Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Nice! Lake Ingalls trail, I assume? Great hike and Teanaway/Red Top/First Creek is one of my favorite areas.

re: Gaia, there is currently a promo where you can subscribe to Outside+ for $29.99 for a year, which includes Gaia as well as a few other resources. That's cheaper than the standalone Gaia subscription, so well worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use Earthmate through Garmin for the most part.

OnX for grouse hunting, I think it costs me like $40 a year which Im always tempted to give up on, but I dont want to trespass on someones land while im schlepping through the woods chasing birds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OnX for grouse hunting, I think it costs me like $40 a year which Im always tempted to give up on, but I dont want to trespass on someones land while im schlepping through the woods chasing birds.

Here’s hoping that corner crossing case in Wyoming ruling in favor of hunters expands to include the entire west.

Best public lands relayed ruling in a long time.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Koppen or Johnson Medra?

jhh
Nov 2, 2006

Clever Saying Goes here

Laterite posted:

Nice! Lake Ingalls trail, I assume? Great hike and Teanaway/Red Top/First Creek is one of my favorite areas.

I was just out on Teanaway ridge for the iron bear peak on Saturday too. I rarely wind up on the east side of the cascades - care to recommend a trail there?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same. It's a bit of a drive for a day hike and it's pretty hot/dry in the summer but it's somewhere I need to check out more. It's really beautiful out there. I wish I had planned sooner or brought overnight stuff to go to engals lake.

Longs pass was short but fun and the payoff was insane.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just got a renewal notice for Gaia and didn’t realized they bumped the annual sub from $20 to $40. Annoying.

I use AllTrails a lot as well.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
This is probably not a thing that exists (and maybe not the thread to post it in), but are there any websites or apps that will give you a list of open/available campsites given a certain time frame or area?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Recreation dot gov will do that for any federal campgrounds that allow reservations. Doesn't cover state, county, or private though.

For non reservable / first-come sites, by their very nature I don't think there's any live resource about what's available.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
There are a few apps of varying usefulness but the general ones are the following. Camping has started to catch onto the digital age but very slowly and most of the stuff is pretty clunky.

Recreation.gov — Federal land (national parks, national forest etc)
Reserve America - State land (state parks etc)

There are others like hipcamp or the dyrt but I think a lot of those are private land/hosted sites. Ive never used them as I generally choose to disperse camp instead. A lot of campgrounds are still first come first serve, or they prefer call-in reservations vs app/website driven reservations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you, both!

Yes, I was thinking of reservable sites. We’ve got kids who want to invite friends with us now, so our days of spontaneous, wherever camping are probably numbered.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wife and I just got home from a week in Hawai'i and did some short hikes while we were there, mostly around Kilauea (we got to see the active eruption and were still there watching when it stopped - sorry for breaking it) and around Hilo. It was all just breathtaking and I want to go back ASAP.

We also did a little caving in non-touristy lava tubes, and I am absolutely hooked. I could have easily spent a lot more time doing that.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

newts posted:

This is probably not a thing that exists (and maybe not the thread to post it in), but are there any websites or apps that will give you a list of open/available campsites given a certain time frame or area?

Might check it your state has anything. Ohio has registrations for all it's state campsites online I believe. Not sure what other states do this.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Might check it your state has anything. Ohio has registrations for all it's state campsites online I believe. Not sure what other states do this.

I’m in Colorado. Recreation.gov has most of what I need.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm getting into some more remote hikes that are accessible by offroad trails. It's not stuff that is super remote, but it's the kind of stuff where you might not see another person the entire time. I realized last weekend that I'd be pretty screwed if I got hurt out there with no cell signal. I started looking at PLBs, but then I saw that iPhone 14 has an emergency satellite SOS system built in.

I read through this documentation and it seems like a fairly robust system: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

Does anyone have experience with it? I'm willing to go the PLB route if that's what I need to be safe, but I could use a new phone soon anyways. My iPhone XR is nearing 5 years old and if I can upgrade it and make myself safer on hikes, that would be awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't needed to use the iPhone SOS yet but I have used the satellite update to 'find my'. It generally works but really does need a clear view of the sky, I've had location updates fail because of tree cover. I've also had updates go through trees just fine so it feels kinda random.

There are stories of people getting rescued with it so it is a valuable system but I'm not sure I would rely on it as my sole option. Would suck to be in a dense forest with a busted leg and kill your battery trying to get a message out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

xzzy posted:

I haven't needed to use the iPhone SOS yet but I have used the satellite update to 'find my'. It generally works but really does need a clear view of the sky, I've had location updates fail because of tree cover. I've also had updates go through trees just fine so it feels kinda random.

