Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
What do you even mean by witch? Like a anime girl with b-52 bombers for legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For maximum witchitude make a female sylvari colored like autum leaves

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Harbinger with scepter/staff would be the most witchey I can think of.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
TL;DR:
Make a Necromancer. Then try all three:
- the school of Susan Sto Helit (Reaper)
- the school of the sand witch (Scourge)
- the school of Baba Yaga incl. getting drunk and shooting guns (Harbinger)

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Mesmer has Glinda the Good Witch energy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What kind of witch has to tell you she's good? :kiddo:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

What kind of witch has to tell you she's good? :kiddo:

Questionable av / post combo you got there

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

gandlethorpe posted:

The only weapon that seems like a dud outside its spec is ranger staff, and I might even be missing something there. At the very least it has one of the best movement skills attached to a weapon, in addition to other utility.

Edit: just read an idea for a staff/staff untamed that spams the ambush for heals/prot/quickness, so even that's got potential for some fun jank

TBH i wouldn't say it's the only dud.

Guardian offhand Sword - Weak even on its home class, won't suddenly see any use on the other two specs.
Revenant Shortbow: Renegade is the only spec that can really do a condition damage deal. Celestial Vindicator will still prefer Hammer for ranged tagging, as Shortbow isn't really that good at tagging without Heartpiercer, and if you're in melee range for the dodge already mace is superior, especially without heartpiercer's damage bonus.
Thief Rifle: This is just garbage without the Malicious Sneak Attack, loses a lot without Deadeye's extra initiative gain, and it can't tag worth a drat. Entirely outclassed by Pistol/Pistol for power ranged damage, and Shortbow for tagging.
Engineer Sword: Loses too much oomph without the heat mechanic.
Warrior Torch: By no means a bad weapon but neither Bladesworn nor Spellbreaker can do condition damage so it's irrelevant.
Guardian Axe: Unrelenting Criticism is a huge chunk of the weapon's damage and it's basically not worth using without that, since the only other build you'd use it on is Condition Willbender and the superior attack speed of Sword and Scepter means you can do better.
Mirage Axe: Doesn't generate a meaningful amount of blades for Condition Virtuoso, and loses a lot of damage to begin with without Mirrored Axes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

i'm going to run axe/sword guardian anyway because it's cool. maybe pair it with a longbow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like burning the poo poo out of things with death flames!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meeko posted:

TBH i wouldn't say it's the only dud.

Guardian offhand Sword - Weak even on its home class, won't suddenly see any use on the other two specs.
Revenant Shortbow: Renegade is the only spec that can really do a condition damage deal. Celestial Vindicator will still prefer Hammer for ranged tagging, as Shortbow isn't really that good at tagging without Heartpiercer, and if you're in melee range for the dodge already mace is superior, especially without heartpiercer's damage bonus.
Thief Rifle: This is just garbage without the Malicious Sneak Attack, loses a lot without Deadeye's extra initiative gain, and it can't tag worth a drat. Entirely outclassed by Pistol/Pistol for power ranged damage, and Shortbow for tagging.
Engineer Sword: Loses too much oomph without the heat mechanic.
Warrior Torch: By no means a bad weapon but neither Bladesworn nor Spellbreaker can do condition damage so it's irrelevant.
Guardian Axe: Unrelenting Criticism is a huge chunk of the weapon's damage and it's basically not worth using without that, since the only other build you'd use it on is Condition Willbender and the superior attack speed of Sword and Scepter means you can do better.
Mirage Axe: Doesn't generate a meaningful amount of blades for Condition Virtuoso, and loses a lot of damage to begin with without Mirrored Axes.

Yeah going into this my biggest question is how are the weapons that heavily interact with an elite spec's mechanics going to work and the answer seems to be "not well"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

i'm going to run axe/sword guardian anyway because it's cool. maybe pair it with a longbow.

yeah this is mostly how I decide on weapons as well. Scepter/sword and longbow might be my ideal setup and then we'll see what the pistols are like later on

I tried thief rifle and remembered pretty quickly why I barely used it.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'm back in after many many years out of the game and with so much stuff to catch up on and my only question is.

