Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Theres a carbine version of the 416! I used to have one! but no, now we gotta deal with two different types of ammo because reasons. I absolutely agree it's an overengineered sensitive piece of poo poo, that will fail way too easily and is way more complicated to maintain than it should be. At least the old MP5s shared ammo with our sidearms and could take any amount of punishment. I literally dropped mine off a mountainside once. worked fine after.
I guess its just like everything else, gotta look futuristic and tech-y and it's not like the guys who sign the contracts for procurement ever have to deal with the logistics or using the poo poo.

is there a specific point in time where HK started being poo poo? i remember the g3 i had to lug around while in the armed forces was manufactured during the early nixon administration and still worked like a charm after four decades of abuse by conscripts and reservists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Then there's 10mm Auto and .40 S&W, which NATO never got around to issuing a STANAG on, but have sort of passed out of fashion with the rest of the Wonder Nines.

It's just going to be 9mm forever, I dunno why they keep loving around with this tbh.

Comrade Koba posted:

is there a specific point in time where HK started being poo poo? i remember the g3 i had to lug around while in the armed forces was manufactured during the early nixon administration and still worked like a charm after four decades of abuse by conscripts and reservists.

When they were hired to fix the SA80, the curse passed on to them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nuclear War posted:

Theres a carbine version of the 416! I used to have one! but no, now we gotta deal with two different types of ammo because reasons. I absolutely agree it's an overengineered sensitive piece of poo poo, that will fail way too easily and is way more complicated to maintain than it should be. At least the old MP5s shared ammo with our sidearms and could take any amount of punishment. I literally dropped mine off a mountainside once. worked fine after.
I guess its just like everything else, gotta look futuristic and tech-y and it's not like the guys who sign the contracts for procurement ever have to deal with the logistics or using the poo poo.

Ironically enough, as much as Forgotten Weapons and similar guntubers love the Stg-44 and thought it would win the Germans the war, the US army thought it was heavy, unbalanced, and unreliable…which is probably was. It performed well in very cold weather usually because it overheated in hotter settings, had a tricky magazine, and required a specialized new round the Germans had to produce while they were in the middle of losing a war.

The German arms industry need something with a better ROI than Mausers the Brass naturally signed off on it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Jul 4, 2023

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Comrade Koba posted:

I mean, i like the HK416 for being light ish and still big enough to be easy to shoot, but I never really got to use the battle rifles like the G3, they were phased out just as i started my stellar career of being hosed by the green uniformed dick. I've heard its unwieldy because its so long though, and what with the calibre the ammo weighs a ton.

I think the HK416 was a good move. smaller calibre, more advanced internals that stand up reasonably well. It's a good gun, all told. someone like FF or Ardennes would have to talk about when they started producing poo poo, all i know is I got an MP7 which was supposed to be a wunderwaffe and i hate it. its small, too small to feel comfortable with while shootingif you're semi tall, breaks or jams if you look at it wrong, uses a type of ammo no other gun uses (416 now shares ammo with squad support weapons) and is just very fiddly all round.
Im the furthest thing from high speed low drag operator though, so i dont get much mileage out of the fact that it looks and sounds like a futuristic little laser gun. That might be the problem really

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Why have them in the hands of skinheads just hanging around Kiev?

because those skinheads are your insurance against being taken out by some rival with armed skinheads of their own and/or in case ukraine loses and the rump state that's left descends into a civil war

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vomik posted:

lol this sucks bad

I apologize for saying that; that was out of line.

e: I also apologize to everyone for dragging out the discussion as much as I did last night. I'll drop it until we learn something new.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Jul 4, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

That’s literally what I’m claiming. My whole point is that I don’t think Ukraine will blow up the plant unless they think they have no chance of occupying that territory ever again.

I mean, you explicitly said "Neither side believes they're in a desperate situation, though." That's a pretty wild claim, since it's extremely possible, if not outright likely, that Ukraine views the current situation as being pretty desperate.