There are stories of people getting rescued with it so it is a valuable system but I'm not sure I would rely on it as my sole option. Would suck to be in a dense forest with a busted leg and kill your battery trying to get a message out.

Thanks, that's an important point. I'm doing SC/GA/NC which is basically all forested areas.

I just watched this video and he also says the antenna is more heavily impacted by trees, mountains, etc. than something like a Garmin inReach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2m89XASOdo

He also made the point that it's free, but only for 2 years. After that it's a $15 per month subscription, so at that point one of the huge selling points (no sub cost) goes out the window.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I personally expect to see Apple improve the technology over the next couple of years, but at this moment wouldn’t rely on it as a sole means of rescue communication unless I thought there was a good chance someone would find me even if it didn’t work. An inReach/Spot/etc is still the go-to right now.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
If you are concerned about this, get an inreach, yeah.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Freaquency posted:

I personally expect to see Apple improve the technology over the next couple of years, but at this moment wouldn’t rely on it as a sole means of rescue communication unless I thought there was a good chance someone would find me even if it didn’t work. An inReach/Spot/etc is still the go-to right now.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

If you are concerned about this, get an inreach, yeah.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I was standing at an unblazed trailhead last weekend and I ended up doing something else because I couldn't shake the thought, "I'm screwed if something happens down there..."

I want the peace of mind that I can get in touch with somebody if I get lost, fall, have some kind of health issue, or whatever else.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah Garmin all the way. They have plans that can be turned on and off monthly as well which can save you some bucks if you wont use it in the winter for example.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have an InReach, and it's still not great when going through heavy tree cover. Not sure how much better than the iPhone solution it is there, but heavy tree cover can still present a problem.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

inReach is also great for basic "I'm fine" or "I'm late but fine" updates to friends/family - whoever it was that you told roughly where you were going. Which hopefully is also something you're doing.

e: or like "uh oh, I need you to come get me but it's not a helicopter-level emergency"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

incogneato posted:

In addition to going up Aasgard Pass rather than down, Colchuck trailhead is significantly higher in elevation than Snow Lakes. Going Colchuck to Snow Lakes is generally more downhill than the opposite direction (relatively speaking).

When we camped at Snow Lakes, we saw quite a few groups passing by heading out towards the trailhead well after dark. From the overhead conversations it seems that many of them didn't plan for that or were a bit demoralized by not beating the sun. Bring a headlamp and extra batteries, start early. Having said that, once you hit Snow Lakes it's a pretty non- technical trail. There are worse trails to hike in the dark.

There is plenty of water at almost all points along the trail (especially in the Core), so I'd pack a filter and not worry about carrying too much.

Edit: I should add that I have never through hiked the loop either. I've only been to Snow Lakes and the Core. I've considered doing the loop in a day in the future though, so I'd love to hear a trip report if you end up going for it.

Verman posted:

I haven't through hiked it but I've done Lake Stuart to Core zone and back in a day which is ~ 15 miles and a bunch of vert/gain. The day before we had scrambled up the ridge between Stuart and Eightmile. Probably not the best idea the day before a massive hike to the core zone. It was pretty brutal and I was in pretty good shape then. I was with two buddies and we left around 8am to day hike up to the core zone. We got up to the core zone about an hour before sundown. I don't think we got back to camp at lake stuart until 1-2am. We ran out of food/snacks for the day and were starving. One of my buddies sprained his ankle going to the shitter before we left so he was hobbling all day and the other was a slow hiker. My body went into auto pilot once we hit colchuck and felt like I could've kept going forever.

Ive heard the through hike is pretty daunting (19 miles? and 4500 gain), plan to use up the whole day from sun up to sun down but you'll see great stuff. If I remember correctly, the upper zone doesn't really melt out until mid july etc.

If I were chosing a direction, I would start at at colchuck and go to towards snow lakes. I would rather go up aasgard earlier vs going down it after a bunch of miles. I think the snow lake route is gentler going down, but not much. I would try to start very early in the dark as the trail going to colchuck is pretty easy. This will give you the most daylight while up there and going down and out.

What time of year did you guys go to the Enchantments? I'm really split between August, which will have longer hours of sun for a long-rear end hike, maybe also more water, but also more bugs; early October which is larch season; and splitting the difference and going in September which in my experience is a lovely month in WA overall but is also the peak of smoke season.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What time of year did you guys go to the Enchantments? I'm really split between August, which will have longer hours of sun for a long-rear end hike, maybe also more water, but also more bugs; early October which is larch season; and splitting the difference and going in September which in my experience is a lovely month in WA overall but is also the peak of smoke season.

