Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the good / best price for pellets?

I usually buy pit boss from Lowes @ $16 for 40lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think Kirkland is like 9.99 for 40lbs. Tremendous value for the quality!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Wanted to finally cook the prime brisket I've had in the freezer for a bit and decided now was the time to upgrade to the big boy WSM.

$200 on Facebook marketplace and cleaner than my 14"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What's the deal with spritzing ribs with apple juice/cider? Is it a good idea? A bad idea? The recipe I'm following is saying to spritz with a combination of apple cider and butter every hour or so, but reading online people have such varying takes as to whether or not spritzing/mopping is good at all...

Realistically I would be basting anyway but the point should be the same I think

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 3, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've never bothered and my ribs taste Good

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It comes out perfectly fine if you don't, but I find it develops a tastier crust if you do.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does it matter if I use a bristle brush to lightly baste instead of "spritzing"?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Does it matter if I use a bristle brush to lightly baste instead of "spritzing"?

People spritz because a brush can, well, brush off the seasoning if the bark isn't set yet

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kwolok posted:

What's the deal with spritzing ribs with apple juice/cider? Is it a good idea? A bad idea? The recipe I'm following is saying to spritz with a combination of apple cider and butter every hour or so, but reading online people have such varying takes as to whether or not spritzing/mopping is good at all...

Realistically I would be basting anyway but the point should be the same I think

Break down of a hypothetical 'perfect rib' by major flavor components:

70% cook however until not raw.

20% cook slowly with low heat until tender.

3% slather on some sauce (Chili's baby backs stop here, loved by millions).

5% Add hardwood smoke

1.9% wet/dry brine and/or rub

.05% maybe wrap it or something?

.05% I dunno try spritzing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Since you have to open the door to spritz, you're destabilizing your temperature.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It doesn't seem to be as significant as people seem to think.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-if-youre-lookin-you-aint-cookin/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've had good results spritzing, and good results not. I do typically put in a little apple cider vinegar if I'm wrapping with foil - which I've been doing lately because the wife prefers it that way.

My current method is a 2 hour smoke and then finished all the way in the oven wrapped in foil - again mainly for my wife who prefers fall-off-the-bone tenderness.

She also likes the 24-hour sous vide method.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Murgos posted:

Break down of a hypothetical 'perfect rib' by major flavor components:

70% cook however until not raw.

20% cook slowly with low heat until tender.

3% slather on some sauce (Chili's baby backs stop here, loved by millions).

5% Add hardwood smoke

1.9% wet/dry brine and/or rub

.05% maybe wrap it or something?

.05% I dunno try spritzing?

And remove the membrane on the back.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Found a steal of a deal this morning. Vision kamado c series, used for $350 (retails around $1100 in Canada). It will supplement my pellet grill and offset smoker quite well. I just hope my wife doesn't notice a new grill....

I was eyeballing a standard Weber kettle for awhile, but when this popped up on Facebook I knew I'd be dumb not to buy it. Going to rip some burgers up for dinner tonight.

Also getting into butt stuff today. Going to seal and freeze a bunch for a family reunion later this month.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I did spare ribs to 200 F and they were a little soft for my taste. What's the final temp where you get a little bit of bone cling? 180? 190?

I do smoke then foil wrap -> bake with sauce.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just try no wrap, or wrap with butcher paper instead of foil.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kwolok posted:

From what I've read, spritzing whatever you're smoking with apple juice specifically will moisten the meat without without watering the taste down. Because apparently a mist of water vapor is enough to damage the bark and make the rub run, but apple juice vapor won't. :shrug: I'm not sure I buy that personally, but the sugar in it will make for a prettier crust.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
First cook on the WSM18. Was a little worried when there wasn't much visible bark when I wrapped. But 12.5 hours total cook and 2 in a cooler, this is the best brisket I've ever done.

(I'd include a wubba wubba gif if it was easy to post those anymore.)

I was ready to quit brisket and leave it to my local BBQ joint, but I am converted.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nixon, muttering

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Got a 2.5lb brisket salt curing in the fridge, gonna smoke it Saturday

Also have a pork shoulder brining for tomorrow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

I did spare ribs to 200 F and they were a little soft for my taste. What's the final temp where you get a little bit of bone cling? 180? 190?

I do smoke then foil wrap -> bake with sauce.

Foil wrap softens the bark, and for clingier ribs you probably want to aim for more like 195, but fwiw I never temp ribs, they’re too inconsistent because of the structure. I just bend test them and when they crack they’re ready.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Did St Louis style ribs uncovered 225 for almost 6 hours and they were not even remotely tender and I don't know what I did wrong. Admittedly I like fall off the bone ribs but these were not that. Or even close. I've actually put them back on the smoker for another for hours ..

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Kwolok posted:

Did St Louis style ribs uncovered 225 for almost 6 hours and they were not even remotely tender and I don't know what I did wrong. Admittedly I like fall off the bone ribs but these were not that. Or even close. I've actually put them back on the smoker for another for hours ..

If you like them fall of the bone then do 3-2-1. Wrapping them basically steams them and makes them fall of the bone. Adjust to your preference

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Sigh ok, I'm lazy and was hoping this method would achieve the same.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kwolok posted:

Sigh ok, I'm lazy and was hoping this method would achieve the same.

