Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OgNar posted:

Fox makes it look like a hooker peed all over me.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1674019724101836800

Every news outlet has to buy the pics to be able to use them. Unless they send their own people.
And hasn't Donald been restricting Fox access to him for a while now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what does he consider the flattering photos to look like?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I am assuming they are using perfectly average pictures and he's just complaining that he doesn't look like one of those political cartoons that draw him as superman.

Also this is his way of blaming someone else for not looking great.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

Basically the way Ben Garrison draws him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

Big hands

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

To be honest, I find it completely plausible that a white liberal would say this, and not really mean it, but mean it a little bit. Left-of-centre whiteness has the bad habit of assuming that just because we aren't intentionally and loudly racist, that we're not racist at all, and -- well -- that's just not true.

The right-wing plausibly not-racist position on this subject is "Black people can compete on merit, it's racist to say otherwise" which denies the existence of systemic racism, and the left-wing ignorantly racist position is "Black people need help because, gosh darnit, they just have it so hard that they can't otherwise compete," which is also mostly ignoring systemic racism inasmuch as it fails to name the actual problem. White people do not enjoy talking about systemic racism because it reflects poorly on them and might make them feel like they didn't actually earn what they have (which is often true).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know, not that there aren't people with the tweet's "King of the Hill"-style liberal cartoon character perspective, but I think that accounting is probably bad-faith reading of his aunt saying "the meritocracy won't be enough to lift black people up, because they have to contend with discrimination."

Michele Obama's "black people have to be twice as good to get the same result" basically.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PT6A posted:

To be honest, I find it completely plausible that a white liberal would say this, and not really mean it, but mean it a little bit. Left-of-centre whiteness has the bad habit of assuming that just because we aren't intentionally and loudly racist, that we're not racist at all, and -- well -- that's just not true.

The right-wing plausibly not-racist position on this subject is "Black people can compete on merit, it's racist to say otherwise" which denies the existence of systemic racism, and the left-wing ignorantly racist position is "Black people need help because, gosh darnit, they just have it so hard that they can't otherwise compete," which is also mostly ignoring systemic racism inasmuch as it fails to name the actual problem. White people do not enjoy talking about systemic racism because it reflects poorly on them and might make them feel like they didn't actually earn what they have (which is often true).

The problem is, the "merits" are determined by old rich white people.

And, man. I said it yesterday but you'd think that RWM and their listeners would be jumping for joy at the SCOTUS rulings this week but nope. THey're just as mad as they always are because some people disagree with the rulings.

The "refusing to provide service" one is interesting to me.

I remember being asked to design a rather graphic and very nasty anti abortion pamphlet at a printing job I worked at. I didn't flat out refuse, even though I wanted to, and simply had another employee work on it but where is that line drawn? I've turned down freelance work for gun shops, political candidates and certain churches before. I suppose that, after just writing that out, I answered my own question: that refusing that work didn't "discriminate" against people based on things they can't control like race or sexual orientation and was more a decision I made not to lend my talent to things that I inherently disagree with.

On the other hand, I HAVE designed some stuff for a few Republican political candidates and also some police department stuff, despite my personal opinions. Pretty sure if I had just flat out refused to work on the pro life piece and do my job though, I'd have been fired.

What if I say that, as an atheist, my religion (or lack of one) prohibits me from working on the Total Assholes Church of Republican Jesus Christ newsletter that my company gave me? I used to layout one for a church a while back and I noticed that, every week, there was a "god bless/lord, please look over person's name" footnote section and it ALWAYS local or national republicans. George W. Bush, the local Republican Sheriff, a GOP Governor, etc.

