Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is the refresh coming up going to the end of LGA1700? I assume yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Ya, Meteor Lake won’t fit.

(Although maybe Intel will make a mess of things/try to squeeze every cent out of the existing socket and release another refresh.)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

Ya, Meteor Lake won’t fit.

(Although maybe Intel will make a mess of things/try to squeeze every cent out of the existing socket and release another refresh.)

Since when has Intel ever decided to squeeze /more/ life out of a socket? They love nothing more than to change sockets every other generation, and have done so for like almost 15 years at this point lol

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Well, the question was about the third series that will be compatible with LGA1700, so 'Now'?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

Since when has Intel ever decided to squeeze /more/ life out of a socket? They love nothing more than to change sockets every other generation, and have done so for like almost 15 years at this point lol

Alder Lake
Raptor Lake
Raptor Lake refresh

three generations!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Why squeeze more money out of a socket when you can make a new socket and soak everyone again?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Why squeeze more money out of a socket when you can make a new socket and soak everyone again?

Because then people buy your poo poo less? Consumers aren't idiots*

*exceptions apply

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
It make sense seeing how the pinout is a bottleneck. Each gen is an opportunity to cram even more pins in the socket.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beef posted:

It make sense seeing how the pinout is a bottleneck. Each gen is an opportunity to cram even more pins in the socket.

lmao at this point they're adding more pins for power than data

the bottleneck is the contact resistance against 150 amps

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I really want to upgrade my living room PC with my office 5800x3d but both AMD and Intel current and near-future offerings are less than desirable for different reasons. Looks like I'm waiting until next year.

I told myself I'm done with AMD for awhile due to all the jankiness but then I looked at the Intel tdp and had a hearty lol. I live in Tampa Bay (and my office gets full sun) so heat dissipation is a factor.

It's funny how back in the day Intel was known for efficiency and AMD was all about power.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 4, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kaddish posted:

It's funny how back in the day Intel was known for efficiency and AMD was all about power.

When was this? Both Athlon XPs and 64s looked really efficient against Pentium 4s. Hell, K6es weren't that hot unless you were trying to overclock the poo poo out of them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

When was this? Both Athlon XPs and 64s looked really efficient against Pentium 4s. Hell, K6es weren't that hot unless you were trying to overclock the poo poo out of them.

I'm thinking mid-2000's maybe? There was an Opteron meant for server but popular with enthusiasts. I also remember Athlon XP commonly running 90c but maybe I'm totally off-base! Of course, there was the AMD FX series that had a tdp of something like 200+ watts? I'm old and could be making all of this up!

My AMD experience went from K6 -> Opteron -> Phenom II -> 5800X/X3D with Intel used in between - so my AMD knowledge is admittedly dodgy.

I also had one of the early Radeons pretty soon after they bought ATI and never bought another after that experience.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 4, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Twerk from Home posted:

K6 also had the problem of a pipeline all of four stages deep. It just didn’t scale well to higher clocks, and I’m a little impressed they got up to 550MHz with K6-3+ and its sizable cache. But the efficiency advantage has bounced between Intel and AMD repeatedly - Netburst was power-drinking trash versus K7 and K8 positively pantsed it, Conroe/Core 2 put Intel back on top until things leveled out again with Phenom II, and then Intel made a huge jump on efficiency with Sandy Bridge that they maintained over AMD’s construction cores until Ryzen came back around and started competing on efficiency while Intel was stuck on 14nm for half a decade plus.

My growing suspicion is that the don’t-call-it-Atom-descended E cores will eventually be grown to supersede the P cores in future Intel designs, as the latter is grossly less efficient in real terms for everything but SIMD-heavy work. Zen4c was an interesting recent development - I’ll be interested in seeing where things shake out in the next five years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

My growing suspicion is that the don’t-call-it-Atom-descended E cores will eventually be grown to supersede the P cores in future Intel designs, as the latter is grossly less efficient in real terms for everything but SIMD-heavy work. Zen4c was an interesting recent development - I’ll be interested in seeing where things shake out in the next five years.

