Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Pretty sure they're still angry at Jane Fonda
Until he popped off from apoplexy, my stepfather could only call her Hanoi Jane. He had so much misdirected rage and a brain stuffed full of thought ending cliches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Coworker started popping off last night about how the titan implosion was actually a cover up for the secret Biden impeachment that’s happening. No the media isn’t reporting on it obviously, he does his on research. Supervisor started nodding in agreement and I’m thinking Jesus Christ people are loving stupid. It’s hard to work alongside someone when you have absolutely zero respect for them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is some proper "conversations inside the secure ward" conspiracy poo poo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I got a request the other day from an Operations person to have a company quote the "stripping of P/N XXX inside and out." along with an inspection and verification that the stripping had been successfully. This isn't too uncommon, but usually we're talking about a single piece or we provide the area of the assembly we want to have stripped. I asked for clarification of the operation because it's incredibly vague and get an angry email back with "Just send the vendor this operation sheet, I don't see what the problem is, it has the standards and inspection requirements!" and I sent back, with no words, the 3D model of the part in question along with the BOM. It's a fully assembled unit, welded and bolted together and I know from previous experience the coating they'll want taken off is only on one piece of the assembly. The instructions in the operation would treat the entire unit as coated and needing to be stripped and inspected. That was Wednesday, it's been totally silent since then. I don't really take pleasure in calling people out on their ignorance of the products they're responsible for delivering, but maybe ask why I have issues instead of insulting my intelligence next time.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

I got a request the other day from an Operations person to have a company quote the "stripping of P/N XXX inside and out." along with an inspection and verification that the stripping had been successfully. This isn't too uncommon, but usually we're talking about a single piece or we provide the area of the assembly we want to have stripped. I asked for clarification of the operation because it's incredibly vague and get an angry email back with "Just send the vendor this operation sheet, I don't see what the problem is, it has the standards and inspection requirements!" and I sent back, with no words, the 3D model of the part in question along with the BOM. It's a fully assembled unit, welded and bolted together and I know from previous experience the coating they'll want taken off is only on one piece of the assembly. The instructions in the operation would treat the entire unit as coated and needing to be stripped and inspected. That was Wednesday, it's been totally silent since then. I don't really take pleasure in calling people out on their ignorance of the products they're responsible for delivering, but maybe ask why I have issues instead of insulting my intelligence next time.

I had to open up our proposal tool to read a number to the guy responsible for my business unit performance today because he didn't know how.

Lol.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two things, sort of related, are really chapping my rear end at work right now because they 100% absolutely don't have to be like this, but, welp, here we are.

I'm on the desktop support team. Don't love it, but I'm a contractor and my company sent me here because they had no other place for me, so it was kind of this or get let go. I was doing more sysadmin and a touch of system engineering before, now it's all desktop support and a touch of sysadmin. But that's more a general gripe than today's specific gripes:

1) Years ago, my manager (who is from the same contracting company I work for (there's one other contracting company here who also has part of the desktop support contract)) lobbied to get the desktop support team to be involved in desk moves. A person changes departments, or the mangers just want to play musical chairs*, the facilities team does anything with the actual desks (if they need the desk height raised/lowered, if they have a keyboard tray attached, if the whole cubicle setup needs rearranging, etc...) but we move all of the PC equipment. There's no real need for this. People can move their own stuff, and on the 1% chance they somehow manage to plug something in wrong, we can come to their desk after the fact to fix it.

But my manager got us involved because, pre-COVID, all desk moves had to be done after-hours or on weekends, and our contract states we get overtime pay for that. So he lobbied for it, and in the first few years he got TONS of OT pay, and the rest of us got some too (moving desks was sort of a volunteer basis, he volunteered every time for the money AND because he's a typical Boomer "hate my job, but I hate my wife more, so I'll stay late all the time! har har har!" kind of guy.)

