its a large kingdom that has been hidden for 1000s of years but its somehow a day's drive from a major city if not a national capital? And they've been fighting a bloody war for centuries?

I didn't hate the show and will probably watch the next season but it still irritated me they told/showed us very little to explain things even a little bit.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffle! posted:

That's how you know you've made it.

Horrifying but true. You have no idea how much I think about this and what it means to actually put yourself out there and hope for success.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
How the gently caress am I just now discovering Helluva Boss? Just binged season 1 and it was enough to merit a Patreon subscription from my otherwise stingy pocketbook.

Only complaint I've got is that Millie's woefully underdeveloped compared to the other characters so far.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

How the gently caress am I just now discovering Helluva Boss? Just binged season 1 and it was enough to merit a Patreon subscription from my otherwise stingy pocketbook.

Only complaint I've got is that Millie's woefully underdeveloped compared to the other characters so far.

You're not alone in feeling that way, Viv made a thread on twitter to talk about Millie:

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1635001106874114049

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cugel the Clever posted:

if it helps I only got lucky cuz someone retweeted the Helluva Boss Pilot and i just followed since. Otherwise yeah probably would not of heard of this series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You're not alone in feeling that way, Viv made a thread on twitter to talk about Millie:

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1635001106874114049

Yeah, she said in another thread that the show is made you binge watch and everything clicks a lot better. The obvious issue is they have only finally hit a solidish release schedule. So all these characters and plots are left hanging for months or more.

I do think loo loo land is really where everything clicks for me. You get why stolas in the show and he goes from weird joke character to probably one of the emotional hearts of the show. You also get that the show isn’t gonna just be a work comedy about assassins daemons.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's literally turned in to a, "look at this bitch eating crackers," deal. They'll get mad at anything and I just can't take it seriously.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

It's literally turned in to a, "look at this bitch eating crackers," deal. They'll get mad at anything and I just can't take it seriously.

Probably answering my own query here but I don't think these people have meaningful lives. I mean otherwise wouldn't they be doing something other than obsessing over this? There's tons of other shows to watch or cool things to do rather than hate watch a series so you can circlejerk about how much you hate the creator. This might be the autism talking but I genuinely do not get it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah it's quite the fun little show. I look forward to them developing Millie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Probably answering my own query here but I don't think these people have meaningful lives. I mean otherwise wouldn't they be doing something other than obsessing over this? There's tons of other shows to watch or cool things to do rather than hate watch a series so you can circlejerk about how much you hate the creator. This might be the autism talking but I genuinely do not get it.

I think it’s because in this day and age, you can’t just not like a thing. You have to have a moral reason to not like it and also hate it and think everyone who likes it is bad. It’s hyper partisanship but for fandoms.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Happy Landfill posted:

bitches do be eating crackers tho

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at having a shitfit with no name backgorund characters.

also some hellhound thats generic and unremarkable , like the only BG char I remember is the imp girl with the arm cast and the three doggos when Bee is supersizing a taco and drinks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The imp with the cast is actually one of the animators!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TwoPair posted:

And if you're watching everything Kon ever made, make the time to watch Paranoia Agent. Especially episode 10 for a great peek inside the anime industry! :v:

And then watch Shirobako. It even passes the Bechdel Test!

Also it's not unusual for people to put themselves or their coworkers into the backgrounds of shows as easter eggs, whether that's self-portraits or their fursonas when applicable. These days it's also a way of helping to promote things because social media can amplify the cameos and draw in attention from fans of the animators that might have otherwise slept on it.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 5, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don’t understand where the Millie concern is coming from. Because she hasn’t been the solitary focus of an episode yet? She’s my favorite drat character on the show. She’s confident, capable, and clearly knows what she wants out of life. One of the best lines in the show is when she’s stuck in the bear trap in her parents cellar and Moxie goes off with the pistol he forgot he had and she says “Moxie, I love you, but for gently caress’s sake!”

Not every character needs to be a depression elemental with a tragic backstory in order to be “developed”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t understand where the Millie concern is coming from. Because she hasn’t been the solitary focus of an episode yet? She’s my favorite drat character on the show. She’s confident, capable, and clearly knows what she wants out of life. One of the best lines in the show is when she’s stuck in the bear trap in her parents cellar and Moxie goes off with the pistol he forgot he had and she says “Moxie, I love you, but for gently caress’s sake!”

Not every character needs to be a depression elemental with a tragic backstory in order to be “developed”.

"I'm not good with my hands? .."

nah her and moxxie are the highlight of the show for me because i am kinda sick of couples that loving hate each other in shows in general(why i kinda hate earlier seasons of rick and morty then the later ones). I like that millie has an actual happy childhood and family and poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not to kill conversation but I feel like this show could have its own thread, it tends to dominate discussion here when it comes up and there's people who would probably discover it and enjoy it that way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Countblanc posted:

Not to kill conversation but I feel like this show could have its own thread, it tends to dominate discussion here when it comes up and there's people who would probably discover it and enjoy it that way.

I think that's more down to the current crop of animation for adults being such weak tea at the moment. If there was more to talk about, we would, you know?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love that Millie knows exactly who she is, what she wants from life and is absolutely happy about it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t understand where the Millie concern is coming from. Because she hasn’t been the solitary focus of an episode yet?
I haven't finished season two yet, but Viv's tweet pretty much nails the essence of the (good faith) critique: there's been fairly little explored beyond her dynamic with Moxxie, with only the one episode digging into her background a little still seeming Moxxie-focused. That absolutely does not require her to be a depression elemental, just for some narrative impetus beyond her man.

And I love the dynamic we see with Moxxie! Millie just deserves a little more and we've apparently got that in store this season.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 5, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Countblanc posted:

please do this imo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I get it but as mentioned there isn’t a whole lot else to talk about at the moment so :justpost:. You can be drat sure it’ll be Venture o’clock here in a few more weeks.

I wouldn’t be particularly tore up if it was though. Don’t think I care enough about the property to bookmark it if it did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Countblanc posted:

agreed. I am surprised ther hasnt been a HB/HH thread yet. Id build it but i suck at starting threads. maybe ill try later.

Dawgstar posted:

I think that's more down to the current crop of animation for adults being such weak tea at the moment. If there was more to talk about, we would, you know?

yeah. there is some good stuff but yeah.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I wouldn't be opposed to a Hazbin/Helluva thread :haibrow:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to a Hazbin/Helluva thread :haibrow:

Same, I think it's got enough episodes under it's belt now that it can handle it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What?! Do you think I'm some sort of loving clown!?

...Mmmaybe! *queue laugh track*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

What?! Do you think I'm some sort of loving clown!?

...Mmmaybe! *queue laugh track*

https://twitter.com/skullmandible/status/411281851131523072?s=46&t=gHjeBT_8Id9LohZbY-QbcA