Intel will need to do it quickly… Tremont is like sandy bridge and Gracemont is like Skylake. There’s still a lot of ground to make up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Twerk from Home posted:

Like the FX-6200 vs i5 ivy bridge type stuff era.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kaddish posted:

I'm thinking mid-2000's maybe? There was an Opteron meant for server but popular with enthusiasts. I also remember Athlon XP commonly running 90c but maybe I'm totally off-base! Of course, there was the AMD FX series that had a tdp of something like 200+ watts? I'm old and could be making all of this up!

My AMD experience went from K6 -> Opteron -> Phenom II -> 5800X/X3D with Intel used in between - so my AMD knowledge is admittedly dodgy.

I also had one of the early Radeons pretty soon after they bought ATI and never bought another after that experience.

Prescott P4s were the infamous blast furnace of the time, Intel was suffering brutally with heat back then relatively speaking

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shipon posted:

Prescott P4s were the infamous blast furnace of the time, Intel was suffering brutally with heat back then relatively speaking

Don't forget Pentium D! What could be better than one Preshott? Two!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shipon posted:

I do like how Intel's response to 'Processor make PC too hot?' was coming up with an entire new BTX form factor, so they could kick that thermal can down the road another few years.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
well ...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I do like how Intel's response to 'Processor make PC too hot?' was coming up with an entire new BTX form factor, so they could kick that thermal can down the road another few years.

in retrospect they were just ahead of the times on that front

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The #1 entry on the TOP 500 supercomputers is using whole-datacenter closed-loop cooling:

Blue pipes carry cold water, red carries hot, with more details here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1678746130555850754?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

STH is the site breaking the news, and has more details.

Notably, this means there'll be no more tiny systems with vPro (read: an in-band base management controller that implements IPMI and vKVM).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Intel really wants to make themselves irrelevant. Strange.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Notably, this means there'll be no more tiny systems with vPro (read: an in-band base management controller that implements IPMI and vKVM).

I dont see this part anywhere? NUCs weren’t the only vPro systems, and all of the Tiny Mini Micros from Dell, HP, and Lenovo have vPro as an option.

Tbh I don’t really see the NUC announcement as that big of a deal. As STH pointed out, they were competing with their own customers and losing money doing so, and I don’t think the NUCs were ever that popular in the market.

Just like the original Intel designed Ultrabooks, the strangest part was that the Windows OEMs were SO bad at one point that they ever needed to exist at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

I dont see this part anywhere? NUCs weren’t the only vPro systems, and all of the Tiny Mini Micros from Dell, HP, and Lenovo have vPro as an option.

Tbh I don’t really see the NUC announcement as that big of a deal. As STH pointed out, they were competing with their own customers and losing money doing so, and I don’t think the NUCs were ever that popular in the market.

Just like the original Intel designed Ultrabooks, the strangest part was that the Windows OEMs were SO bad at one point that they ever needed to exist at all.
The availability of non-NUC vPro based systems is horrible in Europe/Denmark.

It often seems like the vendors claim to sell them, but don't actually wanna bother.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've used one of the little HP Prodesk minis at work and it has vPro, and that's about as commoditized as a little computer can be. Can't you order directly from HP or Dell in Europe?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've not really seen NUC available here so it may have as well not existed.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Intel really wants to make themselves irrelevant. Strange.

they are focusing on what they are good at, which is umm fabbing for companies that cant afford tsmc

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That's our Intel babyyy, right as brands like Minisforum and Beelink are popularizing the ultra small form factor for consumers they pull up stakes and leave the market

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

DoombatINC posted:

That's our Intel babyyy, right as brands like Minisforum and Beelink are popularizing the ultra small form factor for consumers they pull up stakes and leave the market

It’s amazing - they’ve been the flagbearer for the sector, to the point that a recent knockoff low-end brand is called ATOPNUC, and they’re kiboshing the line. The flop sweat is alarming.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Twerk from Home posted:

The 'construction machine' Family 15h chips - Bulldozer and its successors Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator - were all pretty bad.

With Bulldozer, AMD bet the farm on a novel idea for making highly threaded server chips. Many server workloads don't need the FPU much, so they came up with an idea for a 2-thread 'module' where there are two independent cache/integer complexes sharing one FPU. Sort of like Intel hyperthreading, except much less resource sharing between the two threads. The idea was that one module was substantially smaller than two fully independent cores, but would perform like independent cores on integer workloads. Due to the size reduction, AMD could pack more cores into a big server chip.