From Ukraine's perspective, it is very easy to interpret the results of the counteroffensive thus far as "their last serious attempt at turning the war around failing."

edit: Put another way, up until the counter-offensive Ukraine could have told itself "once we do the counter-offensive with our fancy new Leopard tanks (etc), we'll turn the tide of this war." Now that the counter-offensive has begun and appears to not be going so well, it could (probably correctly) lead Ukrainian leadership to conclude that they're hosed and don't really have any way of winning the war without more direct NATO participation. So it's extremely plausible that they might become desperate soon in a way they haven't been up until this point.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Jul 4, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nuclear War posted:

I mean, i like the HK416 for being light ish and still big enough to be easy to shoot, but I never really got to use the battle rifles like the G3, they were phased out just as i started my stellar career of being hosed by the green uniformed dick. I've heard its unwieldy because its so long though, and what with the calibre the ammo weighs a ton.

I think the HK416 was a good move. smaller calibre, more advanced internals that stand up reasonably well. It's a good gun, all told. someone like FF or Ardennes would have to talk about when they started producing poo poo, all i know is I got an MP7 which was supposed to be a wunderwaffe and i hate it. its small, too small to feel comfortable with while shootingif you're semi tall, breaks or jams if you look at it wrong, uses a type of ammo no other gun uses (416 now shares ammo with squad support weapons) and is just very fiddly all round.
Im the furthest thing from high speed low drag operator though, so i dont get much mileage out of the fact that it looks and sounds like a futuristic little laser gun. That might be the problem really

There is a HK forum where former engineers like to shoot the poo poo. That would be a much better place to look, but from what I've gleaned, and keep in mind, I'm out of the loop - and not a small arms guy, was never on a small arms program, carried a rubber rifle on exercise when I had a staff position - so bear with me. My understanding is:

- The G36 is the most expensive service rifle ever adopted (at the time, that was before the US' new toy)

- It was adapted as part of the Conventional Defence arguments in NATO in the 80's. To prevent the US from nuking Germany, each West Germany infantryman had to be X% more effective/efficient than his Warsaw Pact counterpart. They spared no expense. Every West German conscript of their million man army would get The Rifle of the Future to keep Ivan at bay.

- It had the bad luck to enter service right as the Cold War ended

- HK then had to find export clients pronto to balance the books.

- The Cold War ending flooded the global arms market with surplus weapons.

- Nobody in the Global South could afford the G36.

- Anybody with money was scaling back their conventional militaries anyway and retained rifles that might have been retired in favour of the G36 had the Cold War continued.

- HK then developed downgraded export models but still found customers lacking and the cost extremely high.

- The US was interested, and they were the only ones spending money after 1991.

- The G36 met all of the US requirements but US officials didn't like how it looked, cue XM8.

- XM8 cancelled.

- Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo

- HK416.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

There is a HK forum where former engineers like to shoot the poo poo. That would be a much better place to look, but from what I've gleaned, and keep in mind, I'm out of the loop - and not a small arms guy, was never on a small arms program, carried a rubber rifle on exercise when I had a staff position - so bear with me. My understanding is:

- The G36 is the most expensive service rifle ever adopted (at the time, that was before the US' new toy)

- It was adapted as part of the Conventional Defence arguments in NATO in the 80's. To prevent the US from nuking Germany, each West Germany infantryman had to be X% more effective/efficient than his Warsaw Pact counterpart. They spared no expense. Every West German conscript of their million man army would get The Rifle of the Future to keep Ivan at bay.

- It had the bad luck to enter service right as the Cold War ended

- HK then had to find export clients pronto to balance the books.

- The Cold War ending flooded the global arms market with surplus weapons.

- Nobody in the Global South could afford the G36.

- Anybody with money was scaling back their conventional militaries anyway and retained rifles that might have been retired in favour of the G36 had the Cold War continued.

- HK then developed downgraded export models but still found customers lacking and the cost extremely high.

- The US was interested, and they were the only ones spending money after 1991.

- The G36 met all of the US requirements but US officials didn't like how it looked, cue XM8.

- XM8 cancelled.

- Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo

- HK416.

Most stupid part of that story is how it sounds like a massive planning blunder until you remember it's military procurement so it's just another Tuesday.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, you explicitly said "Neither side believes they're in a desperate situation, though." That's a pretty wild claim, since it's extremely possible, if not outright likely, that Ukraine views the current situation as being pretty desperate.