I wasn't prepared to die on that hill and have a cow about it. I did the work anyway but aren't my religious beliefs legitimate also?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What we have learned is that the only acceptable way to practice religion in the US is to be a complete piece of poo poo about it, just an absolute rear end in a top hat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Didn't chuds already turn on this guy? Why would they listen to anything he says now?
https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1674865180767838233?t=qPbl-iWLvHhEIRRtR83Abg&s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Didn't chuds already turn on this guy? Why would they listen to anything he says now?
https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1674865180767838233?t=qPbl-iWLvHhEIRRtR83Abg&s=19

Maybe he can illegally give CBP agents some of his guns that he hasn't yet loaned out to his friends who couldn't get gun licenses.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There was, of course, a perfectly good explanation.

"CBP RESPONDS: A CBP official tells me a Border Patrol boat encountered a group of migrants with several small children, and that in order to quickly apprehend them and get them out of the heat, a BP agent cut the razor wire to access the area “consistent w/ federal law”."

Those shoes and gorilla statue are choice alpha energy
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1674937012300726272

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lmao
https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/1674938576344080385?t=pIkqGUBEGVYsgg8vjluuzg&s=19

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Hey, I'm pretty sure I have those pants too, Tucker! Old Navy Rockstar Super Skinnies, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What is that on the table

is that a dollar print gorilla

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
did Tuck fly to Romania to have a face to face with Tate?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

did Tuck fly to Romania to have a face to face with Tate?

He doesn’t have anything else going on right now anyway

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Discendo Vox posted:

What is that on the table

is that a dollar print gorilla

And gold, yes.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What if I say that, as an atheist, my religion (or lack of one) prohibits me from working on the Total Assholes Church of Republican Jesus Christ newsletter that my company gave me? I used to layout one for a church a while back and I noticed that, every week, there was a "god bless/lord, please look over person's name" footnote section and it ALWAYS local or national republicans. George W. Bush, the local Republican Sheriff, a GOP Governor, etc.
You would get turbo-fired and probably murdered in cold blood before you left the building. The laws exist to protect but not bind them and to bind but not protect you.

quote:

I wasn't prepared to die on that hill and have a cow about it. I did the work anyway but aren't my religious beliefs legitimate also?
To conservatives, their beliefs no matter how cynical and insincere are the only ones that matter. Anything else is something you're only pretending to believe in because you hate white supremacy God.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Conservatives are actually super fine with LGBTQ people counter-excluding people; this helps support their narrative that "leftists are the REAL bigots", lets them take credit for a policy change they'll claim now benefits LGBTQ people vs democrats that do nothing but virtue signal for votes, and finally, it helps normalize their own prejudice because when you call them out they'll have plenty of ammo they can use for counter examples.

A minority group is also not going to have as much power to negatively impact conservatives like this. Is some Christian going to be unable to rent an apartment in an entire town because none of the Satanist landlords will rent to them?

It also leads to further balkanization of states which conservatives also support, since that gives another way for them to legitimize their bigotry by pointing to the lgbt friendly states and arguing that a gay person is certainly better off living somewhere that is more accepting of them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Conservatives are actually super fine with LGBTQ people counter-excluding people; this helps support their narrative that "leftists are the REAL bigots", lets them take credit for a policy change they'll claim now benefits LGBTQ people vs democrats that do nothing but virtue signal for votes, and finally, it helps normalize their own prejudice because when you call them out they'll have plenty of ammo they can use for counter examples.

A minority group is also not going to have as much power to negatively impact conservatives like this. Is some Christian going to be unable to rent an apartment in an entire town because none of the Satanist landlords will rent to them?

It also leads to further balkanization of states which conservatives also support, since that gives another way for them to legitimize their bigotry by pointing to the lgbt friendly states and arguing that a gay person is certainly better off living somewhere that is more accepting of them.

Yeah. It sucks, but the moment a headline goes up that looks like "Gay doctor refuses to treat Evangelical Preacher, who then died of heart attack", they'll be dancing in the streets at how much hay they'll be making of it in more restrictive, aggressive legislation.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Panfilo posted:

This is the big one. There's a lot of GOP politicians who may never have to campaign again because they scared everyone else out of their cities and states.