Since the integer execution width for each thread in a module was somewhat narrow, AMD needed to target very high clock frequencies. However, as I understand it, AMD didn't hit their power targets and was forced to back frequencies way off. Even with the clock speed reduction, the chips still used lots of power, and performance was not great.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

BobHoward posted:

The 'construction machine' Family 15h chips - Bulldozer and its successors Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator - were all pretty bad.

With Bulldozer, AMD bet the farm on a novel idea for making highly threaded server chips. Many server workloads don't need the FPU much, so they came up with an idea for a 2-thread 'module' where there are two independent cache/integer complexes sharing one FPU. Sort of like Intel hyperthreading, except much less resource sharing between the two threads. The idea was that one module was substantially smaller than two fully independent cores, but would perform like independent cores on integer workloads. Due to the size reduction, AMD could pack more cores into a big server chip.

Since the integer execution width for each thread in a module was somewhat narrow, AMD needed to target very high clock frequencies. However, as I understand it, AMD didn't hit their power targets and was forced to back frequencies way off. Even with the clock speed reduction, the chips still used lots of power, and performance was not great.

Yes - clustered modular threading/CMT didn’t pan out for AMD. The siloed integer/cache complexes only shared a prefetch unit, a decode unit (which was re-duplicated for Steamroller to improve performance, then rolled back to one for Excavator for power savings), and the FPU. The FPU was dual-issue and capable of handling two 128-bit values at once, and at least for Excavator those could be ganged together for 256-bit work, as those last chips finally added support for AVX2.

With lower IPC and clocks failing to scale to the levels needed for competitive performance (partly due to AMD's process disadvantage with Global Foundries), the chips were only capable in well-threaded and integer-heavy niches. I knew a few people who kept them around for munching DVD rips and cheap build servers, and I swore by my FX-8320 as a quirky but decent workhorse, but Intel's chips outclassed them for general workloads. Simple as that.

As a weird side note/epilogue, there’s a dirt cheap mini PC made by ATOPNUC available now, the MA90, featuring an AMD A9 9400 - a single module/dual thread Excavator from 2016 with a Radeon R5. I obtained it for the princely sum of $86 before taxes, as it is cheaper than a Pi-alike for running Pi-Hole, and in my initial testing it will not surprise you to learn, dear goons, that it is slow.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I used an A10-7860K for about a week while sorting out some troubleshooting woes and you could really feel it chug just opening browsers and such.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had an FX-8350 and it was fine for daily use and gaming, but when it died (power supply failed so badly it fried the CPU) I replaced it with a cheap used 6c/12t X58 Gulftown system that performed much better despite being a year older.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I still use an A9-something craptop. And get this, most of the time I limit the CPU speed to 70%. :sickos:

(Because it sits next to my bed and I don't want the fan to turn on.)

If I want to watch a youtube at higher than 720p I download it with yt-dlp, because a browser decoder drops frames.

It sucks, but the two things I do with it are watch video or type plain text and given that it's actually ok. The GPU has better video decode than whatever celeron was in $300 laptops in 2018. TBQH I don't hate it!

FuturePastNow posted:

I had an FX-8350 and it was fine for daily use and gaming, but when it died (power supply failed so badly it fried the CPU) I replaced it with a cheap used 6c/12t X58 Gulftown system that performed much better despite being a year older.

The later FXes got through the worst deficits of the Construction arch through clockspeed and extravagant TDP.

Funny how that pattern keeps repeating!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i haven't had a computer processor chug on internet browsing since ... probably the asus eee pc netbook back in 2008

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cygni posted:

Can't remember if it was Pat or Bob who went on record throwing shade at the Microsoft Surface for "competing with their own OEM customers". If anyone was actually buying the NUC that would have been a very hypocritical thing to say!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Investors want to see that perpetual double digit growth. Intel trying to eat its own customers makes some kind of perverse :capitalism: sense back when it had 98% server market share and facing a stagnating client and enterprise segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm surprised, considering how hard it was to find 8th gen NUCs that weren't going for $arm and $leg used during the pandemic, let alone new.