Somewhat paradoxically, I find that ribs are less tender when going down to 225. I've settled on 275 for a sweet spot of convenience and texture. But yeah, you need to wrap to get fall off the bone tenderness.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 4, 2023

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Fired up the smoker

Got it going and the pork shoulder in before the rain started (soggy 4th here in Boston)

EDIT: using a mix of apple and pecan wood chips

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
bought a weber 22 inch charcoal grill the other day(the $140ish one), some charcoal and a few grillin' dad extras(charcoal chimney, brushes etc) and a buncha meat(boneless and bone in ribs, a tri tip roast I had in my freezer that I've thawed for this, bunch of chicken drumsticks and thighs, andouille sausage, pork chops) and I have no idea what I'm doing!! I've never done this before!!

but I live in one of the few areas of the US that is apparently not getting thunderstorms today(northern utah) so whatever happens...I'm grillin!!! hell, even if I gently caress it up I'll learn somethin. bout time I learned some grillin' dad skills

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

teemolover42069 posted:

bought a weber 22 inch charcoal grill the other day(the $140ish one), some charcoal and a few grillin' dad extras(charcoal chimney, brushes etc) and a buncha meat(boneless and bone in ribs, a tri tip roast I had in my freezer that I've thawed for this, bunch of chicken drumsticks and thighs, andouille sausage, pork chops) and I have no idea what I'm doing!! I've never done this before!!

but I live in one of the few areas of the US that is apparently not getting thunderstorms today(northern utah) so whatever happens...I'm grillin!!! hell, even if I gently caress it up I'll learn somethin. bout time I learned some grillin' dad skills

Hell yeah

If you've never used a charcoal grill before look up how to start the coals in the chimney and what direct/indirect heat zones are to get yourself started and sear up those pork chops

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hell yeah

If you've never used a charcoal grill before look up how to start the coals in the chimney and what direct/indirect heat zones are to get yourself started and sear up those pork chops

yep my wife and I have been watching the youtubes about it. we're gonna fire up the coals in the chimney till they're white, put em in the griller and close it to preheat it on one side, direct heat for a couple minutes on each side of the chicken to sear, then 45 minutes on indirect to cook the rest of the way, at that stage putting in some pecan woodchips; adding bbq sauce the last few minutes of cooking. basically same thing for the ribs etc. I think I have a handle on how to do it right, it's probably gonna turn out okay and I'll learn a lot and do it even better next time but it'll benefit from the 'yea, I made that' bonus so it's gonna slap regardless

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Don’t cook by time, cook by temp. Get a good instant read thermometer (ThermoWorks has sales today on both the pen and pop, can’t go wrong with their stuff) and cook til the temp is right.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kalman posted:

Don’t cook by time, cook by temp. Get a good instant read thermometer (ThermoWorks has sales today on both the pen and pop, can’t go wrong with their stuff) and cook til the temp is right.

For smoking and roasting over long periods of time, sure. But for short direct heat grilling and pan searing small thin cuts lol no just git gud.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only cut of meat I don’t use an instant read thermometer would be something very thinly sliced, like galbi or maybe a smash burger. I always do for steak, chicken, etc.

Like, why wouldn’t you if you have one.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah an instant read thermometer took my grilled chicken game to the next level

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

oh yeah we got one of those too. ambient thermometer and a meat one for stickin' in

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Drumsticks and thighs. Bone in skin on. Brush on oil. Salt and pepper, maybe garlic powder and/or paprika if you want to go wild. Throw a chunk of oak on the coals and wait until the smoke settles down a little. Indirect at 400-450 until 180ish and the skin is crispy. Toss in wing sauce of your choice. Enjoy.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I do my wings on my Weber around the outside of the grate with coals in the middle for indirect. I time it at about a a beer for each side and add sauce when I flip them before the second beer. Works like a champ.

Update on my pork shoulder: Dropped it on the grill at 6am Saturday with a snake 2x1 snake set up, grill held at 250-260 ALL DAY. Around 3 it had hit 160 internally and just stayed there, so I wrapped it in foil and dropped some apple cider vinegar on it. Guess it was around 4-5 or so when my coals ran out, so I dropped it in the oven at 300 for another hour, hit 195, then rested an hour and shredded it up. Came out pretty well!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Welp, finishing this pork shoulder in the oven, temp in the smoker never got above 200°F

Spent a good 6 hours at that temp tho, smoky as all gently caress the whole time.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
babby's first bbq!!! all tested to 180 degrees internal, I know that's higher than necessary but I just wanna be super safe my first time doing this. it looks and smells amazing, letting it cool down a bit before I eat way too loving much of it!!

if you can tell I hosed something up from this pic alone please tell me, I wanna get good!!

e: holy gently caress this poo poo is so good

teemolover42069 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 4, 2023

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Thighs /drums / wings can go even higher than 180, too! Looks great for your first go round and truly the only thing that matters is how they tasted to you and those you fed. I use a vortex on my weber and my drums and wings tend to come out a bit darker than what you posted. If you're looking for some crispy skin I recommend a dry brine that includes baking powder mixed in with the spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I'm glad I tested each piece to 180 cause a couple of em I just ate woulda gave me pause if I hadn't done that cause I just would like chicken to be darker, ya know? I think the drumsticks next time I might even aim for 200 just to relieve my lizard brain's worrying. the thighs are absolutely perfect though.