Why is my inventory full of this (PvP) equipment, and can I get rid of it?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

TheNabster posted:

Why is my inventory full of this (PvP) equipment,

PvP used to have its own set of armor and weapon skins to use, but since 2014 they've been rolled into a unified Wardrobe system.

TheNabster posted:

can I get rid of it?

Yes

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Just go to the pvp lobby and the gear will vanish.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

decided to take another swing at the last two achievements I need to get wynne's locket, which is the last thing I need for the bioluminescent footwear collection, which is the last thing I need for the overall bioluminescent collection and the much-desired title attached to it.

"Dodgy Crowd" belongs in textbooks as an example of just utterly shitfuckingly bad design. Unfamiliar player kit? check. Zero margin for error? check. lots of padding before the part in question? check. Washed-out sepia filter that makes it hard to see the effects you're trying to avoid? check. honestly think this achievement has done more to turn me off the game over the years than anything else ingame.

all that venting outta the way, i am pretty excited for this next expansion. I'm not sure the weapons opening up across specs will do much for me personally but it's good to see, I think. Hoping axe/pistol firebrand gets to be pretty fuckin sweet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish there was a music-themed class.
With leggys you can fake it but that's so much loving effort c'mon anet I've been here since beta gimme a goddamn break.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wish they'd brought in paragon in some form, i thought it was genuinely a neat idea in how it played out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Genuinely surprised there's never been a monk or fistfighter of some kind

Like I guess Daredevil has that one utility but that's seriously it??

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I don't know if i'm running with or against popular opinion on this take, but I'm really happy with the recent changes to Scrapper to the point it's got me playing my Engi main again.

Super Speed upkeep always felt like a chore, but setting off blast finishers in fields is just my natural state

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Genuinely surprised there's never been a monk or fistfighter of some kind

Like I guess Daredevil has that one utility but that's seriously it??

The willbender utilities and elite are big on punching and kicking if that counts? I guess because there's ultimately no "unarmed" or fist type weapon it's pretty tricky to make weapon skills like that.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

I wish there was a music-themed class.
With leggys you can fake it but that's so much loving effort c'mon anet I've been here since beta gimme a goddamn break.

It's kind of a problem Lord of the Rings Online's running into with Mariner, only worse for GW2's limited ability number: music based classes in MMOs wind up with either practically no musical identity, or their sound effects get horrifically spammy/get on people's nerves.

You see it in other mmos too, like how lost ark's 'bard' is just a bunch of keyboard smash/quick chords, or how XIV's bard barely has anything to do with music.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don’t think they were asking for actual piano-style gameplay (Ele already exists :v: ), but just a music themed/flavored spec. Virtuoso is probably the closest of the existing options.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

whydirt posted:

I don’t think they were asking for actual piano-style gameplay (Ele already exists :v: ), but just a music themed/flavored spec. Virtuoso is probably the closest of the existing options.

Exactly. I don't want to play music, I want spells that play little tunes.

City of Heroes just released one but I haven't checked it out yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I wish GW2 did better was make better use of it's combat system that still feels really good 10 years later, but there is very little challenging to actually use it on, at the low end of open world you can kill everything with auto attacks due to power creep, at the high end of 5-10 man group content you just stack in a boonball until a mechanic forces you to go somewhere else before balling back up.

If the low end of player power was brought up Anet could make open world content that was more challenging without having people rage because their unoptimized build or gear can't handle a pocket raptor.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You’d have to greatly reduce character customization options to bring the floor up.

A character specced for full damage in Ascended gear with correct traits and good runes and sigils is doing an order of magnitude or more damage than a random in gear they got from leveling and Personal Story rewards even before accounting for optimized skill usage.

Alternatively, anet could bring back Hard Mode from GW1 where you have versions of open world maps with more/tougher mobs that also have better drops.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

whydirt posted:

I think there's a misunderstanding here, it's not style of gameplay that's the problem, it's the total amount of skills you can have equipped - or rather, the lack thereof. There's not enough abilities to make 'music' work, because you'll wind up with repeating sounds, which also can't be very long or they'll sound like garbage overlapping. Maybe sound-based but you still run into the problem of a small set of very distinctive, disruptive sounds being played over and over.