Then COVID hit so there were no moves for a while, but since we are MOSTLY back to 100% in the office (actual employees can WFH on Mondays and Fridays...we're contractors, and were told we HAVE to be in the office every day) there are more desk moves...but also, because most of the company WFH on Mondays and Fridays, those are the days we do moves now, so we don't even get the extra money. It's just tedious busy work. Plus, we also have an absurd number of temp desks we're setting up all the drat time, because this company has two physical locations, and a bunch of full-time remote people (yes, that upsets the people who live close to the offices since they HAVE to come in when the full time remote people are WFH nearly all the time) who do come in like twice a year. In May, we had to set up 120 temp workstations for a SINGLE WEEK. It was a mix of just USB-C monitors for people with laptops, and a full dual monitor +thin PC setup for users who use the VM infrastructure. On top of regular desktop work and desk moves. In 2022, we did approximately 700 desk moves at just one of the two locations. For a company with only about 1200 employees TOTAL across both locations and remote. So yes, we functionally moved everyone in the building AND THEN SOME. Why are there so many moves? Well, because managers and team leads know that if they ask, he little computer elves have to do it, so they've gotten a LOT more bold with asking for desk moves when ,I poo poo you not, people are moving like one desk over just to be slightly closer to a different teammate.

2) You know the other contracting company I mentioned? Well, according to the contracts, they are actually 100% responsible for ALL of the inventory management. All monitors, laptops, thin clients, etc... have asset stickers and are tracked with who they belong to, what desk they sit at, etc. It's a good system...if it were accurate. They got a huge penalty hit to their contract at the end of 2022 because it was SO out of line with reality. The stock reports saying we were supposed to have like 100 monitors in the stockroom, and the reality was like 30 (number made up, but you get the idea). Laptops and thin clients weren't AS bad, but still not right. So they implemented a new policy last February. Now, only THEIR employees (in fact, only like two of their employees, plus their manager (so three people out of a total dozen or so on the desktop team)) can make changes to the asset database, and only their badges get into the stockroom. So now, the process I need to follow to get a new monitor to employee, is that I take the ticket in the system that says "Equipment request - new monitor" but then I make a SECOND ticket and assign it to the inventory team for them to pull a monitor from the shelf, assign the asset # to the employee, and bring it to me so I can bring it to the employee. Why can't the inventory person just bring it to the employee themselves? I honestly have no idea. Actually, I have an inkling, and that's that the other company wants to artificially increase the total ticket count to make it look like they're doing more work.

So, you know how I mentioned we also do the desk moves? Well part of that includes updating the assets to the new desk location, which we can no longer do. So, again, we have to make tickets and assign it to the inventory team that just says "Update asset info for Laptop 1234 and monitor 5668, keep assigned to same person but update desk to Desk 5A23"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Well, I now have a new potential reason for "why is Company X's police regarding Y so messed up?", which is handy.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

madeintaipei posted:

The real dumb poo poo is employing this person as a warm body when all they do is make poo poo harder to accomplish. I'm gonna ride this poo poo out just to watch the dominoes fall. gently caress.
Ah, the "destructive middle manager".

And I'm in a similar boat where besides the pay and benefits, I want to see the dominos fall.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My workplace Peter Principles so aggressively that none of the managers do any actual management so now we've come up with a new bullshit title we're hiring for that's basically 'do all the management, for every team in every department, because management won't'. I weep in advance for this person

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

My workplace Peter Principles so aggressively that none of the managers do any actual management so now we've come up with a new bullshit title we're hiring for that's basically 'do all the management, for every team in every department, because management won't'. I weep in advance for this person

Take the job, get the other managers downsized and fired as extraneous staff.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take the job, get the other managers downsized and fired as extraneous staff.

Noone ever gets fired here because that'd be too mean 😬 I don't think the new person will even have that authority, they're supposed to be more an assistant to all the other managers. So, toothless, as we like it, because having a spine and enacting consequences is also mean

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 4, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A employer of mine did pretty much all of this but the people responsible for keeping track of stock were also in a completely different time zone to the people actually moving the stock.

Guess how often anyone actually bothered fighting the godawful ticketing system to tell them when stock was moved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

Noone ever gets fired here because that'd be too mean 😬 I don't think the new person will even have that authority, they're supposed to be more an assistant to all the other managers. So, toothless, as we like it, because having a spine and enacting consequences is also mean

So you can slack off without fear of reprisal is what I'm hearing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you can slack off without fear of reprisal is what I'm hearing.

If this was a corporation I'd agree, but this is a nonprofit whose mission I technically do still believe in

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

If this was a corporation I'd agree, but this is a nonprofit whose mission I technically do still believe in

:smith::hf::smith:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Im so sorry

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Today I am mostly handwaving decisions I'm probably not authorised to make because I frankly cannot be hosed unpicking our mess of legal guidance.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

This isn't really affecting me but my boss was bitching to me about it in our catchup today so I thought I'd share here.