I went the last week of August, although that was more for working around me and my hiking partner's schedule than anything else. Weather was perfect. I don't remember bugs being bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

IIRC it was mid july and everything above aasgard was still buried in snow. Aasgard itself was dry but upper/core zone was several feet of slushy snow/ice still. Its a tough choice because early season can be a crapshoot based on weather/snow, mid season weather is fantastic but it can get smoky and buggy, late season can be incredible weather and scenery but it can also be smoky or bad weather.

Personally if I ever go back to the enchantments, I will someday, I will try to go in early october to see the larch trees. I think my choice would either be august, hopefully before the fire season, or october. I feel like september is predictably smoky now.

Last year we had permits for core zone but that was during the fire burning nearby and we opted not to go as conditions would've been miserable and worsening while we were there. We opted to do the Blue glacier hike at olympic national park instead.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hello everyone. Just starting my hiking journey and wondering if theres any sydney goons with some recommendations? I'm going to TAFE in a few weeks for a quick 9 month diploma and I need some head clearing trails for my days off.
I've got alltrails and have added the usuals to my list, heathcote waterfall kiama gerringong etc. Any others I should be made aware of?
I prefer rocky stuff and a moderate difficulty rather than a 'bush walk'.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Saw this cute guy while out with the doggos today!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Saw this cute guy while out with the doggos today!

Looks more like a fun guy :dadjoke:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Just got back from Emigrant Wilderness. There's still a ton of snow around, not just on the high peaks but down in the shady areas too. And the hotter weather is making it melt fast now. Every creek could be anywhere from knee-high and gentle to waist-high and raging. Some of them were quite different when I came in from when I came out.

I went in at Bell Meadow (right near Pinecrest), and it was 89º F at 5 p.m there, 6500' elevation. I'd planned to head over near Hyatt Lake & Yellowhammer. However, West Cherry Creek was running too high and fast. With all the snow melt, it was likely possible that I could have crossed in the early morning, but I didn't want to risk getting stuck. The falls were spectacular, though. I ended up doing a loop around inside the creek lines (down Louse Canyon & up Piute Creek) and then hiked up to Lake Leopold, which at 8800' was still mostly iced over, and well snowed-in. The view up there was wonderful, though. You could see the Dardanelles and Iceberg just north, and south all the way to Yosemite.

There's no way of knowing what it'll be like in the coming weeks; anyone making plans to go up anywhere in the Sierra should be prepared for altering their route.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

yeah the Sierra Nevada is uh, quite something this year. managed to squeeze enough mileage out of some day-hikes this weekend but certainly not a year for completionists.

Mosquito Flats Trail. pleasant walk to the trailhead along the road which is closed for vehicles. some snowy sections and sometimes that stream is the trail

McGee Creek Trail. a favorite. not sure if it qualifies as a superbloom but an abundance of wildflowers. a bridge gaining deeper access has been destroyed.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I managed to see a herd of Caribou in the Chic Chocs

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

3 weeks till I'm in Banff and I'm getting excited

i dont feel physically ready at all but ive lost a poo poo ton of weight over the last year, so i'll be able to gut through it lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ever since I started hiking again, my youtube recs are like 25% bear attack survivor videos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head down to the Engadine Lodge for lunch and everyone in there will be chattering about some random grizzly sighting.

The marshland below the lodge will have several moose in the evening too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

good morning from a mountain in South Carolina

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ehud posted:

good morning from a mountain in South Carolina

You found the one good spot in the state

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What does stiff neck-muscles after a hike mean?

I did a 20km day-hike thursday and my neck is still pretty tight today, sunday. I didn't weigh my pack, but it wasn't too heavy. Just food/water for two people + a jacket/binoculars.

It was very hilly, but a beautiful hike. Nationalpark Mols Bjerge, if you're ever in Denmark.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pondex posted:

What does stiff neck-muscles after a hike mean?

I did a 20km day-hike thursday and my neck is still pretty tight today, sunday. I didn't weigh my pack, but it wasn't too heavy. Just food/water for two people + a jacket/binoculars.

It was very hilly, but a beautiful hike. Nationalpark Mols Bjerge, if you're ever in Denmark.

If you were using hiking poles this can just be a bit of muscle soreness from stabilizing the back/shoulder when you press down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

15k in the Bernese Alps today. Started in Kandersteg, ended past Oeschinensee.