Also the nightmare of trying to make musical tunes sound good both with and without quickness.

e: to be clear i'd like it too, i'm a sucker for bards, i just don't think there's any way to make it work and not be an auditory mess.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 5, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
They can make the instruments kits, like the novelty instruments, and the player must actually play songs to produce effects. I think New World has a system kind of like that.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

MajorBonnet posted:

They can make the instruments kits, like the novelty instruments, and the player must actually play songs to produce effects. I think New World has a system kind of like that.
Or combos on all skills that in turn change into more combos that represent verses and choruses. Combos everywhere. Also, virtuoso should've been this with instruments thrown at enemies instead of daggers and an elite skill that is an AOE piano fall.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Condi Virtuoso may as well be dropping pianos on enemies, it's benching 41k right now and feels totally busted.

After Alac Mirage got nerfed, I repurposed my gear for Condi Virtuoso instead. Even with exotic gear and only a handful of ascended gear, it's still super strong. If you're looking for a solid ranged DPS class, I highly recommend it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
All they have to do is let you equip an instrument at the same time as a your weapons so you can be playing the flute while mashing cooldowns doing your rotation. It'd sound really good, trust me.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mercury_Storm posted:

All they have to do is let you equip an instrument at the same time as a your weapons so you can be playing the flute while mashing cooldowns doing your rotation. It'd sound really good, trust me.

The beginner rotation plays Hot Cross Buns. The optimal rotation plays Through the Fire and the Flames.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I would legit love a strike/fractal where one player has to do the music minigame from Wintersday as a mechanic

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

People in game were saying DE, which I assume is deadeye, was op

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

CODChimera posted:

People in game were saying DE, which I assume is deadeye, was op

I want to try Power Quickness Deadeye next, although it's as durable as a napkin, it's still pumping out 40k as a boon DPS. The fact you can run it in pure Berserker/Assassin gear is mildly infuriating, since my Druid is forced to have literally 100% boon duration and her Alacrity still falls off. CMC and his merry band of balance devs are not very good at this.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I returned to this game a while back and ran into an annoying issue, which I've been unable to solve. Basically, I get a constant popup notification right above my entire chat window saying "your current ability is fully trained and ready to master." It keeps reappearing any time I earn any experience and is incredibly distracting, not to mention inconvenient for following discussions in chat.

Google searches revealed identical problems dating all the way to 2017. One person had reported fixing this issue by playing the plot out of order, by completing the first part of Heart of Thorns and unlocking that particular mastery progression. Tried that and spoiled some plot, but the popup remains. This thread is pretty much my last hope of figuring out what to do, since customer service seems unresponsive.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Quill posted:

I returned to this game a while back and ran into an annoying issue, which I've been unable to solve. Basically, I get a constant popup notification right above my entire chat window saying "your current ability is fully trained and ready to master." It keeps reappearing any time I earn any experience and is incredibly distracting, not to mention inconvenient for following discussions in chat.

Google searches revealed identical problems dating all the way to 2017. One person had reported fixing this issue by playing the plot out of order, by completing the first part of Heart of Thorns and unlocking that particular mastery progression. Tried that and spoiled some plot, but the popup remains. This thread is pretty much my last hope of figuring out what to do, since customer service seems unresponsive.

There are more unlockable mastery lines that have been added to the game since HoT/2017. It could be one, several, or all of those that are triggering the problem. If the only real solution is to just unlock the relevant mastery, you may have several more spoilers ahead.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I was afraid that might be the case. Guess I'll be spoiling the first part from Path of Fire next, since I own that one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Wow that last fight of the demon arc of dragons end living story don't get you much loot (like, exactly 3 bits of scrap in my case) do they. Yikes. It took nearly an hour and they were like "wow great job, here's a bit of random junk I found on the ground outside". I mean at least knock like ... two of the phases off it. I got more loot killing the mobs on the way to the quest marker.