It creates an unsustainable brain drain that cripples their economy but only nerds care about that

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even beyond only nerds seeing the facts and figures, they're not punished by their base in retaliation for making conditions worse. Also, a nice bonus for Republicans; angry, hurting, uneducated citizens are perfect for demagogues.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

bird food bathtub posted:

Even beyond only nerds seeing the facts and figures, they're not punished by their base in retaliation for making conditions worse. Also, a nice bonus for Republicans; angry, hurting, uneducated citizens are perfect for demagogues.

The closest thing I've had to a black-pill moment was hearing the death toll in states that refused Medicare expansions - those politicians killed their constituents as directly as if they'd gone from house to house personally executing them, and they've only been rewarded ever since. Really, after that, COVID was just more of the same.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

After The War posted:

The closest thing I've had to a black-pill moment was hearing the death toll in states that refused Medicare expansions - those politicians killed their constituents as directly as if they'd gone from house to house personally executing them, and they've only been rewarded ever since. Really, after that, COVID was just more of the same.

That’s just them flourishing due to too much freedom

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hannity today and what I assume was a rerun said that he won't have Chris Christie on his show because Chris is a "blowhard" who only "says negative things". This is from a guy who supports Donald J. Trump.

He also did a "comedy" segment; and NOTHING is worse than conservatives attempting comedy. Check out relative newcomer Mark Kaye and a few of his bits. Sean did a thing where he didn't know how to pronounce the word "homage" and made a bet with another guy that it was pronounced "Home Age". This is from a supposed "journalist" that we're supposed to take seriously.

Who the gently caress doesn't know to pronounce "homage"? It then segued into more "humor" where they poked fun of the French and the funny way they talk. You see, Sean is just a regular American guy who doesn't know fancy French words and it's funny.

Good thing Sean Hannity doesn't want to give air time to "blowhards: who insult people nor learn how to say words that an 8th grader would know.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
You know, William F. Buckley was a massive shitstain but at least he wasn't afraid to pronounce "homage" correctly. We truly live in lesser times.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Seems Reuters did a searchable report about US Presidents / Politicians and the slave owners they are descended from.
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-slavery-lawmakers-overview/

While information is a good thing, what a bad idea thats just going to be used politically by douchebags.

Trump, of course, forgets to mention that his dad was arrested at a Klan riot in 1927 and has been in court for refusing to rent to black renters.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OgNar posted:

Seems Reuters did a searchable report about US Presidents / Politicians and the slave owners they are descended from.
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-slavery-lawmakers-overview/

While information is a good thing, what a bad idea thats just going to be used politically by douchebags.

Trump, of course, forgets to mention that his dad was arrested at a Klan riot in 1927 and has been in court for refusing to rent to black renters.

Fun fact: Fred Trump was such a notorious rear end in a top hat that Woodie Guthrie wrote a song about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANuVKeYezs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does this moron believe in anything?
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1675839171741597696?t=5Y5QRl7Zy6pCtFpvaOYoXA&s=19

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dirk the Average posted:

It's this. There is no introspection as to which politicians and platforms best align with their belief system. There is no thought about how the Bible literally condemns the idea of praying publicly to show how "Christian" you are to everyone (according to my evangelical relatives, it's just a thing you have to do if you want to win an election). And the sheer hatred for the "other" that lurks beneath the surface of some folks in the evangelical wing of my family is a sight to behold (it's never directed at anyone they know personally, just those people, you know the ones).

And yet their church does great things, and they help people on a regular basis through the church. Though, admittedly, they did leave the Methodist church recently specifically because it didn't hate gay people enough, so there is that (I haven't had much contact with them since they went way off the deep end with COVID and anti-vax stuff).