One of our teams creates software that processes videos (e.g. from CCTV) and converts it into standard .mp4 files. For some stupid reason they never set out boundaries of what they'd accept when selling this to our customers, so we get every loving £5 camera off amazon coming through with it's own format/codec whatever. This has been going on for a couple of years and whenever it doesn't work the customer raises a support request for it, which is now nearing 300 and each one takes weeks to code a solution for. They're coming in faster than we can fix them.

To try and stem this flow my boss (and his boss etc.) instituted a new process. If it's something we already support and is broken, then it can carry on as a support request, and if it's a new file/codec we've never seen it'll get put down as a feature and be prioritised. Kind of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic but at least we can get to the actual problems quicker and give the customers a realistic estimate of when they will get the new feature.

The problem is that all our British customers have decided they don't give a poo poo about the new process and are ignoring it entirely, while all our American customers have moved everything to be a feature while keeping the support request open. So they've just... doubled everyone's work (most of all my boss who has to triage all these). If he had any hair he would have pulled it all out by now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The trick is to have one company handle support requests and one company handle new features so every ticket has at least 3 days of leadership and legal arguing about who's fault it is this wasn't started 3 days ago.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Today I was in a 4-man conference call where my scrum master asked my superior and my boss for guidance on fixing a very vague bug. It took about 20 minutes for both of them to basically faff around and refuse to admit that they didn't know where the documentation for the process was (there isn't any) and how to debug it (there's no way).

Meanwhile I was sitting there, not giving a poo poo. I've been trying to get them to help me with this for 3 weeks. I heard this is a very important issue that's affecting production.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EvilHawk posted:

This isn't really affecting me but my boss was bitching to me about it in our catchup today so I thought I'd share here.

One of our teams creates software that processes videos (e.g. from CCTV) and converts it into standard .mp4 files. For some stupid reason they never set out boundaries of what they'd accept when selling this to our customers, so we get every loving £5 camera off amazon coming through with it's own format/codec whatever. This has been going on for a couple of years and whenever it doesn't work the customer raises a support request for it, which is now nearing 300 and each one takes weeks to code a solution for. They're coming in faster than we can fix them.

To try and stem this flow my boss (and his boss etc.) instituted a new process. If it's something we already support and is broken, then it can carry on as a support request, and if it's a new file/codec we've never seen it'll get put down as a feature and be prioritised. Kind of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic but at least we can get to the actual problems quicker and give the customers a realistic estimate of when they will get the new feature.

The problem is that all our British customers have decided they don't give a poo poo about the new process and are ignoring it entirely, while all our American customers have moved everything to be a feature while keeping the support request open. So they've just... doubled everyone's work (most of all my boss who has to triage all these). If he had any hair he would have pulled it all out by now.
Do you have a queue manager position because they would be genuinely invaluable for unfucking this by fixing all the customer bullshit before it reaches people who fix all the technical bullshit. People underestimate the value of a good queue manager.

You have half a good system here, the problem is that you're letting the customers decide what's logged as an incident vs what's logged as a feature request.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Killingyouguy! posted:

If it's any consolation, I could have sworn you work for my old home city.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

EvilHawk posted:

One time someone asked a French employee to follow one of our busywork procedures to fix an issue and he just said “no,” I appreciate that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Splicer posted:

Do you have a queue manager position because they would be genuinely invaluable for unfucking this by fixing all the customer bullshit before it reaches people who fix all the technical bullshit. People underestimate the value of a good queue manager.

We just lost ours. Poor guy was a T&M contractor, which wasn't renewed because of budget fuckery, then his MSP decided not to put him back on the SOW contract and cut him loose. Luckily for him, his wife has a good job, and he's going to get rave references from my team. Including my highest reference, "I will hire them back from you at my first opportunity.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I am scheduled to be in our home office July 14th starting at 10 AM. It is three hours from my house and my wife is getting home late that night, so I am now driving down first thing that morning and driving home after the three hour meeting so I can walk my dog that night. I asked for this to be a call in or rescheduled, but no luck there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

I am scheduled to be in our home office July 14th starting at 10 AM. It is three hours from my house and my wife is getting home late that night, so I am now driving down first thing that morning and driving home after the three hour meeting so I can walk my dog that night. I asked for this to be a call in or rescheduled, but no luck there.

gently caress that. Do the flat tire photo thing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

gently caress that. Do the flat tire photo thing.