From Ukraine's perspective, it is very easy to interpret the results of the counteroffensive thus far as "their last serious attempt at turning the war around failing."

They're now grabbing 50+ year old desk workers in Kiev to fight. It's absolutely existential for Ukrainians.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacetoaster posted:

It's absolutely existential for Ukrainians.

Yeah, it's word 5/14.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Post on the "British government tells Soviets that Ukrainian concentration camp guards are needed to bring in the harvest this year, 'we'll return them next year'" page

this is a funny joke from a few pages ago. they didn't return their concentration camp guards like they said, fast forward 60 years, and oops all coronavirus :ssh: gladio rules everything around me lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

They're now grabbing 50+ year old desk workers in Kiev to fight. It's absolutely existential for Ukrainians.

The Ukrainian government at least…

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

The leftmost is East German, second from right Romanian, right?

The MP7 is sort of funny because it's a direct competitor to the P90. The P90 was too expensive and complex, but people like the pistol, the FiveSeven. The pistol HK made to accompany the MP7 was trash and never adopted. So now, developed from the early 90's idea to have a new universal calibre for pistols and PDWs to replace 9mm sidearms and SMGs, there are two - one in a pistol and one in a PDW.

The P90 is worth the cost. It defended Earth from the Goa'uld.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Earth was lucky their alien enemy was kind of dumb.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1676217262288535559?s=20

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that feeling when you escape your fate to be sent to the gulag and get sent to belarus instead

just to find out they built the gulag in belarus

also pictured, very dangerous mass murder weapon the russian shovel

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bro thinks hes american 😂😂😂

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is that? A refugee shelter in Belarus?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1676284457412599821?t=V-v7XCQhmlatq8zQ2bGpiw&s=19

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1676288130427527181?t=kXO87VikBQn9r9KCJfuJ2w&s=19

Hmm one of the biggest metal bands in Ukraine are a bunch of nazis? That does sound newsworthy, Neil.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What is that? A refugee shelter in Belarus?

Probably the field camp for Wagner.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/lDeWtBS.mp4

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What Nazi poo poo is thia about?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He’s just going so he can reflect on how evil Nazism is. He learned it from Harlan Crow!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Earth was lucky their alien enemy was kind of dumb.

The goa'uld were an empire run by insular, infighting elites in charge of an army of brainless unwilling goons, the fact that they couldn't produce armour resistant to 5.7mm in a timely manner is pretty accurate if real life is any indication.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Are those ballistic plates designed to be used in body armor?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Why have them in the hands of skinheads just hanging around Kiev?

Did you miss the whole wagner saga?

The praetorians need that gear, in case the troops get uppity

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

supersnowman posted:

Are those ballistic plates designed to be used in body armor?

yes, and they're definitely designed to have screws driven through the corners

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope one of the questions is what do they think about the 14 words

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Isn't this guy a comedian?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgardsrei_festival

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Location(s) Moscow, Russia (2012–2013) Kyiv, Ukraine (2014–present)

:thunk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get ready to click Play on the video, and I tell myself "I'm not going to laugh this time. I'm prepared for it"

But I'm not.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

brother war

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

What Nazi poo poo is thia about?

its even worse - warhams poo poo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The leftmost is East German, second from right Romanian, right?

The MP7 is sort of funny because it's a direct competitor to the P90. The P90 was too expensive and complex, but people like the pistol, the FiveSeven. The pistol HK made to accompany the MP7 was trash and never adopted. So now, developed from the early 90's idea to have a new universal calibre for pistols and PDWs to replace 9mm sidearms and SMGs, there are two - one in a pistol and one in a PDW.

The MP7 ended the genocidal Combine colonial rule in conjunction with the RPG :colbert:.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

It is a German weapon, it must be kept absolutely clean and pristine or else! I am usually pretty cynical I think but even I was surprised how thin the armor on the top of a Leo 2 turret was.

Kornet didn't get a top attack mode until 5 years ago and that would have been the big atgm threat at the time I presume.

https://tass.com/defense/1018521

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

its even worse - warhams poo poo

Six in one hand

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

some early fireworks for ya :dadjoke:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1676299884427636741

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Both of the most famous Ukranian black metal bands are Nazi bands (Drudkh's the other), must be some sort of weird coincidence