I would argue that it's very different than condemning Muslims for supposedly not speaking out about 9/11, or ISIS, or whatever. Muslims are not a significant power bloc in the US. On the other hand, Christians, in very large numbers, are pulling the levers of government to vote for regressive assholes. Right-wing politicians run on the idea of how Christian they are like it's some sort of purity competition. Christianity and pandering to Christians is thoroughly baked into our political system. Christians speaking out against that poo poo in large numbers can absolutely make a big difference, and if Christianity can divorce itself from right-wing politics, that would be a massive win for the country, and, frankly, for the religion.

I know I'm a week late, sorry in advance, but you're kinda making my point

"christians" hold power

which christians?

cuz here's my church
https://stbasilneworleans.org/

the christians that hold power in the United States do not consider my christians to even be christians, in a lot of cases not even to be people

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know I'm a week late, sorry in advance, but you're kinda making my point

"christians" hold power

which christians?

cuz here's my church
https://stbasilneworleans.org/

the christians that hold power in the United States do not consider my christians to even be christians, in a lot of cases not even to be people

Theres been a long run of Christians telling people what they can or cannot do in this country.
Whether it be the music you listen to, what women can do with their bodies or what you watch on TV.
There has always been a Christian group there screaming that you are doing it wrong and the Christians in power have been the ones to lead the charge and change the law to suit their needs.

Just think of when Elvis or Tom Jones would get picketed because shaking their hips was considered obscene or people screamed they had the devil in them.
Or that playing the Beatles albums backward was a tool of Satan.
Holy poo poo so much stupid poo poo but the politicians just followed along.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 4, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Right now conservatives are freaking out about the riots in France and saying "the west has fallen!" yet simultaneously praising American Muslims that stomp on pride flags. It's crazy how easily they can whiplash between the two extremes.

Remember when they were talking about "sharia law"? Now they are praising the same people for wanting their enemies to suffer. I wanna see some Muslim groups take them to task for this--"Well you support our religious convictions in the Land Of The Free, surely you won't mind another few mosques in Charleston, right?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought the french were antiamerican sissys that hate america.

oh and also [insert a bunch of other examples of them ping ponging on france at the speed of light here]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

He believes whatever will get him the current wave of positive feedback. Folks like Alex Jones are the same way. The distinction between sincere belief and lies isn't as clear-cut as it seems. The platform creates perverse social incentives (and just straightforward financial ones that drive this sort of mindset.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PhazonLink posted:

I thought the french were antiamerican sissys that hate america.

oh and also [insert a bunch of other examples of them ping ponging on france at the speed of light here]

The French are simultaneously weak cucks for letting their country get overrun by criminal Muslim hordes and noble freedom fighters representing the last true bastion of Western civilization who also fought for freedom (from mask+Vax mandates).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Remember when France made the wearing of overtly religious clothing/symbols illegal?

I never heard a single report of a nun having her veil whipped off, but I sure did hear about a woman sitting on the beach being required, at gunpoint, to take off some of her clothes because she looked Muslim.

And burkinis are still banned. Muslim women, or indeed, any women who want to swim without stripping down, are not legally allowed to.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61883529.amp

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pookah posted:

Remember when France made the wearing of overtly religious clothing/symbols illegal?

I never heard a single report of a nun having her veil whipped off, but I sure did hear about a woman sitting on the beach being required, at gunpoint, to take off some of her clothes because she looked Muslim.

And burkinis are still banned. Muslim women, or indeed, any women who want to swim without stripping down, are not legally allowed to.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61883529.amp

Weird Islamophobes and Islamic fundamentalists will be delighted to know they share the common ground of not regarding women as capable of having agency!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Is his name catturd because he has toxoplasmosis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PT6A posted:

Weird Islamophobes and Islamic fundamentalists will be delighted to know they share the common ground of not regarding women as capable of having agency!

Yeah, that's what's so infuriating - they responded to actual terrorist attacks by harassing women who are doing nothing more inflammatory than choosing to dress as they wish. It's as loving authoritarian as requiring women to wear veils in public, but it's dressed up as being liberal and secular.