Or call whoever scheduled it at like 3 or 4 AM and tell them you have "Trains leaving both stations"

The only time I've had that questioned, they said "Wait, what is that supposed to mea- Ooooohhhhhh... You feel better man"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cthulu Carl posted:

Or call whoever scheduled it at like 3 or 4 AM and tell them you have "Trains leaving both stations"

The only time I've had that questioned, they said "Wait, what is that supposed to mea- Ooooohhhhhh... You feel better man"

"Bidirectional gastrointestinal distress" is another one where they pause for a second to parse it then wish me well and they'll see me eventually.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Today we had a new employee in the department. So at our weekly team meeting one of the managers wanted to go around and have everyone introduce themselves, and to make it somewhat more interesting, asked people to give a thing they need out about. That’s no big deal. There was all kinds of random general stuff, Reality TV, Superheroes, Star Wars, LEGO, Carpentry, their kids, etc.

What threw me for a loop was the department manager mentioning that she has be researching crystals. For the briefest of moments I thought (and really hoped) it was general geology related. Then I remembered she was way into meditating and that sort of stuff. As starts talking about learning their healing properties, and how she is learning piano, as certain notes can align her chakras, my opinion of her dropped a few notches.

I know meditation can be a great stress relief. And whatever it takes to get you through the stress of the day. Especially when you are middle management in a giant bureaucratic corporation. But healing crystals were a bit too far for me. Makes me super glad I don’t interact with her much.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It bums me out to no end that lots of people associate meditation with woo woo hippie bologna.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too many people want to tie its benefits to this woo they have to sell you.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I would have a lot more respect for my manager if I could tune out their non-work related takes

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Former job had a person forcibly removed from the Q2 town hall. They apparently started calling bullshit on upper management and their lies. Kinda impressed there was still someone left who gave a poo poo about the place. They unfortunately scrubbed that section from the replay.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

withoutclass posted:

It bums me out to no end that lots of people associate meditation with woo woo hippie bologna.

I personally am indifferent to meditation, yoga, and various activities of that sort. I know there are various positive benefits to each of them, they are just not for me.

But when people tip over into various “other” activities, they start dropping in standing. Liking crystals because they look cool and pretty, yeah sure whatever. Going down the crystal woo rabbit hole, and I nope right out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Splicer posted:

You have half a good system here, the problem is that you're letting the customers decide what's logged as an incident vs what's logged as a feature request.

This is allegedly my boss's position (well, along with a few other things). The problem is more the higher ups are happy to let the customers dictate this and not support him. I don't want to doxx myself so I won't go into details but the nature of the customers means they're happy to bend over backwards.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We got a new security guard supervisor a few months back and now that his boss (who's a chill guy) is in Spain working on something in a Barcelona office he's been trying to throw his rent-a-cop weight around, starting by pitching a fit that we didn't pick up the cart of IT equipment former employees dropped off.

Basically, the process has been some one drops off their laptop at the f ont desk, security enters it into a log book, then it goes on a cart until we're able to come down and get it. Been that way for years and works fine.

Rent-a-cop has decided that this isn't security's job and we need to be there to accept returned equipment IN PERSON.

Today, the lady who runs asset management went to have a little chat with security's boss's boss's boss and... Well, it turns out from now on, every location's physical security will be expected to accept returned equipment and store it until IT can get it.

Also, physical security is now cut off from my team's "no ticket? We'll make one after we help" policy and is now in full malicious compliance "no ticket? Sorry, we can't help" tier of support.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was given a task because of my particular expertise on a topic.

I laid out my plans for said task. Boss didn't like part of it, so suddenly this was not my task, it was the teams task. Everyone on a zoom call so we can do this task "together".

Me: yeah I laid this out this way because reasons a, b, and c, based on my expertise
Boss: well I think d so we're doing d.

Cool great, great teamwork, thanks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Anyone who thinks holding a rock will do anything for them is either a massive wanker or receiving an unexpected dose of radiation.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Killingyouguy! posted:

I was given a task because of my particular expertise on a topic.

I laid out my plans for said task. Boss didn't like part of it, so suddenly this was not my task, it was the teams task. Everyone on a zoom call so we can do this task "together".

Me: yeah I laid this out this way because reasons a, b, and c, based on my expertise
Boss: well I think d so we're doing d.

Cool great, great teamwork, thanks
Boss: Also Killingyouguy!, why are you acting so disengaged lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cheesus posted:

Boss: Also Killingyouguy!, why are you acting so disengaged lately?

He thinks I like my job. Lol. Lmao